• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Blu-Ray Coming to Xbox 360

Emitan

GavinGT said:
I don't think they've been in the mindset of "controlling the living room" for years. They're just doing whatever makes them the most money, and in this case I think that means cutting out Sony. Blu-ray hasn't exactly caught on like DVD, anyways. It's probably not worth it, considering that they'd have to pay significant royalties for every console sold and every disc sold.

?

Too late. MS backed the wrong horse this round.

PS3 is my BR player now and that won't change until next gen and PS4/Xbox 3 both have BR as standard.

GavinGT

Banned
Billychu said:
But the Xbox 360 uses DVDs. Sony is a member of the DVD Forum.

I know, but it's a pittance compared to what Blu-ray commands. At least, it was last time I saw the numbers.

dwu8991

Banned
Grinchy said:
If it only played movies, and that would likely be the case, why would anyone purchase an add-on instead of just buying a standalone blu-ray player? Aren't those really cheap now?

I think xbox 360 could go for few more years and they did bring out the hd-dvd!

Billychu said:
They want to control the living room. They will have a Blu-Ray drive.

If Microsoft were serious about absolute control of the living room. They would probably do it I-Robot style, only with cats that have opposable thumbs and automatic weapons.

At this point in time, 2011. The above makes more sense and is more economically viable than shoehorning blu-ray into the 360.

Toppot

GavinGT said:
Even that seems sort of unlikely. I imagine they'll just make their own format and limit it to game use only (it would still play DVDs, though). That way they're protecting their revenue stream with on-demand content while not giving Sony anything.
Blu-ray still has legs on it with the multiple layers (400gb is current limit with 1TB coming in 2012-2014), everything after the Wii U will use Bluray probably, and maybe even the generation after that unless public want for physical media changes. There's no need for another VHS vs Betamax or Bluray vs HD DVD.

Just look at Sony with the UMD or the MiniDisc, they did not take off because there was not wide adoption. For UMD it was the only choice for PSP till PSN came up with the good (and it's still not up to UMD yet) the movies failed as only PSP's could play them, there were no other stand alone players, and people werent that bothered to watch a move on the go, they had games for on the go. Maybe if they had video output in the original PSP people could of used it like a portable DVD player, but they didn't. The MiniDisc failed because it was in a big market for music on a portable player, you could get music in multiple formats if it was largely just for Sony then why would somewhere stock it? Go for the option that is more widely supported.

It would be dumb for Microsoft to make their own format, yes it would protect them if they closed it off like UMD and probably be more secure, but why not just use Blu-ray, and established format and let your console play the Hidef movies people have been building collections of for years already? Yes you could have a dual player but whats the point? its cheaper to just do Bluray, it has more than enough capacity for probably the next 2 decades.

Emitan

ukresistance said:
If Microsoft were serious about absolute control of the living room. They would probably do it I-Robot style, only with cats that have opposable thumbs and automatic weapons.

At this point in time, 2011. The above makes more sense and is more economically viable than shoehorning blu-ray into the 360.
I'm talking about their next system which will almost certainly have a Blu-Ray drive.

Zizbuka

Banned
Why would anyone buy a blu-ray that relies on an old game console, vs just buying a blu-ray player that hooks directly to the TV? It's not like games will start shipping on blu-ray.

I don't see the advantage other than a big middle finger to Sony.

GavinGT said:
I know, but it's a pittance compared to what Blu-ray commands. At least, it was last time I saw the numbers.

According to Steve Jobs, Blu-ray licenses are a "bag of hurt".

Billychu said:
I'm talking about their next system which will almost certainly have a Blu-Ray drive.

It will have a blue laser. See the WiiU.

Billychu said:

NOW I feel silly.

That makes perfect sense. It would probably be more cost effective than making their own proprietary format.

Toppot

Zizbuka said:
I don't see the advantage other than a big middle finger to Sony.
I think it would be more like Microsoft bending over, Sony giving them a spank, then Microsoft pointing and laughing because Sony touched their bum...

GavinGT

Banned
Toppot said:
Blu-ray still has legs on it with the multiple layers (400gb is current limit with 1TB coming in 2012-2014), everything after the Wii U will use Bluray probably, and maybe even the generation after that unless public want for physical media changes. There's no need for another VHS vs Betamax or Bluray vs HD DVD.

Just look at Sony with the UMD or the MiniDisc, they did not take off because there was not wide adoption. For UMD it was the only choice for PSP till PSN came up with the good (and it's still not up to UMD yet) the movies failed as only PSP's could play them, there were no other stand alone players, and people werent that bothered to watch a move on the go, they had games for on the go. Maybe if they had video output in the original PSP people could of used it like a portable DVD player, but they didn't. The MiniDisc failed because it was in a big market for music on a portable player, you could get music in multiple formats if it was largely just for Sony then why would somewhere stock it? Go for the option that is more widely supported.

It would be dumb for Microsoft to make their own format, yes it would protect them if they closed it off like UMD and probably be more secure, but why not just use Blu-ray, and established format and let your console play the Hidef movies people have been building collections of for years already? Yes you could have a dual player but whats the point? its cheaper to just do Bluray, it has more than enough capacity for probably the next 2 decades.

Microsoft is in a pivotal position, in that they can either help Sony to cement Blu-ray as the new standard, or snub Blu-ray entirely and thereby limit the format's growth. I'm just saying it's not a foregone conclusion that there will be a Blu-ray drive in the next Xbox.

Toppot

GavinGT said:
Microsoft is in a pivotal position, in that they can either help Sony to cement Blu-ray as the new standard, or snub Blu-ray entirely and thereby limit the format's growth. I'm just saying it's not a foregone conclusion that there will be a Blu-ray drive in the next Xbox.
I think Bluray IS the new standard, it's already at the point where nearly every new movie is released on DVD and Blu-ray and more commonly the combo pack so that people can get it as an investment for the future if they just want the DVD now and will get bluray later, or more likely a DVD to lend and play on other systems in a household.

In the next few years - decade we might start seeing Computers (and more likely laptops) properly supporting Bluray as standard for the movies and for PC/Mac games requiring the space on the disc. Yes you can argue that DD will stop this but there are still many people that want physical media and people and other countries don't have fast internet or have bandwidth limits.

It's not a foregone conclusion no, but its the most likely option by a big big way. Only other real alternative would be the dual player idea with a blu-ray and a new system or I think more likely than that (If Microsoft make the next big leap) SSD 'cartridges'.

Toppot said:
I think Bluray IS the new standard, it's already at the point where nearly every new movie is released on DVD and Blu-ray and more commonly the combo pack so that people can get it as an investment for the future if they just want the DVD now and will get bluray later, or more likely a DVD to lend and play on other systems in a household.

In the next few years - decade we might start seeing Computers (and more likely laptops) properly supporting Bluray as standard for the movies and for PC/Mac games requiring the space on the disc. Yes you can argue that DD will stop this but there are still many people that want physical media and people and other countries don't have fast internet or have bandwidth limits.

It's not a foregone conclusion no, but its the most likely option by a big big way. Only other real alternative would be the dual player idea with a blu-ray and a new system or I think more likely than that (If Microsoft make the next big leap) SSD 'cartridges'.

You can have blue laser space without Blu-ray. AGAIN...... look at the WiiU.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
GavinGT said:
It already is the new standard, still not that successful but it is. Movie studios support it; MS can go with a proprietary drive like Nintendo and it wouldn't matter, it would only make their console less appealing next-gen.

Plus the BDA has 19 members, and they already invited MS to be a part of it. Also, this site has been using a clever technique to get hits with sensationalist headlines and calling it a rumor.

-Blu-ray Coming To Xbox 360 - Xbox 360 Mag Italy Aug 2011 Rumor
-Mirror's Edge 2 Is A Go, Will Run On Frostbite 2 Engine - Xbox World Nov 2011 Rumour
-Xbox World Nov 2011 Rumour: Xbox 720 To Launch Late 2013 With Gears of War 4 & Forza 5
-Official Playstation Magazine UK Oct 2011 Rumours - Resident Evil 6, Enslaved 2, EA PS3 Exclusive
-PSM3 Now Rumoring Resident Evil 6 For TGS 2011

It's a bit funny, actually.

Meisadragon said:
It already is the new standard, still not that successful but it is. Movie studios support it; MS can go with a proprietary drive like Nintendo and it wouldn't matter, it would only make their console less appealing next-gen.

Plus the BDA has 19 members, and they already invited MS to be a part of it. Also, this site has been using a clever technique to get hits with sensationalist headlines and calling it a rumor.

Wii was not less appealing because it didn't play DVD movies. Also, and again... Apple is on the BDA and has yet to put a single Blu-ray in any computer.

Toppot

OldJadedGamer said:
You can have blue laser space without Blu-ray. AGAIN...... look at the WiiU.
I hadn't looked at the Wii U technology so thank you for bringing this to my attention. I think it makes little difference though. Wii U isn't trying to be a media hub, like the Wii couldn't play regular DVD's. Where as the next xbox will want to be, and it will more a less have to play Blurays if it wants to be relevant. They can't really use the Nintendo excuse of 'People already have x to play x', many still don't have a bluray player and not having it in the next xbox would be a pretty big box not ticked in my opinion.

If they did have their own disc system then they would need the dual player, costing them more money, and doing what? just spiting Sony by using blu but not using bluray? And then they could defend it by saying it is more secure, but it will be cracked a few months or year down the line.

Makes way more sense just to use blu-ray, they don't even have to admit they chose the 'wrong' disc format this gen, they can just say technology now does require the extra space. But then again this is Microsoft and they like to try and throw their weight and sizable bank balance around to try and dominate like they used to.

It this is real and priced fairly then I would seriously consider it. I don't have one yet and there are now a large number of great films on the format. However, if this add-on costs more than $100 I would probably just skip it and buy an external Sony blu-ray player.

Kyon

Banned
TacticalFox88 said:
Blu-Ray in next Xbox is practically guaranteed. Multple discs is getting to be a nuisance.

seriously it's archaic. last time i switched discs was my PSX lol. maybe hopefully if they don't want Blu then they should use something bigger

zeelman

I don't see the point Blu-rays for most games when a significant portion of it has to be installed to the Harddrive most of the time, anyway. The only game I can think that uses a lot of Blu-Ray disc without installing data is FF13.

Emitan

zeelman said:
I don't see the point Blu-rays for most games when a significant portion of it has to be installed to the Harddrive most of the time, anyway. The only game I can think that uses a lot of Blu-Ray disc without installing data is FF13.
That has nothing to do with the format itself. The PS3 has a slow disk drive. That won't be the case next gen.

Dragon

Banned
zeelman said:

I think it's useful for games like Uncharted where they store in-game pre-recorded video on the Disc without having to compress it really. But yeah you're right there aren't a ton of games that take advantage of it.

Robot Pants

Pointless to add it to the 360 this late. Their next console, absolutely.
In fact, I think they will try and make their own media storage next time around

zeelman

Billychu said:
That has nothing to do with the format itself. The PS3 has a slow disk drive. That won't be the case next gen.

The 360 has a fast DVD drive and even that system has better load times if you put the game data on the harddrive. Disc drives can't compete with hard drives. Even PC games do this.

Top Bottom