• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dyad (PSN) |OT| - Psychedelic Sensory Overload

kassatsu

Banned
header.gif

info.png

facts.png

• 60FPS, 1080p, Lossless Audio
  • Platinum Trophy
  • 26 stages (Each also has a trophy and remix mode) + The Eye of the Duck
  • You will look like this while playing:
myeyes.gif
eyes.gif

previews.png

• "Dyad is less a game to play while high than it is a game that makes you feel high." - Kotaku
  • "It's also a joy to experience to absorb, with the music and the graphics dynamically evolving depending on how well you play." - Destructoid
  • "I am pretty sure you could die playing this game for an extended period of time. No joke, it is just that intense." - PSNStores
  • "From where we were standing (with more-than-a-little baffled grins on our faces) Dyad seemed to be living up to McGrath's hype." - Polygon
  • Talking Leibniz With “Dyad” Developer Shawn McGrath (TheSixthAxis)
screens.png

videos.png

reviews.png

• PSNStores - 5/5
    While it starts off simple, eventually becoming devilishly complex, every step of the way you’ll feel like you’re in control of the most magnificent fireworks show known to man. Gloriously cacophonic, Dyad might just be the freshest thing I’ve played in quite some time.
  • Digital Chumps - 9.4
    Dyad called to mind the pure sense of wonder that would take over when I was six and playing Nintendo games in front of a little television. I was completely absorbed and simultaneously amazed that I was affecting the outcome of what was transpiring on screen.
  • GamesRadar - 4.5/5
    No matter how many times you fail, you’ll keep on coming back and diving back into it.
  • Gamesbeat - 87
    Drawing on decades of iconic gaming influences, Dyad takes some classic ideas and uses them to produce something truly original, something that deserves to be played and loved for years to come.
  • IGN - 8.5
    But when I started playing Dyad, everything changed. This PSN exclusive offers something unique and fun to the PlayStation audience, and it’s a game I truly think that a wide variety of gamers with an even wider variety of genre preferences can enjoy.
  • Really long write-up + podcast from a Gaffer.

win.png

Shawn, when not showing the game off at Comic-Con, will be in the thread throughout the week answering questions. If he deems you worthy, you might get a copy of the game a whole week early. So think before posting "why no has demo now?"

Jonnyram

Love the vibe of this game.
It reminds me a lot of Rez.
Is this game the result of synesthesia in anyway?

Also, it's my birthday on 18th July, in case anyone feels like gifting me this <3

snorggy

Question because wanting the free code and the game looks amazing and i'm broke:

What inspired the visual style of the game? Was it an artistic choice or one born from necessity for the gameplay? Or maybe a combo of both? Or maybe drugs?

guest1321

Shawn, I was watching a vid/interview where you said that the game was inspired a lot by what you read. I was wondering if you could say the same for your life experiences and if so I think it would be interesting to see how you tied them in or used them for inspiration.

Question: Can we expect this to come out for the Vita? I'm deadly serious.

this too

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Question: Can we expect this to come out for the Vita? I'm deadly serious.

Edgeward

I just watched the gameplay video and I have no idea what you should be doing.

What icons I should be going for? Are there any to avoid?

Is the objective to gain "ludicrous-speed" into plaid in the shortest amount of time?

And, while probably not, I'll ask anyway. Is there an option to import your own songs and make tracks of it?

Question: At any point were you so tired while testing the game that the inevitable hallucinations that the game caused you actually spawn off into another level?

ShawnMcGrath

Dyad Developer
Hey guys. I'll answer all (most?) of these questions tomorrow. I have to send out a million review codes tonight and I won't have time to respond and award codes tonight. Keep asking though, it won't hurt when the question was asked, and if a good question gets asked twice I'll take the first one =)

Andvary

Did you make concept art for the stages?

How many people were involved in the project?

The game looks awesome =)

Drencrom

Never heard of the game before but man does it look pretty. I'm a sucker for psychedelic stuff like this so I'll probably get it.

Questions: -The game has difficulty selection? or only the difficulty increases progressively when you advance through each stage? In a rank from 1 to 10, what rating would give to the difficulty of this game?

-There will be an option (or on the future) for use your own music (or to create it) to generate new levels?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Question: I know you didn't want it to but do you feel your tweets about Indie Game: The Movie helped bring Dyad some needed publicity?

Ah, man, this is the game where they had a crazy chair that moved around like an old arcade machine. So cool. And it comes out on my birthday. I am ready.

Barryman

Hey Shawn, I'm a fellow developer of synesthetic games and am really interested to check out Dyad. I'd love if you could explain a bit more about the technical process that goes into making a game like this.

Did you make your own engine or use an existing one? What kind of methods did you use for generating the graphics? How do you tackle the issue of quantizing game events to musical time, or is this a part of Dyad's aesthetic at all? Any other tidbits you could provide into the development would be much appreciated as well :)

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Question: What was the biggest challenge you faced during development?

NJShadow

Question: It's quite clear, based on the reactions that I've seen thus far, that DYAD is a beautifully hypnotic title that appears to cause jaws to drop (just what I'm looking for). What lasting impressions do you hope to create? Or rather, what do you want the gamer to take away after playing the game? Are you aiming for the emotional highs that have typically come from developers like 'thatgamecompany', strictly multisensory stimulation that hits a player right in the amygdala, or are you looking to pave a unique path through a combination of the two? (I am aware that there's definitely a challenging arcade/puzzle-style game here, and that DYAD isn't just a nice coat of paint with a unique rhythmic style.)

And one quick side-question: Could you reveal to us any of your influences that weren't directly tied to level titles in the game, or that weren't immediately recognizable? I'm honestly quite interested.

Looking forward to the game, and thank you so much for giving us the Q&A opportunity.

SSReborn

Shawn, What was the funniest reaction that you have seen someone make while previewing your game for the first time? I'm sure there were many more like those gifs haha

This looks like the best psychedelic feast since Space Giraffe!

My question is, was it difficult to get this through the approval process passing epilepsy tests? Did you have to make any alterations to the visual design of the game to get it through?

I'll be buying this anyway... looks great!

What was your main inspiration for creating this game?

The game looks really great and I seriously do wish you success with the game. It's easily one of the most original PSN titles I've seen for a while.

Top Bottom