• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby's Return to Dreamland - Oct. 24 US - Trailer + Boxart

RagnarokX

MNC said:
Smash Bros Melee (2001 was actually before Amazing Mirror (2004) so Amazing Mirror took that from Smash Bros.

If we're talking about the cutter powerup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hmDvOATe0M&feature=player_detailpage#t=33s

That move has been there since SuperStar :D

Unless you meant that Smash and Kirby tend to go hand in hand. Both are HAL and Sakurai, after all.
The poster I quoted asked "is that kirby doing smash brothers moves on a boss?" so I posted a video of Smash Kirby from Amazing Mirror. I don't see what the confusion is. I'm not saying the moves didn't exist before Smash. I'm showing that poster the only platforming example of Kirby having all of those moves in one power. Smash is basically Superstar turned into a fighting game. Kirby's smash moveset is made up of hammer, fighter, sword, suplex, cutter, and rock.

I don't see how that poster thought Kirby was using his smash moves on a boss from that trailer, though, unless he was talking about Water Kirby being sorta similar to squirtle.

Looks fantastic... I want this game! It looks like classic-style Kirby fun, I'll definitely have to get this. :)

Of course, I've been interested ever since the GC Kirby platformer was announced five years or more ago, but it's great to see that, or something like it, finally happen.

goldenpp72 said:
I think frogger was but I can't say for sure.. I just recall reading it somewhere.
You're right, Frogger was the last SNES release, in 1998 (and it was the last Genesis game too), but Kirby's Dream Land 3, releasing in late 1997, was the last first-party title released in the West for the system.

I like the "Returns" thing that Nintendo has going on to reintroduce its 2D platformers. I'm not sure Kirby needed it, since conventional experiences still exist on handhelds though.

After recently beating Kirby's Dreamland on the portable VC, I hope this game has a super tough Extra Game. I really think that'd solve the issues with Kirby being too easy (albeit always fun).

MNC

RagnarokX said:
The poster I quoted asked "is that kirby doing smash brothers moves on a boss?" so I posted a video of Smash Kirby from Amazing Mirror. I don't see what the confusion is. I'm not saying the moves didn't exist before Smash. I'm showing that poster the only platforming example of Kirby having all of those moves in one power. Smash is basically Superstar turned into a fighting game. Kirby's smash moveset is made up of hammer, fighter, sword, suplex, cutter, and rock.

I don't see how that poster thought Kirby was using his smash moves on a boss from that trailer, though, unless he was talking about Water Kirby being sorta similar to squirtle.
My mistake then.

dwu8991

Banned
Tagg9 said:
Apart from Zelda, I'm betting this will be the best Wii holiday title.

It will easily sell a million copies!
I can see a lot of people who were turned off by epic yarn picking this up.

Freezie KO said:
I like the "Returns" thing that Nintendo has going on to reintroduce its 2D platformers. I'm not sure Kirby needed it, since conventional experiences still exist on handhelds though.

After recently beating Kirby's Dreamland on the portable VC, I hope this game has a super tough Extra Game. I really think that'd solve the issues with Kirby being too easy (albeit always fun).

I think it's quite a clever name choice. It gets across the fact that they're returning to a traditional Kirby Dreamland style with this game, that Kirby has moved away from Patch Land and back to Dreamland and it fits in perfectly with the "Returns" name from DKCR.

Penguin

Info from the banned Nintendo site/Nintendo Power write-up

- Game starts when an alien named Magolor crashes his ship 'Lor Starcutter?' on Pop Star planet
- the pieces end up getting spread throughout Dream Land
- Kirby offers to help find the pieces
- play as Kirby, Meta Knight, Waddle Dee and King Dedede
- visit forests, beaches, caves and deserts
- action on land, in the sea, in the air and in other dimensions
- levels are grouped into various worlds
- each world offers up a ship part when you beat a boss
- level names like Cookie Country and Rasin Ruins
- worlds are accessible via a map screen
- also visit the ship via the map screen to talk with Magolor
- the ship also offers the Copy Ability Challenge Rooms
- new copy abilities like Leaf (surrounds Kirby with leaves) and Whip (lasso enemies)
- Water copy ability lets you surf waves and pound enemies with liquid pillars
- you can also use Water to lift up Kirby
- pressing the attack button with different directions offers up different attacks
- they attacks also change if you're running, jumping or standing
- possess only one copy ability at a time
- certain power-ups like health that can only be accessed with certain weapons
- Super Abilities power up Kirby to the max
- Monster Flame is a Super Ability that summons a giant fire monster to burn a path of destruction
- Flare Beam generates a ball of energy that can be moved around the screen
- Ultra Sword uses wide razor-sharp swings of a sword
- use Super Abilities to clear paths and open up new areas
- Kirby is the only one that can copy abilities and use Super Abilities
- Waddle Dee can attack from a distance and fly
- King Dedede uses his hammer and is slower than the other characters
- no puzzles that require another person to access
- hop on the back of co-op players to let them carry you
- characters can stack on-top of each other
- Meta Knight can fly through areas with other characters on his back
- attack as a team by holding A and releasing at the same time
- the player at the bottom of the stack determines the attack
- players who grab more health than they need can share that extra health by hugging each other
- jump in/out co-op that allows you to change your character whenever you want
- player 1 is always pink Kirby
- camera stays centered on Kirby
- if teammates get left off screen, they are immediately put back by Kirby's side
- can play as 4 Kirbys, but cannot play as multiples of other characters
- 7 Copy Ability Challenge Rooms
- these doors are unlocked by collecting a certain required amount of energy spheres in the main game
- medals are awarded based on how well you do
- be fast, kill all of the room's enemies, search for all coins and don't take any damage to get a gold medal
- each Copy Ability has different collision, grab and pushback properties that are necessary in this mode
- additional modes that Nintendo is keeping secret

krae_man

Played it at PAX. They should have just went with different colored Kirby's. Playing as anyone but Kirby sucks. Sure Meta Knight has a sword and and can fly, but it's way more fun to be Kirby and use the powers.

fernoca

PounchEnvy said:
No more kissing? :(
More like no more:

nWAGz.jpg

krae_man said:
Played it at PAX. They should have just went with different colored Kirby's. Playing as anyone but Kirby sucks. Sure Meta Knight has a sword and and can fly, but it's way more fun to be Kirby and use the powers.

But Metaknight looks identical to his Brawl version :(

BLagiver

Banned
Finally the gamers version of Kirby. That epic yarn stuff was some blues clues junk. I kept waiting for Steve to pop and do the little dance. This is like an upgrade from nick junior to nickelodeon prime time. I'm talking sponge bob level of goodness baby!!

BLagiver said:
Finally the gamers version of Kirby. That epic yarn stuff was some blues clues junk. I kept waiting for Steve to pop and do the little dance. This is like an upgrade from nick junior to nickelodeon prime time. I'm talking sponge bob level of goodness baby!!

Kirby's Epic Yarn was the best game of last year though. :(

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The attack system sounds literally ripped from Brawl. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the dev's working on this at HAL worked on Brawl (hey, they had to be doing something for the past six years.) The multiplayer sounds very well thought out, and besides that, even the non-multiplayer parts sound like they improve the series, like the new abilities and Super Abilities.

Vire said:
Still wish they made Epic Yarn 2...

Adored that game, so much more creative

Maybe it will be a Wii U title? Those beautiful graphics in 1080P!

They have to use Prince Fluff again, anyway. He's just too good to go to waste.

Syril

Andrex said:
The attack system sounds literally ripped from Brawl. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the dev's working on this at HAL worked on Brawl (hey, they had to be doing something for the past six years.) The multiplayer sounds very well thought out, and besides that, even the non-multiplayer parts sound like they improve the series, like the new abilities and Super Abilities.

Kirby and Smash Bros. had the same creator, Masahiro Sakurai. Lots of Smash elements are taken from Kirby Super Star on the SNES. In The Amazing Mirror, you could even fight Master Hand and gain the Smash power from him.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Andrex said:
The Gamecube game announced in 2004 was built off of Melee, so it makes since. Especially since the First Smash Brothers was built off Kirby 64.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Syril said:
Kirby and Smash Bros. had the same creator, Masahiro Sakurai. Lots of Smash elements are taken from Kirby Super Star on the SNES. In The Amazing Mirror, you could even fight Master Hand and gain the Smash power from him.

Yes, I know. But what happens often is that when the creator of a series leaves, the game starts going in a different direction (which is what I expected was happening when Epic Yarn was announced, but then it turned out HAL wasn't making that...) I think Sakurai had quite the impression on whoever he left behind at HAL that they can still make a Kirby game feel so much like a Kirby game, and even borrow elements from Sakurai's other directed game, Brawl.

Busaiku

Andrex said:
The original Kirby looked pretty much like Subspace Emissary.
The horrible speed and all.

sfried said:
So wait...no Adeleine?
Yeah, that, and that the game doesn't seem to have power combinations, are about my only complaints with this game. They are unfortunate, but the game looks great, certainly one of the best looking games this holiday season. :)

I just want to know one thing, which I'm not sure about -- does this game have infinite flight, like the other Kirby games, or limited, like Kirby 64 and SSB Kirby? I'm really hoping that it's infinite, because the limited flight was one of Kirby 64's biggest flaws.

Drkirby said:
The Gamecube game announced in 2004 was built off of Melee, so it makes since. Especially since the First Smash Brothers was built off Kirby 64.
Does anyone know for sure whether this is the game that was announced in 2004 or whether it's another game that just looks quite similar, started several years after that one was abandoned?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I just wish you could choose to play as Dedede or the others single player.

It's kind of lame that Kirby is always forced on first player

Top Bottom