• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Amazon 9/6 Press Conference Thread of Kindles and Fire (and Phones?!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guevara

OB-UH252_amazon_G_20120823163833.jpg

Rumors:

Live Blogs:

NO LIVE STREAM APPARENTLY

NEW Paperwhite Kindle Updates:
  • Paperwhite e-reader confirmed; better res (212 dpi), higher contrast, more font support, sidelit display. 8 weeks of battery life (with light).
  • New Features: Time left to read the chapter or book; X-Ray of character timelines.
  • $119 or $179 3G; old Kindle now $69

Publishing Updates:
  • New model of publishing: Kindle Direct Publishing
  • Kindle Serials

Kindle Fire Updates:
  • Double the ram, faster performance, better battery life, etc.
  • $159 U.S. Dollars; 9/14

NEW Kindle Fire HD Updates:
  • rumored 10 incher = 8.9 inch screen, $299; Also a $199 7" Kindle Fire HD
  • dual Dolby speakers for stereo sound (apparently impressive in person)
  • First tablet to do MIMO (dual antenna)
  • New Features: Whispersync for games, integrated cameras, Skype, multiple profiles, Immersion Reading (audiobooks syncs with reader)

Kindle Fire (2nd Gen/1.5/SD): $159
Kindle Fire HD 7": $199
Kindle Fire HD 8.9": $299

NEW Amazon 4G LTE Package:
  • 250MB per month for $50 per year
  • $10 Amazon Appstore credit, 20GB Cloud Storage

And I think that's the big updates. Nothing about phones, no changes to Prime.

Dhx

The idea of a phone certainly intrigues me, but it's hard to imagine what it could offer to make it a legitimate competitor. But I would love to be wrong about this.

dc89

Amazon phone would be interesting. I mean, would they concentrate on build quality it would it be all about the pricing?!

I'll keep my eyes on this.

Given that I'm up for a new phone in a few months and have been looking at getting an iPhone, I'm happy to hear about a potential Amazon phone. I do love my Fire, after all.

Meier

I played around with the Nook with Glow Light and was very impressed. No way that Amazon doesn't release a Kindle with a comparable feature.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Is their really speculation that a phone announcement is rumored?

If amazon does announce a phone I hope they don't shoot it in the head immediately by putting their watered down Android 'experience' on it.

Guevara

Is their really speculation that a phone announcement is rumored?

If amazon does announce a phone I hope they don't shoot it in the head immediately by putting their watered down Android 'experience' on it.
Amazon's updated Kindle Fire and new backlit "Paperwhite" Kindle e-reader have already leaked out ahead of the company's event tomorrow, but there may be one more surprise in store: a mobile phone. Multiple sources have confirmed to The Verge that Amazon is working on a smartphone that runs a variant of the Kindle Fire's Android-based operating system, and we're now hearing that the device will be shown to the press tomorrow.
http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/5/3294569/exclusive-amazon-phone-confirmed-could-be-announced-tomorrow?

e_i

Sold my Fire but not getting another. I already have a iPad3 and Nexus 7. Going to get the Kindle Touch.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
I hope there's still a kindle option with physical page turn buttons and the paperwhite screen.

I don't like the Kindle touch interface....

kharma45

Also, I hope Amazon extend the full benefits of Prime across to the UK. Seems pretty good over in the US but if Netflix has had it tough building up a library over here Amazon I'm sure will have the same struggles so it's probably not gonna happen.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It'll be nice to see the Fire have success for a couple of months until everyone realizes the Fire is crap.

I am more excited about the new e-ink Kindle.

I'm excited. I'm ready for a new eReader.

Ars Technica
: "Hall is full, everyone is clacking away on their (mostly) Macs. I spotted some German journos here too from Stern, Wirtschaftswoche and Handelsblatt." and "Word from the woman at the door is that event will last an hour, and then there will be demo time. "

Will be interesting. Hopefully they surprise us instead of a "Hey look, our devices do what the Nexus and Nook simple touch do finally!" type event.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I vote for this thread as well, it's friendlier and more inviting.

Is everyone launching a phone at the moment before the world ends?

PSGames

Hmmm the tech sector is really amping up lately. Can't wait to see what Amazon is bringing to the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom