• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diamond Trust of London |OT| Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without

ibg3pQ98NBrihK.png

iboJpxj56rJ8Xd.jpg

Developer: Jason Rohrer
Publisher: IndiePub
Composer: Tom Bailey
Platform: Nintendo DS
Price: $30
Release date: August/September, 2012
Genre: Turn-based, simultaneous-decision strategy
Mode: Two-player, support for single-player
Rating: E for Everyone

Diamond Trust is a two-player, turn-based, simultaneous-decision strategy game about diamond traders operating in Angola in the year 2000. Over the course of eight in-game months, diamonds accumulate in various regions to be taken by the highest bidder, and whoever brings the most diamonds back from Angola wins. Outfoxing your opponent is your main tactic, but bribing and spying mechanics complicate things. When agent loyalty waivers, your hidden information can be revealed to your opponent without you knowing that it has been revealed. On the other hand, you might know that one of your agents has been bribed by your opponent, but does your opponent know that you know?

In many ways, Diamond Trust plays like a tightly-crafted board game, but by leveraging two separate views of the world (on two wireless-connected DS units), it also does what no board game can: secretly reveal one player's hidden information to the other player without the first player being aware of the reveal.

ibyI5sEeNvUWvv.jpg
iDFHlQsfBo3PD.jpg

FAQ
Q: Help! I missed out on the campaign! How can I get a copy of the game?
A: There are thousands of extra regular edition copies left over that will be sold through the website.

Q: Does the game require two players?
A: Though the game is designed for two human players on two DS units, an AI practice opponent is also provided for a single player game.

Q: Does the game require two cartridges to play?
A: No! The game supports DS Download Play, which means that two players can play against each other on two DS units by sharing a single cartridge.

Q: What types of DS is the game compatible with?
A: Diamond Trust works on all DS devices, from the original DS all the way through the 3DS.

Q: Will the game ever be ported to some other platform, like iOS?
A: Diamond Trust will never be ported to another platform.

Previews
• IGN - Hypocrisy's a Pleasure in Diamond Trust of London
• Pocket Gamer - Hands-on with Jason Rohrer's Diamond Trust of London for Nintendo DS

Reviews
• Diehard GameFAN - "[...]proof that a single person with a vision and backing can put out a high quality title." - Above Average Game!
• Edge - "[...]there's an acute psychological game to be played in DTOL, but it'll require time – and an extra player – to find it." - 6/10
• MTV Multiplayer - "[...]if you enjoy spending your weekends building roads, managing resources, and moving around robbers, this game will offer you something new and fun to play in a whole new way."
• Nintendo Gamer - "Crude presentation and lack of content don't completely let down what's undeniably a fascinating idea. They try really hard, though making this a worthwhile but insubstantial game." - 66/100

Impressions from NeoGAF
Really digging the game so far. Looks deceptively simple, but I find myself stressing over beating out the competition for diamonds and bribing enemy agents.

Links
• Official website
• Kickstarter page

ipkjiLdx7gTLh.jpg
ibkkRUGeniu1mF.jpg

All Packages Are Away - Kickstarter Update #8
The last two days were busy: Yesterday, two mail vans came by to pick up a total of 861 USA-bound packages, and today I spent three hours processing the remaining 302 international packages at the post office (thanks to Wanda, the counter clerk who helped me with this mountain of mail). I left the post office with a receipt that was 26 ft (8 m) long, and an international postage bill of $4,927.95.

A few VERY important things for backers:

• Those who are receiving Soundtrack Anthology album downloads (including all Limited Edition recipients) should check their package carefully for tiny download code slips (pictured below). And please follow the instructions on the slip. If you try to download the album now (before October 31), you will download nothing and waste your code! We want you to hear the interactive music in the game before you hear any linear versions.
• Packages were sent Priority Mail and should arrive in 2-3 days for US residents and 6-10 days for international residents. Some people got theirs today!
• For the 44 people who are getting just the photocopied memos: we haven't forgotten about you. You'll receive a shipping-info survey soon, and your memos will be sent out in a few weeks.

Now, some additional news:

For those of you who missed out on the campaign, the regular edition of the game is available for mail order purchase right now: http://diamondtrustgame.com/buy.php

And if you're going to PAX Prime this weekend in Seattle, Tom and I will see you there as part of the Kickstarter games program. We'll be selling copies of Diamond Trust at our table in the Kickstarter room at the Grand Hyatt (Building E), so stop by, try the game, and save on shipping. If you bring your DS, we'll even be able to upload the game to you wirelessly (it will remain playable on your DS until you power-off).

image-153134-full.jpg

image-153135-full.jpg

image-153136-full.jpg

image-153137-full.jpg

Since he said that he shipped the domestic packages a day or two ago, and I know he's on the West Coast, I'm hopeful that my copy will arrive before PAX so I have the chance to try the game out there. I'm really intrigued by this title and can't wait to see what the surprise LE extras are. Definitely going to be checking out his Kickstarter panel at PAX as well.

I'm so excited that this game is shipped. Assuming nothing happens in transit, this should be the first Kickstarter to deliver for me.

Yes Boss!

Wow, an OT.

All I know is my brother bought me a copy and already posted a pic that he recieved it. Pretty stoked. Will try it in a few months when I get back to cali.

Pic:

35B0975B-8FF5-4120-97BD-B6E5E2353F54-10212-00000AED3FBDC5E0.jpg

Yes Boss!

Looks good. I'm in europe now so won't be able to try it out for a bit.

Funny enough, I was in Antwerp a few weeks ago and my friend was explaining how the local jets in the area were huge on flying diamonds in and out over the years via direct flights. A huge diamond center apparently, a big theme of this game!

Waiting for my copy (international order). Hahaha. This is going to be an OT filled with waiting.
Not for long! My partner messaged me to say that my copy arrived at her office today (getting packages can be somewhat unreliable at our apartment sometimes, so I had it sent to her workplace). Will try to post pictures and impressions tonight if I can - a friend is flying in for PAX in a few hours, so I'll see if she'll play with me when she arrives.

i received my copy today. unfortunately i cant find my ds charger. i should have a few minutes of juice to give it a try later on though.

to be honest i mostly bought this because i think he will probably be remembered as important in the future and i wanted to support him and get something that may be collector-ish.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Just got my copies. Nice touches on everything.

Package spoiler: (is this a first?)
Those mini envelopes aren't empty guys. :)

Chopper

I only heard about this game recently. Disappointing, because I am an insane DS fanboy. It appears as though I missed out on the real deal, but if anyone here would be willing to sell their copy, I would like to be considered first on your potential-recipient list... :)

Edit: Bagged a regular edition. So, how's the special edition?

Really digging the game so far. Looks deceptively simple, but I find myself stressing over beating out the competition for diamonds and bribing enemy agents.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I thought about picking this up, but with no one to play with, it probably isn't worth it. I still like the idea of the game though.

Apenheul

I've just ordered the regular edition too, I didn't know about the kickstarter until very late so the special editions were already sold out. But I'm still glad that I'll be able to play it anyway.

Borman

Finally had a chance to try it out. What a creative game. Can't wait to find someone else to play with, don't think my wife will be up for it hah.

ES3az.png

jqzPN.png

kWkuF.png

tTv37.png

(Black space around the screen is from playing it in 1:1 mode on the 3ds, currently without an image editor while I repair Windows 7)

dallow_bg

nods at old men
You can now download the soundtrack from http://delcroy.bandcamp.com/yum

Read more at: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1443658586/diamond-trust-of-london/posts/342952

I have one unused code if anyone wants it. dallow_bg has dibs since his package was missing the slips.

Much appreciated, but I actually wrote to Jason, and he sent me 2 codes to replace the 2 missing.
He said they had left over code slips at the end of packaging up all the games so he knew they missed a few people, haha.

I think it's only for the limited edition. The soundtrack is actually quite good. The crappy DS speakers didn't do it justice.

Woah, had no idea this existed until now.

It's surreal that an independently developed game got published ONLY in boxed form in 2012. Jason Rohrer also worked on (iirc) Primrose and the Jason Rohrer anthology on DSiWare, so this was a nice surprise to discover.

I'm tempted to pick up a copy - it's still on sale now and since Nintendo is winding down DS game card manufacturing once these copies sell out they are gone forever.

Top Bottom