• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 2: Innocent Sin |OT| "As if your dreams would ever be fulfilled...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
cj_iwakura said:
You can also skip the animations. But yes, the random battle frequency is EXTREMELY high, real talk.

The final dungeon is like climbing Everest. But the pay off is OH SO WORTH IT.

sarcoa

Aeana said:
The Digital Chumps reviewer called the battles slow, without realizing that you can speed the animations up in this version with the start button.
Not one of my finer moments, but I did add an edit regarding that to the end of the review a week or so ago.

It's been two years but battle animations could be completely removed, rather than fast forwarded, in Persona PSP, correct? It just seemed odd that a similar option wasn't forced into IS.

cj_iwakura

On the bright side, this game is extremely easy. The only remotely tough fight is the final boss(and he is a grade-a biiiitch).

sarcoa said:
Not one of my finer moments, but I did add an edit regarding that to the end of the review a week or so ago.

It's been two years but battle animations could be completely removed, rather than fast forwarded, in Persona PSP, correct? It just seemed odd that a similar option wasn't forced into IS.

They weren't removed, but fast forwarded.

TheSeks

sarcoa said:

I dunno about Physical. But the Persona's summons and the images of them were cut out in "rush" mode, yes.

Ainaurdur

I have never played any of the SMT games. Shame on me! (Or so I suppose.) I have been considering picking one up to try soon.

Is P2:IS the one to try, or would anyone suggest another that I should start with?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ainaurdur said:
I have never played any of the SMT games. Shame on me! (Or so I suppose.) I have been considering picking one up to try soon.

Is P2:IS the one to try, or would anyone suggest another that I should start with?
I can't say much about P2, but I did two playthroughs of Devil Survivor Overclocked recently and it's a great game in terms of just getting hang of fusions and whatnot. Of course, it's also an SRPG so that might not be what you're looking for.

TheSeks

Ainaurdur said:

P2 is old school and like the rest of the SMT series. It certainly isn't "babies first JRPG" nor "baby's first SMT."

If you're willing to tough it out, go for it. But know there is many random battles plus you need to negotiate with demons for cards for fusing. Which you'll probably doing a bunch of.

Persona 3/4 are more first-time with the series entries, but VERY different from the other SMT games.

Also Sarcoa:

Your article said:
Final Fantasy XIII International Zodiac Job System

FF:XII. AKA: 12, not XIII AKA: 13. >_> Yes, I'm anal and still sore about IZJS not being released in the US.

Have you played IS? EP is definitely old-school Megaten hard, but IS is actually a super easy game (comparatively). I actually thought I was playing it wrong for most of it because it just seemed too easy.

High encounter rate? I played through Nocturne and honestly speaking nothing can't be higher than that.

Anyway I have a question, EP was ok until I hit that road where you had to get uber persona to stand a chance against certain bosses. At least that's what I remember. Even with battle animation off will it still be relatively long to rank up Personae? I remember it was pretty bad in EP. Not if anyone can field this one for me but is the final boss in IS just a infuriating as EP?

TheSeks

RomanticHeroX said:
Have you played IS? EP is definitely old-school Megaten hard, but IS is actually a super easy game (comparatively). I actually thought I was playing it wrong for most of it because it just seemed too easy.

It depends on what you do. But I do think the random encounter rate will definitely push away some players.

As far as toughness it depends on what you fuse. I need to get around to replaying EP but IS wasn't too hard nor too easy. But compared to P3/4 it is harder in the change of pace sense.

cj_iwakura

Urban Scholar said:
High encounter rate? I played through Nocturne and honestly speaking nothing can't be higher than that.

It's pretty dang high. In EP when certain (optional) quests require you to map out entire dungeons block by block(which I did), it will drive you insane.

sarcoa

TheSeks said:
Also Sarcoa:

FF:XII. AKA: 12, not XIII AKA: 13. >_> Yes, I'm anal and still sore about IZJS not being released in the US.
ugh you'd think I'd be more careful with that given I spent a stupid amount of time figuring out how to properly patch english into it.

TheSeks

C-Jo said:
I wish it (every retail PSP game) came with a PSN download code.

If they're being released simultaneously, there really is no excuse. It's really the biggest fuck up when the Go launched. There was no ability to go "well you can buy the UMD for collection purposes while playing it on your Go!"

C-Jo

TheSeks said:
If they're being released simultaneously, there really is no excuse. It's really the biggest fuck up when the Go launched. There was no ability to go "well you can buy the UMD for collection purposes while playing it on your Go!"
I'm never going to choose digital over physical, especially not when it has such nice packaging, like Persona. It just sucks that I can't also have the flexibility and convenience of digital.

Oh well, I'm extremely excited that I get to play Innocent Sin after all these years.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Ainaurdur said:

Persona 1 is a pile of garbage, and this is from someone who played the hell out of in the late 90's. It's just not good.

Persona 2.. not really a fan of really. Hasn't aged well at all, IMHO.

Persona 3 is a great game, but you better enjoy the high school/dating sim that makes up the core. The actual combat/dungeons get tedious, and if you don't like the other part.. you'll probably hate the whole game.

Sold my PS2 before P4 came out, and am awaiting the Vita release.

Vally

Won't be getting this since I don't have a psp, but I'm playing the original on an emulator and I love the characters, story and atmosphere of the game. Definitely the best Persona in that regard (I have yet to play Eternal Punishment though).

I'm really curious to see how the Climax theater works, it seems to be a pretty interesting feature.

Also that anime trailer is awesome, while I'm pretty hyped for the P4 anime I would much prefer one based on Persona 2.

Gaspode_T

This really got 5/10 from Gamespot? Why do these review sites even exist anymore if they can only spout nonsense

I just started playing this (never have before) and I am truly blown away. The music, character art, everything is awesome

cj_iwakura

Vally said:
Won't be getting this since I don't have a psp, but I'm playing the original on an emulator and I love the characters, story and atmosphere of the game. Definitely the best Persona in that regard (I have yet to play Eternal Punishment though).

I'm really curious to see how the Climax theater works, it seems to be a pretty interesting feature.

Also that anime trailer is awesome, while I'm pretty hyped for the P4 anime I would much prefer one based on Persona 2.

The trailer is great. Not really sure when or what it was made for, I think it was just designed to build hype for the game. (The demons in the clip match Kaneko's designs, too.)

Ainaurdur said:

Not sure (but I'm sure Atlus would thank you).

It's really, really hard to point out a potential "bad" SMT game to start out on. I started out on Nocturne, myself. *crazy glint in eye*

cj_iwakura

I'd recommend Persona 3 as a starter, but they're all great. P2:IS is a dang easy game, and it's not as big a time investment.

Ainaurdur

cj_iwakura said:
I'd recommend Persona 3 as a starter, but they're all great. P2:IS is a dang easy game, and it's not as big a time investment.
Yeah, I have been thinking Persona 3: FES would be my choice. Then I noticed this was just about to come out, so I asked the question.

And I am certainly not afraid of old school JRPG elements.

cj_iwakura

Ainaurdur said:
Yeah, I have been thinking Persona 3: FES would be my choice. Then I noticed this was just about to come out, so I asked the question.

And I am certainly not afraid of old school JRPG elements.

Well, you have a chance that few did: play P2 before P3!

TheSeks

cj_iwakura said:
Looks like there's level 70 beasties waiting in the Climax Theater quests.

I guess I'll be saving that for endgame.

Holy shit. I'm sure someone will be insane enough to build a party at level 9 to take on the If mission.

What sucks is that If has never been translated, so it'll be a bit confusing for people that follow the whole series. :/

cj_iwakura

TheSeks said:
Holy shit. I'm sure someone will be insane enough to build a party at level 9 to take on the If mission.

What sucks is that If has never been translated, so it'll be a bit confusing for people that follow the whole series. :/

http://lparchive.org/SMTIf/

Bam. It's not a very complicated game. Demons invade Karuzahaka, Tamaki and her friends go kill them.

Hey Aram, if you don't want those ugly reviews in a press release, you can always quote us.

tokkun

cj_iwakura said:
Frequent? True.

Repetitive? Arguable. You can end combat lightning quick with either

A. Bad-ass fusion spells(or Megidola)
or B. Contacts.

You can also skip the animations. But yes, the random battle frequency is EXTREMELY high, real talk.

Thanks. I think I will pass on this game then. I remember getting pretty frustrated with the repetitive battles in DDS, and that had a skip animation feature too.

I love the Atlus aesthetic, but outside of P3 & P4 I think the games often target a more hardcore brand of JRPG fan than I really relate to any more. Instead of having a typical Easy mode, I wish they would have a mode that kept the difficulty challenging but reduced the encounter rate.

Teknoman

NervousXtian said:
Persona 1 is a pile of garbage, and this is from someone who played the hell out of in the late 90's. It's just not good.

Persona 2.. not really a fan of really. Hasn't aged well at all, IMHO.

Persona 3 is a great game, but you better enjoy the high school/dating sim that makes up the core. The actual combat/dungeons get tedious, and if you don't like the other part.. you'll probably hate the whole game.

Sold my PS2 before P4 came out, and am awaiting the Vita release.

Do you have a really good PC? You can buy Persona 4 and then play it using PCSX2 if you dont feel like waiting for Vita.

EDIT: I guess it would be best to visit the theater every so often between main story events.

How dated does this feel? I got into SMT with Strange Journey (which I loved but didn't quite beat), then I went to P3P (which I also loved and beat twice), then P4 (was really into it but had to leave the TV at home when I moved back to my college town) and I'm currently playing the 3DS Devil Survivor, which is really damn good. The series has quickly become one of my favorite series of games, so I'm really curious about this, but I'm worried that it'll feel dated and it'll be a struggle to play. Does this still have S-links? Fusion? The dungeons?

Cheska

cj_iwakura said:

Really? I thought P2 was supposed to be up there in terms of difficulty and investment. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining if its not as much of a time sinker as P3 and P4. I'm already juggling more games than I can handle and I would love to just be able to enjoy this game without playing for 70 hours.

dr3upmushroom said:
How dated does this feel? I got into SMT with Strange Journey (which I loved but didn't quite beat), then I went to P3P (which I also loved and beat twice), then P4 (was really into it but had to leave the TV at home when I moved back to my college town) and I'm currently playing the 3DS Devil Survivor, which is really damn good. The series has quickly become one of my favorite series of games, so I'm really curious about this, but I'm worried that it'll feel dated and it'll be a struggle to play. Does this still have S-links? Fusion? The dungeons?

It doesn't have SLinks or Fusion (you basically just buy your Personas from a catalog). It does have dungeons though. Lots of them.

Cheska said:
Really? I thought P2 was supposed to be up there in terms of difficulty and investment. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining if its not as much of a time sinker as P3 and P4. I'm already juggling more games than I can handle and I would love to just be able to enjoy this game without playing for 70 hours.

Yeah, IS is pretty easy. As mentioned up thread, the last boss is big jerkface who will destroy you if you aren't adequately prepared. And even then things can take a turn for the worse.

graywolf323

I really really want the soundtrack cd but I also would rather get the game digitally through PSN...

decisions decisions

edit: wish Atlus would put their soundtracks up for sale on iTunes like Square-Enix does

Natiko

Banned
Looking forward to giving this a shot. Going to be hard to find the time though between school and other games I'm already playing.

I really want to pre-order get it day 1 and support Atlus but...I'mma wait until I finish P1 via my digital dl I did for the brief time I had a Go. Next year, on my Vita!

TheSeks said:

"This school went to hell for a little while, then came back. The whole affair was much less interesting than it sounds."

That Gamespot review is baaaaaaaaaaaaad.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I'm probably going skip this and wait for P2 EP remake (already beat the fan-translation of this years ago).

On the bright side, this game is extremely easy. The only remotely tough fight is the final boss(and he is a grade-a biiiitch).
Yeah if you want to play the game simply for storyline, you shouldn't be to frustrated with the battle system, I didn't even find the final boss that hard either, i just spammed my best fusion skills and i won pretty easily.

cj_iwakura

Cheska said:

No, P2:IS is a 40 hour game, tops. 20 if you don't spend time talking to NPCs and such or doing optional quests(which you should!).

Top Bottom