• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Texas teacher nicknames class her ‘jighaboos’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/09/tex...-claims-she-didnt-know-word-is-a-racial-slur/

Other classes were given less insulting nicknames, the father said, and one class was given the flattering “Dream Team” moniker.

“You put Dream Team, and then you have the Jighaboos,” the father said. “Really? Really with that? That’s — that’s unacceptable.”

The comparative racial mix for each class wasn’t clear from reports, but the most recent U.S. Census found Bedford is about 81 percent white, 13 percent Hispanic and 7 percent black.

Officials from Hurst-Euless-Bedford Independent School District said they had apologized to the father who photographed the sign, which they agreed was not appropriate for school use.

Felt it was inappropriate but no one said anything until now

Squalor

A Texas teacher claims she had no idea she’d chosen a misspelled racial slur to nickname one of her racially mixed classes.
Yeah, she thought she had spelled it correctly.
It never ceases to amaze me how dumb teachers can be.
Why? They're just people. And a teaching certificate to instruct children isn't the most intellectually challenging thing to acquire.

Idiots graduate college all the time. After that, all one needs is a certificate, which isn't even education intensive.

Breads

Banned
...taking the word back?

No seriously. What? Even if you were an ignorant bigot you, presumably, have some sort of higher education to be a teacher right? Are things different in Texas? You know, besides the obvious? What situation could have facilitated the thought of this being an appropriate idea.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
My friend and I used to joke around that if someone called us a jiggaboo or porch monkey we would have to contain our laughter before we could act offended. Like who even says those anymore?

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
It's spelled differently than the one I know, but still... how did nobody say anything any step of the way here?

Jarmel

Banned
So she uses defined words and terms such as Dream Team to describe one class and the other class she just happens to make up a word that sounds like a black slur out of all the possible combinations? I'm sure it was just an unfortunate accident.

While not a good decision, I do wonder if the name was teacher-chosen or student-chosen. I teach a lot of minority students, and they often want to name themselves things like this because they think pseudo-racism towards themselves is hilarious (part of taking ownership of a thing rather than being a victim). I always have them choose something more school-appropriate, of course. Students deal with these things in different ways.

BigDes

So she uses defined words and terms such as Dream Team to describe one class and the other class she just happens to make up a word that sounds like a black slur out of all the possible combinations? I'm sure it was just an unfortunate accident.

I wonder what the racial breakdown of those classes are

I really really super wonder

Well that was inappropriate but depending on their age I really wouldn't be surprised if they legitimately didn't know what that word meant.

Why? They're just people. And a teaching certificate to instruct children isn't the most intellectually challenging thing to acquire.

Idiots graduate college all the time. After that, all one needs is a certificate, which isn't even education intensive.

No I totally get that. I guess i just mean as a kid I always thought teachers were like the smartest people ever, and like you said, turns out they can be real morons.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Well that was inappropriate but depending on their age I really wouldn't be surprised if they legitimately didn't know what that word meant.

That's what I'm thinking. I could see a younger teacher having no idea what this is. Jiggaboo isn't even something that's used in pop culture like nigga or coon. She might have been trying to come up with something silly and just fucked up.

We had to explain "The Coon" from South Park to two of my friends because they weren't familiar with that term. They thought it was just being played 100℅ straight.

Slayven

I SWEAR there was a recent-ish thread about someone who called someone else a jiggaboo and then said he/she was just putting random syllables together as a defense

It is amazing how it is only minority slurs that springs into creation like that. Never see shit like Mrs.Stevens "Awesome Ofays"

Palmer_v1

This is one of those words that I know is a slur, but I have no fucking idea how or why it came to be.

I've only ever heard it used in a joking manner, as a substitute for nigga, i.e. "Jigga, what!?", typically by an ignorant white boy who doesn't realize it's just as unacceptable as nigga.

kswiston

When I was younger and still a student, I thought I would eventually reach an education level where the idiots are weeded out. That never happens. There are people with PhDs and MDs who, despite their ability to study effectively and complete the requirements of their discipline, still say the stupidest shit you have ever heard. Hell, some of them are on TV saying stupid shit for a living.

kswiston

Looking at the town demographics, I wonder if she used McDuffie's rule of 3 to come to conclusion that her class was a black class.

Mupod

Before that thread a while ago I always thought it was a word my uncle made up. Doesn't surprise me knowing him though.

Izuna

Banned
I read the title as Jaggo for some reason...

Jaggos02.jpg~c200

--

only place I have heard jigaboo is in a Kdot song.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom