• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google I/O 2012 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

DgC9E.png
June 27 to 29 · Moscone Center, San Francisco

GTj8b.png
Android App · Official Site · YouTube

tQyfI.png

Android has conquered the world. Google+ is the fastest-growing social network of all-time and will soon have more active users than Twitter. Chrome has left Firefox in the dust and is closing in on Internet Explorer.

But Skynet cannot rest. Google still has much room for growth, and several "failures" that must be iterated on. New products to launch, new APIs to demonstrate, and more developers that must be taught. Google is a user-driven company, but its focus on platforms cannot be understated. Google I/O debuted in May 2008 as a conference to spotlight everything new and upcoming in the Google world.

And it is Google's world. We just live in it.

The keynote and all the presentations (see below) will be streamed live and be available for later viewing on the Google I/O 2012 website and the Android Developers YouTube account. The amount of technical expertise on display is truly unprecedented, and if you're like me you'll likely keep learning more and more until next year's I/O if you keep coming back to the videos.​

9i4mF.png

Like Google I/O 2011 which split the keynote into two parts (largely, a Chrome part and an Android part), this year there will also be two keynotes spearheaded by Vic Gundotra and several other Google executives, partners, and employees. The first keynote will run from 9:30am to 11:45am Pacific time (12:30pm to 2:45pm Eastern) on the first day of I/O, June 27. The second keynote will go from 10am to 11:30am Pacific time (1pm to 2:30pm Eastern) on June 28.

Watch:

MhgH1hM.png

Keynote Day 1 Announcements:

• 400 million total Android devices out there, 1 million being activated daily

• Android Jelly Bean is 4.1

• Project Butter: Android is mostly locked at 60fps, triple buffering, smoother animations

• Automatic widget resizing and homescreen reflowing

• Notifications got suped up, two finger gesture to "expand" them and access more info/controls

• Offline voice typing, offline Google Maps

• Google Now is like Google's Siri, location and time-based search, access info in "cards," voice is a lot nicer/more human than Siri's

• Chrome for Android is now stable and the default browser

• Jelly Bean hitting Xoom, Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus, and AOSP in mid-July

• Android Platform Development Kit (PDK) will be available to hardware manufacturers and partners 2-3 months ahead of new Android versions, allows easy porting of Android to hardware

• Google Play now has TV shows and magazines

• Nexus 7 tablet by Asus, $199, 7" inch 1280x800 screen, 8 GB storage, Tegra 3

• Nexus Q, $299, Sonos-like social media ball thing

• 250 million total Google+ users, 150 million active, 75 million use it everyday, users spend 12 minutes in stream

• Livestreamed jumping out of a plane and other stuff using Google Glass

• $1500 preorder for pre-alpha "Google Glass Explorer Edition" hardware, shipping early 2013, only for US I/O attendees

• Attendees get a Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7, and Nexus Q for free

Keynote Day 2 Announcements:

• Chrome has 310 million users, up from 170 million last year

• Chrome comes to the iPhone and iPad, releasing today, same interface and features as Chrome for Android, does not include Chrome's fast V8 JavaScript engine

• Google Drive is now available for iOS and Chrome OS, latter can only read files at this time

• Google Docs offline mode is finally available

• Chromebooks to be sold at Best Buy nationwide

• Google Compute Engine, infrastructure-as-a-Service, hosts Linux VMs on Google's infrastructure

• Bulletstorm demo'd as a Native Client game using the HTML5 GamePad and Fullscreen APIs.

• Attendees get a Chromebox for free, too

GBniZ.png

• Android Jelly Bean
    Android Jelly Bean, rumored to be a more incremental 4.1 upgrade as opposed to a full version increase, is pretty much guaranteed to be detailed on stage at the Google I/O keynote. However, despite its assured appearance much is still unknown about Jelly Bean. We do know that the GSM version of the Galaxy Nexus (the one sold through Google Play) will receive the upgrade first, likely a repeat of Google I/O 2010 where Android 2.2 Froyo was released for the Nexus One around a week after it was first detailed. We also know it will include several minor UI updates and a new, Google Play-inspired live wallpaper.

• Google Assistant
    If you want the cliff notes, Google Assistant is rumored to be Google's official Siri competitor for Android (as opposed to S Voice, which is proprietary to Samsung.) This article goes over why Assistant could be a true game changer, but it basically comes down to full integration with the "Knowledge Graph" that landed in Google Search last month -- those little Wikipedia-like info boxes on the right hand of searches for celebrities and notable figures. It should also have a more human-like voice than Siri due to Google's acquisition of Phonetic Arts, and it will include a groundbreaking "do engine." It is likely to be fully integrated into Android Jelly Bean, and possibly an app for previous versions of Android.

• Nexus Tablet and the Nexus Family
    Eric Schmidt guaranteed there would be an Android tablet arriving this year that had more Google involvement than previous ones. The Amazon Kindle Fire, which runs a skinned version of Android without any kind of Google involvement, is one of the best-selling tablets out there -- mostly due to its price. A "pure-Google" Nexus tablet would be Google's take on the Kindle Fire; a $200-250 piece of kit with a 7-inch screen. While such a tablet would definitely be on the lower end of the market, Google needs to kill off the Kindle Fire quickly so that it doesn't cannibalize all of Android's tablet marketshare. The iPad can wait. The Nexus tablet is rumored to be manufactured by Asus and could be released shortly after the conference, possibly mid-July.

There are also rumors that a "family" of Nexus devices will be announced at I/O -- up to five in total, including the Nexus tablet and the next "flagship" Nexus phone. Not much has been heard on that rumor for a while -- even still, when the Wall Street Journal talks about a tech rumor, you should listen. Will this be the first fruits of Google's acquisition of Motorola?

• Google Games
    A Google+ product manager at the Games Developer Conference earlier this year stated, "By next year, we will not be here talking about Google+ Games, Chrome Web Store games, Games for Native Client and Android games. We will be talking about Google games." The language here leaves very little room for interpretation; some kind of merger between Google's three disparate game platforms is in the works and will happen before next year's GDC. There are several ways this could go down; he could mean Google will bet on HTML5 and offer a simple publishing solution for getting a single HTML5 game on each platform. WebView could render the HTML5 content on Android, and users of Google+ and Chrome would interact with it like any other content. Since he also included Native Client, he could mean that Native Client will somehow come to Android and make cross-porting Native Client games from Chrome easier. Whatever the case, games are likely to be a big focus for Google at I/O and the rest of the year.

• Google Game Center
    Expanding on the gaming focus, Google is rumored to launch an iOS Game Center clone. This would allow apps to integrate with an "official" leaderboard and achievement API, however it would be much more powerful and relevant than the iOS implementation because of Google+. In fact, due to an entire social network being built-in, the service will likely more closely resemble Xbox Live, especially if multiplayer is officially supported.

• Google+ Third-Party Apps
    With several presentations focused on the Google+ platform scheduled, there's a high chance that Google+ may finally open up to third-party "apps" to leverage its social API beyond games. The Google+ redesign earlier this year seems to hint towards this as well. Like with Google+ Games, third-party apps on Google+ will likely not be as invasive or annoying as Facebook apps have been due to them possibly being siloed in their own stream.

• Google Glasses
    Finally, perhaps Google's largest and most-groundbreaking project (perhaps even more so than their self-driving cars), Google Glass, is rumored to make an appearance in some form. Since the fruits of Glass are probably years off yet, any appearance will likely be limited at most to some sort of brief on-stage demo. Best not get your hopes up, the future of wearable computing is close, but still a couple years off.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
C0yj8.png

TY2IQ.png

• 2:45 to 3:45 Eastern · 11:45 to 12:45 Pacific

• (Android) What's New in Android Developers' Tools
      Xavier Ducrohet, Tor Norbye

• (Chrome) Fast UIs for a Cross-Device Web
      Boris Smus

• (Google+) Getting Started with the Google+ History API
      Timothy Jordan, Daniel Dulitz

• (Google TV) Bring Your App to the Big Screen
      Michael Sundermeyer, Ossama Alami

• 4:30 to 5:30 Eastern · 1:30 to 2:30 Pacific

• 5:45 to 6:45 Eastern · 2:45 to 3:45 Pacific

• (Android) For Butter or Worse: Smoothing Out Performance in Android UIs
      Chet Haase, Romain Guy ♥

• (Chrome) Chrome Developer Tools Evolution
      Sam Dutton, Pavel Feldman

• (Google+) Getting More from the Google+ Platform
      Timothy Jordan

• (Google Maps) Enterprise Geospatial in the Cloud
      Sean Maday, Mano Marks

• 7:00 to 8:00 Eastern · 4:00 to 5:00 Pacific

• (Android) Doing More With Less: Being a Good Android Citizen
      Jeff Sharkey

• (Chrome) Jank Busters: Building Performant Web Apps
      Nat Duca, Tom Wiltzius

• (Google+) Fireside Chat with the Google+ Platform Team
      The Google+ Platform Team

• (Cloud Platform) Getting the Most Out of Python 2.7 on App Engine
      Brian Quinlan

• 8:15 to 9:15 Eastern · 5:15 to 6:15 Pacific

• (Android) Multi-Versioning Android User Interfaces
      Bruno Oliveira, Adam Powell

• (Chrome) New Web Tools and Advanced CSS/HTML5 Features from Adobe & Google
      Alex Danilo, Vincent Hardy, Christian Cantrell

• (Google+) Advanced Google+ History API
      Timothy Jordan

• (Tech Talk) Running Google on Google
      Jeff Bates, Iustin Pop

• 9:30 to 10:30 Eastern · 6:30 to 7:30 Pacific

• (Tech Talk) Ignite
      Richard Warp, Thomas Park, Peter Norvig, David Weekly, Chris Vein, Amy Jo Kim, Chiu-Ki Chan, Jon Vlachogiannis, DJ Patil, Chris Branch, Chris Marks

zvfMZ.png

The schedule they posted several weeks ago has since been changed, rendering the sessions listing that was here completely inaccurate. If you return after the conference has concluded, there will be a list of aired sessions here like above with links to the recordings on YouTube.​

zWuft.png

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Excited! So many sessions I want to watch! I'm going to "waste" over 30 hours total, at least.

I forgot to make the Google Doc open source, but it is now. As always, Docs' revision history makes it pretty easy to undo any defacement, so don't bother.

Thanks for the OP! Subbed.

Will be interested where they go with Google Assistant. I like how they just don't want to make a clone of the novelty's that are Siri and S voice. Interested to see what features we'll have in JB too.

Aad

Andrex, do you work for Google? Not implying your a viral or anything just curious.

Also I love your threads <3

stilgar

Google+ is the fastest-growing social network of all-time and will soon have more active users than Twitter.

Is "fastest growing" for Google like "gaining momentum" for Sony?

Nice OP, btw.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Oh I thought yours was the "WWDC13 Preview" one.

I don't really like subtitles that only focus on one rumored part of the conference. :p

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Eh, Google Games excites me the most. :p

I just think, if something completely unforeseen gets announced and overshadows what's in the subtitle, then you're kinda screwed.

I tend to overthink these things though.

Eh, Google Games excites me the most. :p

I just think, if something completely unforeseen gets announced and overshadows what's in the subtitle, then you're kinda screwed.

I tend to overthink these things though.

I understand, but come on, what else is Google going to announce? Roboto 2?

celebi23

Finally Andrex :p I was wondering when you were going to put this up. Oh, and I'm sorry again for the confusion :p This topic is awesome.
notworthy-gif.228

gcubed

I understand, but come on, what else is Google going to announce? Roboto 2?

JB which I assume will bring some core service enhancements, full release Chrome, unification of services. They've been incredibly tight lipped this year...usually some employees slip stuff out in the lead up.

I'll be in Denver for work... not sure I'll be able to watch it live. :(

kehs

Banned
That's why Google added the ability to stream all the sessions.

Apparently Larry Page has a speaking affliction and is sidelined for a few weeks. Ironic if they're planning on that siri imitation. This probably means we'll get to hear Schmidt talk about hovercars and teleportation though.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm interested to see where Jelly Bean is going after seeing WP8 and iOS6. They have the chance to sway me over to the darkside if JB seems legit, and I find a decent phone later this year.

Zeppu

The biggest megaton at IO would be:

Jellybean released. Updates rolling out now for Galaxy Nexus, HTC One X, Samsung Galaxy S3.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

:'(

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Nice OP. How's the Nexus?

celebi23

The biggest megaton at IO would be:

Jellybean released. Updates rolling out now for Galaxy Nexus, HTC One X, Samsung Galaxy S3.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

:'(

No way Google could pull an Apple like that :( The carries/handset manufacturers need at least months before releasing an update :( And there's no way any of them could keep Jellybean a secret :/

uuuuugh i wasn't able to get a ticket this year. i had funding ready and everything. soooooo bummed.

at least i went to 2011 and got a galaxy tab

the screen has just started to fail, as soon as the warranty ran out

Bit-Bit

Also here's to hoping that Google Glasses shows up. If there's a beta, I better get in. It's all I ever wanted.

SimleuqiR

Also here's to hoping that Google Glasses shows up. If there's a beta, I better get in. It's all I ever wanted.

Google Glasses for EVERYONE!!

:::Crowd goes berserk::::

INCREDIBLE OP! Even if you do get banned I don't see the need for much updates to it - so the thread can live on without you.

Op has the facts wrong. Google + does not have the most active users. Anyone who logs into search in google while logged in to g+ is considered active.

gcubed

Op has the facts wrong. Google + does not have the most active users. Anyone who logs into search in google while logged in to g+ is considered active.

Which is the most important fact that google cares about. You are a commodity, you log in, your value becomes higher. People need to stop comparing the two as they are wildly different in their end goals.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Nothing about Chrome OS is pretty disappointing.

I was hoping Android and Chrome OS would converge over the years and make something really awesome.

kehs

Banned
I'm really excited to hear that there will only be one keynote.

GoogleTV is going to be a huge part of I/O, they've been fellating developers for the past six months to get them to make apps for it. Vizio better at I/O with my god damn $99 box.

Does the live stream work on Android?

Not sure, but if you download the I/O app you'll be able to watch all the sessions through there.

gcubed

I'm really excited to hear that there will only be one keynote.

GoogleTV is going to be a huge part of I/O, they've been fellating developers for the past six months to get them to make apps for it. Vizio better at I/O with my god damn $99 box.

Not sure, but if you download the I/O app you'll be able to watch all the sessions through there.

Its dead copernicus... its dead

TheNatural

My Member!
Nice OP, could do without the hyperbole though. Firefox and Chrome are basically even in usage in the US, hardly 'in the dust.' And Google+ basically being integrated into Gmail and everything Google counts as a 'user.'

I'm interested in their tablet move and would like to see them take on the Nook and Kindle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom