• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dyad (PSN) |OT| - Psychedelic Sensory Overload

Svafnir

Honestly I am not lying when I say I have been hyped on this game for a while, one of my favorite games this generation is wipeout HD and I loved playing zone mode with all the crazy colors.

.... Dyad is like that on crack, i want.

dose

Would love a code for this, I'm a big fan of Rez and this looks like that on acid lol.
Headphones are a must :D

Really happy to see this has finally gotten a release date. Been a long drought of good indie games on PSN and I just hope it doesn't pass under the radar like Closure did.

KillerAJD

This is a pretty goddamn awesome looking game! A quick (ha, right!) question to Shawn though, how long did it take for the game to become at least recognizable to what is actually releasing? I've always loved listening to developers talk of how a project evolved, and how a lot of times what a game started out to be (if it even had a specific starting point) turned into an entirely different beast. Some devs seem to have a hard time pinpointing that "Aha!" moment when it transitions into the final product from what I've gathered, and is that the case with Dyad, or did it never really have a drastic change? Thanks, and looking forward to the game, plus it comes out a week before my birthday, woo! Hope to play it soon!

*Hope this question (or something similar) wasn't asked in another interview. Apologies if so!

Zia

Downloading now... I'm amazed Shawn managed to get the file size to 1337mb. That's sort of incredible.

I had a conversation about that last night. I'm impressed. : )

Good to see review codes are being sent out now. Really excited to see what people make of it. Wish I'd kept the build I had laying around -- it's been a long wait, and this week isn't going to go by any faster.

Excitement!

Withnail

Really happy to see this has finally gotten a release date. Been a long drought of good indie games on PSN and I just hope it doesn't pass under the radar like Closure did.

Rainbow Moon is basically an indie game*, was out last week, and it was pretty good.

* it has a publisher, so in some senses it's not indie. But when people describe Journey or Fez as indie games then to be honest I'm barely sure what the term even means any more. Dyad definitely is indie though :)

Aeana

This looks kinda interesting. I'm not sure if I want to take the plunge or not since these types of games are kinda hit or miss for me, though.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Is there a Denis Dyad stage?

eHqeo.png

GeoramA

Gotta get my PS3 fixed so I can check this out.

Rainbow Moon is basically an indie game*, was out last week, and it was pretty good.

* it has a publisher, so in some senses it's not indie. But when people describe Journey or Fez as indie games then to be honest I'm barely sure what the term even means any more. Dyad definitely is indie though :)
Don't give in to his thread-derailing bullshit. He's been doing this in every recent PSN thread.

Question: The visual style is so intense and ever-changing, how exactly did you come up with the graphical look of each level?

Is it something you envision and then try to recreate within the game or is it mostly experimentation with various graphical techniques to see what looks the most interesting?

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
I'm pretty sure that was just a rumor and wasn't true at all.

That's not why Dyad got delayed. It has to go through another set of certification for Europe. All new store graphics and icons need to be made. Translating correctly into EFIGS without a huge budget to just send it off to someone to do everything is extremely time consuming.

That's why it's delayed for Europe. And I feel *REALLY* shitty about it =( I will try to make it up to Europeans somehow.

Things always get delayed for us Euros and we're used to it now. :( The days of Simultaneous Worldwide release are over!

<< SAD PANDA!!

Yeah, missed that one, not really my cup of tea. That also seems to have passed under the radar. I guess when I think indie it means little or no controlling interests by a publisher.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Man, I've only seen a couple .gifs from this game but they were enough to sell me on it. And the dev is answering questions in here? Cool, I've got a couple.

What inspired you to go with the LHC concept for the game? It adds a cool twist on it and the actual setting didn't even need to be addressed for a game like this. Do the various levels represent various experiments or was that just a conceptual base, not a story one?

MrDaravon

Uggh money is super tight, I'm going to have to wait at the very least until the demo is out :/ This game seems like it came out of nowhere, I wouldn't know it even existed outside of mentions on the 8-4 and Giantbomb podcasts.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
This is probably a moot point for me, since I have both consoles, but why did you go PSN exclusive and eschew an Xbox Live Arcade version? Was it because of MS's hoops you have to jump through or because Sony offered support? Just curious, nothing more.

Also, I can has PS Vita version? This would be a good game to have on the go.

softie

This is probably a moot point for me, since I have both consoles, but why did you go PSN exclusive and eschew an Xbox Live Arcade version? Was it because of MS's hoops you have to jump through or because Sony offered support? Just curious, nothing more.

Also, I can has PS Vita version? This would be a good game to have on the go.

Sony Pub Fund programme. ;)

KongRudi

Banned
Uggh money is super tight, I'm going to have to wait at the very least until the demo is out :/ This game seems like it came out of nowhere, I wouldn't know it even existed outside of mentions on the 8-4 and Giantbomb podcasts.

The gameplay clips I saw at E3, made it look and sound pretty bad.
But most people who played it seems to like it, the PSNation-podcast also talked about it a few times since E3, so it got some Torgo-hype. - They said it were awesome and they hoped it had a really good demo, because it were allmost impossible to describe, and the videos didn't look that great - and even when you watched it - it were really hard to figure out what where happening even if people explained it - but when you played it, it all fell into place.
- So I might give it a chance. :-/

Zia

Question: Rez will obviously get brought up a lot as a comparison, but how much influence would you say that Jeff Minter's work has had on this project? The general aesthetic reminds me more of his games than it does Rez.

And similarly, if you and Jeff came too close to one another, bumping together by accident at GDC, or a rave, would you be absorbed into him, or him into you?

Why Japan only sees like 40% of the PSN catalogue released will go down as one of the great mysteries of our time.

Probably has to do with localisation. Most of the stuff is done by small teams who don't have the time or resources. Think Dyad is done mostly by one guy and I can't see him translating it into Japanese. What about buying a US PSN card on Amazon.jp?

KongRudi

Banned
Why Japan only sees like 40% of the PSN catalogue released will go down as one of the great mysteries of our time.

Japan get lots of stuff we don't get tough. :-/
I have no clue, but I think I read somewhere that SCEJ demands that the 'publisher' will have to have a e-mail or phone-line, where japaneese gamers can get support in their native language (Japaneese) for their game, I would guess that me a big problem for those who wants to self-publish especially, rather than just getting the stuff translated and Cero-rated.

nofi

And similarly, if you and Jeff came too close to one another, bumping together by accident at GDC, or a rave, would you be absorbed into him, or him into you?

I did an interview with Shawn and mentioned Minter...

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2012/07/03/talking-leibniz-with-dyad-developer-shawn-mcgrath/

TSA: Would it be fair to say you’re a Jeff Minter fan?

MCGRATH: I have a love / hate relationship with his work.

TSA: And his beard?

MCGRATH: I stand 100% behind his facial hair and attitude on living and animals.

V_Ben

Banned
It just gets crazier and crazier. You can turn on all sorts of visual and audio options for levels, to the point where it looks like your PS3's graphics chip is slowly dying. Its incredible.

Looks awesome. What do you do now after working on a project that is entirely you for years? Besides getting it up in Europe and working on a Vita version. Better yet, when do you plan to take a vacation? Lol.

Top Bottom