• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 2: Innocent Sin |OT| "As if your dreams would ever be fulfilled...

cj_iwakura

...When you can't even protect one woman."

itHgure.png

Welcome back to the twisted world of Persona.

St. Hermelin and the SEBEC Scandal have been left in the past.

This is a world where rumors become reality.

Welcome to Sumaru City.

History

Persona 2: Innocent Sin is the first half of the Persona 2 saga.
Its sequel, Eternal Punishment, was localized in the waning days of the PS1, and remains one of the console's finest RPGs. For whatever reason, the original never came out in the US. It was fan translated a couple years back, but now it's officially time for Innocent Sin to shine.

Background

There exists an urban myth in Sumaru. If you call upon a mythical figure called 'The Joker' with a dream in your heart, he'll make your wildest fantasies into reality.

However, if you can't hold true to your dreams... a darker fate awaits.

A group of Persona users from Kasugayama HS, Seven Sisters HS, and the surrounding city take it upon themselves to put a stop to The Joker, before the power of rumors tears Sumaru asunder.

Similar to the original Persona's PSP remake, the Innocent Sin remake has been updated with widescreen graphics, a mini map and character stats displayed on the main screen when moving around, and updated soundtrack.

The good news? This time you can switch to the original soundtrack as well.

Comparison:

Holy Lance Knights - PS1
Knights of the Holy Spear - PSP

Characters

Tatsuya Suou
persona2-tatsuya1.png

The protagonist. An 18 year old fond of motorcycles. Tends to keep to himself, and remains blissfully ignorant of being one of the most popular men at Seven Sisters High. Has an obsession with opening and closing a silver lighter.

Lisa "Ginko" Silverman
persona2-lisa.png

A Chinese-American who speaks fluent Japanese despite her traditional American looks. Her beauty and easygoing nature has made her one of the most popular girls in school, but she only has eyes for Tatsuya.

Eikichi "Michel" Mishina

persona2-eikichi.png

An infamous narcissist, Eikichi is the leader of a local gang of punks from the all-male Kasugayama High. He runs a band in his spare time, and has a penchant for pantsing the leaders of gangs he bests in combat. Baby!

Maya Amano

persona2-maya1.png

The editor of a popular teen magazine known as Coolest, Maya's always at the height of fashion and style. An eternal optimist, she believes in always thinking positively.

Yukino Mayuzumi

persona2-yuki.png

Still as dependable and cool-headed as ever, Yuki is now a photographer who works with Maya, and tries(with mixed results) to keep her bubble-headed boss' mood swings in check.

Jun Kurosu

persona2-jun.png

A quiet, effeminate young man who knows Tatsuya from his childhood. Has a penchant for flowers, and tends to keep to himself.

The Joker

persona2-joker1.png

To call the Joker, simply dial your own phone number, and he'll appear to do your bidding. Or so the urban legend goes. He has the power to steal dreams, leaving one an ambitionless shell of a human. What is he truly after?

Covers

persona2-is.jpg

209px-NA-P2InnocentSinBoxart.png

Media

p2is1.jpg

p2is2.jpg

p2is3.jpg

p2is4.jpg

p2is5.jpg

p2is6.jpg

PS1 Original Opening
PSP Opening
The Eternal Punishment Anime IS Preview
(MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS)

Reviews

RPGGamer - 3.5/5
Digital Chumps - 6.4/10
Gamespot - 5/10
RPGFan - 96%

Ah, screw them. Here's reviews by people who matter!

Akselziys said:
One of my favorite RPGs ever! :3
TheSeks said:
It's fucking awesome and the best Persona in the series. Eternal Punishment also cements 2 as the best in the series.
RomanticHeroX said:
Reviews make me want to punch someone. This is still one of the best RPGs of its era.
Aeana said:
9/10, one of my favorite RPGs of everness.
Augemitbutter said:
best persona game
this and EP.
Gemini said:
Here is the game programmed by Satan himself. This is one of those games you would NEVER like to be involved with. It has a massive amount of GPU tricks and strange optimizations, so believe me when I say this game is EVIL.
Tom said:
Persona 2: Innocent Sin is the best RPG on the Playstation, and one of my favorite RPGs of all time.

Release Date: 9/20/2011 on UMD and PSN, $39.99, and worth every cent.
(Includes a ten-track mini OST too.)

p2p_faithful_cdunveil_11a.jpg

Lesiroth

Great OT! I'm pretty excited for it, the game has a very interesting aura about it for me, here's hoping it won't feel too outdated.

Volcynika

PERRRRRRRSONA

Preordered and ready to go.

I highly suggest to change image hosts. Imageshack bringing the frog would be bad!

Lesiroth

Aeana said:
Those review scores are so sad. :(
Aeana - 9/10, one of my favorite RPGs of everness.
I don't know what this 'everness' business is, but Aeana's RPG tastes are impeccable, so I'd take that score over the ones in the OT.

epmode

So is it a fucky port or just people not liking the original game? I liked Eternal Punishment well enough and I've always wanted to try this one.

epmode said:
So is it a fucky port or just people not liking the original game? I liked Eternal Punishment well enough and I've always wanted to try this one.
The game is very old school despite the upgraded visuals/sounds etc, it has high encounter rates and various 90s tropes

No idea if it's a bad port, but the original game is fantastic.

cj_iwakura

epmode said:

The latter. People aren't reviewing it as the port, they're reviewing the original game and calling it outdated.

The reviews aren't fair to the game at all, but I included them anyway.

And I'll be honest: from what I've heard, the port has issues, among them being load times and buggy widescreen conversion.

Take my word for it, the original game is AMAZING. It is one of the best stories you will ever experience, no joke.

Also, I added an OST comparison to the OP. It's good stuff, either way, but the original is mostly the way to go.

The new boss theme is an exception. That is an AMAZING remix.

Aeana

epmode said:
I have heard that the port does have some issues, especially load times? I haven't played this port, but the reviews themselves mention very little about port issues, and seem to have taken issue with the game mechanics themselves. The Digital Chumps reviewer called the battles slow, without realizing that you can speed the animations up in this version with the start button.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I want to go on record saying Yukino is the best party member and this is the best Persona in all the citadel.

(REAL SPOILER!)
So it gutted me when she exit stage righted and we were forced to have Jun for about 10 hours at the end. >:|

GAF impressions

It's fucking awesome and the best Persona in the series. Eternal Punishment also cements 2 as the best in the series.

epmode

Strange that they'd have trouble with load times in something like this. As for the original version being better, I'd go for the PS1 version in a second if it had an official release. I will now check Google for the latest fan translation news!

cj_iwakura

The fan translation is good, dang good, but it wasn't perfect. Michelle is a silly nickname for Eikichi.

I'll happily play it a second time with the Atlus USA treatment.

Also can't wait for the Climax Theater quests. SMT If cameos, ho!

(I should add some of that into the OP...)

Also also, I kindly request that anyone who knows about the major revelations in this game: best not to post them at all.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Anyone have a Yukino avatar? I need a change of pace from Aya.

Teknoman

I enjoyed EP PS1 much more than the Persona 1 PSP port, so I know i'll really enjoy this. Especially with the new character cut-ins during fusion attacks, the redone soundtrack (sounds really nice and its faithful to the original from what i've heard), and just better dungeons/fusion system in general.

Witchfinder General said:
Whooooo! Can't wait. I hope the soundtrack holds up to Meguro's typical high standards.

Boss theme

I'll be playing with the original soundtrack, since it's already pretty great. Shame there's no option for that on the P1 remake. The new soundtrack in that is pretty detrimental.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
OP is missing release date and whether its getting a PSN release. I'd like to know!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh the GameSpot podcast, they called it a throwback that's not worth playing now. It pretty much killed any enthusiasm I had for the game, considering I didn't finish Persona 1. I wanted to get it just to have a "set" of Persona games, but I'm not sure anymore.

Amagon

I remember years and years ago when Eternal Punishment came to the states that I learned it was a sequel to Innocent Sin. I email Atlus at the time when Innocent Sin was coming to the states and they said soon. 12 years later and here it is!!!! My only beef with Eternal Punishment (back in the day) is that I got lost and didn't know what to do. I wish they made a strategy guide for Innocent Sin. Day 1 either way for this game.

cj_iwakura

firehawk12 said:
Oh the GameSpot podcast, they called it a throwback that's not worth playing now. It pretty much killed any enthusiasm I had for the game, considering I didn't finish Persona 1. I wanted to get it just to have a "set" of Persona games, but I'm not sure anymore.

They're, objectively speaking, out their damn minds. This is one of the best games in the series. (My favorite Persona game is the sequel to this, Eternal Punishment.)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
cj_iwakura said:
They're, objectively speaking, out their damn minds. This is one of the best games in the series.
To be honest, I don't know much about the game myself - and they reviewed it on the podcast at least 2 weeks ago, so I can't remember the specific criticisms... mostly that it just doesn't hold up to today's RPG standards.

Speaking for myself, I probably went into Persona 1 with the wrong mindset considering I was coming off the high of Persona 3 and 4, and I'm just imagining that Persona 2 is closer to Persona 1 than it is to the dating sims games that Persona 3 and 4 are.

cj_iwakura

firehawk12 said:
To be honest, I don't know much about the game myself - and they reviewed it on the podcast at least 2 weeks ago, so I can't remember the specific criticisms... mostly that it just doesn't hold up to today's RPG standards.

Speaking for myself, I probably went into Persona 1 with the wrong mindset considering I was coming off the high of Persona 3 and 4, and I'm just imagining that Persona 2 is closer to Persona 1 than it is to the dating sims games that Persona 3 and 4 are.

It is. This is very much a traditional SMT game, not the new school fad that P3 kicked in.
Whether that's a plus or minus is up to you, but the story is like nothing else.

It's a LOT more playable than P1, at least. No formations or huge first person dungeons. It's isometric.

Besides, why have social links when you can talk with demons? :p

They're completely wrong. I played the PSOne version last year and it's every bit as playable as it was when it was new. P2 isn't actually that much like either P1 or P3/4.

tokkun

So what's the GamerFACT(tm) rating on the truthfulness of Gamespot's statements that random battles are frequent and combat gets repetitive?

Those statements are convincing me not to buy this game.

From the OP: "(Includes a ten-disc mini OST too.)" ...Should be "ten-track."

The interlacing or whatever on PSP-3000 screens bugs me, I'll be getting PSN version so it's good to go on Vita as well.

cj_iwakura

tokkun said:
So what's the GamerFACT(tm) rating on the truthfulness of Gamespot's statements that random battles are frequent and combat gets repetitive?

Those statements are convincing me not to buy this game.

Frequent? True.

Repetitive? Arguable. You can end combat lightning quick with either

A. Bad-ass fusion spells(or Megidola)
or B. Contacts.

You can also skip the animations. But yes, the random battle frequency is EXTREMELY high, real talk.

Top Bottom