• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

B.K.
(03-07-2012, 04:50 AM)
Patch

Installation instructions

The biggest complain about the PSP version of Final Fantasy Tactics is the slowdown during attack animations. This patch removes that. I have tested it on a ISO that I have ripped myself and on the UMD. It works on both. I don't know about the PSN version. I don't have that on my PSP.

0.1.3 is the latest version of the patch, so download it. You have to have a PSP with custom firmware or a temporary custom firmware to use the patch. There's also a patch that changes the game back to its original aspect ratio. Apparently, the PSP version zooms and stretches the original picture of the game.
Last edited by B.K.; 03-07-2012 at 06:36 AM.
Aeana
Medal Princess
(03-07-2012, 04:52 AM)
That was fast.
Rentahamster
Rodent Whores
Wow.

It's amazing why this problem was in the game in the first place.
B.K.

Originally Posted by Aeana

That was fast.

What do you mean?

Originally Posted by Rentahamster

Wow.

It's amazing why this problem was in the game in the first place.

If you have a PSP with custom firmware, you have to use the patch. You won't believe how much it speeds up the game.
Last edited by B.K.; 03-07-2012 at 04:56 AM.
BassForever
(03-07-2012, 04:55 AM)
I've been putting off modding my PSP, but the chance to play WotL without slow down on my PSP is worth it.
charlequin
Loving Husband. Caring Moderator. Secret Octopus.
(03-07-2012, 04:56 AM)

That was fast.

HEYOOO
Truth101
Banned
(03-07-2012, 04:57 AM)

That was fast.

Bravo.
-Pyromaniac-

That was fast.

I chuckled inwardly.
Pinko Marx

Originally Posted by B.K.

What do you mean?

She means it wasn't fast. She was making a joke using sarcasm. The game came out in 2009. Its 2012 now. So it wasn't fast. Thats the joke.
harriet the spy
(03-07-2012, 04:58 AM)
It's a shame that SQenix couldn't be arsed to fix this, even in non-PSP version (though this shows this could have been fixed even for the PSP).
sixteen-bit
(03-07-2012, 04:59 AM)

That was fast.

Great 1st reply
H_Prestige
Banned
Remember how SE used to say this problem was impossible to fix because it had something to do with the engine or something?
Takao
Hello friend!
Have you heard the good news about Medabots?!

Originally Posted by Pinko Marx

She means it wasn't fast. She was making a joke using sarcasm. The game came out in 2009. Its 2012 now. So it wasn't fast. Thats the joke.

It came out in 2007, lol.
Aeana
Medal Princess
(03-07-2012, 05:00 AM)
If it does really get rid of it completely, I'm pretty excited about it. And the thread linked says it works with the PSN version too, so that's great.
pa22word
(03-07-2012, 05:00 AM)
Awesome, can't wait to try it out.

That was fast.

Nice
B.K.
(03-07-2012, 05:01 AM)

If it does really get rid of it completely, I'm pretty excited about it.

I've tested it. It works. After playing the game on my Vita for the last week and a half, the game almost seems too fast now.
Pinko Marx
(03-07-2012, 05:03 AM)
I'd care more if I actually had the time to replay this game.
Nowadays I'm lucky if I can get an hour of gaming in besides the weekends.
Zoe
(03-07-2012, 05:04 AM)
Nice. I finally got around to ripping all my FF UMD's, so I'll have to give this a shot.
animlboogy
(03-07-2012, 05:05 AM)
Pretty incompetent of Square not to fix this themselves. Makes me wonder how well the iOS version could be running.
LiquidSolid
(03-07-2012, 05:06 AM)
Square Enix should pull a Rockstar and add this to the PSN version.
Pinko Marx
(03-07-2012, 05:06 AM)

Originally Posted by animlboogy

Pretty incompetent of Square not to fix this themselves. Makes me wonder how well the iOS version could be running.

somethingsomething HD towns.
B.K.
(03-07-2012, 05:23 AM)
If I wasn't already so far in the game, I'd start it over.
harriet the spy
(03-07-2012, 05:24 AM)

If I wasn't already so far in the game, I'd start it over.

Are you playing in iOS?
B.K.
(03-07-2012, 05:25 AM)

Originally Posted by harriet the spy

Are you playing in iOS?

Vita. I bought the PSN version when I got my Vita.
JJD
(03-07-2012, 05:35 AM)
Would a patch like that even work on a Vita? Doesn't it require custom firmware on the PSP?

I'm interested in this. FF Tactics is one of the first games I plan to buy when I finally get my Vita on may...
B.K.
(03-07-2012, 05:37 AM)

Originally Posted by JJD

Would a patch like that even work on a Vita?

It won't work on Vita. You need a PSP with custom firmware. Your PSP has to be able to run plugins.
angelfly
(03-07-2012, 05:37 AM)

Originally Posted by animlboogy

There was nothing to fix as the slowdown was apparently intentional.
Dresden
on the run
(03-07-2012, 05:38 AM)

Originally Posted by angelfly

There was nothing to fix as the slowdown was apparently intentional.

lol

Cinematic combat!
JJD
(03-07-2012, 05:48 AM)

It won't work on Vita. You need a PSP with custom firmware. Your PSP has to be able to run plugins.

Yeah...I imagined that...

How's you experience with the game on the Vita? I played it from start to finish a long time ago on the PS1 and I'm looking forward to doing it again on the Vita.
Last edited by JJD; 03-07-2012 at 05:50 AM.
B.K.
(03-07-2012, 05:50 AM)

Originally Posted by JJD

How's you experience with the game on the Vita? I played it from start to finish on the PS1 and I'm looking forward to doing it again on the Vita.

It's a bit more blurry than I was expected. The game doesn't scale as well as I had hoped. Especially the text. The worst part is the slowdown. With this patch, I'll never play the game on Vita again after I finish it this time. I'm at the end of Chapter 3. I'm going to finish it.
btkadams
(03-07-2012, 05:56 AM)

Originally Posted by LiquidSolid

Square Enix should pull a Rockstar and add this to the PSN version.

what did rockstar do??
Attackthebase
(03-07-2012, 06:04 AM)

I've tested it. It works. After playing the game on my Vita for the last week and a half, the game almost seems too fast now.

Edit: Nevermind, I read through the rest of the thread. Had my answer already.
LiquidSolid
(03-07-2012, 06:07 AM)

Originally Posted by btkadams

what did rockstar do??

Released cracked executables with a number of their Steam releases.
aett
(03-07-2012, 06:15 AM)
Awesome! I wanted to replay this the other day, but the slowdown was too frustrating for me. Perfect timing.
Choppasmith
(03-07-2012, 06:18 AM)

I'm totally out of the PSP loop, but how is it possible to patch the game and play it on a Vita? I thought the game would only be usable on a Jailbroken PSP with custom firmware.
B.K.
(03-07-2012, 06:20 AM)

Originally Posted by Choppasmith

I'm totally out of PSP loop, but how is it possible to patch the game and play it on a Vita?

It's not. I've been playing the PSN version of the game on my Vita. I tested the patch on my PSP 2000. I was just saying that after being used to the slowdown on the Vita, the game seemed almost too fast without it.
hutna
(03-07-2012, 06:25 AM)
any videos of what the game looks like with the patch applied?

i'd like to do it, but it seems like a decent amount of work to rip the UMD and patch it. i wasn't someone who found the slowdown a deal breaker with this game; honestly i didn't even really notice it much, but i'd be happy to be proven wrong.
Big-E
(03-07-2012, 06:27 AM)
I remember people here were saying it wasn't too bad, then I tried it and could not comprehend how people could have said that when compared to the original. I missed out on all the new story stuff because the version was unplayable and FFT is easily top 5 games of all time for me. Glad this exists but now I don't have a working PSP. I could play this on a Vita right? Might have to get one in the summer.
hutna
(03-07-2012, 06:31 AM)

Originally Posted by Big-E

I remember people here were saying it wasn't too bad, then I tried it and could not comprehend how people could have said that when compared to the original. I missed out on all the new story stuff because the version was unplayable and FFT is easily top 5 games of all time for me. Glad this exists but now I don't have a working PSP. I could play this on a Vita right? Might have to get one in the summer.

i've never understood how people could think a turn-based SRPG could be rendered "unplayable" by some slowdown. i mean there's hyperbole then there's just nonsense.
Big-E
(03-07-2012, 06:36 AM)

Originally Posted by hutna

i've never understood how people could think a turn-based SRPG could be rendered "unplayable" by some slowdown. i mean there's hyperbole then there's just nonsense.

The fact that animations literally double in time when I have played the game through on the PS1 numerous times means I am used to the game playing a certain way. I like to quickly level some times and I would like to cast accumulate and now I am waiting twice as long to do it. I had the Playstation version so I went back to that.
B.K.
(03-07-2012, 06:36 AM)

I could play this on a Vita right?

No. You can only use it on a PSP with custom firmware.
Big-E
(03-07-2012, 06:38 AM)

No. You can only use it on a PSP with custom firmware.

Will the PS1 version play on the Vita?
B.K.
(03-07-2012, 06:40 AM)

Will the PS1 version play on the Vita?

Eventually. Vitas can't play PS1 games yet.
Big-E
(03-07-2012, 06:42 AM)

Eventually. Vitas can't play PS1 games yet.

Damn though the wait shouldn't be too long I am guessing.
Magnus
(03-07-2012, 06:42 AM)
Good god, I love the internet.

I've been enjoying playing the game on my iPhone on and off for the last few months, but man, it's just appalling how bad the slowdown and framedrops are.

I own the UMD and the iOS edition, and will happily switch back to playing this on my Go if I can learn how to rip the UMD with my old PSP-2000 and apply this patch. Finally, the best possible version of this game! Yay.
chickdigger802
Banned
(03-07-2012, 06:45 AM)
So now the ipad version is dethroned as the best version?

Can a 'modded version' count as the 'best version'?

Wait... nvm There will be upgraded sprites coming to the ios version in the future... which might make it the best or the worst version depending on how it's done ;)
GrumpyAlien
(03-07-2012, 06:46 AM)
Nice! Now to decide between playing the one I just bought off of PSN on the amazing Vita screen with slowdown, or using this patch on my UMD copy and playing on my CFW 3000.
chandoog
(03-07-2012, 06:48 AM)
Is there also a patch to make the text size big ? i remember getting a huge headache for staring into the screen so intensely.
hutna
(03-07-2012, 06:52 AM)

The fact that animations literally double in time when I have played the game through on the PS1 numerous times means I am used to the game playing a certain way. I like to quickly level some times and I would like to cast accumulate and now I am waiting twice as long to do it. I had the Playstation version so I went back to that.

Fair enough, I guess I just have the patience to not notice a 2 second animation becoming a 4 second animation so much that I would deem the game "unplayable."
Seraphinianus
Banned
(03-07-2012, 06:53 AM)

Originally Posted by hutna

Fair enough, I guess I just have the patience to not notice a 2 second animation becoming a 4 second animation so much that I would deem the game "unplayable."

That adds up to a lot of extra time over the course of an already long game.