• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"One, two, three, N*****"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sincerely believe that in every school where bullying or racism exists, there is always a teacher or two who encourages the behavior or turns a blind eye. 9 out of 10 times it's the PE teacher or some coach.

Next month it's going to be the year 2012 come on people we gotta do better.

I always see comments about how absurd it is that people have certain views in "2011" or in the "21st century", but the idea that bigotry diminishes in an evolutionary progression is misguided. If anything, it goes up and down in waves and the bigotry just moves and gets focused on different things, or just hides from the public eye. It's sad but true.

Agnostic

but believes in Chael
Looking forward to when this team travels to a predominantly African American school and has a game to play.

Hex

Banned
CLwLW.jpg

"Ah ah wait..what..?"

etiolate

Banned
As the president of the United States-based New England Confectionery Company, I feel I have a solution that can help everyone involved and provide a delicious treat to young adults!

SmokyDave

It's the title of a song, come on.

Doesn't make it any less uncomfortable. I can think of plenty of song lyrics / movie quotes that I wouldn't feel comfortable using. A friend of mine went through a period of saying "Shiiiiit negro, that's all you had to say" (Pulp Fiction) and it sounded like nails on chalkboard to my ears.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Doesn't make it any less uncomfortable. I can think of plenty of song lyrics / movie quotes that I wouldn't feel comfortable using. A friend of mine went through a period of saying "Shiiiiit negro, that's all you had to say" (Pulp Fiction) and it sounded like nails on chalkboard to my ears.

calling something by it's title and reciting a quote are very different imo.

Dyno

Why must white people continually troll black people in America? How come they can't just let this go? How come that word, off all the words, has to be painted on rocks and used in a sports cheer? It's just the most fucked up thing I can think of doing and it comes back again and again, even in places where it makes no sense.

American white people, please! Put down the word, walk away from the word.

Fuck anyone who ever said this. Word matters. Word can hurt. Until you've been in the shoes of those who's been discriminated and ridiculed because you are different, don't even try to tell me that "it's just a word".

us military to start using words instead of weapons? I think yes.

Why must white people continually troll black people in America? How come they can't just let this go? How come that word, off all the words, has to be painted on rocks and used in a sports cheer? It's just the most fucked up thing I can think of doing and it comes back again and again, even in places where it makes no sense.

They can't help themselves. Good thing years on the internet have made me pretty much immune to most of their ignorance/racism.

They just can't live in a world where they can't use that word, is all. Shit's like catnip.

Brobzoid

What about quoting a lyric from a song? Is that different to quoting the songs title?

I mean, it depends. normally when someone quotes something they don't pre-face it with saying that it's a quote. So it's very similar to just straight up making a statement, you know? whereas a title is usually said in a context where it's obvious you're referring to something.

NJ Shlice

If they were saying Niggas then I'm not saying its okay but c'mon. It's in every rap song you hear. How are little ignorant girls supposed to immediately know the history of the word and it's many forms.

In rap, Niggas is used as a word to express, among many things, cool bad-ass people. Kanye and JayZ's song is called Niggas in Paris. How can they not expect people to think its okay. Especially young ignorant ones.

SmokyDave

I mean, it depends. normally when someone quotes something they don't pre-face it with saying that it's a quote. So it's very similar to just straight up making a statement, you know? whereas a title is usually said in a context where it's obvious you're referring to something.

I guess, I just think that it's a fairly thin line and one that I wouldn't feel comfortable treading.

They can't help themselves. Good thing years on the internet have made me pretty much immune to most of their ignorance/racism.
They just can't live in a world where they can't use that word, is all. Shit's like catnip.
When you say 'they', you're talking about more than 200 million individuals. Fighting fire with fire isn't terribly effective.

Well, a lot of the black community has given the word new life instead of just letting it riot away(more or less). Not really a troll when the very group it's meant to hurt starts calling themselves that with a smile. It's like a big ass "mission accomplished" sign to all the ones who do believe black people are what that word describes. White people aren't the ones most responsible for it being so prevalent and open, not today. Sure, racism would still be around, but at least it wouldn't be halfway condoned or explainable.

