• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions (PSP) Slowdown Removal Patch

Special J

Banned
so i've been playing fft for awhile now, just started chapter 3. playing this slowly and reading all the rumor and chronicle stuff to understand the story. when i played the game initially when i was younger most of the story went over my head, plus i didnt have the patience to read all the optional text back then.

so a few things are different i noticed, the psp has some messed up sound effects for things like lightning and zodiac transformations. annoying.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZG-l3g6CEw&t=3m56s

also some fights seemed harder than i remembered and when i looked it up found out that they may be based on the japanese version.

also some of the job requirements for some jobs are different from the ps1 version.

Dresden

Really the only warning you need to survive FFT is keep multiple saves. As long as you do this you'll never get stuck at a point where you can't go back and do other fights to level/gain skills/buy new gear.

To get past the early game, realize that every action gives you experience, and be sure your dudes are doing something every turn, no matter how trivial.

There's no need to cheese it, but it'll speed things up a little.

Basically you spam accumulate with every action in a corner, then venture out and one-shot people. (If you wish.)

Or try one of the balancing/difficulty-increasing mods.

I'm using the no-slowdown patch with WOTL 1.3 and it's brutally hard. Overall I really like the changes though.
1.3 was ball crushingly difficult, and not in a good way imo. I ended up converting to the 'easy' version (this was a few years back) and it was still fucking hard.
I'm still pretty early in the game but that doesn't bode well for me since you make it sound like it's going to get worse. I've read that the enemy characters level with you too so it's not like you can grind past tough battles either.

I hope that I'm up for this.

Dresden

I'm using the no-slowdown patch with WOTL 1.3 and it's brutally hard. Overall I really like the changes though.

1.3 was ball crushingly difficult, and not in a good way imo. I ended up converting to the 'easy' version (this was a few years back) and it was still fucking hard.

Demigod Mac

Just tried the patch and it works perfectly!

Much easier to do than I expected.

Can we safely say that now the PSP WOTL with this patch is the 'definitive' version of the game?

luca1980

Banned
Tactics Ogre PSP didn't have any slowdown that I remember. In fact... everything was super fast for an SRPG.

Its a shame they didn't give fft the same battle speed treatment!!!! Maybe they'll do it in the future, fft should deserve it

Iskander

Neo Member
Tactics Ogre would have been 1000 times better if there were no level requirements on equipment. I wouldn't even mind leveling up new classes from level 1 if they could at least wear the best gear I owned.

Also, the crafting/upgrading system was pointless, especially if you didn't care about savescumming (which only takes a second). It's just a bunch of extra hoops to go through in order to get your gear.

Good lord, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this - I really wanted to love Tactics Ogre, but the level-based equipment restrictions pretty much killed it. Trying to get new classes up to par when the rest of the party is only level 10 is one thing; doing it with a late-game class where everyone's 20 or above would be unbearable.

And the crafting was shit - who thought creating raw materials was fun?

Back to the topic at hand - I'm delighted to hear about this patch and I can't wait to try it.

WE892.png
vs.
T8oEM.png

I thought it was just SD. :|

GeekyDad

Man, such a drastic difference. Got this game for the PSP last year, played some, but the chugginess was a huge turn-off. Ended up playing through it in about a week on my iPhone, finishing it a couple of days ago. It was a little more doable, but going back to it on PSP with the patch -- so sweet. It seems to run about as smooth as Tactics Ogre now.

Bumping this thread because of the PS1 compatibility of the Vita.

And opening a can of worms with this question:

Having already beaten War of the Lions on the PSP without the patch and having an urge to play it again, would you rather play:

a. War of the Lions with the patch on a PSP
b. the original PS1 FFT on the superior Vita screen

Also, is the localisation of WOTL so much better that it renders the PS1 original unplayable?

I was just curious if the original is worth playing. Thanks already for your insights!

Are you replaying it for the gameplay or do you want to experience the story again? The original PS1 translation is horrible, but if you are mostly concerned about the gameplay, then playing on the Vita screen could be the way to go.

Are you replaying it for the gameplay or do you want to experience the story again? The original PS1 translation is horrible, but if you are mostly concerned about the gameplay, then playing on the Vita screen could be the way to go.

mostly for the gameplay indeed. Guess I've got to go with the PS1 original. Hey, you are not a real fan if you haven't played the original.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Hmm, that 1.3 difficulty patch sounds intriguing. One of the issues I had with FFT was that it was way too easy, especially by using some of the more ridiculous skill combos out there. Also, new content sounds amazing.

This is different from that FFT+ patch, right?

B.K.

Having already beaten War of the Lions on the PSP without the patch and having an urge to play it again, would you rather play:

a. War of the Lions with the patch on a PSP
b. the original PS1 FFT on the superior Vita screen

The PSP version with the patch, by far.

This topic just reminds me that there is no definitive version of this game. :/

Now that the slowdown is gone, the PSP version is the definitive version of Tactics.

B.K.

Good news, everyone! I have tested and can confirm that the plugin is now working on Vita if you use 6.60 TN-B!

Dunan

*Those mini-games. Yeah it's a shame they have never been fully translated.

The "sound novels" were an absolute joy to play through (well, except for the one about the little girl in the castle; that one was kind of boring), and they added a lot to the game's world. Hopefully some day there will be a definitive FFT that includes them.

I should do this sometime just so I can finish my playthrough on this version. I don't know how to install CFW stuff, though. I guess I'll have to read stuff... which is the main reason I don't know how. Too lazy.

Varth

Gotta say: this, the occasional emulated game and the translation projects like ValChro 3 alone are sufficient reasons to unlock Vita.

Top Bottom