• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Binary Domain |OT| BUYING THIS GAME IS Not up for Nagoshiation

duckroll

I was playing on Survivor and swear that must have taken a good 20 minutes, lol.

That boss battle almost broke my hands, but goddamn it was worth it. Lol.

I finally beat the game. The final chapter was certainly pretty... interesting. I was pretty surprised at how your affinity with your squad mates actually played out in the final battle as well. I'm really starting to wonder what possible variations there are in the various cutscenes throughout the game. At least a few of them seemed like they might play out differently depending on how high your Trust level is with certain people.

Chapter 6 spoilers:
So is it possible for Cain to reappear at all at the end? My Trust with him was pretty damn low, so I wasn't surprised that he never showed up again. In my game, Big Bo betrayed me and got into one of the mechs himself, while Rachael took a hit for Faye from the final boss and died. But I just saw a playthrough on Youtube where Big Bo stayed with the team, and he was the one who took the hit for Faye instead. I wonder if it's possible to get an outcome where Big Bo lives...

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I finally beat the game. The final chapter was certainly pretty... interesting. I was pretty surprised at how your affinity with your squad mates actually played out in the final battle as well. I'm really starting to wonder what possible variations there are in the various cutscenes throughout the game. At least a few of them seemed like they might play out differently depending on how high your Trust level is with certain people.

Chapter 6 spoilers:
So is it possible for Cain to reappear at all at the end? My Trust with him was pretty damn low, so I wasn't surprised that he never showed up again. In my game, Big Bo betrayed me and got into one of the mechs himself, while Rachael took a hit for Faye from the final boss and died. But I just saw a playthrough on Youtube where Big Bo stayed with the team, and he was the one who took the hit for Faye instead. I wonder if it's possible to get an outcome where Big Bo lives...

Yeah, Cain can come back. The 'best' outcome is Cain takes the hit for Faye and doesn't die, and your trust with Bo is high enough for him not to betray you.

duckroll

Yeah, Cain can come back. The 'best' outcome is Cain takes the hit for Faye and doesn't die, and your trust with Bo is high enough for him not to betray you.

Wow. That's pretty awesome. That should make future replays pretty worthwhile, especially trying out different squad members and trying to build a high level of trust with everyone.

Papercuts

Is there a nanomachine for trust beyond the 5% one? I was wondering how to raise Shindo's trust more, IIRC I used him every time I could but wasn't very close. I'm not sure if anything changes with him.

Papercuts

but how can you get such a outcome? the only ones with not high trust were charlie and rachael.
big bo died

Big Bo not dying means you need Cain to have high enough trust to return, and Bo needs high trust to not betray you. Rachel/charlie don't seem to matter. "High" trust, though, I'm not sure if it needs max or just the fourth bar, I had it maxed.

duckroll

I'm curious about another thing regarding the end of the game:
Is it possible to have such low Trust with Faye that Dan actually kills her? Lol.

Papercuts

I'm curious about another thing regarding the end of the game:
Is it possible to have such low Trust with Faye that Dan actually kills her? Lol.

I noticed at that scene the autosave icon appeared on the side, I'm assuming he'd shoot her otherwise.

Actually I REALLY want to know that know.
If that's true I wonder if the commander tries to attack/kill another member. If that does happen then the 'worst' ending would be shindo dies, cain dies, faye dies, bo betrays and dies, the commander attacks and kills someone(maybe), so it's be dan and rachel or charlie? damn.

Shaneus

Any word on the Digital Foundry comparison? I'm sure the differences aren't that great anyway and surely not enough to sway my preference from using the 360 controller over the PS3, but it'd be good to know for sure if one's clearly better than the other.

Lyonaz

Why isn't there a single player option for Invasion mode?
Not that I'm not enjoying playing with others, but sometimes you just want to take scrapheads on by yourself to see how far you can go.
Playing as a sniper is great, with a shotgun for close encounters.

Still on Ch.3

OMFG

I'm in love with this! (^____^)

I find myself drawn into every cutscene and I never want the combat to end.

<3<3<3

Definitely my favorite of the year thus far. Almost tempted to make another thread just to more views.
It's depressing this one is not even 20 pages yet =(

duckroll

Why isn't there a single player option for Invasion mode?
Not that I'm not enjoying playing with others, but sometimes you just want to take scrapheads on by yourself to see how far you can go.
Playing as a sniper is great, with a shotgun for close encounters.

Yeah I'm not sure why the interface for the MP modes are kinda bad and lacking options. A bot mode or a split-screen co-op option for Invasion would definitely be nice. I played like 16 rounds of Invasion in a Quick Match earlier, and I had to bail out during a round. It seems it didn't save any of the Challenges I unlocked? Not sure what's going on.

Which difficulty do you suggest guys? I Binary Domain guys!

I recommend Hard, or Survivor whatever its called. As you unlock a real Hard Mode after completing that. Its not unfair, robots are just more deadly. Its awesome as they are supposed to be terminators.

Did anyone get the voice recognition to work accurately? I'll probably do another playthrough with it enabled, but right now it only detects simple words like "fire","charge", etc.

never got it to work properly, disabled the whole option.

duckroll

I recommend Hard, or Survivor whatever its called. As you unlock a real Hard Mode after completing that. Its not unfair, robots are just more deadly. Its awesome as they are supposed to be terminators.

Survivor is definitely the way to go imo. It never feels too hard, and the challenge feels about right as long as you're familiar with shooters and aren't awful at them. Players who really suck at shooters might want to consider playing on easier settings and turning aim assist on.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.

Chapter 6 spoilers:

oh wow. my ending was different.
Big Bo didn't betray me and he died saving Faye. Wow Big Bo can betray you? that is soo cool.

Is there a way to keep Shindo alive?

I would pay at least 200-300 if Sega made a replica of the Rust crew's watch.

Maffis

I really want this game but the short length is putting me off. I don't like to say this but I will have to wait until it gets cheaper.

duckroll

I really want this game but the short length is putting me off. I don't like to say this but I will have to wait until it gets cheaper.

It's not short. I would say it's about as long as most of the top shooters in the market. There are a bunch of varied levels and it'll take about 8-10 hours the first time through the game. Definitely not shorter than Gears of War or Uncharted.

Lyonaz

Yeah the game is roughly the same length as Uncharted 3. And I don't get regret getting the game at all for the normal price.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What an amazing experience. Take Blade Runner and mix it with the Yakuza games and you get Binary Domain.

And while there are some problems I have with the game, I quite enjoyed playing it immensely. The dialog system is about as shallow as a BioWare game, but because I don't hate the characters are find the story insipid, I was totally invested in the outcome. Unfortunately I couldn't get the
best ending with Cain
, so I'll probably have to play it again at some point to see if I can get it.

I want to say that Of The End/Dead Souls will play like this... but I know it won't be. Still, two Yakuza-esque experiences in a month? I'm not going to complain.

I'm curious though - in Japan, does everyone have Japanese voices? I'd like to have played it that way, but unfortunately it doesn't look like there are dialog track options (that I can see).

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
never got it to work properly, disabled the whole option.
They had the right idea, but the execution was so poor. Surely they knew it was broken/poorly implemented before shipping it? It would have definitely increased the immersion factor if it worked well.

eshwaaz

In a generation where 5 - 6 hour shooter campaigns have become the norm, Binary Domain's 8 - 10 hour length is praiseworthy.

duckroll

I'm curious though - in Japan, does everyone have Japanese voices? I'd like to have played it that way, but unfortunately it doesn't look like there are dialog track options (that I can see).

Set your PS3/360 system language to Japanese, and the entire game should be in Japanese. It worked for RoF and should work by BD too. But it also means all the text is in Japanese. I haven't test this with BD yet though.

Big Bo not dying means you need Cain to have high enough trust to return, and Bo needs high trust to not betray you. Rachel/charlie don't seem to matter. "High" trust, though, I'm not sure if it needs max or just the fourth bar, I had it maxed.

as I mentioned previously, I got this scenario with having max trust for everyone except for Charlie and Rachel who were a couple of points shy from that. Though I'm sure it didn't matter with Shindo and Kurosawa. I also saved Bo from the Cerberus, though I'm not sure if that was needed to get the best outcome but it did help maxing out my trust with Bo.

oh wow. my ending was different.
Big Bo didn't betray me and he died saving Faye. Wow Big Bo can betray you? that is soo cool.

Is there a way to keep Shindo alive?

I would pay at least 200-300 if Sega made a replica of the Rust crew's watch.

yea, this was my first ending, I was surprised.
Though whole Bo not betraying is an achievement/trophy so that explains the possibilities. I wonder why there isn't a reward/achievement for getting the best scenario though.

I really wish they would have included a cut scene viewer.

I have a question for who have completed this on Survivor:
how much more difficult are the Shinobi enemies?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I have a question for who have completed this on Survivor:
how much more difficult are the Shinobi enemies?
Survivor is easy. Those enemies go down with the shock wave attack pretty quickly.

Set your PS3/360 system language to Japanese, and the entire game should be in Japanese. It worked for RoF and should work by BD too. But it also means all the text is in Japanese. I haven't test this with BD yet though.
Doesn't seem to work - I set both language and local to Japanese. If anyone has any ideas?

The best way I sum it up is, for every section thats a little clunky theres one action scene
Around the corner that puts a large grin on my face.

Anyone knows where I can download the hi res Japanese box art for the
360??

Oh and the 360 version runs perfectly smooth except for a few boss fights.

I never bothered clicking on this till looking at the Yakuza of the Dead thread. My only question is there a chance the story will turn out to be borderline parody (like an unintentional Bulletstorm or perhaps a Metal Wolf Chaos), because after looking at the IGN review, that seems possible...and I am totally fine with that. It would actually encourage me to get the game more. I love good story telling, but I also love a insane/crazy story kind of like The Third Birthday (which tries to be realistic in settings, groups, timeline, but is so batshit crazy at the same time).

FreeMufasa

Just finished it. I agree with the person who said it's there SotD for 2012 because it certainly feels like it.

Loved all of it. I guess it helps i've been thirsty for GeoW game for the past 3 years but I think BD can stand proud with the best of the genre. The whole trust with team mates and it influencing the game significantly is something i'd like to see more in squad shooters.

Regarding the ending

Cain and Shindo didn't return for me. Bo took the hit for Faye and died =(. With the scene after the credits, I was thinking this would be a perfect set up for BD2. You play as Faye and have the whole world coming after you. But i'm glad Dan and her ended together.

So i'll play some multiplayer later tonight and i'll return it tommorow. I'll definately buy this sometime in the future, just like SotD. Great game. Team Yakuza are magic. And now we have Dead Souls, soon. 'Appy days.

EDIT: Fucked up. Sorry guys =(

duckroll

Alrighty, Gaf; i'm trusting you on this. I love nagoshi and am out to purchase this today. Was going to do mass effect 3 preorder or tru vita sale but this will do

If you like Yakuza and you like Gears of War and you like Japanese action games with giant multi-part bosses, you won't be disappointed.

Woutst

I've been playing up until the end of chapter 4. I stopped when the title of Chapter 5 came up. I don't want this game to end: it's so good! Great story telling!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It definitely works on the PS3. I hope it doesn't mean Sega got cheap with the 360 one...

Could have been a space issue on the 360.

I can also confirm that it definitely works on the PS3. I bought the US version expecting to play it with a mix of English and Japanese voices, but after the install, everything was in Japanese.

FreeMufasa

This game also has to have the most satisfying enemy to kill. With most games I usually get bored at some point but the robots in this were fun to kill from start to finish.

Torraz

Damn it, this hype is making waiting for another price drop pretty hard, not sure I want to spend 33 euro bucks :|.

CAW

Picked this up this afternoon from Walmart after reading through this thread and playing the demo!

So pumped. Definitely going to be a week of killing some friggin androids!

Volcynika

Up to Chapter 5. Really enjoying it, though, while cool, I wasn't a huge fan of (late CH4 spoilers)
the Tsar Runner. I kept messing up when he was smashing down and not hitting that tiny drive bit...unless I was supposed to be looking elsewhere. Cool battle though.

Just got to chapter six...

Hello there, Battlestar Galactica plot twist.

I had figured Faye was a Hollow Child for a while now, but didn't think that she was a human child of one.

Also, Cain rocks. Crazy French Canadian-accented robot. I hope I get him back or at least save him.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Just got to chapter six...

Hello there, Battlestar Galactica plot twist.

I had figured Faye was a Hollow Child for a while now, but didn't think that she was a human child of one.

Also, Cain rocks. Crazy French Canadian-accented robot. I hope I get him back or at least save him.
Story spoilers:

I actually thought Dan was a Hollow Child, especially when there were flashbacks of him smashing that robot with a baseball bat or something as a kid. So Faye turning out to be a Hollow Child was actually shocking to me. I guess her rigid facial expressions were a give away, but I never really thought about that lol.

Based on the positive impressions in this thread I think I'm going to grab this today with a $10 off coupon from BestBuy here in Canada. Looks like a lot of fun!

Kacho

Damn it, this hype is making waiting for another price drop pretty hard, not sure I want to spend 33 euro bucks :|.

I'm waiting for a price drop myself and this thread is making me want to say screw that and just go out to get it. :(

Top Bottom