Might as well make holocaust into slang for an awesome party.

If they were saying Niggas then I'm not saying its okay but c'mon. It's in every rap song you hear. How are little ignorant girls supposed to immediately know the history of the word and it's many forms.

In rap, Niggas is used as a word to express, among many things, cool bad-ass people. Kanye and JayZ's song is called Niggas in Paris. How can they not expect people to think its okay. Especially young ignorant ones.
That's all on the parents to guide children away from using vulgarities, if they lack the common sense to do so themselves.

That goes for kids of all colors.

What about quoting a lyric from a song? Is that different to quoting the songs title?
- Kanye West, giving white people the excuse to say "nigga" since 2005.

Brobzoid

I guess, I just think that it's a fairly thin line and one that I wouldn't feel comfortable treading.

I agree, but I just wanted to point out that actually quoting lines (from a song or a movie) is far more incendiary since it very easily can come across as a statement. And conflating the two over-simplifies the issue.

SmokyDave

Many of us don't want that excuse. It's an ugly word. Reminds me of 'Kraut'. Nobody would get offended if I said that word but I'd sure as fuck still not use it.

I agree, but I just wanted to point out that actually quoting lines (from a song or a movie) is far more incendiary since it very easily can come across as a statement.
Yeah, that's a fair point.

That's all on the parents to guide children away from using vulgarities, if they lack the common sense to do so themselves.

- Kanye West, giving white people the excuse to say "nigga" since Late Registration.

True but 80% of the parents do not even know wtf their children are listening. Especially immigrant parents who do not understand English lyrics that much. The word is too much popularized by the mainstream music artist and children even if they know the meaning behind it will not understand the gravity of it when it is used so lightly. t

I'd say Dave Chappelle was worse. Everyone quotes bits from Chappelle Show, and the "fuck you couch n*****, fuck yo couch!" bit is often among the most quoted, along with a few other choice quotes from his stand up.

True but 80% of the parents do not even know wtf their children are listening. Especially immigrant parents who do not understand English lyrics that much. The word is too much popularized by the mainstream music artist and children even if they know the meaning behind it will not understand the gravity of it when it is used so lightly. t
I can't deny that. English was my parents' second language as well, but after living in the US for many years they understood the weight of the word and to this day it's taboo in the house: and I'm black myself.

If the parents aren't available, it's up to the teachers. Surely these kids can't be running around with any sort of guidance.

I can't stress enough for parents to stay involved in what kids listen to/see.

I'd say Dave Chappelle was worse. Everyone quotes bits from Chappelle Show, and the "fuck you couch n*****, fuck yo couch!" bit is often among the most quoted, along with a few other choice quotes from his stand up.
I only said Kanye West due to Gold Digger being a charttopper. But, I do remember hearing the Dave Chappelle jokes in the hallways during highschool from non-blacks. I mean, I'm sure there wasn't any malice in the words they said, but it sure got my attention.

Shorty

Banned

This is true. The connotation of the word has changed a lot over time and when I hear the title 'Niggas in Paris' I don't think of slaves in paris but of smooth motherfuckers rocking paris.

rezuth

She looks mighty fine on her facebook :) I don't get why people still use racial slur, do we really need to have a chant with that word in it? What exactly does it improve?

UrbanRats

I think all the argument is fucking pathetic.
All the loop-holes and terrible rationalizations white people search, just to say it.
But, at the same time, i think most of the power does come from the taboo factor (like other words, in the same vein), especially in the youngest audience.

And i also think that "the N-word" it's just as pathetic.
Expressed better by Louis CK here; irony aside, he has a point, i think (about the term "n-word", just as much as "f-word" or "c-word") unless you're dealing with childrens, an adult knows the meaning of all these terms, and chances are, you're just being descriptive of a 3rd person situation, for example: "We were at the post office, and this old lady said the n-word" out loud" so, to me, it just sounds stupid AND offensive, as you think people are too dumb to even handle the sound of it, while you perfectly know that they must know said word, to even understand what you're talking about (rendering the whole process pointless).
With that said, i was looking for another, very relevant Louis CK bit, where he actually questions why do some (white) people, feel the need to say it, when they go on and on about their rights and stuff, it's just quite silly.. but i cant' find it.

Then again, i'm not American/English, so i may be missing some points there (although there's the word's equivalent in Italian, so i think the point still stands).

akira28

As the president of the United States-based New England Confectionery Company, I feel I have a solution that can help everyone involved and provide a delicious treat to young adults!

please tell me you're not referring to n*****-toes. I girl I dated told me about those. I was like...what?

This is true. The connotation of the word has changed a lot over time and when I hear the title 'Niggas in Paris' I don't think of slaves in paris but of smooth motherfuckers rocking paris.

um..yeah..no. Any time I hear a person, white, using the word in certain company, it's the same line as when they used "bros" or the "yos" or "brothas". They're not talking about smooth mofos...

Really it comes down to adults being responsible and telling kids they shouldn't use that word or any word resembling it. Because that's maturity. But now that I'm an adult, I realize adults really aren't that much better, and the responsible ones I knew growing up were the exception and not the rule. Really kind of sobering to find out the true new 'normal'.

SmokyDave

some white folks just love the way the word nigger rolls off the tongue.

I think there are some white folks who, right or wrong, will not tolerate being told to change their vocabulary on account of their ethnicity. If it was a case of "nobody says it!", I think you'd see a lot less of it. Saying 'black people can say 'X' but white people can't' is seen as a challenge by some.

I think there are some white folks who, right or wrong, will not tolerate being told to change their vocabulary on account of their ethnicity. If it was a case of "nobody says it!", I think you'd see a lot less of it. Saying 'black people can say 'X' but white people can't' is seen as a challenge by some.
That's true. And it's not only a thing in white folks, it's all across the globe with older people especially.

My mother for example calls all Asian people "Chinese." I tell her that calling them that is incorrect and she should use "Asian" and her only response is, "I'm too old, I'll just forget that. You know what I mean."

Asians, stay away from my mom.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

Well they need to get the fuck over it.

SmokyDave

That's true. And it's not only a thing in white folks, it's all across the globe with older people especially.

My mother for example calls all Asian people "Chinese." I tell her that calling them that is incorrect and she should use "Asian" and her only response is, "I'm too old, I'll just forget that. You know what I mean."

Asians, stay away from my mom.
Yup, I occasionally walk through the 'black / coloured' minefield with my Gran. Bless her, she gets so wrapped up in getting it right, she usually gets it wrong and comes out with some 30 year old term.

Well they need to get the fuck over it.

Great argument there champ. From the line of logic that bought us such classics as 'black people should just get over it'.

Shorty

Banned
I think all the argument is fucking pathetic.
All the loop-holes and terrible rationalizations white people search, just to say it.
But, at the same time, i think most of the power does come from the taboo factor (like other words, in the same vein), especially in the youngest audience.

And i also think that "the N-word" it's just as pathetic.
Expressed better by Louis CK here
That's a great bit by Louie. There's another one where he mentions that the word Jew can either be descriptive of ones religion or a terrible slur depending on your undertone. It can be neutral or a real nasty sounding Jew.

I think it's similar with nigga. If a racist says it, he's hopefully going to get punched in the face for it. But if I say it to my friends it's just a word. I don't think Andrew should harvest cotton with no pay for a living when I say it. I also call my friends sons of bitches, assholes, cocksuckers but that doesn't mean they necessarily enjoy penis in their mouths or that their mothers are bitches (although some of them probably are) it's all friendly/jokingly and most importantly context dependend.

Agreed. You can say whatever you want. Just be prepared to deal with the consequences. That's really all there is to it. Right or wrong.

"But-but-but black people do it!" doesn't hold its own when you analyze the CONTEXT in which the word is used. If you're chillin with not a black person in sight and someone's like "Those damn N----, make me sick!" is completely fucking different than "What's good, my N----?"

It's the context that defines the word.

Wazzim

Banned
You'll always have those people who just can't seem to deal with respect.
Talking tough all day long etc. but pooping their pants and calling their mom once someone finally decides to hit them in frustration of their ignorance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom