• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Texas teacher nicknames class her ‘jighaboos’

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't know what this meant before entering this thread, but of course it's slang for black people again. Because of course it is.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
She should have waited for Trump to make America great again before doing this.

BajiBoxer

Banned
I think I've used that word before never knowing it's origin/meaning.

*Gulp*

I probably did as a child. I've heard the word before, but I think I just thought it was a silly nonsense name you could call a kid who danced crazy (like jiggling all over) or a silly creature (like jinjos from Banjo Kazooie). I have no idea where the word originally entered my vocabulary though.

PSqueak

Banned
Entered thread assuming it was a made up word spawned from memetic mutation of "Weaboo", never expected to be more disappointed by the truth.

Oh yeah. She fucked up big time. I'm kind of surprised a lot of gaffers haven't heard of jiggaboo before. Though I can understand since I'm sure a bunch, if not the majority of you guys aren't from the US

I think I've used that word before never knowing it's origin/meaning.

*Gulp*
I remember the "Jigga what? Jigga who?" thing being popular back in the day (15 years ago maybe?) I don't even know what it was a reference from, I never bothered looking into it back then. Since I haven't heard it being used in like at least 10+ years, I still haven't looked into it and really don't feel like wasting the time.

Tbh I thought this was going to be about juggalos. Never heard about jiggaboos as a slur.

I can almost believe it's accidental, that's a deep cut racism wise, and it does sound like a nonsense word. Still, it's the south, so...

CrazyDude

Oh yeah. She fucked up big time. I'm kind of surprised a lot of gaffers haven't heard of jiggaboo before. Though I can understand since I'm sure a bunch, if not the majority of you guys aren't from the US

Never heard of it before and I am from the U.S. Maybe it's a regional thing? When I saw it here I thought it had something to do with juggalos.

Truly the most imitated yet hated race!

GOAT!

Pretty much.

I remember the "Jigga what? Jigga who?" thing being popular back in the day (15 years ago maybe?) I don't even know what it was a reference from, I never bothered looking into it back then. Since I haven't heard it being used in like at least 10+ years, I still haven't looked into it and really don't feel like wasting the time.

Jigga is an alias for Jay-Z. The Jigga What? Jigga who? is the clean version of Nigga What? Nigga Who while also invoking his alias. it has nothing to do with Jiggaboos.

...taking the word back?

No seriously. What? Even if you were an ignorant bigot you, presumably, have some sort of higher education to be a teacher right? Are things different in Texas? You know, besides the obvious? What situation could have facilitated the thought of this being an appropriate idea.

Besides what obvious? Where are you from?

Koomaster

First time I saw this thread title, thought she called them Juggalos. I was thinking, well that's dumb whatever. Now I read the thread title again and am amazed at how I forgot this was a slur. I haven't heard it in so long I forgot it even existed.

Kinda curious how old the teacher is. I could almost see her not knowing what it meant, especially if she heard it and a student told her it meant something more innocent. Overall, not a good look, I'd probably research it before taking the word of a student or something.

besada

Banned
Near Dallas? Not a shock at all.
Closer to Fort Worth. HEB are the three cities that sit between Dallas and Fort Worth, strung along 183. I drive past the school all the time. It's a lower middle to upper middle class neighborhood, with a mix of black, white, and hispanic students, mostly. The wealthier folks live north of the freeway, the less wealthy south.

From South Texas myself. I had never knew that was a racist term, in fact I don't even remember ever hearing the word. It's certainly not common in South Texas and the bigger cities.

That being said, there are usually clear signs a teacher can pick up on from students if they are intentionally picking an offensive name for fun. As a teacher, you should always research any slang or terms you don't know either if being used in any sort of capacity at work.

I gotta wonder why some of these people become teachers.

It's not like the pay is good or anything. So why do it if you're obviously incapable of teaching all kids equally?

Shits fucked. Teachers have a profound impact on kids lives.

Raonak

Banned
I sometimes call my mates jigaboos, although i'm not from US, and i'm a minority myself.
Didn't know it had any racial connotation.

Still, I think it's a pretty goofy word, it's too good not to use.
we should take it back, cause I can't imagine anyone seriously throwing it around as an insult in this day and age.

I can't believe there are kids in this thread that don't know that word.

How long do you think it will take before there is a generation that doesn't know the word Nigger anymore either?

kirblar

Absent meaning, the word does sound like a random fantasy creature. I only know about it thanks to a random discussion about old-timey slurs that popped up on a car ride.

KingV

I sometimes call my mates jigaboos, although i'm not from US, and i'm a minority myself.
Didn't know it had any racial connotation.

Still, I think it's a pretty goofy word, it's too good not to use.
we should take it back, cause I can't imagine anyone seriously throwing it around as an insult in this day and age.

You should use the not-racist version Jig-HA-boo.

JIG-ah-boo is a pejorative expression against black people whereas jig-HA-boo just is an expression for happy-go-lucky kids that love to learn and be super friends.

/s (obviously)

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
My dad used to call the cursor on our Apple IIe word processing program "the jigaboo." I had no idea what it meant until years later, and I still don't quite know why he applied a racial slur to a blinking white rectangle.

.JayZii

Banned
I can't believe there are kids in this thread that don't know that word.

How long do you think it will take before there is a generation that doesn't know the word Nigger anymore either?
Well, one is used in pop music and film constantly, and the other barely used anywhere outside of the deep south or Trump rallies. So the former is definitely going to take a while longer to disappear.

kirblar

I had never heard of the slur in Clerks 2 before seeing the movie. If you're not around people using the term as a slur, you won't have any context for it.

Jzero

HoCQ1V7.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom