• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions (PSP) Slowdown Removal Patch

pje122

Not sure if I want the unstretch patch or not... would be nice if you could switch between the two on the fly...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Never knew about this newer developments. Guess it's time to switch to custom firmware again. Was PSn always possible? I never tested it when I was playing with my brother' CFW PSP. And when I bought my own i stuck to OFC.

Stuff has gone back and forth over the years, but it's a done deal at this point since Sony has moved onto the Vita.

Mr. Hyde

Awesome news! Although, the difficulty of the game is what scares me about playing it. Maybe I should take a chance now since I do actually own it.

Roto13

Sounds like this game is worth playing now. The slowdown was right up there with Chrono Trigger PS1 as far as ruining classic games goes. There were many times I waited for attack animations to finish and the screen actually went dim because my PSP was idle for so long.
Awesome news! Although, the difficulty of the game is what scares me about playing it. Maybe I should take a chance now since I do actually own it.

If you're scared off by the difficulty because you actually played it, you've probably hit a wall early on. :p FFT has a really, really terrible difficulty "curve" in that it's more like an easy game with some massive spikes thrown in at weird times, including really early on when you're simply not that developed. Of course, then you'll probably eventually figure out that a Black Mage with fully developed Math skills from a Mathematician is basically a win button....

Anyway, if you hit a difficulty mission, keep at it, because the mission directly after it will be super easy.

Victrix

*beard*
Really the only warning you need to survive FFT is keep multiple saves. As long as you do this you'll never get stuck at a point where you can't go back and do other fights to level/gain skills/buy new gear.

To get past the early game, realize that every action gives you experience, and be sure your dudes are doing something every turn, no matter how trivial.

There's no need to cheese it, but it'll speed things up a little.

Arukado

Video

There are no actual slowdowns while playing on the psp (too many plugins running at the same time + recording the video... sorry about that :/). But you can see the attacks load faster than ever (example: the sanguine sword attack).

EDIT: new video of the summoning. As I said early, no slowdowns and really fast.

Rocca

So, with the aspect ratio correction, does the game display some clean 1:1 pixels?

I'd probably get around to playing this if I could use my Vita. Oh well!

I'd like to try tonight to find out. Can't wait to experience the game with fantastic writing and zero lag.

This is pretty fantastic news, I can't wait to CFW my PSP now to try this out :)

The only thing that's keeping FFT:WOTL from being perfect to me now is the removal of stealing items from bosses. I know that you can get all the items in other ways but I really enjoyed that feature in the original game.

And it makes the
Gafgarion
boss battle one of the most hilarious in the history of gaming.

I played through the game on Vita during the last couple days and the slow spell effects didn't bother me at all outside of when I used mirror armor. That was ridiculous.

Special J

Banned
So, with the aspect ratio correction, does the game display some clean 1:1 pixels?

I'd probably get around to playing this if I could use my Vita. Oh well!

yes it displays at 1:1 pixels with black borders, but the game's art is made to be stretched.

That's what I thought too. It actually needs slowed down a little bit.

fft was always a slow game having these attacks animate faster only makes the game better imo

Aeonin

Very slightly off-topic: Does anyone know of any games similar to FFT?

Guess I'm mostly interested in turn based board game-play + jobs system.

I've played FFT to death - and want the next new hotness.

jaxword

Anything by Matsuno.

Try Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together.

It's like FFT, but improved in many ways (i.e. Archers are not useless).

Roto13

Jeanne d'Arc for PSP (though that doesn't really have a job system so much as specific unique characters that fill different roles on your team) and Final Fantasy Tactics A2 for DS are my preferred tactical RPGs.

Special J

Banned

i found the others to share the mechanics but imo aren't nearly as good as fft.

red13th

This thread has ruined my life since I'll be unable to do anything but play Ultimate Final Fantasy Tactics for a fair bit even though I should be studying. Thanks GAF.

BTW I always thought that
Ramza died in the end
, when did Matsuno say he didn't?

jaxword

This thread has ruined my life since I'll be unable to do anything but play Ultimate Final Fantasy Tactics for a fair bit even though I should be studying. Thanks GAF.

BTW I always thought that
Ramza died in the end
, when did Matsuno say he didn't?

A gaffer flat out asked him on his twitter. Matsuno confirmed without any ambiguity.

Zuly

It has a massive bonus over FFT in that you can actually ESCAPE FROM RANDOM BATTLES.

Why this wasn't in FFT, I don't know.

...And my favorite feature is that you can go back after doing an Action. I'm not sure why you had to be stuck with such a simple command and Move and then realize your plan won't work because your attack won't reach. :(

Kientin

Tactics Ogre is a good game, but it's just so damn slow. Even random encounters take 30+ minutes.

Some battles can be long but the animations are speedy. As long as the time is filled with meaningful gameplay that is fun, and the ability to save in the middle of long fights I have no problem with it. FFT's slowdown frustrated me to no end because of the animation times. I just felt like my time was being wasted especially with some of the longer attacks like holy. I just wanted it to be over so I could take my next move.

Roto13

Some battles can be long but the animations are speedy. As long as the time is filled with meaningful gameplay that is fun, and the ability to save in the middle of long fights I have no problem with it. FFT's slowdown frustrated me to no end because of the animation times. I just felt like my time was being wasted especially with some of the longer attacks like holy. I just wanted it to be over so I could take my next move.

Mathematician + Holy = Oh my god make it stop please make it stop

Maybe it's because I've played WotL so many times, but I think the "stretched" aspect ratio looks normal and the original looks squished.

Even with the slowdown corrected I'm not sure I would trade this for the iOS version. The extra features in that one put it ahead of everything for me, and there is supposedly even more on its way.

hutna

WE892.png
vs.
T8oEM.png

this is to me a better improvement than the slow down fixes, but i guess i must be some kind of super FFT player because apparently everyone else couldn't even play the game when a 1 second animation becomes 2 in a turn based strategy rpg...

going to apply this today; awesome.

Rootbeer

Banned
When companies can't even listen to their fanbase over easily corrected problems like this, they can't complain when people start pirating their games to get the "superior" experience. I want to buy this game for my Vita but it's a bummer knowing i'd be paying for a gimped copy that I can't alter to suit my wants.

ctrayne

When companies can't even listen to their fanbase over easily corrected problems like this, they can't complain when people start pirating their games to get the "superior" experience. I want to buy this game for my Vita but it's a bummer knowing i'd be paying for a gimped copy that I can't alter to suit my wants.

I agree. It's rather pathetic. It shows how out of touch with their fanbase/customer base most game companies are. Just pushing another commodity.

Which is why guys like CD Projekt Red need to stay in business. :)

Ravidrath

Damn, is there no way to get this onto a Vita before that gets hacked?

Could you install it on a PSP, patch it, and transfer it via PC...?

Jason2slow

Neo Member
MAN, I read this thread and thought that sqaure actually put out a patch to fix FFT....I was so hopeful for a second..haha.

I'll even settle for a "hd" re-release for the vita, the slowdown drives me crazy...and it looks so good on the vita too..

Wazzim

Banned
What? I have done this a long time ago when I was still on Gamefaqs, running the tv-out FUSA plugin and setting it to 60fps will solve the problem too. I still remember being excited when I finally found a fix.

lol

ctrayne

Damn, is there no way to get this onto a Vita before that gets hacked?

Could you install it on a PSP, patch it, and transfer it via PC...?

I don't think so. I believe it is a live patch, meaning it is applied on the fly rather than permanently. I could be wrong.

Snake

I want to kiss this patch on the mouth.

And thanks to Stump for the step-by-step directions for us unsavvy folks.

B.K.

I don't think so. I believe it is a live patch, meaning it is applied on the fly rather than permanently. I could be wrong.

Yeah. You don't actually apply it to anything. It's applied in real time as you play the game. It even works if you're playing the game on UMD.

Maedhros

There's no patch for the random scripts they say before they cast a magic/summon/skill, right? It was in PS1/JP PSP version of the game, but never made over here... I dunno why.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Neat, I've never finished the game. (only played around 10-hours or so). But this looks like the perfect time to give it a another shot, after I finish up my backlog at least!

RedSwirl

Wait. Now we've reached the point where pirates can fix problems with games that the developers can't? Jesus.

Top Bottom