• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luck - HBO show about horse racing - Canceled "due to horse safety problems"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
There's an inverse relationship between the amount of Paz de la Huerta screen time and the quality of the show. Therefore, season three will be even stronger.

mr stroke

Not butt hurt about the cancelation. This show wasn't that great. Slow and plodding, with a premise that was going no where. Out side of the great cast it had nothing to hook me into watching it every week. Glad HBO is dumping it, hopefully they put the money else where and fill the slot next year with something better(maybe the Aaron Sorkin newsroom show?)

Dan

Not butt hurt about the cancelation. This show wasn't that great. Slow and plodding, with a premise that was going no where. Out side of the great cast it had nothing to hook me into watching it every week. Glad HBO is dumping it, hopefully they put the money else where and fill the slot next year with something better(maybe the Aaron Sorkin newsroom show?)
The Newsroom premieres this summer.

that season is going to happen in your imagination?
I was talking about Boardwalk Empire...

Yeah I'm pretty butthurt about this cancellation. I enjoyed the season immensely. If Mad Men is like season 3 this year then that's honestly the only show that can give it a run for it's money this year for me.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Yeah, it's unfortunate that we won't get more of the show after these last two. At least most critics have noted that the finale is very good and there's some resolution for most of the plot lines.

Yeah, I'm glad it doesn't end on a cliff hanger or anything. (I'm assuming) Still though. *sigh* This was my favorite new show of the year so far... :(

Jonm1010

Banned
Incredible episode.

Such a depressing feeling knowing only one episode is left.

Gus is such a badass. I knew eventually we would see what makes Gus so valuable, and so respected, and the execution of it was flawless.

Good stuff tonight. Great work from Nolte tonight, though I was concerned he was going to have a heart attack or something. Loved that shot of Escalante on the couch and the kid on the floor towards the end.

PARADISE CIRCUS
I kept on waiting for Luther to show up.

Good stuff tonight. Great work from Nolte tonight, though I was concerned he was going to have a heart attack or something. Loved that shot of Escalante on the couch and the kid on the floor towards the end.

I kept on waiting for Luther to show up.

Yeah, this was a really solid episode. The use of Paradise Circus was strange to me, even though it's a really great song, because of the Luther connection.

This show just keeps getting better :/

Things are really heating up between Ace and Michael. I love how there's a palpable undercurrent of restrained menace underlying Ace and Gus's maneuvering. Ace seems to be one step ahead of everyone else. I expected his response Israel's death (thought I was going to be sick as weighted bags were being dropped into the ocean...) to be more violent, but Ace is moving deliberately. He's very smart.

I like how Geri Jewell's character seems to be panning out to be a recurring character. (It is Jewell, isn't it? Still no listing in the credits or on IMDb.) It's just one more thing I will miss about Luck.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
It was nice to get an episode that focused heavily on Ace and Gus. I just hope the series finale is more balanced in terms of characters on screen.

(thought I was going to be sick as weighted bags were being dropped into the ocean...)

That scene was stomach turning. Poor Israel. What a horrid way to go.

Figures the show is only getting better with every passing episode. :(

Oh well, I'll just think of it as a 9 part mini-series. Not like I haven't been here before (Firefly, Terriers, etc.)

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Maybe as a dvd special feature or something like that?

Maybe. If season 1 ends on a satisfying, conclusive note then I don't think I would watch the first episode of season 2. It would inevitably tease future plot lines and introduce new characters, which of course, would never go anywhere and I don't think I could take it. :mad:

Dan

Yeah, I don't think I'd want to see it.

I'm sure it'd be good, but as a viewer I think it'd be far more frustrating than it's worth.

Maybe as a dvd special feature or something like that?

I'm not sure if the episode is even anywhere near being actually completed, so I'm not sure why HBO would take the time and effort to put it on what is surely going to be a pretty poorly selling DVD set. I guess maybe they would to try and convince the diehard fans to buy a set.

Either way I doubt I'd watch it, and I've come to really enjoy this show over the course of the season.

I'm not sure if the episode is even anywhere near being actually completed, so I'm not sure why HBO would take the time and effort to put it on what is surely going to be a pretty poorly selling DVD set. I guess maybe they would to try and convince the diehard fans to buy a set.
Oh, I don't think they'll actually do it. I'm just saying that's the most likely form if they did release it. It's certainly not going to air. I'm kind of surprised that they said they'd release dvd's for the show.

Not surprised to hear they were taking great care of the horses on the set. Of course, anyone in their situation would say that, but I believe them. It stinks that shitty organizations like PETA will take any opportunity to lie and distort truth for a shot at good PR, but I think (hope?) most people know PETA's game.

I'm totally watching that second season episode if it's released, btw.

Well, they did release a DVD set of JfC.

EDIT:
David, this is your third HBO drama after Deadwood and John From Cincinnati to be canceled before its full arc could be played out. In at least two of those cases, Deadwood and Luck, there were external forces at play, apart from ratings or audience response. What, if anything does the gambler-philosopher in you make of all that?

Milch: Well … [Laughs.] Next hand!

Maybe you have to be able to let it roll of your back like that to work in television, but man... hats off to Milch for handling it so well.

EDIT 2: Damn HBO for making it so hard for those Deadwood movies to get made. I guess I'll put my hopes for that on the same shelf as Shenmue 3 :(

Solo

Busy week and just getting caught up now.... goddamnit, what an amazing show. This was the best episode yet, and the fact that the show is being killed before its time is a fucking brutal pill to swallow. Loved everything about this one. The Gus/Mike story line finally came to a head (RIP Israel; what a terrible death), I love Escalante's development (him talking to the kid about ET made me laugh heartily) and I especially enjoyed all the stuff with Nolte's Smith and his horse woes. The acting and writing is just sublime on this show, and I am greatly saddened by it only having one episode left.

I wish that the interviewer wouldn't have even asked about the Deadwood movies. The answer kills me because Milch has apparently been talking with HBO, and they've gotten "close", but we're still left with nothing.

Series finale tonight:

cryingasianman.gif

GONE.TOO.SOON.

PETA >:-|

Timbuktu

Would have preferred if they just went for a mini-series. It was good but not in the way that i absolutely needed multiple seasons of it. Didn't care much for the Ace plot for the racetrack or much of the plot for that matter. could have just been about the three great horses and the people around them and it would have been enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom