• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter project by Harebrained Schemes [Ended, $1.8M funded]

V_Ben

Banned
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1613260297/shadowrun-returns

Shoot Straight. Conserve Ammo. And Never Cut a Deal With A Dragon.

Jordan Weisman, the creator of Shadowrun, is back and Shadowrun Returns (for Apple & Android tablets and PCs) is the game that Shadowrun fans have been waiting for a long time. A graphically rich 2D turn-based single player game with deep story interaction, meaningful character development, and highly-contextual tactical combat, Shadowrun Returns is not only going to make some old geeks (like us) very happy but it will introduce new players to a dynamic gaming universe that is beloved around the world.

We intend to follow a braided anthology structure for our story. Jordan, his partner Mitch Gitelman and Mike Mulvihill, who led Shadowrun game development at FASA Corp. will craft and structure the meta-story, then supply key information for a group of writers to weave into their own short stories, which we'll then use as the basis for our missions. To ensure an authentic tone, we'll incorporate the storytelling skills of many Shadowrun authors and designers who've been carrying the flame over the last 23 years such as:

Michael A. Stackpole
Mike Mulvihill
Tom Dowd
Malik Toms
Mel Odom
Jason Hardy
Stephen Kenson
The result should be an overall narrative that is layered, textured, and satisfying.

One of the many innovations in Data East’s Shadowrun Super Nintendo game was a unique conversation engine that opened up new avenues of conversation based upon information you learned through interactions with characters and objects. We intend on taking a similar path with a new twist or two.

Well, Shadowrun fans, now is the time to freak the fuck out.

Also, this image amused me;

ks_infographic.jpg

In addition, this;

And for those of you that have been around since the very early days, we want to make sure that YOU understand that WE understand and that we'd love to see things like this (and more) in the game.

Ares Predators and Ruger Super Warhawks (yes, with smartlinks), Maglocks and Doc Wagons, datajacks and credsticks, dermal plating and wired reflexes, “chummer” and "drek", Ares and Fuchi and Aztechnology (Oh my!).

But that's not all.

Mr. Johnson(s), Lofwyr (can’t leave him out can we?), gangers, toxic spirits, Renraku Arcology, The Sprawl, the Redmond Barrens & the Ork Underground (oh yes), UCAS, Tir Taingire and even the Sioux Nation, but most of all you WILL be saying (or is that screaming?). . . “Never EVER Deal with a Dragon!”

MrBud360

Already pledged!!! Looks like 1990 it's coming back!!! Maybe Kurt Cobain will resurrect!!! And in 15 minutes Jane Jensen will reveal her kickstarter game.

Xater

I really want to back this but don't see Mac version anywhere on the page. I asked them and hope they will do one. I would love backing this but only if I get a native version.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Well, this one I may jump on, which would make 2 Kickstarters from me. I don't know. For some reason this one seems more vague than the Wasteland one.

So I'm confused. Are they doing a PC and IOS version? Cause if they are, I'm in for $30. Who am I kidding, I'm in for at least $15 just on principle. Please god make this good

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
This is the project I've been dreaming of for a while. I loved the hell out of the SNES Shadowrun.

I've avoided pledging on Kickstarter until now, but this is too good to pass up. I'm down for $20.

mclem

I do wonder if all these high-profile Kickstarters overall would benefit by being spread out a bit more. Since DFA we've had Wasteland 2, Class of Heroes 2, Takedown, Leisure Suit Larry remake in a relatively short space of time.

There's been no sign that the high-profile high-target KSes end up cannibalising interest in the low-profile titles - quite the opposite, it's wonderful to say - but I do wonder if they might interfere with *each other's* success. While I don't think there'd be any negative influence at the "Well, it's practically a preorder" level, I do think that if I was waving around the high-tier quantities of money I'd prefer a bit of a gap before I donate to another.

I'm probably handwringing over nothing, since KS has been such a healthy source of funding thus far. I'll be donating to this, although probably not as much as I put to Wasteland 2. And, had it come out a month later, I might have thrown the amount I put to Wasteland 2 their way. But I'm by no means the only backer, and perhaps the increased interest in Kickstarter by Shadowrun fans that this results in would boost Wasteland 2 as well.

No, Cognition is a game from a little while back made with her assistance. There's a brand new venture on the way.

V_Ben

Banned
I really want to back this but don't see Mac version anywhere on the page. I asked them and hope they will do one. I would love backing this but only if I get a native version.

Questions at the bottom;

What will you do if you get more money than you’re asking for?

If the fans are nice enough to get us over the starting bar, the first thing we would do is add a Mac release, then add additional language support – especially for all the German fans. After that, we would add more people to create more content and features. And if the team behaves very, very well, we might also get running water in the office (seriously) and a couple of younger computers.

lostxii

I do wonder if all these high-profile Kickstarters overall would benefit by being spread out a bit more. Since DFA we've had Wasteland 2, Class of Heroes 2, Takedown, Leisure Suit Larry remake in a relatively short space of time.

There's been no sign that the high-profile high-target KSes end up cannibalising interest in the low-profile titles - quite the opposite, it's wonderful to say - but I do wonder if they might interfere with *each other's* success. While I don't think there'd be any negative influence at the "Well, it's practically a preorder" level, I do think that if I was waving around the high-tier quantities of money I'd prefer a bit of a gap before I donate to another.

I'm probably handwringing over nothing, since KS has been such a healthy source of funding thus far. I'll be donating to this, although probably not as much as I put to Wasteland 2. And, had it come out a month later, I might have thrown the amount I put to Wasteland 2 their way. But I'm by no means the only backer, and perhaps the increased interest in Kickstarter by Shadowrun fans that this results in would boost Wasteland 2 as well.

Exactly. I'm worried that a great sounding game might not be funded, just due to over saturation.

SparkTR

So I'm confused. Are they doing a PC and IOS version? Cause if they are, I'm in for $30. Who am I kidding, I'm in for at least $15 just on principle. Please god make this good

They have the rights for PC and tablets, so an iOS version is likely.

Munin

I'm not seeing how they can create a game of similar complexity to Wasteland 2 and just ask for 400,000.

AColdDay

Fuck yes. I loved the SNES rpg, but I would take
almost
anything Shadowrun at this point.

This is the first Kickstarter that I've gotten super excited about!

Oh hell yes I'm in.

So what does this mean for that browser based Shadowrun game that was being worked on not too long ago (I think it was browser based)? Is that still happening or did they get the rights from them or something?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
THIS ONE is getting my money.

Need some solid cyberpunk to get over the loss of Prey 2.

mclem

I'm not seeing how they can create a game of similar complexity to Wasteland 2 and just ask for 400,000.

I'm not sure they're claiming similar complexity to Wasteland 2? It looks like it's organised into discrete missions, which would reduce the combinatorial expansion problems that are likely to crop up in Wasteland 2.

The fact that it describes in terms of a 'level editor' does make it sound like it's a bit more structured than a completely free-roaming effort, although that may simply be using convenient nomenclature.

(Random aside:

One of the many innovations in Data East’s Shadowrun Super Nintendo game was a unique conversation engine that opened up new avenues of conversation based upon information you learned through interactions with characters and objects. We intend on taking a similar path with a new twist or two.

How was that unique? It sounds like approximately the same setup as conversation in SCUMM adventures - or, if you like, Ultima 7 (with automatic retention of information) or earlier Ultimas (reliant on player retention of information) )

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Why is it only 24 days for the funding or is it online for a few days already with no one noticing?

mclem

Oh hell yes I'm in.

So what does this mean for that browser based Shadowrun game that was being worked on not too long ago (I think it was browser based)? Is that still happening or did they get the rights from them or something?

It's covered in the FAQ:

Q: What is Shadowrun Online?

A: Shadowrun Online is a 3D in-browser, mission based MMO with an emphasis on co-op and PvP gameplay being developed by Cliffhanger Productions and scheduled for release in mid-2013. The game is set in the 2070 era of Shadowrun and will pick up on some of the plotlines and characters in our game, Shadowrun Returns, which is set in 2050.

bestami

If you had a relatively popular game on the 90s, appearantly kickstarter means you can get free cash today.

Not hating on it. I'm interested on some of these games and i will buy them when/if they get released. I still can't bring myself to pay for a product before actually see what it is.

Huh, never heard of Harebrained Schemes. Thought the license still belonged to Smith & Tinker. I'll wait a little bit for updates on this one. Still butthurt over the latest iteration of Shadowrun.

Edit: Oh, they licensed it from Smith & Tinker?

Azih

This will be my third kickstarter. Need to rescue the Shadowrun universe for games from that damned Counterstrike knockoff.

This'll be my fifth kickstarter, but it just sounds like another game that should exist, and I am far more inclined to support these seasoned developers making games I want than the homogenized, neutered, soulless games cranked out from what were once my favorite companies. I know some of these are going to fail, I will honestly be surprised if all the projects I back are completed, but I can't wait to see what happens with the ones that make it, and I feel like there is some real pioneering going on in gaming again.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Easily the best question in the FAQ:
What’s the deal with the “Sorry” thing in your video?

In 2007, Microsoft published a game called Shadowrun for Xbox and PC. The game was a unique and innovative first person shooter but it took way too many liberties with the Shadowrun story and mythology. As a result, the game “was not received well by fans.” Jordan’s partner, Mitch Gitelman, was the Executive Producer on the game and with Shadowrun Returns, he’s taking his shot at redemption. Let’s all be supportive of this mythic journey back from the dark side.
Last updated: Wednesday Apr 4, 8:41am EDT
I secretly think Shadowrun 2007 is the best competitive FPS ever.

That aside, I think this is the first Kickstarter that caught my attention as something that was viciously asked for back in the day.

If you had a relatively popular game on the 90s, appearantly kickstarter means you can get free cash today.

Not hating on it. I'm interested on some of these games and i will buy them when/if they get released. I still can't bring myself to pay for a product before actually see what it is.

Technically, when you Kickstart something, you are donating and getting the game is really just a bonus for donating a certain amount. It is functionally the same as pre-ordering (which is smart IMO) and kind of a semantic argument but that's technically what Kickstarter is for.

EDIT:
I secretly think Shadowrun 2007 is the best competitive FPS ever.
The funny thing is the only reason I'm donating as someone who never played the original is because of that game. I loved it and it got me interested in the universe.

wrowa

I do wonder if all these high-profile Kickstarters overall would benefit by being spread out a bit more. (...)
I think everyone fears that the kickstarter market might already be over-saturated and dead in a few months time, so everyone tries to get their projects funded before it's too late... Not especially the brightest idea, but what should you do?

Haunted

Will this scourge of great-sounding Kickstarters I can't help but fund never cease!?
haha exactly.

This is pretty amazing. Developers discovering crowdfunding could be the best thing that's happened to the industry in years. The ability to circumvent the stifling big publishers... with Steam and Kickstarter, I haven't felt so hopeful about the games industry in a while.

scitek

I know there are a lot of these coming out in a small period of time, but I can't really say I mind the idea of getting full-length RPGs for just $15.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
haha exactly.

This is pretty amazing. Developers discovering crowdfunding could be the best thing that's happened to the industry in years. The ability to circumvent the stifling big publishers... with Steam and Kickstarter, I haven't felt so hopeful about the games industry in a while.

Same for me. I get all warm and fuzzy when thinking about it. :)

Linkified

Does Microsoft still own these FASA IP's and Microsoft is licensing them out, or have these been sold to different companies?

Dambrosi

Banned
Seriously, you guys, a new Shadowrun that plays like Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines (but with better tech and more cyberpunk, of course) would be a dream come true.

But whatever, I'm sure Mr. Weisman knows what makes a good Shadowrun game better than I
or Microsoft or FASA
do, so although I'm too poor to contribute to these kickstarter thingamubobs, I'll settle for looking forward to the results.

Sentenza

The guy's sorry. Let's forgive him. :p

From the FAQs:

What’s the deal with the “Sorry” thing in your video?

In 2007, Microsoft published a game called Shadowrun for Xbox and PC. The game was a unique and innovative first person shooter but it took way too many liberties with the Shadowrun story and mythology. As a result, the game “was not received well by fans.” Jordan’s partner, Mitch Gitelman, was the Executive Producer on the game and with Shadowrun Returns, he’s taking his shot at redemption. Let’s all be supportive of this mythic journey back from the dark side.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I am far more inclined to support these seasoned developers making games I want than the homogenized, neutered, soulless games cranked out from what were once my favorite companies. I know some of these are going to fail, I will honestly be surprised if all the projects I back are completed, but I can't wait to see what happens with the ones that make it, and I feel like there is some real pioneering going on in gaming again.
This. Kickstarter is awesome. Stick it to the man! Together we will save gaming!

Top Bottom