• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Blu-Ray Coming to Xbox 360

According to the rumor section of the August 2011 edition of the Xbox 360 Mag Italy, Microsoft is supposedly gearing up to release an external Blu-ray drive for their highly successful Xbox 360 console.

If proven to to factually correct, the enticing addition of a Blu-ray drive could be a direct measure to counter the PS3′s rising momentum – following the highly publicized price cut announced by Sony at Gamescom 2011.

An interesting selection of rumors have surfaced over the years relating to the possible introduction of an add-on Blu-ray drive for Xbox 360, with SmartHouse previously reporting that Microsoft intended to release both an external Blu-ray drive and also a fully-fledged, Blu-ray-enabled console.

“Insiders at Microsoft in the USA have told SmartHouse that Microsoft has already configured a standalone Blu-ray player that can be connected into an Xbox 360 and that subject to internal marketing and sales approvals the model could be on sale within 3 months,” stated Smarthouse back in 2008.

The magazine did not elaborate on whether the rumored Xbox 360 Blu-ray drive would be utilized solely for the viewing of high definition movies, or whether the drive would usher in the availability of an increase in disc space for gaming.

The Blu-ray drive will most likely be a simple add-on for the console, as the idea of segmenting the user-base is absolutely insane to say the least.
Link
This would be cool but if this is true, it is probably going to be next years "big new console launch" for Microsoft at E3. If it is the big launch is a new old console it would be highly disappointing because lets face it, technology has evolved and games could be way better than they are now if we had some better hardware for consoles. We need a "new" new console now, not another revamp.

Probably bullshit

Microsoft has nothing to gain at this point in the consoles life cycle by doing this. People can buy dirt cheap standalones if they really want this.

DSN2K

I think that ship has long gone, if MS were going to put BR in the 360 they would have with the redesign. It was perfect time and they chose not to.

Their next console is bound to go the same route as Nintendo, some BR variation.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It's actually a ps3 you attach to the bottom of your 360 a la nintendo's great engineering

ElRenoRaven

Gee haven't we heard this before? Many times before in fact? I have to say if so I'd buy it. Then I could get rid of my PS3 I think.

PsychoRaven said:
Gee haven't we heard this before? Many times before in fact? I have to say if so I'd buy it. Then I could get rid of my PS3 I think.
a PS3 would be a VASTLY VASTLY VASTLY superior blu ray player than any add on.

Empty

makes sense. it's the only way they can compete with the triples upcoming exclusives like mgs4 and final fantasy xiii, games that will blow away any xbox game thanks to the bigger disc space.

Degen

It's funny how this seems more credible just because it would be so stupid to make this up at this point

Grinchy

Banned
If it only played movies, and that would likely be the case, why would anyone purchase an add-on instead of just buying a standalone blu-ray player? Aren't those really cheap now?

nomis

2e5qeio.jpg

Top Bottom