• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Blu-Ray Coming to Xbox 360

jgminto

I've been hearing this rumour for years but who actually believes it. MS ain't going to release a brand new drive format for a console over halfway through its lifespan and I doubt they would have for a console in the first year either. They'd still be held back by the people who didn't pick up the new console version.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I think this "rumor" is more for next gen on the MS platform. Though absolutely should have BR as the format.

Angry Fork

reggie said:
Can't believe this rumour still pops up. It's never happening, ever. It makes no sense.
3ds_attachment.jpg

I think 3ds attachment makes a lot of sense btw, I was just referencing the fact that everyone said it didn't and then it was announced =P

KageMaru said:
Also, unless I'm mistaken, the Blu-ray Disc Association has to pay MS to license the VC-1 codec used in the format. So if this is true, Sony has already been [partially] paying MS for some time now.

That would be true if VC-1 wasn't just a blatant rip off of AVC. MS were awarded less than 2% of IP by the MPEG-LA for VC-1 when they opened it up to get it into the Blu-ray/HD DVD standard. Sony actually have a larger stake in VC-1 than MS because of the amount they contributed to AVC and MPEG2 back in the day.

OldJadedGamer said:
The persons company who made the "bag of hurt" comment is on the Blu-ray board of directors.

So? Doesn't mean he has no agenda. Blu-ray is a direct competitor to iTunes and Apple TV, it's been known from the off that Apple aren't interested in optical discs, ever since the original MacBook Air which removed the optical drive we've known it.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
zomgbbqftw said:
So? Doesn't mean he has no agenda. Blu-ray is a direct competitor to iTunes and Apple TV, it's been known from the off that Apple aren't interested in optical discs, ever since the original MacBook Air which removed the optical drive we've known it.
And it was a stupid move, mind you. Apple is getting too big for their own good.

KageMaru

zomgbbqftw said:
That would be true if VC-1 wasn't just a blatant rip off of AVC. MS were awarded less than 2% of IP by the MPEG-LA for VC-1 when they opened it up to get it into the Blu-ray/HD DVD standard. Sony actually have a larger stake in VC-1 than MS because of the amount they contributed to AVC and MPEG2 back in the day.

Never knew that, always read about how VC-1 was strictly a MS codec.

Cool, thanks.

Top Bottom