• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"One, two, three, N*****"

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.buffalonews.com/city/communities/tonawanda/article665195.ece

At least a dozen Kenmore East High School girls varsity basketball players have been suspended and face other sanctions for using a racial slur as part of their regular pregame locker room chant.

The team's only African-American player this year, sophomore Tyra Batts, said she was shocked when she learned of the tradition before the team's opening game against Sweet Home High School last Friday.

"I said, 'You're not allowed to say that word because I don't like that word,'" she recalled. "They said, 'You know we're not racist, Tyra. It's just a word, not a label.' I was outnumbered."

Tyra added that her teammates would routinely make racial references and jokes during practice, including ones regarding slavery, shackles and "picking cotton." She said her coach, Kristy Bondgren, heard comments from other players about Tyra being black but was unaware of the pregame chant.

Are we really supposed to believe nobody else at the School knew about this?

UberTag

tmapi.jpg

Replicant

It's just a word, not a label.

Fuck anyone who ever said this. Word matters. Word can hurt. Until you've been in the shoes of those who's been discriminated and ridiculed because you are different, don't even try to tell me that "it's just a word".

mik83kuu

Banned
Haha oh man they didn't even stop using it after they got a black team member? Wow that's actually a good defense against claims of racism.

It's still ugly and unnecessary though.

Clevinger

Why did I look in the comments?

I have no intention of being "mortified" by this incident.
The "N" word is part of the English language and if used in proper context and definition,I see no issue.I'm WHITE and not ashamed that it's part of the English language,heritage, and culture of which I am dignified and proud of. Black youths use it like it's going out of style but claim it's done out of "love and respect"(yeah right). If Blacks don't like it ,then don't use it. However,we're allowed. It's OUR language and if you don't like it then go back and speak in your own native tongue ...we really don't need to communicate. Furthermore,I find it quite niggardly for someone to tell me that I'm not allowed to use this "N" word;you've just have no right here.

*slams face into desk*

jaxword

How in any way does yelling "Nigga!" on a four count pump you up for a sport?

Strange story -- in my high school our football team had the official chant which had the phrase "Our score is bigger!"

For some hilarious reason, the lockeroom boys liked to chant "Let's go my niggas" instead. This included boys of all races (just black and white on the team though, no asians or brown dudes). I think the coach didn't give a damn as long as the team won a lot.

I think bad words are HARDCORE and EDGY when you're 16 years old.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I yell the same thing as I walk through the doors at work. I wondered why my cowokers have been looking at me so strangely and I'm in the HR office so much. Did I mention I also yell it when making copies, pouring a cup of coffee and right before stapling thick stacks of paper? I also say it while having sex and/or taking a shit. I mean, I'm probably going to say it right before I hit the respond button to post this reply!

Trey

Strange story -- in my high school our football team had the official chant which had the phrase "Our score is bigger!"

For some hilarious reason, the lockeroom boys liked to chant "Let's go my niggas" instead. This included boys of all races (just black and white on the team though, no asians or brown dudes).

I think bad words are HARDCORE and EDGY when you're 16 years old.

That makes more sense. "Nigga" can be another word for dude, guy, etc. "Let's go my niggas!" make sense, but "one, two, three, dude!" doesn't.

People don't understand something when it comes to the word "racist" and corresponding words with it. I've seen it here on GAF and at the work place and among my friends who are both black and white.

There's a difference between being racist and racially insensitive.

One can be racially insensitive but not be racist by nature. This can be brought on by number of factors: they're trying to be funny, trying to fit in with a group, or they are just ignorant of what may offend another race.

Being ignorant something regaurding a race can be insensitive and offend them.

This is a shining case of being insensitive. These girls may not be racist, although it's possible some or all of them are. They know better. They are aware that it is taboo but they think it's funny and they are guilty of not respecting their team mate. It needs to be made clear that such a chant is offensive and in extreme poor taste.

The coach being not aware of this is totaly absurd.

Lucario

I went in expecting a racist children's book, but this might be even more bizzare. One, two, three, N*****?

There has to be some school history behind this, or it was the coach. I can't picture kids just randomly deciding that was the chant they should use. (That said, they're still racist fucks for repeating it YEAR AFTER YEAR and never stopping. I'm just skeptical of the school/coach, as this is far too bizzare to just be out of nowhere.)

asian250

Fuck anyone who ever said this. Word matters. Word can hurt. Until you've been in the shoes of those who's been discriminated and ridiculed because you are different, don't even try to tell me that "it's just a word".

It is just a word. I've been called everything under the sun for being asian when I went to basically an all white school. I just shrugged it off and viewed the people using it as ignorant. To me it no less different than dropping the f-bomb, just meh. I suppose I would feel different if I was black, but I was subject to discrimination. In that regard, I suppose my view is skewed since I have thick skin, and don't really care. My point...people let words get to them too easily.

asian250

People don't understand something when it comes to the word "racist" and corresponding words with it. I've seen it here on GAF and at the work place and among my friends who are both black and white.

One can be racially insensitive but not be racist by nature. This can be brought on by number of factors: they're trying to be funny, trying to fit in with a group, or they are just ignorant of what may offend another race.

This is a shining case of being insensitive. These girls may not be racist, although it's possible some or all of them are. They know better. They are aware that it is taboo but they think it's funny and they are guilty of not respecting their team mate. It needs to be made clear that such a chant is offensive and in extreme poor taste.

This... I believe this to be often the case.

DiscoJer

But wait, I thought only the South was racist? Not in enlightened New York State.

This is ridiculous. The only time it's ever really appropriate to use a racial slur is when you are making a point about how ridiculous/hateful it is by hyperbole or the like (Blazing Saddles, for instance).

I can't believe these kids didn't know this. I realize there are a few people that are clueless, but that many. I remember 25 years ago or so, in high school, we were reading Mark Twain, one guy was talking about it and referred to Jim using his nickname. There was a hush over the whole classroom and more than a few facepalms.

So much truth.

I mean, it's a basic respect thing how hard is that to understand?

Why did I look in the comments?

*slams face into desk*

You know, I read comments like these and I wonder who these people are in real life. I wonder how they look and dress and if they live in a nice house. I wonder how they were brought up and if they have the ability to think rationaly. I wonder if they vote right or left wing. I also wonder if they have ever travelled outside of their state or country.

I wonder many things.

Then I wonder what I'd do if I met that person.

Sigh.

Anyway, regarding the comment... yes blacks say "nigga" but not all. It's still insensitive which is what I'm trying to get at. Also, you don't see blacks chant this word to hype themselves up for a game. Conversly, you don't see them say any other racial slur to hype themselves up as well.

And what the fuck would be my "native tongue"???

But she is right about one thing... I don't have the right to tell her what to say.

You know, I read comments like these and I wonder who these people are in real life. I wonder how they look and dress and if they live in a nice house. I wonder how they were brought up and if they have the ability to think rationaly. I wonder if they vote right or left wing. I also wonder if they have ever travelled outside of their state or country.

Honestly, a large portion of it is probably:

X3WNH.jpg

People just trying to get a rise out of others.

ndiicm

Honestly, a large portion of it is probably:

X3WNH.jpg

People just trying to get a rise out of others.

people let out their inner racist when they know they are hidden. If Gaf wasn't moderated so many people on here would be using the N-word.

Fact of the matter is the USA has a long history of racism and it wont go away anytime soon. Social segregation and inequality are the order of the day. Just look at unemployment numbers for Black americans and Hispanics vs whites....

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm still a little weirded out that you can't even use the word in context. I literally can't think of any other word that can't be used in any context at all despite the fact that everyone knows what it means.

people let out their inner racist when they know they are hidden. If Gaf wasn't moderated so many people on here would be using the N-word.

Fact of the matter is the USA has a long history of racism and it wont go away anytime soon. Social segregation and inequality are the order of the day. Just look at unemployment numbers for Black americans and Hispanics vs whites....

Oh, I'm not denying that some of the comments in that article, and on places like YouTube, aren't genuinely real. But I believe a large amount of it is just idiots being idiotic. Trying to piss off others to make themselves laugh and they'll say whatever they can to make that happen.

jaxword

I wonder how they were brought up and if they have the ability to think rationaly.

I wonder if they vote right or left wing.

I also wonder if they have ever travelled outside of their state or country.

I think you can probably work out the answer to all three of those.

Swag

I don't even understand how something like this, remained as a chant year after year, you figure eventually they would've thought it was a bad idea.

I don't even understand how something like this, remained as a chant year after year, you figure eventually they would've thought it was a bad idea.

The morons probably thought it brought them luck or something and actually helped win games. "Tradition," and everything.

Throavium

I have no intention of being "mortified" by this incident.
The "N" word is part of the English language and if used in proper context and definition,I see no issue.I'm WHITE and not ashamed that it's part of the English language,heritage, and culture of which I am dignified and proud of. Black youths use it like it's going out of style but claim it's done out of "love and respect"(yeah right). If Blacks don't like it ,then don't use it. However,we're allowed. It's OUR language and if you don't like it then go back and speak in your own native tongue ...we really don't need to communicate. Furthermore,I find it quite niggardly for someone to tell me that I'm not allowed to use this "N" word;you've just have no right here.
uh_wtf_gif.gif

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand the story.

I don't understand how '1,2,3 Nigger!' becomes a chant. It doesn't even make sense or rhyme.

they should at least append 'had a cup of tea' to the end or something? I mean, racism is deplorable. But lazy racism, that's just embarrassing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom