• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"One, two, three, N*****"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strike

05qDQ.gif

Kyon

Banned
That makes more sense. "Nigga" can be another word for dude, guy, etc. "Let's go my niggas!" make sense, but "one, two, three, dude!" doesn't.
Omg just stop plz. I always hear this same bs excuse with people who use "fag" and "gay" in like every sentence. There are soooooo many other words you guys can use to describe things/call people.

Acerac

Banned
Dat buffalo news. First I hear about the young gay guy committing suicide because of it and now I hear about this.

I am so proud of my home town. -_-

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That makes more sense. "Nigga" can be another word for dude, guy, etc. "Let's go my niggas!" make sense, but "one, two, three, dude!" doesn't.

If that argument made sense, white people could say that word, which they can't.

ShdwDrake

Banned
Fuck anyone who ever said this. Word matters. Word can hurt. Until you've been in the shoes of those who's been discriminated and ridiculed because you are different, don't even try to tell me that "it's just a word".

White people can call me the n word all they want. It's all about the context. And yeah I've grown up with it being a racial slur but also with like being saying wasup.

Its like when these random mofos jumped on my bro cuz he called me a faggot. For one they where straight. For Two my brother is gay. For three he was just messing with me.

If that argument made sense, white people could say that word, which they can't.
They can if used in a friendly context like a synonym for buddy, pal, or bro.
In this case it looks like a bunch of white girls were being racist in private and when a black girl came on the team and didn't know what the fuck was going on.

African americans use the term much too positively and openly for anyone to think otherwise. I'm a black man and NEVER say it, simply because I know what it means and context only goes so far in public. I correct anyone who calls me that, especially a black person. The word does have a meaning, and the meaning does not fit me. It's a product carried by the people who say it's disrespectful. I know everyone isn't like that, but a lot of us are.

It's pretty sad.

rCIZZLE

African americans use the term much too positively and openly for anyone to think otherwise. I'm a black man and NEVER say it, simply because I know what it means and context only goes do far in public. I correct anyone who calls me that, especially a black person. The word does have a meaning, and the meaning does not fit me. It's a product carried by the people who say it's disrespectful. I know everyone isn't like that, but a lot of us are.

It's pretty sad.

I very much agree with this but still these kids are WAY over the line.

If this type of language were no longer acceptable in any avenue of society, such as that in mainstream music or specifically within black communities, would it lessen its use overall in our society? Would it actually make a difference

Alucrid

Banned
If this type of language were no longer acceptable in any avenue of society, such as that in mainstream music or specifically within black communities, would it lessen its use overall in our society? Would it actually make a difference

Perhaps. It won't do anything to sway a card carrying KKK member, but perhaps it might do something with dumb fucking idiots like this situation. Then again, everyone knows that this is an offensive term you don't say and that's only common sense so....maybe not.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
It's really interesting, where I work a lot of the young Hispanic guys call each other nigga all the time, and always drop it when they're talking about stuff. When I first heard them I kinda did a double take.

Ducarmel

It's really interesting, where I work a lot of the young Hispanic guys call each other nigga all the time, and always drop it when they're talking about stuff. When I first heard them I kinda did a double take.

Almost every demographic use it especially in the city, freaking hilarious and sad when I saw a bunch of Russian thug wannbe teens using it.

As for the team how did this even start to be a chant. I know they say the coaching staff were unaware but I call bull on that, they must have had to know.

Why? Why? I can't the fathom a reason why they choose that word over anything else? Even if there's racial context behind it, it still doesn't make sense. This blows my mind. It's like those people who say, "I'm not racist, but..."

Replicant

Omg just stop plz. I always hear this same bs excuse with people who use "fag" and "gay" in like every sentence. There are soooooo many other words you guys can use to describe things/call people.

But, but you're telling them that they need to make an effort to find other words to describe what they want to say like "weak", for example. That's just too difficult! And not as cool! Instead of them doing that, why don't you develop thicker skin? See below:

It is just a word. I've been called everything under the sun for being asian when I went to basically an all white school. I just shrugged it off and viewed the people using it as ignorant. To me it no less different than dropping the f-bomb, just meh. I suppose I would feel different if I was black, but I was subject to discrimination. In that regard, I suppose my view is skewed since I have thick skin, and don't really care. My point...people let words get to them too easily.
White people can call me the n word all they want. It's all about the context. And yeah I've grown up with it being a racial slur but also with like being saying wasup.

Its like when these random mofos jumped on my bro cuz he called me a faggot. For one they where straight. For Two my brother is gay. For three he was just messing with me.

Eh, just because you two are okay with it, it doesn't mean other people are okay with it. Look at many of the responses here. And they are not obligated to feel okay with it or "grow thicker skin" if they don't feel like it. Also, the extent in which one has experienced being insulted with the word influence whether or not someone is okay with it.

exfixate

This makes absolutely no sense.

At least the one time my baseball team made seemingly racial slurs toward another team, they made sense.

SmokyDave

Why? Why? I can't the fathom a reason why they choose that word over anything else? Even if there's racial context behind it, it still doesn't make sense. This blows my mind. It's like those people who say, "I'm not racist, but..."

Taboo. The word has been given such ridiculous power that these idiots get giddy just saying it.

Xilium

African americans use the term much too positively and openly for anyone to think otherwise. I'm a black man and NEVER say it, simply because I know what it means and context only goes so far in public. I correct anyone who calls me that, especially a black person. The word does have a meaning, and the meaning does not fit me. It's a product carried by the people who say it's disrespectful. I know everyone isn't like that, but a lot of us are.

It's pretty sad.
Pretty much this. The double-standard surrounding the word isn't doing anybody any favors and just leads to unnecessary/pointless controversy. The word needs to be stricken from our (the black community's) vocabulary because I feel that our use of it gives it more power than it deserves.

Ignoring all of the racial tomfoolery that comes with it, that is seriously the worst chant ever. I could totally see kids in high school making up something that dumb.

Kids are dumb is what I'm trying to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom