• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transfer your umd purchases to your Vita (with a fee).

gogogow

Michan said:
It is the platform holder's responsibility/decision to support their legacy hardware and software.

This is a pretty lousy effort on Sony's part to be "backwards compatible." The company may as well just pass the savings on, rather than dedicate resources to this time-wasting "transfer." Something is clearly broken when you can easily pick up 90+% of the PSP for less than this fee.
Exactly what Sony did. They decided not to have a UMD drive in the PSVita, which would only make the PSVita only more expensive. Just how Sony passed on the savings when they removed the PS2 chip from the PS3. The only realistic way to have BC on the Vita is via Digital Downloads and that's exactly what the Vita does.

Some people will be happy with this system, others will not, in the end Sony can't please everyone.

Michan said:
The SDF is in full force in this thread.

People have already paid Sony for the games.

1.8 GB bandwidth does not cost Sony $10 - 15. Maybe 10 - 15¢ at a stretch.
You can call people SDF all you want, but what you are saying doesn't make sense. Yes people have paid for the UMD games. Are Sony now taking away your games? They won't work anymore on a PSP after the Vita is released?

You don't think publishers want to see some of that money you are paying to get that digital copy?

Also, I have 100+ PS3, Wii, 360 games. Sony, MS, Nintendo where's my digital copy?

Mihos

Gold Member
This is great news for me. I have a ton of UMDs and a good number of them I would like to transfer. I really hope this carries over state side. The fee seems reasonable to me, especially considering they could have just done nothing.

mAcOdIn said:
Or it's not an actual protection method on Sony's part just merely telling you that passing around the disc to friends to get the discounted download for them as well is against their terms of service and they don't want you doing it, don't do it. Just because Sony's says something doesn't mean they actually have to be able to enforce it.

I guess but it would still be nice to have it confirmed one way or the other to make sure. It would suck to buy a used copy of a psp game and then it's already been registered and you can't get the DD version also. It's nice for some but it's rough spending $10 a piece on games to do it. Especially with being able to do it for free with PSP.

Cornbread78

Mik2121 said:
So I could actually go and rent all the games off that list that I'm interested in, pay the fee and get them forever without having to pay the full price?

Sony used to love game sharing.....

Shadow780

plainr_ said:
Most reasonable solution for UMD owners imo. You are not entitled for a free digital copy.

I agree with this. But going forward there should be program (discounted or free) for Vita physical and digital copies.

Michan

gogogow said:
Exactly what Sony did. They decided not to have a UMD drive in the PSVita, which would only make the PSVita only more expensive. Just how Sony passed on the savings when they removed the PS2 chip from the PS3. The only realistic way to have BC on the Vita is via Digital Downloads and that's exactly what the Vita does.

Some people will be happy with this system, others will not, in the end Sony can't please everyone.
In terms of "passing the savings on," I'm talking about the cost of building the infrastructure for this. Rather than having blown (and continuing to blow) money on this transfer system, they may as well have just passed the saving on by reducing the cost of PSP download titles for everybody – which will also result in more sales.

This really isn't a worthwhile solution to the problem they're trying to address with it.

Oneself

Once the Vita's out, nobody will pay for PSP games anyways ...
so instead of ripping off owners of physical PSP games with that «transfer» thingy, they should offer no way to transfer UMDs and sell the entire PSP library at a fixed price. Kinda like what they are doing with PSone & PS2 downloads but much easier since PSP games are already on PSN.

Valnen

I will. I can think of games I haven't played yet and probably won't play by then. And I'm certainly not a unique snowflake.

Michan said:
1.8 GB bandwidth does not cost Sony $10 - 15. Maybe 10 - 15¢ at a stretch.

And when you have millions of copies of games being downloaded, guess what? It costs a ton! Also Sony is not the one who has full control over distribution of games, license holders have a say. You bought a UMD copy of the game, it does not come with it an entitlement for free copies of a game for life.

I couldn't call up Nintendo and get them to give me free game downloads because I have the cart for my old NES/SNES games off the Wii channels.

Acosta

Kudos to Sony, that's a good and fair system. Hope it´s worldwide.

I may put a few game on it for convenience.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Blech. It's an assy solution but I suppose it's probably the best they could do. I really hate to defend Sony (it causes severe itchiness in a sensitive area) but they're probably at the behest of various publishers and licensing agreements. Of course, that doesn't explain the fee for Sony published properties, they could be setting a precedent with their own software to entice people to the hardware. So fuck 'em anyway.

Slavik81 said:
Of course. I don't have a PSP or any UMDs, but if it were free, the first thing I'd do is borrow a PSP from a friend and all his UMDs. I'd sign into my account and get myself all his games for free, then give them both back so he could do the same.

We'd then go trade, buy, or borrow any other UMD we could. We'd only need them for a few minutes, run them through this program, then sell or give them back again.

I'd have every title worth owning from the PSP back catalog for nothing... if this program were free.

This.

A free UMD transfer system is not a realistic option.

Some gamers just have a misplaced and disconnected sense of entitlement. You bought an UMD to play on your PSP, you aren't entitled to anything else besides that.

Michan

gogogow said:
You can call people SDF all you want, but what you are saying doesn't make sense. Yes people have paid for the UMD games. Are Sony now taking away your games? They won't work anymore on a PSP after the Vita is released?

You don't think publishers want to see some of that money you are paying to get that digital copy?

Also, I have 100+ PS3, Wii, 360 games. Sony, MS, Nintendo where's my digital copy?
Your 100+ PS3, Wii, and 360 games play without flaw on the latest hardware available, and will all likely play on your next systems in a similar state.

Your claims are laughable. You already own a digital copy: the disc itself. If you're fine re-paying for the right to play the exact same software on your new device, then great. But let's hope there aren't too many more clones of you in the world.

I personally would not like to have to re-buy my music library to take it with me on my new iPhone, or my film library to play it on my new TV/BD Player, or my expensive software to run on my new rig– so it's fortunate that backwards compatibility has been aggressively supported in that area.

This is not a progressive move, and I'm appalled that anybody here is supporting it.

kuroshiki

People who think this is idiotic:

Just because you bought Forza 4 from walmart doesn't give you free digital copy you can share with up to 2 friends. Why you think Sony should give you free digital copy?

Sony doesn't even have to do this, but they are doing this and I think it is a fair solution.

styl3s

Eh no thanks ill just hang on to my PSP, i am not going to pay more money on top of the MSRP i already paid for my games to play them on another psp just because it has an extra analog stick.

faridmon

What if you have 25+ games like me? paying 5 quid or 10 quid a game is bloody expensive. I just hope its pay once and transfer all your games over. That would be amazing.

kuroshiki

Michan said:
Your 100+ PS3, Wii, and 360 games play without flaw on the latest hardware available, and will all likely play on your next systems in a similar state.

Your claims are laughable. You already own a digital copy: the disc itself. If you're fine re-paying for the right to play the exact same software on your new device, then great. But let's hope there aren't too many more clones of you in the world.

I personally would not like to have to re-buy my music library to take it with me on my new iPhone, or my film library to play it on my new TV/BD Player, or my expensive software to run on my new rig– so it's fortunate that backwards compatibility has been aggressively supported in that area.

This is not a progressive move, and I'm appalled that anybody here is supporting it.

You are delusional.

Those systems that HAS 100% backward compatibility, they already are packed with physical drive that are capable of reading previous generation games.

Can Gamecube play N64 games? Is Nintendo giving you free copy of Super Mario 64 for your spanking new Wii that doesn't have cartridge slot?

No. They are also not even offering discount for it just because you already have it in cartridge form. Sony is doing it.

There are physical copies and digital copies. Each have different value set. (If you want to argue with it, then argue with all other movie industries, too. I own 2 copies of Beauty and the beast. VHS and DVD. If I want to have LEGAL, 1080p digital copy then I have to buy separately from either amazon or itune, or whatever. What gives?)

demigod

Michan said:
By the way, you need not remind us of how the N64->GameCube transition faired. Actually, thinking about it, every non-debut system without backwards compatibility at launch has either failed or lost the manufacturer considerable marketshare. See PSP Go, N64, GameCube, Game Boy micro, pretty much all SEGA hardware... The only time I can think of that a system hasn't failed is during the Super generation, and that was pretty much a neck-and-neck two horse race.

Dreamcast failed because it was using GD-ROM. I didn't know the 360 failed.

Michan said:
Your claims are laughable. You already own a digital copy: the disc itself. If you're fine re-paying for the right to play the exact same software on your new device, then great. But let's hope there aren't too many more clones of you in the world.

Disc =/= Digital. You can't download PS3 games on PSN when you have the disc, neither can the 360.

Rolf NB

confused said:
Wow, so up to 15 bucks to download a game you already own ? Which'll probably drop even lower just to purchase just after the Vita drops. Great plan Sony

It'd cost me more to pay the download fee than to buy the UMD.
In that case, don't buy the UMD?
demigod said:
Disc =/= Digital.
It appears you don't even know the meaning of the word, so please stop using it.

number 1 cardinal rule of gaming. Never sell your old games/consoles.

GBA could run gbc and gb games, but the visuals are messed up, which is why I still have my gbc around.

same with 3ds and ds stuff.

Don't throw away history kids, for a few bucks!

Michan

BattleMonkey said:
And when you have millions of copies of games being downloaded, guess what? It costs a ton!
Really? I would have never guessed by stating it probably costs them 10 - 15¢ max per download. I thought only one person was going to use this service! Thank you for the clarification there, Captain Obvious!

BattleMonkey said:
Also Sony is not the one who has full control over distribution of games, license holders have a say. You bought a UMD copy of the game, it does not come with it an entitlement for free copies of a game for life.
You're right, it doesn't! And we're moving further and further away from any sort of entitlement. Your hardware is decided redundant by the platform holder? Then so is your software!

Backwards compatibility is an escape from that, and something many people would like to continue to exist. Go look back at topics from when Sony dropped PS2 support, or when Microsoft was skeptical about including backwards compatibility. Hell, even recent posts about the new Wii model dropping GameCube support!

BattleMonkey said:
I couldn't call up Nintendo and get them to give me free game downloads because I have the cart for my old NES/SNES games off the Wii channels.
No, you can't. But you can play your entire GameCube library on Wii. And that's the point: that you should be confident in knowing that your software is going to stay relevant for a while.

Quixzlizx

Man, this UMD drive is terrible, what were you thinking?
What, the Vita isn't backwards-compatible with UMDs? This is bullshit!

And if this transfer didn't have a fee, CAG would crash from the traffic of all of the people arranging to trade games and get entire collections for free. I probably wouldn't pay any more than $5/10, and only for my favorite games. I have them all ripped to a PSP Go anyway.

kuroshiki

Michan said:
No, you can't. But you can play your entire GameCube library on Wii. And that's the point: that you should be confident in knowing that your software is going to stay relevant for a while.

Total BS.

Vita is staying away from UMD because it is failed, flawed format. It can only hold 1.2G, slow, drains battery, etc. So you are saying VITA should carry UMD drive just because for the sake of backward compatibility?

Skilletor

Michan said:

There's no way you thought the PS Vita would be able to play UMD games without a UMD drive. I can't play most of my Xbox games on my 360, either.

The software is still relevant. You can play it on the system for which you bought it. Sony isn't taking anything away from you and you aren't entitled to a digital copy just because you have a UMD.

Michan

demigod said:
Dreamcast failed because it was using GD-ROM. I didn't know the 360 failed.
360 never failed. If you have one, you'll know it actually has very good BC support.

demigod said:
Disc =/= Digital. You can't download PS3 games on PSN when you have the disc, neither can the 360.
I can't believe I'm having to explain this on here, but a disc is indeed a digital format. The data is exactly the same, but just stored in a slightly different way. Goodness me.

kuroshiki said:
Those systems that HAS 100% backward compatibility, they already are packed with physical drive that are capable of reading previous generation games.
Yes, including DS/Lite. Nintendo didn't have to include a GBA port, but they did to support recently-released software.

kuroshiki said:
Can Gamecube play N64 games? Is Nintendo giving you free copy of Super Mario 64 for your spanking new Wii that doesn't have cartridge slot?
I've already been over GameCube: it failed. I don't know why you would want to compare Vita to GameCube. Every system since GameCube has supported BC on launch, including DS, which was also a different format. Vita is the first in ten years not to.

kuroshiki said:
There are physical copies and digital copies. Each have different value set. (If you want to argue with it, then argue with all other movie industries, too. I own 2 copies of Beauty and the beast. VHS and DVD. If I want to have LEGAL, 1080p digital copy then I have to buy separately from either amazon or itune, or whatever. What gives?)
Your DVD came with tons of incentives which led you to buy it, and it will still play on your Blu-Ray player today without flaw. I think you just argued that one across for me.

Michan said:
Backwards compatibility is an escape from that, and something many people would like to continue to exist. Go look back at topics from when Sony dropped PS2 support, or when Microsoft was skeptical about including backwards compatibility. Hell, even recent posts about the new Wii model dropping GameCube support!

People complain, but it makes no difference. The only way to change things is for people to vote with their wallets.

And so far BC has had no impact on sales of anything. Sony and MS have both been selling more and more even after dropping BC. The message being given to these companies, that BC is not a major factor in sales.

Koren

LiK said:
Or have people mail in UMD for a voucher as another option.
They could make the same with something else than the UMD. The last page of the manual, for example... That would be nice. The actual solution is interesting, though (free transfer is obviously impossible)

chickdigger802 said:
number 1 cardinal rule of gaming. Never sell your old games/consoles.
That used to be my number 1 rule.

Now it's number 2. Number 1 is "buy spare consoles just in case because they may fail soon, leaving you with unplayable games".

U2NUMB

If it was a flat or really low fee I could see people renting a ton of PSP games from Gamefly and just get them for next to nothing.

I guess most people will just hold onto their PSP for those games.

demigod

Michan said:
360 never failed. If you have one, you'll know it actually has very good BC support.

I can't believe I'm having to explain this on here, but a disc is indeed a digital format. The data is exactly the same, but just stored in a slightly different way. Goodness me.

I've already been over GameCube: it failed. I don't know why you would want to compare Vita to GameCube. Every system since GameCube has supported BC on launch, including DS, which was also a different format. Vita is the first in ten years not to.

Your DVD came with tons of incentives which led you to buy it, and it will still play on your Blu-Ray player today without flaw. I think you just argued that one across for me.

360 does not have very good BC. Not all games are BC and if I'm not mistaken, there are some games with problems.

We're talking about DIGITAL DOWNLOAD vs DISC FORMAT, not DIGITAL FORMAT.

The Gamecube didn't fail because it didn't have BC. The Wii didn't succeed because it was BC.

Berksy

It seems all good. Though it won't leave Japan, IMO.

I bought a PSP3000 for BC so I will pass :lol

Question: I used my USA copy of GTA on my Euro acoount to get a digital version. What do I get? And if I get Euro version of the game, how the hell my saves will work again?

Skilletor

Michan said:
360 never failed. If you have one, you'll know it actually has very good BC support..

It does? Because I can't play some of my favorite Xbox games on the system.

And Sony doesn't DEMAND anything of me. I bought games in a format the PSV would play.

Also, my DS XL doesn't play GBA games. Neither do DSi systems.

King_Moc

Banned
Do you REALLY think Bandwidth cost next to nothing?

Yes.

And the problem i see is that they are charging $10 for a game that they admit you already own. When other companies have been letting you play the previous gen's games on the new console for free. I agree that without the UMD's maybe there should be some sort of a charge to cover their cost's, but $10? You can probably get half the PSP's back catalogue on UMD for less than that. They can not justify this charge if their reasoning is just the bandwidth fee. If i reinstall Steam, it lets me redownload 300gb of games for free. By Sony's reckoning, this should cost me around $1600.

And i don;t know why everyone is making comparisons to gamecube/Wii etc.. I can't recall this type of scheme being done before, so there isn't really a valid comparison. They should just sell the games online for the same price. I'd be fine with that.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Oneself said:
so instead of ripping off owners of physical PSP games with that «transfer» thingy, they should offer no way to transfer UMDs and sell the entire PSP library at a fixed price. Kinda like what they are doing with PSone & PS2 downloads but much easier since PSP games are already on PSN.

I will. There will be an inevitable drought, and there are a whole bunch of games I missed out on after selling my PSP. so some of those I am likely to rebuy.

And assuming you 'trade-in' for digital downloads, you can always resell those physical UMDs on - either separately or to add value to selling your PSP on. Maybe won't recoup the full cost of the 'fee' but at least its an option

kuroshiki

ElTopo said:
So you'd say it would be justified if Nintendo asked you to pay 10$ to play the DS games you already bought on the 3DS ? Because that sounds pretty stupid. Or is this some kind of double standard ? Or even 'completely different' because they kept a slot for DS cartridges ?

If 3DS is abandoning DS cartridge insert slot, and only possible way of playing DS game on 3DS is via downloadable format, then do you really think Nintendo would give you free DS digital copies for your 3DS?

Or are you saying Vita should have big UMD drive attached on its back just for the sake of compatibility? Because either of that argument is stupid.

ElTopo said:
Sony left out the UMD drive for various reasons, among many to save money and keep the PSV battery life at least somewhat reasonable, yet now demands you pay them (again) a not-to-small fee of $10 to play games you already paid for. I don't see how this is fair, sorry.

No. Sony is letting out UMD because it is failed medium, not just because of battery life and money. Sony is not taking your UMD games. It is giving you discount of its downloadable form. You can STILL keep your UMD game and play it on your PSP.

Let me ask you this. If I have VHS version of Lion King, should I get free copy of it on Itune and still keep my VHS copy? Because you are asking exactly that.

ElTopo said:
Are you honestly telling me there was no legitimate way to offer people backwards compatibility for less or even free ? Or are you one of those that claim that there's little profit margin for Sony ? Because I seriously doubt it costs them $10.

NO. Sorry to disappoint you but I can't think of any other way. It doesn't matter whether it costs $10 or not. You still have a choice of NOT getting the discount for downloadable copy. I don't understand why you feel so entitled.

ElTopo said:
I'm sorry but backwards compatibility between generations should be the standard (and has been the standard for a long time), this seems - though this is just the impression I get, I'm sure someone around here can explain why this cannot cost less than $10 - another way of Sony to make a bit money, similar to the memory cards.

I'm sorry but that's totally not true. Gamecube and N64 had zero compatibility. Xbox360 and XBox doesn't have 100% compatibility.

kuroshiki

If 3DS is abandoning DS cartridge insert slot, and only possible way of playing DS game on 3DS is via downloadable format, then do you really think Nintendo would give you free DS digital copies for your 3DS?

Or are you saying Vita should have big UMD drive attached on its back just for the sake of compatibility? Because either of that argument is stupid.

ElTopo said:
Sony left out the UMD drive for various reasons, among many to save money and keep the PSV battery life at least somewhat reasonable, yet now demands you pay them (again) a not-to-small fee of $10 to play games you already paid for. I don't see how this is fair, sorry.

No. Sony is letting out UMD because it is failed medium, not just because of battery life and money. Sony is not taking your UMD games. It is giving you discount of its downloadable form. You can STILL keep your UMD game and play it on your PSP.

Let me ask you this. If I have VHS version of Lion King, should I get free copy of it on Itune and still keep my VHS copy? Because you are asking exactly that.

ElTopo said:
Are you honestly telling me there was no legitimate way to offer people backwards compatibility for less or even free ? Or are you one of those that claim that there's little profit margin for Sony ? Because I seriously doubt it costs them $10.

NO. Sorry to disappoint you but I can't think of any other way. It doesn't matter whether it costs $10 or not. You still have a choice of NOT getting the discount for downloadable copy. I don't understand why you feel so entitled.

gogogow

King_Moc said:
If i reinstall Steam, it lets me redownload 300gb of games for free. By Sony's reckoning, this should cost me around $1600.
I can re-download my entire PSN/XBLA library too, FOR FREE!

Michan

kuroshiki said:
Dude.

If you don't know, then be careful of what you post.

Do you REALLY think Bandwidth cost next to nothing?
He's right: these days, bandwidth costs next to nothing.

Skilletor said:
There's no way you thought the PS Vita would be able to play UMD games without a UMD drive.
Of course not. Those are just examples of the measures other companies have taken to make software you bought yesterday relevant today.

Skilletor said:
I can't play most of my Xbox games on my 360, either.
Microsoft did a fine job of software emulation. They went above and beyond in supporting all of their key titles. Even Ghoulies works, and that's saying something!

Skilletor said:
The software is still relevant. You can play it on the system for which you bought it. Sony isn't taking anything away from you and you aren't entitled to a digital copy just because you have a UMD.
You're right, but those who want to trade their PSP in for a discount on their Vita are going to be a bit disappointed, and we all know that hardware doesn't last forever. BC provides a little life support, and takes some weight out of your pocket/television stand. It's lovely.

kuroshiki said:
Total BS.

Vita is staying away from UMD because it is failed, flawed format. It can only hold 1.2G, slow, drains battery, etc. So you are saying VITA should carry UMD drive just because for the sake of backward compatibility?
Nope, I'm saying Sony needs to make more of an effort to support the software you're buying between now and Christmas.

BattleMonkey said:
And so far BC has had no impact on sales of anything. Sony and MS have both been selling more and more even after dropping BC. The message being given to these companies, that BC is not a major factor in sales.
BC is important for your first year-or-so on shelves. Many people who bought Xbox 360 were playing Halo 2 on it for the first year, for instance.

Five years into the generation and nobody cares if it's removed. Everybody who wanted BC has already upgraded (although looking at the recent Wii threads, there are an awful lot of grumpy people), and they've got 5 - 10 years of hardware support out of some of their favourite titles.

I don't see the problem. Yes, it's money coming out of your pocket but I'd rather this pay system than no system at all, or Sony getting the cold shoulder from pubs because they had a broken system.

Somnid

This is dumb, but not because of Sony, they are really doing the best they can without opening an all-you-can-eat PSP game buffet (you could say they should but I feel this is a bit of an extreme demand). There is no way to tell one disc from another, it's essentially saying if you have a UMD (yours, your friend's, rental etc) it will act as a coupon to buy a digital copy. I think this is a decent solution to a problem that has no ideal solution (USB drives for a portable? Really?). Certainly it's a lot better than nothing, which is typically what happens in these cases.

Sony's real fault was going UMD in the first place (but that's hindsight, you don't plan to make a system to support it's hypothetical successor), and that consumers continued to buy them over digital (and ironically even berated others for supporting their DD platform).

In full disclosure (because right now I know some of you are blindly going for the tag quote) my PSP collection is 100% digital and that was intentional. If it wasn't DD (hi Square-Enix) I said fuck it and they didn't get my money, if I had foresight the rest of you could have as well. This issue is over 3 years old.

For those who have been on the PSP since day one and didn't have much of a choice, I'm sorry. It really sucks and I'd be annoyed too but future-proof PSP was not.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Seems quite fair to me and I own a PSP with a bunch of UMD games, if you have a problem with this then continue to play your UMD based games on your PSP, there is no way Sony is obligated to give you a free digital copy of a game, people that think they are are borderline delusional.

Top Bottom