• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transfer your umd purchases to your Vita (with a fee).

They should add it as a free service for PS+ members to encourage uptake of the service...

Will pay off MORE than dividends in the long run...

Cartman86

Banned
http://andriasang.com/comyxt/

UMD Passport: Only One PSN Account Per UMD
...The fine print in Sony's press statement (see it here in Japanese) says that once you've registered a UMD with a PSN account it can't be registered with another PSN account.

Sony has not provided details on how it can determine if a UMD has been registered or not...

??? So I am paying for what? The right to own a digital version of a game I already own? :(

test_account

XP-39C²
Nuclear Muffin said:
I'm not complaining. It's a great initiative, I just wish they went with a standardised price, instead of letting publishers screw people over with $15+ prices.
That is fair enough :) I agree that it is a bit silly to charge noticeably more for the digital copy if the physical copy cost less.

Cartman86

Banned
Hyuga said:
Yes! Well, you can just keep the game you already own without paying anything, you know?

Well sadly I can't since my PSP just broke. Your point remains as i'm a weird outlier, but still this process seems so strange. It's just got a great deal considering I can't play my backwards compatible games since I bought physical copies. I would've bought some Square games if they were even on the digital store.

Noshino

Nuclear Muffin said:
I'm not complaining. It's a great initiative, I just wish they went with a standardised price, instead of letting publishers screw people over with $15+ prices.

The problem is that I don't think publishers would've agreed had they not been allowed to set the price (even if within a given price range)

Given that they have agreed to it, I think it is much more likely to seem them (publishers) put more of their back catalog on PSN

Cartman86

Banned
spindoc said:
They cannot determine if the same UMD has been registered, none of these UMDs carry unique identifiers.

That's what I thought. Andriasang must have misinterpreted the press release?

mAcOdIn

Cartman86 said:
That's what I thought. Andriasang must have misinterpreted the press release?
Or it's not an actual protection method on Sony's part just merely telling you that passing around the disc to friends to get the discounted download for them as well is against their terms of service and they don't want you doing it, don't do it. Just because Sony's says something doesn't mean they actually have to be able to enforce it.

Better than nothing, but considering how much of my PSP library was bought at $15, $10, or less to begin with I don't know how much I'll bother.

gogogow

confused said:
We're winning by having to rebuy our games ? In that case I'd have preffered Vita HD remakes.
It seems you are.........confused..........you don't have to buy anything. Sony don't have to do anything. Imo it's not meant to be "purchase" ALL of my 100 PSP games on the Vita again. But they put this system in place for people who want to play their *favourite* PSP games on the Vita (if your title is available of course). 1000 yen fee and up is a bit steep imo, a fee sounds more like 500 yen or something, but it's better than nothing, like they did nothing for the PSPGo. This is probably the best solution they could come up with, the system that is, not the price, but that's probably what the publishers are allowed to set themselves and not Sony, otherwise they would be against this.

Limanima

Am I missing something here?
I have this UMD game that I payed for, and now, in order to play on Vita I have to pay a fee of $10?
How can some posters say it's a good deal? It seems more like a steal, not a deal.

test_account

XP-39C²
Limanima said:
I have this UMD game that I payed for, and now, in order to play on Vita I have to pay a fee of $10?
How can some posters say it's a good deal? It seems more like a steal, not a deal.
"Transfering" and "fee" are a bit misleading. There arent any tranfering or fees involved, but you just register your UMD copy and you get a discount on the the digital copy.

Toki767 said:
So when do we get a transfer fee for transferring PS3 games to the Vita version?
Do you mean multiplatform games? :) Then you have to buy multiply copies if you want the game on different systems.

confused

Banned
gogogow said:
It seems you are.........confused..........you don't have to buy anything. Sony don't have to do anything. Imo it's not meant to be "purchase" ALL of my 100 PSP games on the Vita again. But they put this system in place for people who want to play their *favourite* PSP games on the Vita (if your title is available of course). 1000 yen fee and up is a bit steep imo, a fee sounds more like 500 yen or something, but it's better than nothing, like they did nothing for the PSPGo. This is probably the best solution they could come up with, the system that is, not the price, but that's probably what the publishers are allowed to set themselves and not Sony, otherwise they would be against this.

If I want to play my PSP games on PSVita I will have to rebuy them. This is Sony getting paid twice for a single game. It's nickel and diming a customer for something they already own.

It's also pissing over everybody who didn't use PSN on their PSP's as games bought on PSN do carry over, giving them prefferential treatment over customers who buy at B+M

test_account

XP-39C²
confused said:
If I want to play my PSP games on PSVita I will have to rebuy them. This is Sony getting paid twice for a single game. It's nickel and diming a customer for something they already own.

It's also pissing over everybody who didn't use PSN on their PSP's as games bought on PSN do carry over, giving them prefferential treatment over customers who buy at B+M
Just out of curiousity, which solution would you think is better? And also a realistic solution (giving away free digital copies in this case is not realsitic in my opinion since then people could just rent or share the same UMD a lot of times).

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Hmm...unless they have something in here that I'm not noticing this should work for PSP Go owners as well as what you end up with in the end is a regular PSN version of the game.

gogogow

Limanima said:

Edit: This post fits right here too:

confused said:

Yes, you are. You paid for the UMD to play on the PSP not Vita. Sony never advertised on the UMD, the box, the manual, websites or in any press release that a UMD will work on a possible successor of the PSP that will/might be released in the future.
I would also like to have my entire UMD collection to work on the Vita, but we need to be realistic. The Vita doesn't have a UMD drive.

Raonak

Banned
confused said:
PSP-GO users are the only ones guaranteed not to have a problem wth this.

Or people smart enough to realise UMD is a horrible media, and theres no way in hell sony would use it again for PSP2.

Started buying digital a few months after they started releasing titles day and date. (around the launch of patapon2)

confused

Banned
test_account said:
Just out of curiousity, which solution would you think is better? And also a realistic solution (giving away free digital copies in this case is not realsitic in my opinion since then people could just rent or share the same UMD a lot of times).

Register UMD's to a psp account and keep a database of registered UMD's

gogogow

confused said:
We've been over this a million times. You CANNOT register a UMD. There is no unique key to identify each and every single UMD out there since 2004. What Sony is doing now is the most realistic. The price however is a different matter.

test_account

XP-39C²
confused said:
Unfortunately that wouldnt be possible because as gogogow mentioned, UMD (and other physical games as well as far as i know) dont have an unique identifier. All copies are viewed as the exact same copy.

gogogow said:
We've been over this a million times. You CANNOT register a UMD. There is no unique key to identify each and every single UMD out there since 2004. What Sony is doing now is the most realistic. The price however is a different matter.

a bit off topic, but since Vita games seems to have some writeable memory on the cart, it'd be nice if can buy a Vita games on retail, then register that card to specific vita so I get the downloadable version too. I like having multiple games on 1 card and always have it on my Vita although some special edition retail games comes with nice bonus etc.

gogogow

Callibretto said:
a bit off topic, but since Vita games seems to have some writeable memory on the cart, it'd be nice if can buy a Vita games on retail, then register that card to specific vita so I get the downloadable version too. I like having multiple games on 1 card and always have it on my Vita although some special edition retail games comes with nice bonus etc.
What is stoppping people to REWRITE the Vita physical copy again on another PSVita and download another digital copy for free?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Mik2121 said:
So I could actually go and rent all the games off that list that I'm interested in, pay the fee and get them forever without having to pay the full price?
:lol where to rent from?

Blockbuster is gone. Another rental chain in Toronto, Jumbo video is gone. I *think* we may have one left...somewhere...

gogogow said:
What is stoppping people to REWRITE the Vita physical copy again on another PSVita and download another digital copy for free?

UMD current problem is because it didn't have unique ID to differentiate between 2 UMD of the same games. why can't Vita card is already designed like that? next time you use that Vita cartridge game on another Vita, it will ask for a one time authentification from online. then that Vita is registered for that particular account. similar to game sharing.

kerrak

As usual, plenty of "everything should be free" comments.
Sony has come with an elegant yet abuse-free solution. Can any of the critics suggest a better one?
In my opinion, the registration will be stored in the psp, so in a psp you can only "transfer" the same umd once.
On the other hand sony recently released the psp E1004: a cheaper model (with no wifi, mono speaker) to play your old umd if your psp broke, have a big umd collection and dont need wifi.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Cartman86 said:
http://andriasang.com/comyxt/

??? So I am paying for what? The right to own a digital version of a game I already own? :(

If you buy the UMD version you are only buying the right to play it as a UMD. Saying that you're buying something you already own is like saying that buying the PS3 version of a game should automatically give you free access to the 360 & PC version as well. It's like saying that publishers should send you a UMD when you buy a game off the PSN.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you see it), it is not the way software works.

Michan

Noshino said:
So if said UMD game got a port for say....3DS, with nothing added, just straight up port.

Would you also complain that you should be getting it for free?
What a stupid question. DS/DSi games play on 3DS at no charge.

Vita is the first system since GameCube to not have backwards compatibility available to early adopters. It's something we've come to expect, so it's something people are going to be upset about.

There was a thread recently about whether or not you would pay for backwards compatibility. The general consensus was "No thanks, I wouldn't; it should be a standard."

gogogow

Callibretto said:
UMD current problem is because it didn't have unique ID to differentiate between 2 UMD of the same games. why can't Vita card is already designed like that? next time you use that Vita cartridge game on another Vita, it will ask for a one time authentification from online. then that Vita is registered for that particular account. similar to game sharing.
That would cause a LOT of inconvenience if you want to borrow your game or you want to borrow a game from your friend and there's no Wifi signal. And people would abuse the shit out of that system. One time authentification register on PSVita #2 > download Digital Copy > One time authentification register on PSVita #3 > download Digital Copy > One time authentification register on PSVita #4 > download Digital Copy > etc. etc.

I'm not sure how feasible it is to have a unique ID in every Vita card itself, written on NAND/Flash, would cost a fortune.

anddo0

Are these just images or will they be downloadable from the store?

I'd love to be able to download KHBBS and Crisis Core.

Noshino said:
The problem is that I don't think publishers would've agreed had they not been allowed to set the price (even if within a given price range)

Given that they have agreed to it, I think it is much more likely to seem them (publishers) put more of their back catalog on PSN

You're probably right. Hopefully it'll lead to more PSN support since a lot of people will expect to be able to play their retail PSP games on their future Vita (I'M LOOKING AT YOU SQUARE ENIX AND Q ENTERTAINMENT!)

gogogow

Michan said:

Vita is the first system since GameCube to not have backwards compatibility available to early adopters. It's something we've come to expect, so it's something people are going to be upset about.

There was a thread recently about whether or not you would pay for backwards compatibility. The general consensus was "No thanks, I wouldn't; it should be a standard."
It's been said a few times already. The problem is going from UMD to flash-based cartridges. With DS->3DS Nintendo is basically using the same format. I would be real mad and pushing over magazine racks everywhere if Vita was using UMD and my PSP UMDs wouldn't be BC. See N64->Gamecube.

gogogow said:
That would cause a LOT of inconvenience if you want to borrow your game or you want to borrow a game from your friend and there's no Wifi signal. And people would abuse the shit out of that system. One time authentification register on PSVita #2 > download Digital Copy > One time authentification register on PSVita #3 > download Digital Copy > One time authentification register on PSVita #4 > download Digital Copy > etc. etc.

I'm not sure how feasible it is to have a unique ID in every Vita card itself, written on NAND/Flash, would cost a fortune.

if it work like game sharing, you'll be limited to 2 device authentication.

if unique ID for every card is not feasible than make it so you"copy" the content of game to Vita while online, at the same time, some data will be written on that card making it unplayable in other Vita. if you want to lend it to other people, you have to connect online with your account again, and "move" the game from your Vita to the cartridge again.

edit: probably easier if I said you're basically moving your license around between card and vita.

Michan said:

The VITA has BC to all PSP games on PSN.

Michan

gogogow said:
It's been said a few times already. The problem is going from UMD to flash-based cartridges. With DS->3DS Nintendo is basically using the same format. I would be real mad and pushing over magazine racks everywhere if Vita was using UMD and my PSP UMDs wouldn't be BC. See N64->Gamecube.
I would think it must be obvious to any GAF poster that they're switching formats here; it needs no explanation. Perhaps you didn't read the post I quoted, but he suggested UMDs should also play on 3DS for a charge. That is a ridiculous claim and beside the point, since Nintendo supports the entire DS library. In fact, speaking of DS, that system initially supported Game Boy software despite it also being a completely different format. It is the platform holder's responsibility/decision to support their legacy hardware and software.

This is a pretty lousy effort on Sony's part to be "backwards compatible." The company may as well just pass the savings on, rather than dedicate resources to this time-wasting "transfer." Something is clearly broken when you can easily pick up 90+% of the PSP for less than this fee.

By the way, you need not remind us of how the N64->GameCube transition faired. Actually, thinking about it, every non-debut system without backwards compatibility at launch has either failed or lost the manufacturer considerable marketshare. See PSP Go, N64, GameCube, Game Boy micro, pretty much all SEGA hardware... The only time I can think of that a system hasn't failed is during the Super generation, and that was pretty much a neck-and-neck two horse race.

I'm not suggesting we'll say Vita has failed in retrospect. It's just an observation you brought to my attention.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Hmmmm, if the support is actually better, it may be worth doing that for the UMD stuff. It's a nice middle groung.

I've been tempted to re-buy Syphon Filter psp 1 a few times on PSN Store, but I'll see how it goes with this program. assuming it's available in US.

Some people have overly high expectations. Of course they aren't going to just let anyone get free games. Almost every system to tranfer for free people keep thinking up with are all invitations to get free games and abuse the system. Of course they have to charge a fee. Tons of people downloading all these PSP games is also not free either, that's alot of bandwith.

The only other option really besides this would have been a seperate UMD drive accessory, but that kind of would kill portablity and just be a big fee your paying up front to play some old games.

Zafir

Will have to try and borrow someone elses PSP to do it, or remove the CFW from mine.

Nice to see some kind of deal though, certainly better than not getting anything at all.

Michan

The SDF is in full force in this thread.

BattleMonkey said:
Some people have overly high expectations. Of course they aren't going to just let anyone get free games. Almost every system to tranfer for free people keep thinking up with are all invitations to get free games and abuse the system. Of course they have to charge a fee.
People have already paid Sony for the games.

BattleMonkey said:
Tons of people downloading all these PSP games is also not free either, that's alot of bandwith.
1.8 GB bandwidth does not cost Sony $10 - 15. Maybe 10 - 15¢ at a stretch.

demigod

Bitch and whine because ya'll couldn't transfer your games from UMD to PSP Go. Bitch and whine now that they allow you to transfer UMD to Vita with a fee. NOBODY is forcing you to play your UMDs on Vita, play it on your PSP and stop crying.

Top Bottom