• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Texas teacher nicknames class her ‘jighaboos’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiv47

My grandfather, who was from the South, used to use the term "ubangee" when going on about black people. I had to look that shit up as a kid, because I didn't know what the hell it was. My handy dictionary (way before internet here) told me it referred to a central African tribe. So presumably there was meant to be a "them savages" connotation. Never heard it used since, thankfully.

KingV

My dad used to call the cursor on our Apple IIe word processing program "the jigaboo." I had no idea what it meant until years later, and I still don't quite know why he applied a racial slur to a blinking white rectangle.

Clearly your dad thought it was a black rectangle that blinked to white

No joke, before I consciously knew of this word I accidentally 'invented' it as a nickname for a friend. It wasnt long before I was informed that it already existed and what it meant. I retired that shit so fast.

I thought it was cute. :( Then I remembered Clerks 2.

My dad used to call the cursor on our Apple IIe word processing program "the jigaboo." I had no idea what it meant until years later, and I still don't quite know why he applied a racial slur to a blinking white rectangle.

Maybe he mixed it up with 'thingamajig' and like me, thought it sounded cute.

probably came to the surface while his brain was searching for "thingamajig"

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Maybe he mixed it up with 'thingamajig' and like me, thought it sounded cute.

probably came to the surface while his brain was searching for "thingamajig"

I know my dad, and I am 100% positive he knew what he was saying. I grew up in a house where you could not tell anyone it was 2:30 within earshot of my dad because he would instantly respond "Better go see the Chinese dentist!" every time.

The Kree

Banned
I know my dad, and I am 100% positive he knew what he was saying. I grew up in a house where you could not tell anyone it was 2:30 within earshot of my dad because he would instantly respond "Better go see the Chinese dentist!" every time.

No.

No.

EdLuva

Took me a moment...omg.

Luschient

I grew up in a house where you could not tell anyone it was 2:30 within earshot of my dad because he would instantly respond "Better go see the Chinese dentist!" every time.

giphy.gif

The Lamp

I said omg

Cartoonish racism is the best kind of racism

Does Juggalo come from some sort of deformed appropriation of Jigaboo?

wikipedia said:
The term originated during a 1994 live performance by Insane Clown Posse. During the song "The Juggla", Violent J addressed the audience as Juggalos, and the positive response resulted in Violent J and Shaggy 2 Dope using the word thereafter to refer to themselves and their friends, family and fans, including other Psychopathic Records artists. The fanbase boomed following the release of their third album, Riddle Box, in 1995, leading Insane Clown Posse to write the songs "What Is A Juggalo?" and "Down With The Clown" for their 1997 album The Great Milenko.

The "Juggla" being a corruption of "Juggler", fitting with the dark carnival theme they weave into their work. So it's a corruption of a corruption that became popular with the fanbase and ICP just rolled with it.

Holy shit, how did that even exist at one point?

Slavery. Alligator hides were worth more than black babies to white owners.

KingBroly

Banned
I don't even know where one would look to find a word like this. Like...I have never heard this word before and it baffles me.

Monocle

I don't even know where one would look to find a word like this.
The first time I heard the word "jiggaboo" was when I found some casually racist preteen Call of Duty player on Youtube.

He was actually kind of entertaining until he started dropping racial epithets for no reason.

Isn't Jigaboo name for fans of those "how do magnets work" clowns? Insane clown posse band? Either way bad name, what where they thinking? >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom