• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions (PSP) Slowdown Removal Patch

hutna

That adds up to a lot of extra time over the course of an already long game.

agreed, and of course it's an issue and it is certainly a flaw in the port; i'm just saying that calling it "unplayable" is a little over the top. i wonder how much total extra time it adds to the game, and if someone would rather be doing something else than adding that extra time to their play time, then they probably should be doing that instead of playing the game.

i still would like to see a video with the patch applied; if it is a substantial as everyone seems to claim it to be i would be interested in applying the patch.

Oh, nice.

I played the original PS1 version a lot time ago but never finished it despite putting 70 hours into it.

Bought the PSP version, but it just sat in my backlog for a while, especially when I heard about the slowdown, which was hilarious in hindsight since the PSP had the PS1 emulator that would have ran the original game at full speed anyway.

I really should revisit my trusty old custom firmware PSP, it's been a while.

B.K.

if it is a substantial as everyone seems to claim it to be i would be interested in applying the patch.

Trust me. It's a HUGE improvement. If you have a PSP with custom firmware, there's no excuse not to install the plugin.

jaxword

Been a good year for FFT. First we finally have Matsuno clarify the ending debate of
"DID RAMZA SURVIVE+++?"
and now the PSP port really is perfected.

Now to wait for FFT2.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty incompetent of Square not to fix this themselves. Makes me wonder how well the iOS version could be running.

The iOS version runs great and has no slowdown whatsoever (on the 4S). On my old 3GS it was pretty similar to playing it on the PSP, though.

Kientin

I shocked myself on how excited I got when I read that title. I love the new stuff in the psp version so much but the slowdown was killing me. Finally FFT will have a perfect version for me. Now I got to grab a new memory stick since my last one died out. Thank you so much for the news.

jaxword

There was a vocal group of fans who have, for years, screamed that
Ramza dies and that it was "Olan's imagination/ghosts" in in the ending of FFT.

Matsuno recently confirmed no, Ramza survived (in exile), exactly as the ending shows.
He almost seemed bemused at how wrong some people got it.

Suairyu

Banned
I ended up just patching the PSP script onto the PSX original.

And then playing that on a PSP.

With no slowdown or stretching.

edit - oh, classy with the spoilers, guys.

jaxword

edit - oh, classy with the spoilers, guys.

You really think anyone in a patch thread hasn't already played it multiple times?

I'm being serious, I honestly don't think there's a single FFT fan who'd be interested in this and not have already played it.

Suairyu

Banned
You really think anyone in a patch thread hasn't already played it multiple times?
Some people may have bought the PSP game but couldn't get through it because it was insufferably slow?

Then suddenly they see a thread about a patch on NeoGAF and think "hey maybe I can finally give this game a chance!" and click for details?

I mean, if they couldn't suffer the slowdown, most people also hear horror stories about the original script on the PSX not making any sense either. They're also probably not aware that you're able to patch the PSP's script onto the PSX version, as I only found out about that thanks to an obscure post on NeoGAF in a thread nothing to do with FFT.

So yeah, I can see plenty of reasons why someone who never played to the end would be interested in this patch.

There was a vocal group of fans who have, for years, screamed that
Ramza dies and that it was "Olan's imagination/ghosts" in in the ending of FFT.

Matsuno recently confirmed no, Ramza survived (in exile), exactly as the ending shows.
He almost seemed bemused at how wrong some people got it.

LOL, I thought he did
die

jaxword

Some people may have bought the PSP game but couldn't get through it because it was insufferably slow?

Then suddenly they see a thread about a patch on NeoGAF and think "hey maybe I can finally give this game a chance!" and click for details?

If it means that much to you, I added spoilers, but really, your scenarios are pretty unlikely. Let's let the thread play out and see if there's a single example of what you suggest.

Suairyu

Banned
If it means that much to you, I added spoilers, but really, your scenarios are pretty unlikely.
I personally know of at least two people who, had they not found out about the script patch for the PSX version, would be in the exact scenario I just described.

It's just a common courtesy, man. Thank you for editing in spoiler tags.

Voidguts

So is this useless for anyone on official firmware?

not really, most custom firmware (even on 6.60, or whatever the latest official is) reverts upon restarting the device - making the CFW temporary. so no, it isn't useless if you can be bothered to drag a few files over to your PSP through a USB connection.

luca1980

Banned
Remember how SE used to say this problem was impossible to fix because it had something to do with the engine or something?

square-enix is not to be trusted!! that's the only thing i learned from them!

it was pure luck that Yazz was involved on tactics ogre remake and thanks to him it was a gem: on contrary for the psp remake of fft wotl square-enix didn't ask him and tecnichally speaking the remaked sucked (new gc aside!).
ahhhhh se.....

JJD

Been a good year for FFT. First we finally have Matsuno clarify the ending debate of
"DID RAMZA SURVIVE+++?"
debate and now the PSP port really is perfected.

Now to wait for FFT2.

Hey, let's sit on that corner together!!!

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member

I'm being serious, I honestly don't think there's a single FFT fan who'd be interested in this and not have already played it.

well, you screwed me over. not too fussed, but yeah, there are people out there who haven't cleared it yet.

Ramza dies and that it was "Olan's imagination/ghosts" in in the ending of FFT. Matsuno recently confirmed no, Ramza survived (in exile), exactly as the ending shows.
I had no idea people thought this. Weird.

Edit: While I agree that not spoiler tagging something can be a dick move, what was spoiled was people's misconception of a part of something. The actual real stuff I would consider spoiler-y has not been mentioned as far as I can tell.

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
If a fan was able to fix this issue without the sort of access to resources (programming and monetary) that Square Enix had, I think it's fairly safe to say that an official patch is completely viable. If only Square Enix didn't suck as much as they have been recently, maybe they'd care.

same here.
wasn't he shown at the end with his sister? it's been years since i've finished the game.
Pretty much.
He is shown riding a chocobo with his sister. Considering how that game kind of went crazy with the magic demon stuff at the end, I don't understand why people would think they couldn't survive. I honestly wasn't a big fan of everything leading up to the last battle and the final boss, but that exclamation point with Delita in the end is still such a great ending.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
The fact that there's slowdown at all on the PSP and iOS is ridiculous. The game noticeably hitches on my 4s, even in the tutorials and prologue. Thank god for fans. Hate the closed iOS market.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
so, I want to play FFT - haven't played since PSone days. Have a vita and will have an ipad again in a few weeks.

I have the PSone version on PSN (assume I'm happy to wait for PSone games to come to vita). I have the PSP version on PSN. I can easily buy the ipad version.

Which should I choose? Presentation, playability and smoothness are all important. I'm thinking dpad is useful for direct controls over the character, but is the ipad version well done?

I'd like to see some screen comparisons of the fixed AR, that did annoy me almost as much as the slowdown to be honest. Although it was the slowdown that forced to stop playing very early on.
Amazing work, I didn't know stuff like this was possible on PSP.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So is this useless for anyone on official firmware?

Custom Firmware:
- Takes less than five minutes to install
- Can be set up to be "temporary", so that if you reboot your PSP, you're back on OFW
- Has access to PSN
- Works on every PSP model
- PSP's firmware won't get any more updates so there's no risk of the typical firmware/jailbreak arms race
- If you can download and install this patch, you've spent more time modifying your PSP than it takes to download and install CFW

Interested?
- Update your PSP's firmware to 6.60.
- Download this: http://procfw.googlecode.com/files/660PRO-B10.fix1.rar and extract it
- Connect your PSP to your computer in USB mode.
- Drag the PSP folder from the extracted RAR onto your PSP. (so you should have at least driveletter:\PSP\GAME\FastRecovery and driveletter:\PSP\GAME\PROUPDATE)
- Disconnect your PSP
- Run "Pro Update" on your PSP.
- When that is finished, you may delete or keep Pro Update.
- Every time you reboot you're on Official Firmware. Run Fast Recovery to switch to custom firmware. The switch takes about 5-10 seconds. Sleep mode keeps you in Custom Firmware.

Kyoufu

WotL was unplayable for me. I remember getting a panic attack after grinding for a very very long session. The slowdown really killed me there. I don't even know how Square-Enix let TOSE do this.

Can someone post direct feed shots with the corrected aspect ratio vs the old?

WE892.png
vs.
T8oEM.png

xxczx

I've never completed FFT and I'm interested in this and how it works, though I don't have a PSP anymore so I'll be forced to buy FFT on PSN for Vita. Spoilers are spoilers.

RivalCore

so, I want to play FFT - haven't played since PSone days. Have a vita and will have an ipad again in a few weeks.

I have the PSone version on PSN (assume I'm happy to wait for PSone games to come to vita). I have the PSP version on PSN. I can easily buy the ipad version.

Which should I choose? Presentation, playability and smoothness are all important. I'm thinking dpad is useful for direct controls over the character, but is the ipad version well done?

The iPad version gets pretty choppy during abilities, whether they're graphically intensive or not, and the touch interface was pretty clumsy. Because the isometric angle is limited to a certain angle and it doesn't feel precise I found myself constantly working with the camera to get my commands right. I'm not sure if it's the iPad or the port but the touch implementation doesn't feel as precise compared to other games.

The sprites and menus also look straight from the PS1 version.

Now in saying that I still put 40 hours and finished the game. Probably because it was a great game.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Custom Firmware:
- Has access to PSN

- Every time you reboot you're on Official Firmware. Run Fast Recovery to switch to custom firmware. The switch takes about 5-10 seconds. Sleep mode keeps you in Custom Firmware.

Never knew about this newer developments. Guess it's time to switch to custom firmware again. Was PSn always possible? I never tested it when I was playing with my brother' CFW PSP. And when I bought my own i stuck to OFC.

krYlon

Cool, I think I'm going to combine these patches with Insane Difficulty's 1.3 patch, which apparently addresses all the imbalance issues in the game and improves AI.

Hopefully the result will be the ultimate FFT experience.

Maedhros

Cool, I think I'm going to combine these patches with Insane Difficulty's 1.3 patch, which apparently addresses all the imbalance issues in the game and improves AI.

Hopefully the result will be the ultimate FFT experience.

Looks neat. Works with the PSP version too, right?

Minsc

Gold Member
The summary of progress from the thread of the patch is pretty interesting:

What I have done so far:
Created a framework for attaching hooks into system calls, allowing me to trace where things get called.
Found out where things hook into the PSP's graphics engine.
Reverse engineered some parts of War of the Lion's graphics engine.
Unstretched the screen (in most places).
Figured out the general structure of a single redraw.
Found what is causing the slowdown.
Nullified the slowdown.

What I am working on right now:
Seeing if nullifying the slowdown has ill effects, and if so, what the best way to manage this is.
Discerning why the slowdown exists.
Locating where instructions are written from each frame.
Testing a screen unstretching patch.
Finding more places where the screen gets stretched.
Figuring out why there are PS1 GPU calls in a PSP game.
Figuring out where the halving and thirding are occurring.

What I have NOT done so far:
Figured out why the results of the timing function are having the affect they are.
Figured out the best way to remove the slowdown.
Found out where the GE lists are initialized.
Found out where the PS1 GPU calls are going.
Found out if the graphics engine is actually PS1 GPU emulation.
Found out what's causing any of the slowdown.
Fixed any of the slowdown.

Some miscellaneous observations:
The entirety of the main executable from the JP PS1 version of FFT is present in the file fftpack.bin. I can't find any traces of this file in the game when it's running, though.
The main thread for the game is called "psx_main", entailing that there is emulation going on. Given that the PS-X EXE doesn't appear to be in memory, though, this implies that there either isn't actually emulation, or they're doing JITing/dynarec for some reason. (I'd imagine all you'd need to fix is the memory accesses and offsets, and hardware I/O, but I might be wrong. That can be done easily with dynarec though.)
Very few GPU/ge calls are made per frame, seemingly always 0 (when the screen is blank) to 6. 2-4 seems typical. This implies that most of the rendering is either done all at once by sending a ton of commands to the GPU (which seems to be the case, given the mass of kilobytes of GPU instructions floating around at around 0x90f3c80), or done in CPU (would explain some of the slowdown!).
GPU calls seem to only have about 16 instructions at once (although I haven't confirmed this), meaning that doing all the rendering on the GPU in spurts is even more unlikely. This was a mistake. There are actually tons of instructions passed at a time. The 16 referred to the size of something else.
Frames are usually only drawn once every 1 or 2 vblanks, depending on factors that I am not sure of. For example, the load from memory stick screen is usually 1 redraw every two vblanks, but a lot of other stuff is every vblank.
During casting, the game only redraws every third vblank. I'm still looking into why.
I've found code that talks to the GPU, but modifying it doesn't seem to make the GPU do anything differently. Hurm.... Must investigate further.
There are PS1 GPU calls in the game that actually have an effect. It looks like there might be PS1 GPU emulation here.
The game rewrites all of its graphics instructions (up to 512kB) every frame. This might be related to the slowdown--it might try to do one (or two) frame(s) to write the instructions, one frame to run the instructions.
The slowdown is caused by something going funky in the function that detects timing between frames. Setting a fixed value for the time it tells us removes the slowdown, but I'm not sure why yet.

That's some dedication! Great news. I would have never thought someone would be able to do this, but this is a good example of CFW / the community at its best. It's just too bad Vita users can't enjoy these fixes (yet anyway).

Special J

Banned
just tried this patch out and the results are incredible.

so the best test for this is during the opening battle, when gaffgarion and agrias use their special attacks there are some major slowdowns which occur in the psp version.

with the patch they seem to animate at 60hz so even faster than the ps1 version.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Thank you, based modders. But they need a way to fix it for PSP2 owners playing it. Having to have CFW won't solve the issue for everyone ya know?

Tain

So, with the aspect ratio correction, does the game display some clean 1:1 pixels?

I'd probably get around to playing this if I could use my Vita. Oh well!

Top Bottom