• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions (PSP) Slowdown Removal Patch

The only thing that's keeping FFT:WOTL from being perfect to me now is the removal of stealing items from bosses.

Wait, what? Really?

There's no patch for the random scripts they say before they cast a magic/summon/skill, right?

And they cut that too? This game has a hell of a lot more wrong with it than I thought!

Wait. Now we've reached the point where pirates can fix problems with games that the developers can't? Jesus.

Nobody who fixed this game is a "pirate," and also you're way behind the times, fans have been fixing problems in games that developers failed to address for decades. :p

Wait, what? Really?
Was I the only one disappointed by that? I spent a ridiculous amount of time stealing all of the genji gear from
Elmdore
and loved every minute.

It was a great way to get rare equipment during the game and it weakened the bosses in the process. What wasn't to like?

jaxword

No, I meant "did they really alter the game in the PSP version to make that impossible?"

Actually, they did not alter it--it was ALWAYS impossible in the original Japanese PSX version. It was the American version that removed the inherent "Maintenance" skill from bosses. Likely to give powergamers a bone since without it the higher-level rarities would be as rare as a pink tail.

The FFT psx we got was actually another "easytype/international version"; most people don't know that.

FFT PSP is far more faithful to the original J-version's difficulty.

Deadstar

So if I'm looking for this type of game do I go for Final Fantasy Tactics or Tactics Ogre? My vita is ready but I'm not sure which game to go for.

luca1980

Banned
So if I'm looking for this type of game do I go for Final Fantasy Tactics or Tactics Ogre? My vita is ready but I'm not sure which game to go for.

Tactics ogre is better.
The remake improved its gameplay way better than fft.
Yet fft it's a timeless classic, the climax of ff de facto. So play fft and than to

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Was I the only one disappointed by that? I spent a ridiculous amount of time stealing all of the genji gear from
Elmdore
and loved every minute.

It was a great way to get rare equipment during the game and it weakened the bosses in the process. What wasn't to like?

Yeah "chicken" + "steal" = hilarity

Good times

hutna

Cut content?

Like what?

there were 4 like mini interactive story books that you would access from the Inns IIRC. they were really cool; i remember being shocked when my girlfriend who had the japanese version showed me them.

EDIT

here is a youtube video of one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG03EcJCCdk

i guess you get them from the "warren report" style info compendium menu, but for some reason i swear i remember the inns and the jobs you would send your characters on from there had something to do with these (it's been so long i can't remember exactly).

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member

Mixing classes in FFT is a lot of fun, but TO is a better balanced and more fun game. The only thing I can't stand in TO is crafting, sooo tedious! Next patch please!

Victrix

*beard*
Mixing classes in FFT is a lot of fun, but TO is a better balanced and more fun game. The only thing I can't stand in TO is crafting, sooo tedious! Next patch please!

There's a patch for that already! In fact it's been out ever since the game came out. 100% success on combines.

Roto13

Since your Vita won't be able to use the patch that makes this game tolerable, Tactics Ogre.

I'm actually surprised to see so many recommending Tactics Ogre over FFT. FFT has plenty of flaws, but some of the issues in Tactics Ogre were just deal breakers for me. In particular having new classes start out as super under powered level one classes was terrible for me, I felt like I had to try to spend way too much time grinding to level up a full class. I don't believe that I used a single advanced class as I wasn't willing to put in the time to grind them up. Also, the combination of TP attacks and too many "kill the enemy leader" missions really kill the tactics involved. Just take your Archer, work to build up a bit of TP, then just whack the enemy leader in one turn and end the mission. No need to worry about anything other then that, and it worked for like 75% of the missions. Also I found FFT's more flexible class system better for creating cool multi-class combinations, while TO's was much more strict and less fun to tweak.

I'm sure others disagree, but just tossing in my two cents for FFT being a better game.

The Tactics Ogre remake isn't particularly well balanced and is too easy, but it has that in common with FFT. The original TO still has the best gameplay.

there were 4 like mini interactive story books that you would access from the Inns IIRC. they were really cool; i remember being shocked when my girlfriend who had the japanese version showed me them.

EDIT

here is a youtube video of one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG03EcJCCdk

i guess you get them from the "warren report" style info compendium menu, but for some reason i swear i remember the inns and the jobs you would send your characters on from there had something to do with these (it's been so long i can't remember exactly).

Three of them have been fantranslated and are playable in web form:

http://www.oocities.org/tuffydabubba/

D.Lo

Always wanted to play this. Wasn't released in PAL. Which version should I play, PS1 or PSP (on CFW PSP 2000)?

No, I meant "did they really alter the game in the PSP version to make that impossible?"

Sorry charlequin, there was so much bitching about that when WOTL was released I thought everyone knew about that omission. I didn't know that it only existed in the US verison of the game though. It really made the experience so much more fun to me, especially when you get super-powered towards the end of the game and the bosses aren't that much of a challenge anyway.

Special J

Banned
Yeah. Maybe the best compromise would be if it could be made to stretch only horizontally. Something like
NnBST.png

yup. im surprised people are preferring fucked up aspect ratios because it looks "sharp"

I just tried the patch and I didn't like the corrected aspect ratio at all so I turned it off. The speed patch is literally a game changer though, SE should be really embarrassed.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I don't see how this would be possible, unless an official patch is made...

I'm sure someone can mod the ISO file and make it into a signed EBOOT.PBP unless Sony has changed the "signed" keys needed for the PSP emulator in the PSP2. :/

aktham

Hopefully SE can include a patch for those who want to play this on vita without the slowdown/option to change the aspect ratio.

Hopefully SE can include a patch for those who want to play this on vita without the slowdown/option to change the aspect ratio.

You're not serious are you? If they haven't fixed it in the years since it came out, they're not going to suddenly fix it because of the Vita.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
You're not serious are you? If they haven't fixed it in the years since it came out, they're not going to suddenly fix it because of the Vita.

Given there is now a million + new buyers from the PSP2 launch, it'd be insane if they didn't.

Compared to the millions that already owned the PSP when the game come out? And the millions sold in the time between?

It's not really worth arguing, but I really think you guys are deluding yourselves.

Valnen

Custom Firmware:
- Takes less than five minutes to install
- Can be set up to be "temporary", so that if you reboot your PSP, you're back on OFW
- Has access to PSN
- Works on every PSP model
- PSP's firmware won't get any more updates so there's no risk of the typical firmware/jailbreak arms race
- If you can download and install this patch, you've spent more time modifying your PSP than it takes to download and install CFW

Interested?
- Update your PSP's firmware to 6.60.
- Download this: http://procfw.googlecode.com/files/660PRO-B10.fix1.rar and extract it
- Connect your PSP to your computer in USB mode.
- Drag the PSP folder from the extracted RAR onto your PSP. (so you should have at least driveletter:\PSP\GAME\FastRecovery and driveletter:\PSP\GAME\PROUPDATE)
- Disconnect your PSP
- Run "Pro Update" on your PSP.
- When that is finished, you may delete or keep Pro Update.
- Every time you reboot you're on Official Firmware. Run Fast Recovery to switch to custom firmware. The switch takes about 5-10 seconds. Sleep mode keeps you in Custom Firmware.
That sounds...about a million times easier than it used to be. I'm assuming this won't brick my PSP 3000?

krYlon

I'm actually surprised to see so many recommending Tactics Ogre over FFT. FFT has plenty of flaws, but some of the issues in Tactics Ogre were just deal breakers for me. In particular having new classes start out as super under powered level one classes was terrible for me, I felt like I had to try to spend way too much time grinding to level up a full class. I don't believe that I used a single advanced class as I wasn't willing to put in the time to grind them up. Also, the combination of TP attacks and too many "kill the enemy leader" missions really kill the tactics involved. Just take your Archer, work to build up a bit of TP, then just whack the enemy leader in one turn and end the mission. No need to worry about anything other then that, and it worked for like 75% of the missions. Also I found FFT's more flexible class system better for creating cool multi-class combinations, while TO's was much more strict and less fun to tweak.

I'm sure others disagree, but just tossing in my two cents for FFT being a better game.

Completely agree with this, particularly the mission design and simple tactics needed in most missions. I did the exact same as you with the archers and TP.
There is a lot to like about TO, but I am puzzled as to why people ignore how flawed and repetitive it is strategy/tactics wise.
I mean you can experiment more with other classes but the new class system makes experimenting too time consuming and inefficient.

FFT has its problems too (which is why I want to play version 1.3) but at least it has some varied mission design and the job system is more elegant than anything TO has.

FFT and TO are both execrably slow and antiquated games. It's sad that sandbox RPGs slapped on a grid are still more popular than more strategic, faster paced, and better designed tactics games.

I've seen more than once people claiming tactics games are their favorite genre (no points for guessing what their favorite games are), then admitting that they dislike strategy. That's like claiming you love soccer but hate kicking things.

Kientin

I had a different experience with classes in TO as I was playing with a friend and we had a full set of generics with a very light back story that directed them as classes we wanted them to be in the end. This had us constantly picking new classes to fit them and we found it quite a bit of fun trying to fit them in our fights even though they were a low level. Also we had a no grinding policy so as we were forced to take them into story battles as they were which I think helped out as it removed a lot of the tedium of building a character back up. Made battles a lot more interesting for sure since we were constantly running with a non optimal setup. I realize that this isn't everyone's cup of tea for playing the game though.

FFT wasn't completely free from this however. There are many times I wanted to play a new hero I got, but passed on because not only they were a lower level but were lacking JP, this especially applies to characters like Reis and Meliadoul. So I usually was always playing characters from the beginning of the game. Orlandu gets a pass on this of course, but I still don't play him anyway because he is too good. :p

Gibbles17

Dropped the game after 20 some hours on account of the slowdown, pretty rad to hear the positive patch impressions. Definitely going to give it another go, not sure about the rescaling though....think I prefer the default.

scy

I haven't played a non-SCC file for FFT in so long ... maybe I should replay that way for the hell of it.

cicero

Aw man... I uh, un-CFW'd my PSP a while back. Guess I'll have to figure out how to do it again.
Link in the OP of our CFW thread will tell you everything you need to know; the process is now extraordinarily easy and foolproof on all PSP models.

It really is. I just did it yesterday on the PSP I hadn't updated since CFW 3.71 since I had always assumed the convoluted process of figuring out what to do and then doing it would be the same as before. It was the complete opposite. It was extraordinarily easy and foolproof and I am finally enjoying my elderly PSP Fat once again.

aett

Tactics Ogre would have been 1000 times better if there were no level requirements on equipment. I wouldn't even mind leveling up new classes from level 1 if they could at least wear the best gear I owned.

Also, the crafting/upgrading system was pointless, especially if you didn't care about savescumming (which only takes a second). It's just a bunch of extra hoops to go through in order to get your gear.

Top Bottom