• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Kepler - Geforce GTX680 Thread - Now with reviews

artist

Banned
geforce-gtx-680-style2-1000x580.png

Guru3D Benches:

Guru3D Benches

bjCDZ.png
8spzE.png

2xnQu.png
ZyuQE.png

5UQID.png
k4iym.png

0pUg6.png
AWh9a.png

OUwMD.png
oty13.png

nmflD.png

htlFF.png
8j1uV.png

bZks7.png
qYo2Q.png

Fkmm0.png

TweakTown Review:

·feist·;36248820 said:
18-page review, but it's TweakTown...

If there won't be a dedicated review thread, these should all be added to the OP, and perhaps, a mod edit to the title for model clarification.

NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 680 (Kepler) 2GB Reference Card Video Card Review
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/46...b_reference_card_video_card_review/index.html

PC Per Benches:

·feist·;36248927 said:
PC Perspective/PCPer.Com

bf3-1920-bar_0xhkbo.jpg
bf3-1920_0pgke3.jpg

bf3-2560-bar_0wujg9.jpg
bf3-2560_0xmjma.jpg

skyrim-1920-bar_0fdj0q.jpg
skyrim-1920_0gcj05.jpg

skyrim-2560-bar_0ttjds.jpg
skyrim-2560_0cfknt.jpg

bac-1920-bar_01kjcr.jpg
bac-1920_0jlj8d.jpg

bac-2560-bar_0iqk9x.jpg
bac-2560_06kjz3.jpg

Mod Edit - Tom's Hardware benchmarks out now:
Tom's Hardware review just leaked .. hang on.

GAME BENCHMARKS

skyrim1680ffknc.png
skyrim1920ynkxh.png

skyrim2560vjjqw.png
wow168089ju4.png

wow19201qjgq.png
wow25606mkd3.png

crysis22560zdk6y.png
dirt316808okfj.png

dirt31920jkkos.png
dirt3256042k15.png

metro192022kza.png
metro20333jjsp.png

metro2560ynjdf.png
battlefield316800kj9n.png

battlefield31920likad.png
battlefield32560fkjcl.png

crysis216803ajgi.png
crysis21920a2kta.png

3-c-330600-3r3k3q.png
3-c-330600-3r3k3q.png

3-d-330601-3g9kt0.png
3-e-330602-389k21.png

8-o-330792-3prkoq.png

SYNTHETIC BENCHMARKS

2-y-330586-395k88.png
2-z-330587-3qrjhy.png

3-1-330589-31kkbd.png
3-2-330590-3dqkur.png

sandrabandwidthqfjyj.png
sandracryptography0wjqg.png

sandragpgpunmk5u.png
3-l-330609-3tqk9q.png

3-m-330610-3e7j4w.png
3-n-330611-3efj2c.png

POWER CONSUMPTION / NOISE / HEAT

8-l-330789-3jxjdm.png
8-i-330786-3t1kbe.png

3-f-330603-3knkmt.png
3-h-330605-33gki8.png

8-j-330787-363j2o.png
3-i-330606-32hk68.png

8-p-330793-33xkeq.png

8-h-330785-3q9jd3.png
3-g-330604-3zck3t.png

8-e-330782-3ngjoe.png

And this coming from the biggest
Nvidia-hater
, so things must be really promising.

Nvidia Kepler vs AMD GCN has a clear winner
Guess who wins this round?

by
Charlie Demerjian

A lot of people have been asking about Kepler/GK104, and we finally have some hard information. Unfortunately, we can’t post it or certain classes of moles go extinct, but there are some things we can say.

The short story is that Nvidia will win this round on just about every metric, some more than others. Look for late March or early April availability, with volumes being the major concern at first. GK104 cards seen by
SemiAccurate
all look very polished and complete
, far from rough prototypes or “Puppies“. A2 silicon is now back from TSMC, and that will likely be the production stepping barring any last second hitches. Currently, there aren’t any.

For the doubters, both of the current cards we saw have two DVI plugs on the bottom, one HDMI, and one DP with a half slot cooling grate on one of the two slot end plates. The chip is quite small, and has 8 GDDR5 chips meaning a 256-bit bus/2GB standard, and several other features we can’t talk about yet due to differences between the cards seen. These items won’t change the outcome though, Nvidia wins, handily.
S|A

Source

Looks like the 7970 owners are just about to get a buyers remorse. :p

sk3tch

Can't wait. I hope it does beat the 7970. I'll sell my 7970 and get the best card. Easy.

I don't know why everyone is so scared to buy when you can pretty much buy/resell your cards and not lose too much these days. Just get what you want and if you have regrets you'll get at least 80% of the original purchase price back!

Cheech

People buying $500 video cards aren't likely to feel buyers' remorse over much, unless it's a yacht. Hah.

I'm glad to hear this. I want to give nVidia a spin for my next upgrade, ATi's driver issues have been horrendous lately.

I've been waiting for Nvidia to be top dog again so I can jump ship from my Radeon 5770. It's been a faithful card, but the drivers are way too buggy. I've had tons of problems with HDMI audio, and the mouse cursor getting huge (though that was fixed about a year ago).

iNvid02

why do people buy top end amd cards over nvidia ones?

im genuinely interested, because from what i've seen nvidia has better drivers resulting
in better performance, better antialiasing support and compatability with numerous profiles,
and they seem to outperform the amd cards whilst costing around the same.

RickA238

Glad I decided to hold out for the new nVidias. Looks like it will be time to upgrade from my 460 this spring. Fuck the shitty AMD drivers.

RickA238

im genuinely interested, because from what i've seen nvidia has better drivers resulting
in better performance, better antialiasing support and compatability with numerous profiles,

Because some are brand loyalists, and some just want the newest/fastest card out at a certain price point, like what has happened with the 6970 recently.

So with these kinds of things - will we get a 570 equivalent at launch? Or will it only be the absolute high end 580 equivalent?

Because I'd be more in the market for a 570 or 560 Ti type card in terms of price/performance.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America

For one, I can get a 7970 now :D

I've had both nvida and AMD cards, I have no loyalty. I've gone with AMD with my last 2 cards for two reasons. Price and the cards ran cooler than the nvidia counterpart at the time. If Kepler were out now and better than the 7970 I would buy it in a heartbeat.

PS isnt this a replacement for the 460/560 line? Any word on the real shit? the g107.

So with these kinds of things - will we get a 570 equivalent at launch? Or will it only be the absolute high end 580 equivalent?

Because I'd be more in the market for a 570 or 560 Ti type card in terms of price/performance.

Pretty sure it will be top middle low, like always. Prob only a few months diff though.

I always go one step below the top end AMD because they hit a very nice cost/performance sweet spot for me.
Been that way since the 48xx series cards.
I haven't had a problem with AMD cards or drivers in *years*

Was about to buy a 7970 (once custom boards are released early next month), but man, now I might have to wait. Nvidia always has better drivers, hands down, so it's good to hear their cards are worth waiting for.

Derrick01

Banned

Honestly the game support issue gets me wondering why anyone bothers with AMD at all anymore. Even if the cards are slightly better, what's the point if none of the games work on release?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Why spoiler the OT? And come one now, let's see some more legit benches. I have no doubt nvidia will have another great GPU but let's see something first and not hyperbolic comments.

Honestly the game support issue gets me wondering why anyone bothers with AMD at all anymore. Even if the cards are slightly better, what's the point if none of the games work on release?

Terrible exaggeration. I'm not going to argue this but it's reaching there. I've had 2 nvidia and 2 ATI cards. None of them have ever given me issues or have had me do something drastic like revert back to old drivers or what not.

256 bit bus, small chip, "wins handily", does not compute...

I call BS. Any "small chip" will likely be only 10-20% faster than 7970 as expected.

Which AMD with some rejiggering can probably easily launch a 1200-1400 mhz super 7970.

Anyway, I wont buy Nvidia because AMD's drivers are so much better, but I hope the competition brings prices down.

I really don't see GK104 beating HD7970 "handily" "on just about every metric", especially considering that a 256bit memory interface means that GK104 is poised to have far less memory bandwith than HD7970.

top end maybe, but it seems to me amd has way better deals the last few gen in the price ranges people actually buy cards at. for example, it's tough to beat the 6950 and 6870 for the price this time around imo, gtx 560 ti isn't a very good competitor (it's overpriced).

you can get a 6870 1gb for like 120 bucks if you're careful, and that's just crazy value.

Only crap thing about this is people are speculating Charlie only mean GK104 only wins on price/perf. Aka it may be slower but very fast and priced like 299.

If that's the case then I need to wait for it too, along with the rest of AMD's lineup, before making a purchasing decision. Sigh, this will never end.

But if you spend all your money on videocards, then you can't afford to buy games at release anyway.

:)

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
OP, you should have made the thread title more sensational like " NVIDIA MOPS THE FLOOR WITH AMD'S BACK HAIRS!"

:p

My guess is this is the suspected, upclocked 580 on 28nm basically.

Something like, 576 CC's, 900 mhz core, as per the previously rumored specs, would probably give it enough to equal or beat 7970, since 7970 is only 20% faster than 580.

The only unexplained thing is how they would deal with the memory bandwidth deficit? Maybe they dont win any benches over 1080P lol.

Anyway, I wont buy Nvidia because AMD's drivers are so much better

Nope, still not getting it. Someone explain it to me?

And this coming from the biggest
Nvidia-hater
, so things must be really promising.

Source

i'm supposed to be shocked if the fastest graphics card is only the fastest for three months? that's what is SUPPOSED to happen even if it doesn't always.

Zzoram

For the past few generations nVidia's top card always beats AMD's top card, but also costs more.

Performance/$ tends to still favor AMD.

amdnv

And come one now, let's see some more legit benches. I have no doubt nvidia will have another great GPU but let's see something first and not hyperbolic comments.
Hyperbolic comments by C. Demerjian? If anything, he's lowballing. Or he's reverse trolling us.

hahahaha totally forgot about the ancient GAF tradition of spoiler tagging the OP.

Yeahhhh that was shut down and made bannable if I remember correctly.

DieH@rd

Banned
For the past few generations nVidia's top card always beats AMD's top card, but also costs more.

Performance/$ tends to still favor AMD.

This. When 6xx comes out, AMD prices will go down and everyone will be happy. But lets not forget fantastic overclock ability of 7970, AMD can still put another model on the market.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Guess I'll go with that then, was waiting on Nvidia's answer to the AMD cards. Hearing it's even better is just icing on the cake

Dont understand the spoiler tags but either way bring on the new GPUs :)
GPUs is serious bizznizz

Salacious Crumb

"Nvidia will win this round on just about every metric, some more than others."

Hopefully one of the 'more' metrics is price, it's about time Nvidia take the price/performance crown at the top end.

Top Bottom