• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Votes: greatest meltdowns in Gaming History. Ends March 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nif

My favorite part of the FF13 meltdowns, after the end of the world posts, were the quick avatar changes from FF13 to Versus.

That FFXIII betrayal was glorious, so my vote for top goes to that.

Can't wait to see another one when Versus is announced for 360 as well.

1. Final Fantasy XIII Betrayalton
2.Metal Gear Solid 4 on 360 aka The Carnival of Stupid
3.Dragon Quest X for Wii/WiiU... Online!

AAK

I remember there was a thread involving brand new Resistance sceens... and I can't remember what happened but it ended up in a big blowup of Doombringer sleeping with his sister and photoshops of Yaoi hentai on the revealed screens.

I'm trying to look for it but I can't find it. That was probably the hardest I've laughed in the past 10 years. Madness in every way.

Subscribed. That XIII thread has been great so far. Look at how hopeful everyone was that it would be an actual FF game that was worth something.

Yeah, this is the real hilarious thing looking back. Amazing how much credibility this series lost in just a few years and how much power it still had back then.

Bigfoot

1. Uncharted 3 Reviews + hall of shame

I'm only voting for the UC3 one for now as it is the only time I remember reading about a GAF meltdown at gaming sites outside of the NeoGAF forums.

I'll check back and add a # 2 and 3 later if I see a nomination that fits.

Oppo

So hard to pick!

I think I'd have to lean towards the Carnival of Stupid (MGS4 on 360).

It was just.... incredible. People were convinced it was coming, and really really agitated about any little thing that said otherwise, or seemed to hint at that happening.

nickcv

While it wasn't exactly a meltdown moment the Metal Gear Solid: Triology thread was one of GAF's brightest moments in my opinion. I stopped visiting IGN as a result of that thread.

RagnarokX

How about Rockband GAF committing suicide because Evilore, in addition to allowing them to keep their megathread as an exception to the new rules on megathreads, asked them nicely to make new threads for new news?

Yama

1. FFXIII on Xbox 360

It really was a true megaton, and the way it was unveiled was amazing. People were notexpecting Wada to come back when the conference was about to end and tap on Matrick's shoulder. The reactions when it happened and the next minutes was just awesome, meltdowns everywhere.

A classic.

I didn't even know I cared, but when he came back on stage I remember getting a hot flash. That was pure megaton.

LosDaddie

Banned
:lol
So many meltdowns, and typically from the same faction.

I remember reading the VF5 to X360 with Online play being a good reason.

fernoca

Yeah. The FFXIII was a two-part.
-The "pre-reveal" with Kagari's post
-The "after-reveal" with the waves of replies and the well known "expert in japanese culture" post.

"Celda" reveal always will be special. More recently the "Frankenstick" for the 3DS had a few mini-meltdowns, combined that it was revealed with MH Tri G too.

Buzzati

Banned
If these meltdown threads serve any purpose, it's to show off the freakshow characters that this place holds. People literally reaching for Lorazepam when their Final Fantasy game is not only going to be on their system, but...another system!

Anth0ny

It's the Final Fantasy XIII betrayalton, and it's not even close.

I don't know how much you know about NeoGAF culture (I'm an expert)...

Dresden

The most offensive thing about that XIII meltdown thread is this dude's browser.

XsiA4.jpg

Good lord.

1. Denis Dyack meltdown

I vote for this, and only this, because the impact from the thread he made and his subsequent banning sent ripples through the entire games industry. Nothing else on the list qualifies. I heard about it other sites and other podcasts and I don't think I'd ever even heard of NeoGAF before that. It made me want to become a member just to take part in these kind of legendary shenanigans.

Square just shot themselves in the foot.

This is just amazing!
Undisputed champ during my time here (though I was a lurker then) though the Uncharted 3 reviews was also insane.

sp3000

Uncharted 3. Shows that fanbase for what it really is.

Those fans are the worst of any game I have ever seen. Utterly despicable behavior that is worse than what is usually shown on places like 4chan.

Despera

Banned

Those fans are the worst of any game I have ever seen. Utterly despicable behavior that is worse than what is usually shown on places like 4chan.
Gotta admit, wasn't expecting that kind of behavior on GAF. And all that shit for an 8? :(

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
i cant find it, but wasnt the virtua fighter 5 going multiplat thread a bloodbath in its day? its one of the few that i remember people making a big stink about.

Anth0ny

RE4 was bad, but I don't think it's possible to even top Celda. You would refresh and there would instantly be another 100 Celda topics. I remember it got so bad they actually had to lock the board down.

Are these threads archived? going through the Wii controller reveal thread all these years later is hilarious.

I have briefly searched the internet:

What is a betrayalton?

Is that where a company makes a move that enrages its fanboys?

I'm guessing it's where all these people bitch and moan about how a company's new idea/system change/anything outside the norm is a huge dagger in the heart of said loyal fans.

Think the "dogs and cats living together" speech from Ghostbusters but equate it to video game culture...

There really should be a best of thread thing on GAF that people can vote on so these get archived. The FFXIII showed the true fanboy colors of a lot of folks which was even dumber since the game was still coming out for the PS3.

Card Boy

Banned

Seriously some disgusting stuff and I'm surprised the key figures from those Uncharted 3 threads still have the ordacity to post on these forums. We literally got 2 brand new Uncharted threads a day for 2 weeks from these fools around the time Uncharted 3 came out. I'm not talking about regular Uncharted fans here, just those diehard fanboys.

8 out of 10, never forget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom