• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

BurntPork

Banned
Well, this picture is pretty complete and accurate for big third-parties at least serious and motivated for their Wii U ports, "extended" ports, and exclusive titles using already-used-before engines.

Now, i haven't witnessed first-parties masterpieces, i can just try to make informed speculation about it :)

But we'll be impressed. Not 10x-xbox360-impressed, but not just Nintendo-on-a-1x-Xbox360-hey-look-they-were-already-great-on-wii-imagine-what-they-can-do-on-their-xbox3601.2-repackaged-impressed either. The Wii U will bring some things new to the table, hardware & graphical features wise.

We will be impressed by anything. The rest of GAF? They'll find some way to say that the effects are there to hide the weaknesses of the platform and will watch for frame drops like hawks.

Deguello

Whatever Nintendo targets will be the new "casual."

Go plumb the depths of IGN's and Gamespot's reviews from around 1998-2004. You'll see the word "accessibility" pop up frequently. "Accessibility" is code for "this game is hard," or "this concept is strange," or even "these controls are too complex." It's essentially a complaint that a game may not be able to be enjoyed by everybody who comes into contact with it.

Then around 2005 the word "accessibility" wanes and "casual" pops up. Gee, I wonder why?

I've said this before, but I wager that the new pejorative for the next generation will probably be "eastern." Wii U looks like it is taking several moderate steps forward in processing technology and stopping short before it becomes unsustainable, essentially carving out a "safe place" for development. I've heard that this will definitely appeal to lower, mid, and even a few upper tier developers, at least the ones who are sane about budgeting and don't have a vested interest in selling other developers engines. When I think of "lower, mid, and some upper tier developers," I immediately think Japan. If Nintendo can keep dev costs down enough for the lower and mid tier, they can succeed in getting some surprising exclusives, especially when dev costs for the competitors get so high that it's either make games for the Wii U or die. This, in turn would lead to an eastern influx of software for the Wii U, and that would provide a rather easy distinction for the next generation, as in, PS4/720 = Western Tech Manly, Wii U = Eastern Weeaboo Gay.

I should also be honest that I hate the idea of a hardcore/casual divide and think it's purely invented, but I didn't always think so. I believed it for about 2 years until I saw that the purveyors of such concepts were ready to throw gaming icon Super Mario under the bus to continue this bullshit division. Then I became aware that "casual" is just a way to spell "kiddy" with a "C."

Vinci

Danish
How many people on GAF had just one 360??

Me. Damn thing RROD'd prior to MS coming out and admitting they'd screwed the pooch on its hardware, customer service gave me the run-around, and I eventually sent it in for repairs, got it back, and it still didn't work.

So I sold it off and never looked back. Screw that system.

HylianTom

Banned
Whatever Nintendo targets will be the new "casual."

Go plumb the depths of IGN's and Gamespot's reviews from around 1998-2004. You'll see the word "accessibility" pop up frequently. "Accessibility" is code for "this game is hard," or "this concept is strange," or even "these controls are too complex." It's essentially a complaint that a game may not be able to be enjoyed by everybody who comes into contact with it.

Then around 2005 the word "accessibility" wanes and "casual" pops up. Gee, I wonder why?

I've said this before, but I wager that the new pejorative for the next generation will probably be "eastern." Wii U looks like it is taking several moderate steps forward in processing technology and stopping short before it becomes unsustainable, essentially carving out a "safe place" for development. I've heard that this will definitely appeal to lower, mid, and even a few upper tier developers, at least the ones who are sane about budgeting and don't have a vested interest in selling other developers engines. When I think of "lower, mid, and some upper tier developers," I immediately think Japan. If Nintendo can keep dev costs down enough for the lower and mid tier, they can succeed in getting some surprising exclusives, especially when dev costs for the competitors get so high that it's either make games for the Wii U or die. This, in turn would lead to an eastern influx of software for the Wii U, and that would provide a rather easy distinction for the next generation, as in, PS4/720 = Western Tech Manly, Wii U = Eastern Weeaboo Gay.

I should also be honest that I hate the idea of a hardcore/casual divide and think it's purely invented, but I didn't always think so. I believed it for about 2 years until I saw that the purveyors of such concepts were ready to throw gaming icon Super Mario under the bus to continue this bullshit division. Then I became aware that "casual" is just a way to spell "kiddy" with a "C."

Wow. That is as clear as day.

I've long suspected an oncoming divide, based mainly on style, budget sanity, and geography. And I have wondered aloud how our western gaming media - not exactly paragons of balanced reporting - would handle this kind of development.

What I'm looking forward to in your scenario is this: when they use the term "Eastern" - will we, the readers and consumers of this media, be able to detect a snide, condescending, or just generally negative tone in their use of the word? Because if we can detect such a thing, I think it's going to turn some heads. It'll be something noticed not just by the usual fanboys, but by many others who might be uncomfortable with such attitudes.

I don't think the division is made up. There are clearly a segment of gamers who aren't like other segments of gamers. Casual gamers gravitate toward certain types of games, for the most part. While the "hardcore" crowd will gravitate towards lots of types.

I think the words Casual and Hardcore are kind of stupid, but there is definitely a division in the types of people that own consoles. Most Wii Owners were clearly in the division that gravitates only to a specific type of titles and not much else.

Me. Damn thing RROD'd prior to MS coming out and admitting they'd screwed the pooch on its hardware, customer service gave me the run-around, and I eventually sent it in for repairs, got it back, and it still didn't work.

So I sold it off and never looked back. Screw that system.

My friend has just one. I think it's from before the revamp that fixed the problem. Luckily, I think the system isn't used enough to really bring it to heat-related issues. But it's been pretty solid since he got it.

HylianTom

Banned
Congrats!

It's been crazy seeing how many juniors have been turned into members due to these monster threads. lol

These threads are like NintendoGAF training camp. We spar and trade ideas in here, and then off into the world ya go.. just so that you can come back and hang out in here.

HylianTom

Banned
It's a good thing Wii U won't be the strongest console next gen, that means it'll be the most successful, right?

You never really know. We all saw what happened to popular predictions last time around.

I'm skeptical about Nintendo taking first place again. I also think that a portion of the hardcore crowd has been radicalized against Nintendo, never again to even consider a return purchase. This is going to lower the ceiling on their potential sales numbers.

Vinci

Danish
I don't think the division is made up. There are clearly a segment of gamers who aren't like other segments of gamers. Casual gamers gravitate toward certain types of games, for the most part. While the "hardcore" crowd will gravitate towards lots of types.

Honestly, I think the division is a personal one; that is, each of us has a certain percentage of casual or hardcore in us. Those with a greater balance will likely have the most varied tastes, whereas those that swing this way or that way heavily will have more narrow interests. This ideas that 'hardcore gamers' have very diverse interests doesn't make sense to me based upon how these billion dollar companies develop towards them.

botty

Banned
So how do you guys think E3 2012 will play out? What games do you guys expect to be announced for Wii U?

50% 3DS
50% Wii U
0% Zelda.

Pikmin 3 shown finally. New Mario. New IP(s). Nintendo Network discussed. Localizations (KH3D, Fire Emblem lol, etc)

Retro's new game is shown to be DKCR2, NintendoGaf has a split reaction.

Linkhero1

So how do you guys think E3 2012 will play out? What games do you guys expect to be announced for Wii U?

They're going to open up with a trailer for Retro's game. They're going to re-reveal the Wii U and talk more about the possibilities and features (Online, other functionality, etc). Then they're going to show Wii U games. Third party games will be shown along with first party. After that they will talk about 3DS, DS and Wii sales. New 3DS games will be shown as well as ones that still haven't come out. Before they go they're going to show a trailer for a Wii U game we didn't expect to see at their show.

Games I expect to be announced for Wii U include Retro's game, Eternal Darkness 2, NSMB Mii, Wii ____ title, GTA V, and RE6. I'm sure there will be tons of content but I'm not really sure what to expect.

I never noticed screen tearing in any game until I came to GAF.
Funny how people's cynicism just oozes into you.

This is also true with other forms of media too. Never used to notice until people started pointing things out.

AzaK

Wow. That is as clear as day.

I've long suspected an oncoming divide, based mainly on style, budget sanity, and geography. And I have wondered aloud how our western gaming media - not exactly paragons of balanced reporting - would handle this kind of development.

I admit I must be a game-racist because the idea of the Wii U being an "Eastern" games machine scares me. It's primarily because the less western-like eastern games I just can't seem to stand. I love RE, I love Zelda and Mario, but games with the crazy angst ridden characters and screeds of click-through text just rub me up the wrong way. I NEED my Wii U to get all the western games like the Skyrims, GTA's, Batmans etc.

We will be impressed by anything. The rest of GAF? They'll find some way to say that the effects are there to hide the weaknesses of the platform and will watch for frame drops like hawks.
Won't bother me. I imagine that once the Wii U is out, my GAF visits will drop by about 99.99999% :p

I expect some big hitting 3rd parties like GTA and maybe some more secret ones like Diablo III or god help the internet - Half Life 3 :).
I'm hoping about 15mins for company and 3ds talk then the rest a mega blowout for Wii U.
Retro's new game will be at least teased with a sexy as trailer.
Lots of info on Nintendo Network.
Lots of info on "apps" for the Wii U and the controller. Browser, Netflix, video chat etc.
On the show floor of course will be a shit tonne of ports or early-support titles from the likes of Ubisoft.

That would be a nice E3 for me.

Vinci

Danish
Retro won't show a DKCR sequel. It won't make sense, especially not given the likelihood that we'll see NSMB Mii fairly early in the system's life. Given the talent that Retro has been hiring, an action/adventure or FPS is far more likely - and also more valuable.

Honestly, I think the division is a personal one; that is, each of us has a certain percentage of casual or hardcore in us. Those with a greater balance will likely have the most varied tastes, whereas those that swing this way or that way heavily will have more narrow interests. This ideas that 'hardcore gamers' have very diverse interests doesn't make sense to me based upon how these billion dollar companies develop towards them.
Why doesn't it make sense? "hardcore" gamers are the ones that will build a franchise (see demons souls/dark souls, etc...), they'll go to midnight launches, they'll be involved in marketing, and so on and so forth. They're involved with many companies and many genres and the whole technical aspect of it all. They're involved in gaming communities and so on.

"casual" gamers are the ones that don't really care about the hooplah's of gaming, they just want their wii sports and their mario and they are fine. They don't actively following gaming, it isn't their hobby per se, just a way to pass some time whenever.

Once again I disagree with the words casual and hardcore, but there are certainly different types of people that play games. The people on the side of casual aren't the ones you can rely on to build franchises and so on. Call of Duty would have never become ingrained in popular culture without that "core" market for instance.

Linkhero1

Retro won't show a DKCR sequel. It won't make sense, especially not given the likelihood that we'll see NSMB Mii fairly early in the system's life. Given the talent that Retro has been hiring, an action/adventure or FPS is far more likely - and also more valuable.

I believe this as well. If we do get a DKCR sequel it won't be until after the game they're working on now is done.

Btw does anyone else remember Retro stated that they put a game aside to work on DKCR? Anyone speculate what it could have been? Have they hinted?

Anth0ny

If the "something everyone wants to see" rumor is true, I feel like it has to be one of the following:

1. New I.P (most likely imo)
2. Zelda
3. Metroid Prime (after Other M's performance, I think Nintendo is going to take a break from the franchise. Least likely imo)

Retro's game is definitely going to be something that is aimed more at the "core" segment of gamers.
If we do see another DKCR, it won't be until late in the generation.

If the "something everyone wants to see" rumor is true, I feel like it has to be one of the following:

2. Zelda
3. Metroid Prime (after Other M's performance, I think Nintendo is going to take a break from the franchise. Least likely imo)
how can a new IP be something everyone wants them to make. I thought that meant it's a franchise that people want them to work on. I guess I could see them meaning people want them to work on an original game and that's what they're making.

Deguello

I think the words Casual and Hardcore are kind of stupid, but there is definitely a division in the types of people that own consoles. Most Wii Owners were clearly in the division that gravitates only to a specific type of titles and not much else.

I'd agree if I didn't already know that the games mostly referred to as "casual" would be referred to as "arcade" in previous generations.

People do have preferences, but that's not enough to point to a simplistic bisection. Heck look at the terms used. "Hardcore" means completely dedication due to love of something. "Casual" insinuates fleeting interest and potential danger to the medium itself, which can apparently be applied to Mario Kart, or Super Mario Bros., or even Smash Brothers (It's the "casual" fighting game!) It's not hard to see the smug sneer on their faces when they purport it.

botty

Banned

If Retro isn't showing DKCR2, then they aren't showing anything at e3. I don't see Nintendo showing a Retro game this early unless it has strong brand power.

Linkhero1

how can a new IP be something everyone wants them to make. I thought that meant it's a franchise that people want them to work on. I guess I could see them meaning people want them to work on an original game and that's what they're making.

True, but maybe they mean in terms of content? For instance a robust online multiplayer game. I don't remember what was said exactly so they might be referring to a game.

If Retro isn't showing DKCR2, then they aren't showing anything at e3. I don't see Nintendo showing a Retro game this early unless it has strong brand power.

Why not? What does brand power have to do with recapturing core gamers they lost this generation? If Retro's game is something new that would appeal to the core then they will most definitely show it.

Why not?
Launch is the perfect time for something new.
The audience is far more willing to try new things at the start of a generation than later on.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
If they want anybody on board their new gimmick, they'll have to show Zeruda.
We have enough Mario and games like Pimkin to go around.

But what we have yet to have in 9 years is a satisfying adventure rpg from Nintendono.

I like the idea of new I.P., but does anybody have the capacity to create a new compelling franchise at Nintendo?

If they want anybody on board their new gimmick, they'll have to show Zeruda.
We have enough Mario and games like Pimkin to go around.

But what we have yet to have in 9 years is a satisfying adventure rpg from Nintendono.

We do?
What games like Pikmin are there?
I mean.. there's Little King's Story, but that's about it.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I admit I must be a game-racist because the idea of the Wii U being an "Eastern" games machine scares me. It's primarily because the less western-like eastern games I just can't seem to stand. I love RE, I love Zelda and Mario, but games with the crazy angst ridden characters and screeds of click-through text just rub me up the wrong way. I NEED my Wii U to get all the western games like the Skyrims, GTA's, Batmans etc.

I find this very unlikely. I think it'll get a lot of the big western games as afterthought ports... and those will probably dry up as we go into the PS4 Xbox720 era, because Wii U won't compete graphically. I wouldn't hold my breath for it to be a viable "main" console for those western games.

I think it'll be home to Nintendo's quirkiness (both casual and hardcore varieties), and other oddball Japanese titles. It will get western stuff, but not as reliably as the other consoles..

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
The way I see it....

Casual: a game that anyone can play with little instruction required.
Wii Sports bowling is a Casual Game. Anyone can pick it up. Anyone can play it.

Hardcore: the opposite of casual - a game that requires skill and determinantion.
So, getting 200 stars on Super Mario Galaxy is Hardcore. A casual player would lack the time and inclination to do this.

Now lately, it seems that some people believe that Hardcore = Blood, swearing and guts. This is wrong. If Wii Sports bowling was reskinned so that you were rolling a severed head into decapitated Zombies - it would still just be as easy to play.

botty

Banned
Why not?
Launch is the perfect time for something new.
The audience is far more willing to try new things at the start of a generation than later on.

If Nintendo is giving "New" it will be from Miyamoto. Although Retro games always appear at E3, right?

I don't necessarily want an FPS from Retro, just something competitive. I have that bit of dudebro in me.

Star Fox Wii U?

HylianTom

Banned
I don't necessarily want an FPS from Retro, just something competitive. I have that bit of dudebro in me.

My dudebro pleasure is the stealth genre.

I know that some consider wRPGs "dudebro," but I don't see it. RPG geeks - be they western or eastern - don't quite fit that Mountain Dew-flavored fratboy pewpewpew image.

{ <3 Elder Scrolls }

Vinci

Danish
Why doesn't it make sense? "hardcore" gamers are the ones that will build a franchise (see demons souls/dark souls, etc...), they'll go to midnight launches, they'll be involved in marketing, and so on and so forth. They're involved with many companies and many genres and the whole technical aspect of it all. They're involved in gaming communities and so on.

Meanwhile, the vast majority of titles directed towards them exist within very narrow themes, often invoking violence, mature content, and an embarrassingly sad lack of color. These billion dollar companies aren't stupid: They know quite well what the core market wants; the only failing on their part is taking into account the dwindling willingness to pay these gamers showcase as more homogenize titles are released. But they're an easy target, so companies keep going that way.

"casual" gamers are the ones that don't really care about the hooplah's of gaming, they just want their wii sports and their mario and they are fine. They don't actively following gaming, it isn't their hobby per se, just a way to pass some time whenever.

And yet we see games like NSMB Wii (a traditional platformer), Wii Sports (a sports title), Wii Fit (an exercise title), Mario Kart (a racer), Nintendogs (a pet simulator), Just Dance (a rhythm title)and Brain Age (an educational title) reach critical mass with this audience. To say that this lacks variety is unfair. They demand less, but to paint them as having little or no interest in diversity is a mistake. Throw in the variety of iOS titles - a segment of gaming openly despised by many in the 'hardcore' - and it's pretty clear to me that they have equally strong interests in various experiences.

Once again I disagree with the words casual and hardcore, but there are certainly different types of people that play games. The people on the side of casual aren't the ones you can rely on to build franchises and so on. Call of Duty would have never become ingrained in popular culture without that "core" market for instance.

GTA became huge with 3 because it was able to tap into the casual market. Call of Duty is the same. The Mario games, Tetris, Pokemon, etc. - all have been built upon mainstream appeal and deep sales across numerous demographics.

Army Corps Of Hell, Overlord I & II.

The vast majority of gamers have never played those games, or even Little King's Story.

But I guess you can believe the industry has way too many games like that. I mean, that's what, 4 whole franchises and 6 games?
Only two of which that had a decently sized audience.

2. Zelda

By my count, something "everyone wants them to make" means

New IP (especially FPS/TPS)
Metroid (3D)
Metroid (2D)
Donkey Kong (2D)
Donkey Kong (3D)
Star Fox
F-ZERO
Kid Icarus
Star Tropics
Zelda
Raven Blade revival

so it doesn't really narrow things too much.

A lot of people have voiced their desire to let Retro try their hands at developing new IPs, especially if they fill voids in Nintendo's current stable.

Meanwhile, the vast majority of titles directed towards them exist within very narrow themes, often invoking violence, mature content, and an embarrassingly sad lack of color. These billion dollar companies aren't stupid: They know quite well what the core market wants; the only failing on their part is taking into account the dwindling willingness to pay these gamers showcase as more homogenize titles are released. But they're an easy target, so companies keep going that way.
it's a shame that's how it works, but sometimes they take risks on certain games, and the hardcore crowd embraces it, and it becomes amazing. Should happen more often, but yeah it's win/lose.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

I'd be totally fine if that was how the new Zelda comes into being.

I know the fealing of "OMG no western developer on my Japanese franchise please!!"... but at this point, what are we protecting? Skyward Sword was incredibly "by the book" and if it really becomes an HD, next gen game, it's gonna need more.

Maybe the internal Nintendo teams can handle it, but I don't see how they are especially qualified to do something like that these days. I could see their attempt being just a high res version of the old Zelda formula, and I just don't think that's really going to impress in this coming age.....

BY2K

Membero Americo
I'm telling you, guys.

E3 2012.

Destruction.

EVERYWHERE!

Iwata will destroy everything you hold dear!

iE1qdQ9o5XhXT.jpg

2. Zelda
I recall reading somewhere that Other M finally managed to break a million copies. If that's true, it's not that far from the last two Prime games. How would this be a "bad" performance?

Linkhero1

I'm telling you, guys.

E3 2012.

Destruction.

EVERYWHERE!

Iwata will destroy everything you hold dear!

http://i.minus.com/iE1qdQ9o5XhXT.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/PMHqp.jpg

Can't wait to see this posted thousands of times before E3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom