• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Blu-Ray Coming to Xbox 360

Emitan

shagg_187 said:
Too late. Microsoft rather focus on the new console than forcing blu-ray down 360's throat.

Why release Blu-Ray on 360 when they're putting it on their next system?

Sydle

lol at the idea that blu-ray is why the PS3 is picking up in sales. One can get a stand alone for about $100.

PS3 is picking up because it has great exclusives. MS can't replicate that.

This is like second circle pad all over again, lol.

Seriously though, if MS is pushing the next Xbox to fall 2013, it makes sense as this fall will see a lot of multi-disc 360 games and next year it will get worse. What if Halo 4 will require multiple discs too? They are better off releasing an add-on + launching a new SKU to fill in the next year or two.

But they probably have to announce this at TGS if its happening for real.

Lo-Volt

And did all the world's Xbox 360 owners wait six years to buy a Blu-ray add-on device that, for all we know, could cost as much as a simple standalone player? If this is a serious idea, and if Microsoft is really worried about the PlayStation 3 like this author suggests, drop the price.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
"counter the PS3′s rising momentum – following the highly publicized price cut announced by Sony at Gamescom 2011."

Marjorine

Who doesn't have a Blu Ray player at this point? They are so cheap now that not having one means you probably don't care about them at any price. An external would also have to be like 79.99 for anyone to notice or care.

It might almost make sense if they just tossed one internally and added the bullet point. But external? Waste of time.

GavinGT

Banned
AlmostMilk said:
Microsoft extending the "life" of the 360 to make more money when we need the next gen consoles to come out.

It wouldn't extend the life of the console, as it wouldn't even be used for games. It would just sit on store shelves, as nobody is in a rush to buy expensive console add-ons.

Also, Microsoft has a vested interest in containing Sony, not allowing them to take over everything.

At the right price, I'd buy it. My 360 is connected to my iMac so I've got a pretty decently-sized display to watch 'em on, though I'd be limited to 720p.

Stumpokapow said:
"counter the PS3′s rising momentum – following the highly publicized price cut announced by Sony at Gamescom 2011."

Right. $50 bucks and Blu-ray add-on?

cmonson.jpg

It seems more unlikely that it would happen this late in the generation, and after another failed HD disc drive addon than it is unlikely simply because it's blu ray.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Boombloxer said:
Right. $50 bucks and Blu-ray add-on?

cmonson.jpg

Yeah, the whole setup is so absurd.

First, what rising momentum? Second, no the price cut hasn't been highly publicized. I think people are aware of it, but it's not like there's been a huge campaign to advertise a minor price cut. Third, how would a Blu-Ray addon counter it?

Toppot

Yeah, and I've heard a rumor Sony are going to add PS2 support to all PS3...

Microsoft would be absolutely crazy to make a Blu-ray add on, it would possibly split the userbase with Blu-ray and dvd games, or confuse the customer with DVD and Blu-rays of the same game on the shelf. Likely change the packaging to Blu-ray shape boxes confusing them more with PS3 games, a small amount would buy it as a bluray player but very few as a standalone player would be about the same price. And look how well the HD DVD add on went, I can't think of any addon to a gaming systems media input that has overtaken or even come close in usage to the original media input of the console.

Sennorin

Banned
So MS wants to join the race towards "most stupid upgrade ever"? Not that anything could beat Nintendo at this point.

feel

Paco said:
PS3 is picking up because it has great exclusives. MS can't replicate that.
Nah, pretty sure they both have great exclusives coming out all the time. People's tastes might lead them to prefer one's over the other's though.

Majine

Banned
Image leaked

pHfdO.png

GavinGT

Banned
Toppot said:
Yeah, and I've heard a rumor Sony are going to add PS2 support to all PS3...

Microsoft would be absolutely crazy to make a Blu-ray add on, it would possibly split the userbase with Blu-ray and dvd games, or confuse the customer with DVD and Blu-rays of the same game on the shelf. Likely change the packaging to Blu-ray shape boxes confusing them more with PS3 games, a small amount would buy it as a bluray player but very few as a standalone player would be about the same price. And look how well the HD DVD add on went, I can't think of any addon to a gaming systems media input that has overtaken or even come close in usage to the original media input of the console.

Not to mention it would eat into their existing on-demand HD content sales, and for no good reason at all.

MoogPaul

Me thinks they are getting their rumors cross-wired. This is most likely concerning blu-ray in nextbox. No point in releasing this add-on.

StuBurns

Banned
Para bailar La Bomba said:
If you had another dick, would you bet it against?
My first dick is still in place, although I don't know the morality of betting current bet pots on something else.

No, I don't think this is going to happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

GavinGT

Banned
MoogPaul said:
Me thinks they are getting their rumors cross-wired. This is most likely for nextbox. No point in releasing this add-on.

Even that seems sort of unlikely. I imagine they'll just make their own format and limit it to game use only (it would still play DVDs, though). That way they're protecting their revenue stream with on-demand content while not giving Sony anything.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Unless integrated into an actual future console revision it'd be pointless and I don't see it happening.

Emitan

GavinGT said:
Even that seems sort of unlikely. I imagine they'll just make their own format and limit it to game use only (it would still play DVDs, of course). That way they're protecting their revenue stream with on-demand content while not giving Sony anything.
They want to control the living room. They will have a Blu-Ray drive.

GavinGT

Banned
Billychu said:
They want to control the living room. They will have a Blu-Ray drive.

I don't think they've been in the mindset of "controlling the living room" for years. They're just doing whatever makes them the most money, and in this case I think that means cutting out Sony. Blu-ray hasn't exactly caught on like DVD, anyways. It's probably not worth it, considering that they'd have to pay significant royalties for every console sold and every disc sold.

Top Bottom