• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There are no words: Shadows of the Damned sold 24,000 copies, Child of Eden 34,000

daffy

Banned
ZealousD said:
This is really a failure of EA's marketing department.

Nobody knew this game was coming out when it did. Read the GAF official thread. Even we didn't know this game was coming out.
:lol that's embarrassing

Deadstar said:
Customers aren't willing to pay $60 anymore for a game unless it's a sequel. Of course there are some exceptions but I think that's what we are dealing with.

This isn't true at all.

The problem is that no one knew this game was coming out, or why they should be excited, so no sales.

Not rocket science.

EA's betting the farm on Old Republic and Battlefield 3. Can't blame them, really, seeing as that same formula worked out pretty well for Activision.

I guess we'll just have to get used to a world without Singularity's and Shadows of the Damned

Akia

EA Partners Program = we don't market you unless you're Epic, Valve or Respawn.

I feel bad for Insomniac (Overstrike) and 38 Studios (KofA: Reckoning). They will get shafted.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
SolidSnakex said:
Alice's marketing was really no different and it apparently sold quite a bit better than this.

Yeah, but it was a long-awaited sequel to an established IP.

kenta

Has no PEINS
I still plan to buy it for $40, but it hasn't budged from its full price on Amazon yet

Games are just too expensive, man. Wacky Japanese games need to go the Deadly Premonition route

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
SolidSnakex said:
Alice's marketing was really no different and it apparently sold quite a bit better than this. The reviews also destroyed it.

People are aware of (and possibly interested in) the Alice in Wonderland universe. Less marketing required, I guess.

SolidSnakex said:
Alice's marketing was really no different and it apparently sold quite a bit better than this. The reviews also destroyed it.

Alice had the benefit of being the follow up to a fuck awesome game. The game-savvy among us bought it because we'd had our interest piqued.

schwall20

Banned
I bought it and liked it quite a bit. But let's be real here:

It's for a special audience, can't argue that

It's really a one play through game, for anyone that followed it. Once it's done it's done. Hell new game + or a mercs style would have helped. Making 60 bones tough to swallow.

It wasn't advertised at all.

So while I feel sorry for the devs to not recoup, there were problems with this.

Not saying it needed multiplayer, cause it didn't but, some additional content would've made it better.

Hell what if there was a mercs style and a shooter for a few lvls, after you finish the game?

Just a tough tough sell at $60

jett

D-Member
EA didn't give a single fuck, I've said this before, they were not pleased with the development of this game. I doubt they will co-develop a game with a japanese studio in the near future.

Deadstar said:
Customers aren't willing to pay $60 anymore for a game unless it's a sequel. Of course there are some exceptions but I think that's what we are dealing with.

That's why L.A. Noir was the most sold videogame in the last NPD?

It's a problem of marketing. I knew from L.A. Noir since years ago, and it was very difficult to survive the last months trying to be in a media blackout of the game. But I didn't even know about Shadow of the Damned since last week.

jett said:
EA didn't give a single fuck, I've said this before, they were not pleased with the development of this game. I doubt they will co-develop a game with a japanese studio in the near future.

Any source on this? I'd be interested if there was stuff said about it in interviews.

soultron

Banned
EA failed to market this game. I didn't know it was coming out until the day before. They pushed some (pretty funny) ads online after it was released.

I loved the game though. Still need to play through it again! I'll say it again though: has the quirky charms of God Hand and is a faster+easier RE4 with a focus purely on action.

gabe90

I've never bought a Suda 51 game, but I have always known about them when they come out and thought they looked interesting. This one, I had no clue about. None.

i come to this forum almost every day and even i have no idea what this game is about and i don't give a shit about not knowing either

poor marketing doesn't even begin to describe it

jett said:
What was EA not happy about?

BY2K

Membero Americo
Akia said:
EAP = we don't market you unless you're Epic, Valve or Respawn.

I feel bad for Insomniac (Overstrike) and 38 Studios (KofA: Reckoning). They will get shafted.

What's EAP?

Why buy it for $60 when I can get it for $10 in the bargain bin in 2 weeks? Seriously. If it doesn't have hype, and you can wait, then wait. It won't be long. Price bomba coming, and how.

soultron

Banned
DangerousDave said:
That's why L.A. Noir was the most sold videogame in the last NPD?

It's a problem of marketing. I knew from L.A. Noir since years ago, and it was very difficult to survive the last months trying to be in a media blackout of the game. But I didn't even know about Shadow of the Damned since last week.
Something something Rockstar has amazing marketing something.

But yeah, the poster you quoted made a pretty shoddy statement.

fernoca

I liked what I played of it, but aside the whole "well it's a Suda game"; there's nothing special about it. Everything is either all over the place (visual, pacing, shooting) or just incomplete. Heck Suda, Mikami and Yamaoka been involved in this and still been a mess was what made it even more disappointing to me. (though Yamaoka's music was nice)

Sky Chief

Even people excited for the game knew almost nothing about it and certainly not when it was coming out. Absolutely no marketing at all.

I thought recently EA has been better but I agree with what others have said, they really dropped the ball with Shadows Of The Damned.

I saw ZERO ads or commercials or billboards anywhere! I don't even know if they did print ads. I live in LA and normally when a game comes out big or small you can see some short of ads..heck Duke Nukem Forever billboards are all around, from LA to Long Beach "This guna int gonna #@%@#% itself (whatever that means). Buses still have Portal 2 ads, and a building downtown is covered in SKYrim, which doesn't come out for months.

Sure those are bigger games, but I mean the marketing on shadows of the damned is really like nothing...the day it came out I went to target, walmart and I didn't even see it displayed...

To see how much Ea cares about it check out the official website even that is a joke

http://www.ea.com/shadows-of-the-damned

They like put up one picture and linked to Grasshoppers twitter....

Akia

TheUnknownForce said:
EA Partners. Essentially they publish the game and support smaller developers or new companies. They've not been too successful lately.

Tell me about it:

Shank
Deathspank Part 1/2
Alice
Shadows of the Damned

1-D_FTW

I know Tom Chick really hated it.

True, a lot of console gaf hates Tom Chick, but his tastes are similiar to mine so I enjoy his opinions. He was like, run for the hills on this game.

I thought the gaming media did a pretty good job covering the game (practically all the ones I drop by on have made some mention of it), and it's been getting favorable impressions across the board. I'm a bit surprised it sold THAT poorly.

I guess I'm partly to blame too since I haven't bought it yet either. I was planning to pick it up around Halloween time where it'll probably be cheaper and more in the mood.

Booshka

It also has a really forgettable name. I saw zero marketing on this game, only knew about because of GAF, Weekend Confirmed and the Bombcast. Regardless, I have very little interest in it. I don't even know what the game is about, and I blame that lack of knowledge on EA, they didn't care at all about telling people about the game, let alone try and sell it to them.

Too bad, but that is the games industry these days.

Solid game and I like to think I'm pretty current with new IPs being launched, etc...it was the title that sent the game into the "Not that important" category.

Shadows of the Damned just seemed like an afterthought.

Gundam 4: Shadows of the Damned

Metal Gear Solid 5: Shadows of the Damned

Not saying the title was the sole reason for the game not selling but it seemed like they hit the generate button on the "Create a Title 4 UR Gaem!" spreadsheet and got "Shadows of the Damned"

Top Bottom