• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luck - HBO show about horse racing - Canceled "due to horse safety problems"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ga5IJ.jpg

HBO is showing a sneak peek of the new series Luck this Sunday, December 11th at 10pm ET by airing the entire pilot after Boardwalk Empire's season finale. The show will begin its regularly scheduled airings on Sunday, January 29th. With David Milch, Michael Mann, Dustin Hoffman, Nick Nolte, Dennis Farina, and a slew of other talented people working on it, I figure the pilot is worth checking out. I don't have time to make a full-blown OT right now and HBO hasn't released a ton of info on the series yet, but here are some quick details for people that might be interested.

HBO said:
From acclaimed director Michael Mann and 'Deadwood' creator David Milch, 'Luck' takes a provocative look at the world of horse racing - the owners, gamblers, jockeys and diverse gaming industry players.  The cast stars Dustin Hoffman, Dennis Farina, John Ortiz, Richard Kind, Ian Hart, Kevin Dunn, Ritchie Coster, Jason Gedrick, Jill Hennessy, Tom Payne, Kerry Condon, Gary Stevens and Nick Nolte. The pilot is directed by Michael Mann and written by David Milch.
David Milch said:
The pilot is about a bunch of intersecting lives in the world of horse racing...It's a subject which has engaged and some might say has compelled me for 50 years. I find it as complicated and engaging a special world as any I've ever encountered, not only in what happens in the clubhouse and the grandstand, but also on the backside of the track, where the training is done and where they house the horses.

Youtube videos:
- Extended trailer
- "In Production" featurette
- Teaser trailer
- Teaser trailer
- Teaser trailer
- Teaser trailer

Links:
- HBO's Luck website
- Wikipedia

I will update this post as the official start date gets closer and HBO releases more information.

EDIT: Poster...

eEe21.jpg

Fully prepared to Occupy the HBO Store by Bryant Park if Mann did anything to choke even a single syllable of glorious and rich Milchness out of this project.

You're out of your league, dude. Let the big boys do what they're meant to.

BeeDog

Holy shit, didn't know it would air already. I'm MEGA-hyped for this project, and I fucking pray it turns out great. The attached competence is outstanding, so I feel my hype is pretty damn warranted. Hope it's not a disappointment!

I thought they were doing a 10-episode season, but I guess it's only 9. Here's a recent Variety blog post with some details:
TV scribes rejoice: All of 'Luck' arrives next week

HBO is spreading the word of its David Milch-Michael Mann horseracing series “Luck” in a big way.David-milch-michael-mann-lu

Pay cabler is sending out the entire nine-episode season to critics and TV writers next week, rather than the two- or three-episode advance that is usually the case, offered in hopes of whetting the appetite of scribes.

The full-season delivery is a rarity for HBO, which has done it only twice before: The fourth season of “The Wire” — known informally as the Corner Boys season — and for the World War II miniseries “The Pacific.”

HBO insiders are sending out “Luck” because they believe the series — about the inhabitants of racetrack life — has the potential will be one of the net’s great accomplishments.

Net, in reaching out to its audience beyond TV writers, will sneak the pilot of "Luck" this Sunday immediately following the season finale of "Boardwalk Empire." The show's regular run begins Jan. 29.

Series was created by David Milch, who is avid horseracing fan and has longed to bring his equine passion to TV. While the thought of bringing on Michael Mann to add the cinematic vision of the Sports of Kings sounded like a perfect accompaniment for Milch’s script, the two have often tangled and HBO execs have had their fair share of headaches intervening between the two. Yet, Milch said he and Mann have worked out their differences for the greater good.

“You get to a point where you realize that it’s a shame on you if you can’t make things work, and we did,” Milch said. “It was not an uneventful experience, but finally the responsibility has to be for the work.”

What HBO is also hoping with “Luck” is to erase the memory of “John From Cincinnati,” the surf noir series that always seemed an uneasy fit with Milch at the controls.

Milch, whose broadcast resume includes “Hill Street Blues” and “NYPD Blue,” is best known these days for his Western opus “Deadwood,” which after three seasons was cut too soon in order to make room for “John” — a decision that everyone involved likely deeply regrets.John-ortiz-photo

What “Deadwood” did for Ian McShane, Timothy Olyphant and Paula Malcomson, “Luck” could possibly do for little-known actor John Ortiz, who is phenomenal playing a Latin American trainer, partially based on real-life trainer Julio Canani.

What it also possibly may do is make a TV star out of Dustin Hoffman, a bigscreen giant for decades. Hoffman's character is a bit mysterious in the pilot, but he's clearly an individual with great power and is coming out of a prison term and looking to get back in the game.

Milch, who is preparing for another season of “Luck” — HBO hasn’t yet greenlit a second season, but it’s extremely likely and production needs an early start due to shooting at Santa Anita — and is looking forward to telling more stories.

As track announcer Trevor Denman says several times each race day at post time, “And away they go.”

I have a lot of faith in this, but I recall reading that Mann and Milch did not get along whatsoever and one had to be barred from being on the set.

I thought they were doing a 10-episode season, but I guess it's only 9. Here's a recent Variety blog post with some details:

Yeah, I saw a story about this a month or two back. Imagine the fights that must have gone on between Mann and Milch with their massive egos.

I have a lot of faith in this, but I recall reading that Mann and Milch did not get along whatsoever and one had to be barred from being on the set.

Yeah, Mann kicked Milch out. They say they've found a way to make things work, but who knows.

Don't forget Hoffman - I didn't read anything about problems with him, but that's three HUGE egos on set.

Very true. It would be hard to believe that he didn't come into conflict with Mann and/or Milch at some point. A blu-ray/DVD audio commentary with all of them in the same room would be awesome.

I'm pumped to watch this on Sunday. Boardwalk is mediocre at best, so I hope Luck far exceeds it.

lol this dude. Still I agree with him on other shows but you're so off on this one man.

Anyways with that out of the way...

SHOW OF THE YEAR! SHOW OF THE YEAR! SHOW OF THE YEAR!

seriously. The talent on board in that title is just fucking ridiculous. I know Berdman's got some problems with Mann but personally I think it was the smartest decision ever to give Mann complete directorial control and Milch writing. Best of both worlds imo.

We all know Hoffman is a great actor but Nolte is seriously underrated. Can't wait to see him shine in this one. And Jon Ortiz, who thankfully is getting buzz from this, was so good as the jealous dude in Miami Vice.

I'm a huge Mann fanboy and love Deadwood, so my expectation right now is (better than Mad Men and Breaking Bad...possibly Sopranos/Wire tier). Yeah I know, so high I'm bound to get disappointed but I don't care.

Timbuktu

Fingers crossed on this one, but i am slightly disappointed with HBO's new shows. Games of Thrones, Boardwalk, Mildred Pierce all have huge names/brands and big budget, and in theory they should be the best shows ever. But they don't few fresh like Sopranos or The Wire did. Those shows didn't have huge names when they started, just really good ideas and the balls to do things differently.

Good to see HBO having faith in this though, here's hope it is as good as Wire S4.

Game of Thrones have some pretty lame showrunners (the writers of...Troy), but I'm sure it will get better.

Boardwalk Empire should have been great considering the talent, but it's first season was just alright. I think it's improved a lot in season 2 though. I was never bored in the first season, but this one is definitely more snappier.

Wray

Subscribed.

Also, Game of Thrones and Boardwalk Empire are both amazing. Not sure what some of you guys are smoking.

Game of Thrones have some pretty lame showrunners (the writers of...Troy), but I'm sure it will get better.

Boardwalk Empire should have been great considering the talent, but it's first season was just alright. I think it's improved a lot in season 2 though. I was never bored in the first season, but this one is definitely more snappier.

Definitely. Even I'll admit that Boardwalk's second season is light years ahead of the first season

Sneak peek is on tonight.
Pilot

Ace Bernstein is released from prison after three years; four racetrack junkies make a bet that could be worth millions.
As this is a sneak peek this evening, please spoiler tag any discussion of major plot points. I figure it's best if we ensure the thread is safe for anyone that wants to pick the series up starting in January.

Meier

Ooh thanks for the heads up on the preview! I am super far behind on Boardwalk Empire mostly due to watching the Showtime block every Sunday so I didn't see anything about this. Will DVR.

Ricky_R

Boardwalk with only 2 seasons in, GoT with only one, Treme with only 2, Luck will premier soon, Aron Sorkin's Newsroom show is official, American Gods based on Neil Gaiman's novel is currently in development and the rumour that Dark Tower will be made into a series on HBO.... I mean are these guys awesome of what?

Seriously, I'm in love with this network.

Boardwalk with only 2 seasons in, GoT with only one, Treme with only 2, Luck will premier soon, Aron Sorkin's Newsroom show is official, American Gods based on Neil Gaiman's novel is currently in development and the rumour that Dark Tower will be made into a series on HBO.... I mean are these guys awesome of what?

Seriously, I'm in love with this network.

I just hope they don't overdo it again and start cancelling everything.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
I just hope they don't overdo it again and start cancelling everything.

Ricky_R said:
Yeah tell me about it!!!

I was only devastated by Rome's cancellation as I wasn't that much into Deadwood and Carnivale, but they were all great quality shows.

I hope they are managing those budgets well.

If they cancel Enlightened...:(

I can understand why they're sending out the entire season to the press, this is the kind of show that takes a while to settle into. It's beautifully shot though, and I like the dialogue so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom