• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luck - HBO show about horse racing - Canceled "due to horse safety problems"

Status
Not open for further replies.
show to beat this year i think

Absolutely for me. I know it's a one season show (haha) but I'm actually gonna buy the BluRay for this. Really enjoyed it a lot.

A few thoughts:
- LOVED the distraction argument between Gus and Ace. I'm really gonna miss those two the most. The dynamic between Dennis Farina and Dustin Hoffman was imo even better than Dan and Al Swearengen. Maybe because I just like Dennis Farina a lot more than the actor who played Dority.

- omg that dealer-girl who Jerry was messing with is TOO NICE. so fine.

- Jon Ortiz probably gave my favorite performance over the whole season. I liked him a lot in Miami Vice too.

A shame this got cancelled. Nice tying mostly everything up though.

I'd like to see Mann "get medieval" and make the Agincourt movie.

so many rumored projects in the pipeline for Mann. This would be interesting though...kinda I guess. I just hope it's not Ridley Scott-esque. I'm kinda burnt out on those kinds of films.

Solo

Wow. What a fucking incredible finale. That final scene with the four degenerate gamblers encapsulates the entire series for me and why its such a goddamn shame that HBO cancelled it. Just four guys shooting the shit in an incredibly real scene, like having a few beers with your friends. I had a big smile on my face the whole scene ("did anyone order fish? Oh, hey Jerry!"). The scene in the restaurant with Ace and Gus was immaculately conceived and executed. The way Gus tipped off Ace ("you remember that time in Chicago?"), the way Ace set the plan in motion (by faking a phone call to Gus and feeding him instructions), and the way Gus took out the hitter was one of the most incredibly tense and awesome scenes in recent memory. One gets the feeling that Gus was something of a scary motherfucker back in his prime and that this wasn't the first time he'd done something like that. The second horse race in this one was absolutely incredible. The way it was shot, edited and scored really made it something special and made it stand above the rest. I'd love to rave on about this for hours, but in brief: best new show of the year and HBO are fucking dumbshits for cancelling it.

Jonm1010

Banned
Yeah reflecting on it, even though milch is my favorite writer in film or tv, I never expected this show to reach the peaks that it did.

I'll have to revisit it when it hits DVD but right now it is up there in the echelon of great series for me. Which is small company on my list.

The fact this show managed to do that in one season is quite a feat. Its sad because this show had the potential to really be an awards powerhouse for HBO for years to come. One really can't imagine how Mann, Milch, Hoffman, Nolte and several of the other supporting actors wouldn't end up getting multiple nominations throughout this series' life.

What a finale. Likely the most spiritual experience I've encountered in a TV show. Those races were incredible. Gus and Ace were super-compelling, and the network of people forming around the degenerate gamblers weren't far behind - I'm really going to miss watching them interact on screen. Honestly, I feel robbed. This was the beginning of something special. And, by itself, it was something special.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
What a finale. Likely the most spiritual experience I've encountered in a TV show. Those races were incredible. Gus and Ace were super-compelling, and the network of people forming around the degenerate gamblers weren't far behind - I'm really going to miss watching them interact on screen. Honestly, I feel robbed. This was the beginning of something special. And, by itself, it was something special.

Agreed. I thought that Renzo's mom in particular had a lot of potential.

What a fucking season of television. As much as I'm disappointed there won't be a second season we at least got 9 episodes of brilliance that will have people who stumble across it later wondering how they could have missed the show as it aired.

Grinchy

Banned
I didn't know until I was halfway through the show that it was canceled. I just finished the season today.

I'm not sure how I feel about it overall. I almost gave up on it at first, since I didn't care much about what was going on and I felt like it needed subtitles for a few of the actors (could barely understand a damn word that Escalante said). I ended up liking Ace and Gus a lot by the end, Gus especially. Mike was a formidable foe, but I have to admit that his performance wasn't always convincing. There were some scenes where he just looked like a feeble old guy instead of a powerful enemy.

It's a shame that they spent so much time building stuff up that will never pay off due to the cancellation. Also, I'm not opposed to a show that moves slowly, but this one moved too slowly. There were way too many scenes that were meant to build drama but just went on way too long. Most of them involved races. Oh, and they must have saved a lot of money on Nick Nolte's wardrobe.

Luck - Complete 1st Season - Nov. 27

HBO has announced that Luck - The Complete 1st Season (and the show's only season; it's already been canceled) is coming to DVD and Blu-ray Disc on November 27th. The 4-disc sets are priced at $59.99 SRP for the DVD, and $79.98 SRP for the Blu-ray version. Bonus material (if any) hasn't been announced yet, but here's a look at the packaging for both versions:

luck-s1-bluggk2t.jpg

Ceebs

I never finished the first season as I was kinda pissed that it got canceled.

Add it to the list of shows that I love that I have refused to watch the last episode of. Veronica Mars and Pushing Daisies are also members of this club. If I never watch the last one it is never truly over!

Milchjon

Add it to the list of shows that I love that I have refused to watch the last episode of. Veronica Mars and Pushing Daisies are also members of this club. If I never watch the last one it is never truly over!

Both are worth it, though.

Wow, didn't think they'd actually release it on disc. Shouldn't it be called the whole series, rather than the first season. :(

I'll probably get it. HBOs best recent show and it should look amazing on blu.

Satyamdas

Banned

Dude, you *have* to watch the Luck finale at the very least. It's one of the best hours of drama HBO has ever produced.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Damn this bump, I wanted S2 (and 3, and 4, and... ) soooo badly. A fantastic show. Sigh.

I'll probably buy the blu-ray set.

Day 1

EDIT: $80 for Blu-Ray? Thank God for Amazon

hopefully there'll be a sale when it comes out like with some of hbo's other stuff recently. Game of Thrones was the same msrp and it was like 35 dollars at amazon and Best Buy when it came out, i think it was the same with Boardwalk Empire. GoT Season 2 is already down to like 55 at Amazon, hopefully it'll drop some more too

there was no sale on Treme season 1 though, i don't think

Where the fuck is my Enlightened Blu ray, HBO? >:/

I'm STILL waiting for them to announce a Carnivale blu ray set. I've pretty much given up all hope it's ever gonna happen now. Show got removed from HBO Go and everything

Watched War Horse recently and all I could think the whole time was how much better the horses on Luck looked during the races. Watching horses run on film will never be the same.

R.I.P. Luck.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I guess HBO is maybe waiting closer to the January premiere of Enlightened to release the Bluray? Right?

I'm STILL waiting for them to announce a Carnivale blu ray set. I've pretty much given up all hope it's ever gonna happen now. Show got removed from HBO Go and everything

Sucks to be a Carnivale fan doesn't it? :/

Now that I think about it, I'm actually sort of surprised that HBO is even releasing Luck on Bluray at all.

Finished the show earlier tonight. Damn fine show. Seeing the horse races were a thing of beauty, not cause of the predictability of each outcome of the races but because how awesome it looked in slow motion. Really would have loved to see how things would eventually play between Ace and Mike. Out of all the performances, I think Nolte was the best.

As for the cancellation itself, it had to be done. Three horses dying was enough. More safety precautions could have been taken, but the risks were too much

RIP Luck

I saw that earlier and thought about reading it, but then I figured I like my memory of the series the way it is and didn't bother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom