• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UEFA Champions League Final 2012 - FC Bayern München vs. Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blablurn

This thread is dedicated to the UEFA Champions League Final between Bayern München and Chelsea London.

headerk3kp3.jpg

GAME START:

t1337453100z0.png

vM8XF.png

GENERAL INFORMATION BAYERN MÜNCHEN (GERMANY)

d0gee.jpg

History
• Strange as it may seem to those more accustomed to the slick, successful Bayern of today, when the club was founded in 1900, it consisted of eleven students, shopkeepers and office workers from the bohemian Munich neighbourhood of Schwabing. Under ambitious long-term president Kurt Landauer, the club nonetheless clinched a surprise first national title in 1932.

• After the Second World War, Bayern slid into relative obscurity and were not even admitted to the inaugural Bundesliga of 1963/64. The club's fortunes improved with the emergence of gifted youngsters Sepp Maier, Franz Beckenbauer and Gerd Müller, however, and German Cup wins were followed by an unexpected UEFA Cup Winners' Cup triumph in 1966/67.

• Domestic dominance was soon established and continued into the 1970s, when a side bolstered by the likes of Uli Hoeness and Paul Breitner stepped up another notch and claimed three consecutive European Champion Clubs' Cups between 1974 and 1976. Bayern overcame Club Atlético de Madrid (4-0 in a replay after 1-1 draw), Leeds United AFC (2-0) and AS Saint-Etienne (1-0) in the finals.

• Slowly the stars left or faded, but a new generation headed by Karl-Heinz Rummenigge picked up more domestic silverware, as did a talented lineup led by Lothar Matthäus. With Jürgen Klinsmann scoring the goals and Beckenbauer in the dugout, Bayern claimed ten Bundesliga titles during the 1980s and 1990s, and lifted the UEFA Cup in 1995/96.

• The end of the decade brought more renewal by another crop of gifted players, not least goalkeeper Oliver Kahn and playmaker Mehmet Scholl. Though UEFA Champions League glory painfully escaped their grasp against Manchester United FC in the 1998/99 final, Ottmar Hitzfeld's men bounced back against Valencia CF two years later to return Bayern to the pinnacle of the European game. However, they were denied a famous treble under Louis van Gaal in 2009/10, winning their 22nd domestic title and 15th cup but losing 2-0 to FC Internazionale Milano in the UEFA Champions League final.

6iCFF.png

GENERAL INFORMATION CHELSEA LONDON (ENGLAND)

btlql.jpg

History
• Chelsea are the only side in England who were admitted into the Football League without kicking a ball following their creation. Despite that auspicious start it was not until the 1950s, under former Arsenal FC man Ted Drake, that the west London outfit began collecting silverware. Celebrating their golden jubilee, the newly-nicknamed Blues – they have always worn the colour, though sported a lighter shade until 1912 – claimed the 1954/55 league title with one of the lowest points tallies in English football history.

• The club underwent a transformation in the 1960s as London became the music and fashion capital of the world. They became known as the country's glamour club, while on the pitch Tommy Docherty's young team claimed the League Cup in 1964/65 and finished runners-up in the FA Cup two years later.

• Docherty's replacement Dave Sexton masterminded further successes, beating Leeds United AFC in the 1970 FA Cup final and lifting the UEFA Cup Winners' Cup against Real Madrid CF in another replayed showpiece the following season.

• Anticipating glory days, the club invested heavily in upgrading Stamford Bridge, only to be hit by relegation. Staring bankruptcy in the face, the long-standing Mears family famously sold the club – and its huge debts – to Ken Bates for £1 in 1982. The new chairman eventually restored some glamour by appointing the likes of Ruud Gullit and Gianluca Vialli as manager, the latter guiding the team to UEFA Cup Winners' Cup glory in 1997/98.

• Financial problems returned, however, and in 2003 Bates sold the club to Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich. José Mourinho replaced Claudio Ranieri the following year and the side clinched their first championship in 50 years in the Portuguese manager's first season.

• They successfully defended the title, and only a slip by John Terry in a penalty shoot-out against Manchester United FC denied Mourinho's successor, Avram Grant, the UEFA Champions League in 2007/08. Carlo Ancelotti then won a league and FA Cup double in his first campaign in charge in 2009/10, only for Abramovich to replace the Italian with FC Porto's treble-winning coach André Villas-Boas ahead of the 2011/12 season.

WHERE?

Allianz Arena München

headerblkq4.jpg

WHY MUNICH? DOES BAYERN HAVE A HOME GAME?

Two years ago the UEFA decided that this years Champions League final will take place in Munich. For the first time ever the owner of the final stadium also made it to the final

clemenx

Banned
Oh shit, I had forgotten they moved the CL final to saturdays. I've been complaining all week about how I wouldn't be able to see this in the office, heh.

neutral for this one, but i'll root for Bayern since a buddy HATES them to death so this should be good :)

I also predict Bayern to win this since:

a) Chelsea has a lot of key players missing for the final(though Drogba still plays i guess)

b) Bayern literally plays at home

c) They are just a tad stronger these days than Chelsea

anything can happen though as usual!

Slizz

Gotta go with Bayern on this one.

Would love the Final to have the same excitement as both legs of the Semi's.

Brinbe

Definitely rooting for Bayern in this one. Y'all can't let Chelsea win, get the double, and clinch that CL spot for next season!

Chris R

What the heck is a Chelsea London?

LETS GO BLUES!!!!! Got to make up for the terrible performance in the Premiership somehow.

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Fixed1979

Two years ago the UEFA decided that this years Champions League final will take place in Munich. For the first time ever the owner of the final stadium also made it to the final

Isn't the European Cup the old version of the CL? Happened there in '84.

Looking forward to the match.

DBT85

Backing Bayern here.

We cannot have City winning the Premier League and Chelsea London (wtf?) winning Europe.

Askani

I'm not invested in any Euro team, but I do love to watch a good match. Also, it looks like it's going to be broadcast on a channel I actually get...so that's awesome! Then afterwards I can watch Sporting Kansas City continue to piss away their great start. Full day of soccer/football is never a bad thing.

Clydefrog

FUCK CHELSEA

if they knock Spurs out of the CL for next year, I will hate Chelsea ten fold. I already hate Chelsea 100 fold.

so many folds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom