• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo releases fix for Zelda Skyward Sword bug via channel patch

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://andriasang.com/comzfs/zelda_restore_channel/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Nintendo said last week that it would be providing Skyward Sword players with a downloadable program for fixing their save file in case they'd encountered a particular bug that rendered it impossible to progress further in the game. The program became available for download today in the form of the "Zelda Data Restoration Channel."

Yes, it's a full Channel! All you have to do is download the channel from the Wii Channel section of the Wii Shopping Channel, boot the channel up, and follow the instructions.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/souj/info/index.html

Gguic.jpg

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Didn't someone predict this would happen in the last thread? Well done to them, extra sausage for tea tonight.

Oh yeah, talk about awkward implementation...

Mikey Jr.

Awesome.

Let me just plug in my ethernet cord.....................................................

FyreWulff

A full channel. That's awesome.

Dear Nintendo,

Don't ever change.

So basically bitch that they don't fix something with a patch, and bitch when they DO fix something.

Sounds like this was faster than rolling an update into a Wii update. The only amusing thing about this is that would mean both the save files that the dashboard would edit upon load would be Zelda saves, heh

FyreWulff

I'm willing to bet that they examined it and realized that they just didn't have the infrastructure for something more elegant. However this should hopefully teach them a lesson for WiiU

Patching was added post-launch to the Xbox as well. Third parties apparently just never asked Nintendo enough for them to set up the infrastructure to do it.

They more than likely will have a standard structure in place for the Wii U. They've already issues patches for GBA games before, it's not a new concept for Nintendo.

-KRS-

Odd way of doing it but on the other hand there probably was no easier way to fix a bug in a game like this on Wii, so whatever. At least they did something.

Any chance they'll patch in quicker text speeds, only introducing items once, etc. as an option?

I really like the game, but the urge to replay it is lessened when I recall Fi's existence.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
They more than likely will have a standard structure in place for the Wii U. They've already issues patches for GBA games before, it's not a new concept for Nintendo.

Those aren't patches. Being able to take down a download and replace it with a full size other download and have someone go back into the store, manually check the item, and say "Oh, look, I can redownload the whole thing" is not a patching system.

Here's the bare minimum for a patch system being written from scratch in 2012:
- All new downloads contain the newest version, no patches required. (True for Steam, not for XB/PSN)
- Patches are per-file diffs, TRC/TCR/LotCheck requirements prevent giant unpatchable pakfiles. (True for Steam as of recently, true for XB, not sure if it's true for PSN or not)
- All games check for patches on boot. (True for Steam, XB, PSN) Ideally they download them unobtrusively. (True for Steam, not for XB/PSN)
- Installed games automatically download patches in the background. (True for Steam, not for XB. Sort of true for PSN+ but... not really)
- Devs can submit patches frequently and for free (True for Steam, not for XB/PSN)
- Patches are cached on storage devices and not expired (True for all three)

Kazerei

Banned
1. Get an ethernet cord.
2. Try to plug it into the wii.
3. ???
4. Profit.

Now if I want to patch Zelda, I have to go out and buy some dongle thing.

Upgrade to wireless FTW

It's kind of funny that you're complaining about Nintendo doing something more modern

FyreWulff

Ethernet port.

How much would it cost to put one in? 18 cents?

More than that. And that's without the controller chipset to make it work.

Those aren't patches. Being able to take down a download and replace it with a full size other download and have someone go back into the store, manually check the item, and say "Oh, look, I can redownload the whole thing" is not a patching system.

I'm not talking about the Virtual Console...

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Any chance they'll patch in quicker text speeds, only introducing items once, etc. as an option?

I really like the game, but the urge to replay it is lessened when I recall Fi's existence.

Not a chance. However if you have Homebrew there are extremely easy hacks (just numeric codes) that do all of that and more.

While Wifi is a great thing for Wii, some game need wired for better online play.
Of course in this case, all you need is an update, so wifi is good.

Luigiv

A full channel. That's awesome.

Dear Nintendo,

Don't ever change.

It's not really like that had any choice here. The Wii doesn't support system wide patching, so if the patching framework isn't built into the game, this is the best they could possibly do.

ASIS

I love this way. It's like a straight "haters gonna hate" approach.

Oh well, better than nothing I suppose? But is really the only way to patch a game on the Wii? WOW.

LOCK

This is good news. I've been playing the game slowly but once you get sucked into the game you kind of forget about this glitch.

FyreWulff

What are you talking about then? There haven't been any actual patches on my 3DS.

I figured you would have remembered that Nintendo patched one of the GBA Pokemon games. It's a lone case, and probably only possible because Pokemon was rigged up to be patchable, but:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Berry_glitch

There was a bug where the in game clock would stop counting with really long saves. There was a crapton of things that would patch the game if you pressed a special button combination and then linked the game to it. Or you could send the cart into Nintendo and they'd patch it for you.

Re: 3DS, there's an option in the Configuration screen to manage Game Updates. So they've rigged up something there. They still have room to do better than Microsoft though on Wii U, if they really push for it.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I figured you would have remembered that Nintendo patched one of the GBA Pokemon games. It's a lone case, and probably only possible because Pokemon was rigged up to be patchable, but:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Berry_glitch

There was a bug where the in game clock would stop counting with really long saves. There was a crapton of things that would patch the game if you pressed a special button combination and then linked the game to it. Or you could send the cart into Nintendo and they'd patch it for you.

Top Bottom