• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Votes: The Best iOS Games ever, version 2

polg

1. Kingdom Rush
2. Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery
3. Plants vs. Zombies
4. Tiny Wings
5. Anomaly Warzone Earth
6. Game Dev Story
7. Dungeon Village
8. Cut the rope
9. Temple Run
10. Jetpack Joyride
11. Where's the water
12. Super Hexagon
13. Fieldrunners 2
14. 10000000
15. Tower of Fortune
16. Carcassonne
17. Peggle
18. Age of Darkness
19. Solomon's keep
20. Pix'n Love Rush

These are the games I currently like most. Plenty of others, but this is what I have on the phone at this time. Hopefully a few selections out of the box here:

1. Geodefense Swarm - Different tower defense game and tough as nails.
2. Starbase Orion - Best 4x game on the platform, lots of updates.
3. Card Shark - Just about every card game you could think of in one awesome package.
4. Geodefense - Even more different tower defense game and tough as nails.
5. SF4 Volt - Shows that fighting games can work on the platform, and was heavily supported by Capcom
6. Carcassone - Speaks for itself
7. Rayman Jungle Run - Great graphics and addictive well put together gameplay.
8. Where's my Water - Very kid friendly and has received lots of updates.
9. Dungeon Raid - Very addictive, and lasts a long time.
10. Ravenmark - Over reaches a little, but great strategy game.
11. Neuroshima Hex - Very well put together board game that is very addictive.
12. Uniwar - Remember Battle Isle? Probably not, but this is as close as you will get for now.
13. Ascendancy - Not as good as starbase orion, but solid 4x game still.
14. Kingdom Rush - Super addictive tower defense.
15. Plants vs Zombies - Ruined a little by updates, but still great.
16. Transformers G1 Awakening - Limited TBS but the nostalgia is strong.
17. Game Dev Story - Still the best 'story' game.
18. Dungeon Village - Lots of great ideas, and fun whilst it lasts.
19. Puzzle Craft - Flawed, but highly addictive tile matching game
20. Vegie Samurai - Much more fun than fruit ninja, great for the kids.

lucius

1. Galaxy on Fire 2
2. Space Miner: Space Ore Bust
3. Metal Gear Solid Touch
4. Early Bird
5. Backstab
6. Bookworm
7. Eternal Legacy
8. Meteor Blitz
9. Horn
10. Shadow Guardian
11. Line Birds
12. Predators
13. Fruit Ninja
14. RageHD
15. Paper Toss
16. Mass Effect Infiltrator
17. Space Invaders Infinity Gene
18. N.O.V.A
19. Peggle
20. Spiderman: Total Mayhem

Darksheik

Here is mine:

1) Fruit Ninja
2) Beat Hazard Ultra
3) Super Hexagon
4) Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery
5) World of Goo
6) Where's My Water?
7) Plants Vs Zombies
8) Jetpack Joyride
9) Tiny Wing
10) Cut The Rope
11) Cut THe Rope Experiment
12) Run Roo Run
13) AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA (Force = Mass X Acceleration)
14) Tap The Frog 2
15) Song Pop Free
16) Drawsome
17) Fruit Ninja Puss in Boots
18) Where's My Perry?
19)
20)

Not sure if I have something else to add. Pictures maybe.

TwiztidElf

1. Ticket to Ride (ipad version)
2. Nightfall
3. Carcassonne
4. Ascension
5. Jetpack Joyride
6. Plants Vs Zombies
7. 10000000
8. Puzzle Craft
9. Space Miner HD
10. Dungeon Raid
11. Peggle
12. Power of Coin
13. Happy Street
14. Azkend
15. Pocket Planes
16. Zen Pinball
17. Real Racing 2
18. Skylanders Cloud Patrol
19. Groove Coaster
20. Army of Darkness Defense

Flunkie

Banned
1. Waking Mars
out-next-week-waking-mars.jpg
2. Squids
3. Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery
4. Galaxy on Fire 2 (HD)
5. Carcassonne
6. Squids Wild West
7. Bastion
8. Battle Nations
9. Happy Street
10. TWEWY
11. Gene Effect
12. Ghost Trick
13. Swordigo
14. LostWinds 1/2
15. Dead Trigger
16. Virtua Tennis
17. Trial Xtreme 2 (& Winter)
18. Air Mail
19. Mad Skills MX
20. Ballistic SE
Bonus
21. Space Miner (HD)
22. Angel Salvation
23. Dragon Slasher
24. Mission Europa
25. Don't Run With a Plasma Sword

1. Plants vs. Zombies
2. Cut the Rope
3. Peggle
4. Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor
5. Bejeweled 2
6. Infinity Blade
7. Reign
8. Kingdom Rush
9. Monkey Island 1/2
10. Scribblenauts Remix
11. Cut the Rope: Experiments
12. Gost trick
13. Angry Birds
14. Jetpack Joyride

1. Tiny Wings
2. Rayman Jungle Run
3. Cut The Rope
4. Infinity Blade 2
5. Real Racing 2
6. Game Dev Story
7. Where's My Water?
8. Fruit Ninja

All I got for now...

boingball

1. Civilization Revolution - Great touch version of Civ
2. Carcassone
3. Kingdom Rush - Best TD defense game on iOS (and 2nd best after PJ Monsters)
4. Ascension - My favourite of the Playdek games
5. King of Dragons Pass - now with Retina better than ever
6. Jetpack Joyride
7. Plants vs. Zombies - One of the best and the most successful TD game
8. Flight Control
9. Ticket to Ride Pocket
10. Oh! Edo Towns - First Kairosoft game I played
11. Dungeon Village
12. Fruit Ninja
13. Fieldrunners
14. Peggle
15. Temple Run
16. Burnout Crash - not very much liked, but a great pinball game in the Burnout universe (Note: Burnout as racing game would not work as well)
17. Tiny Wings
18. Azkend
19. Ski Safari - if they include GameCenter it could rise a little bit in this list
20. Pocket Planes

1. Super Hexagon - If Mr White made games instead of Meth, he'd have made Super Hexagon
2. Carcassonne - The best board game and the best implementation of a board game on iOS
3. Hero Academy - The best board game not based on a board game on iOS
4. New Star Soccer - It's not Football Manager or even football management, but it gives you that same post match afterglow
5. Slingshot Racing - A racing game that only exists because of touch interfaces, but that could exist on any platform
6. Score! - Reproduce classic goals without needing to spend hours on Fifa being beaten by spotty kids taking a break from COD
7. Skylanders Cloud Patrol - A shooting gallery that makes use of your pricey toy collection that would otherwise be gathering dust
8. Cut the Rope Experiments - More fiendish rope cutting puzzles
9. OLO - A multiplayer game that even a two year old can play and beat you at
10. Greedy Bankers vs The World - Frantic multiplayer gem stealing that'll leave you with broken and bloodied fingers.

squid

Great thread! Lots of games to look up.

Is Phoenix Wright well suited to iOS? I've never played the series before, but it sounds cool and since this is the first game in the series (and only $5), I'm considering giving it a go.

Also, anyone played Fieldrunners 2? I like TD games (especially Kingdom Rush and Bloons TD) and have heard this is a good one.

Should have my list up soon.

Zia

I'll add descriptions when and if I have time. I just wanted to get a vote in before I forgot:

1. Beat Sneak Bandit - A puzzle-platformer-cum-(the best)rhythm game (I've ever played). Whip-smart, brimming with creativity and style, it would be perfectly at home in the Dreamcast library. Not that the Dreamcast had anything this good...
2. Super Hexagon - Gaspar Noé does competitive eating.
3. Carcassonne - A perfect edition of a near-perfect game. It has a chunkiness, a tactility to it. You can feel the game, smell it as you lift the lid off the box. TheCodingMonkeys have a deep understanding of what makes a virtual board game worthwhile.
4. Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer - Pacey and risk-rewarding play transcend its interface issues to make this outsider art MtG the most addictive asynchronous game on iOS.
5. Canabalt - The definitive version of the definitive endless runner.
6. SpellTower - A master class in graphic design and the most versatile word game on iOS.
7. Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP - Just walking? No, but still a feeble adventure game that creaks under expectations created by glorious A/V. Flawed, but still essential.
8. Lost Cities
9. Ziggurat - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7IpSBSgtbs
10. Rayman Jungle Run

MasLegio

Banned
1. Plants vs Zombies
2. Kingdom Rush
3. Death Rally
4. Zen Pinball
5. Hook Champ (old game, if you do not know of this and have not played it is is your obligation to download and play it immediately)
6. Fairway Solitaire
7. PuzzleBobble
8. PuzzleQuest ch 1+2
9. Pac Man CE
10. Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2

would it not be better with a nomination thread, count number of mentions and then have a proper vote thread?

TrutaS

1. Megamall Story
2. Jetpack Joyride
3. Game Dev Story
4. Mage Gauntlet
5. 4 Elements
6. Dungeon Village
7. Mikey Shorts
8. Sentinel 3
9. Fairway HD
10. Tower Defense HD
11. 7 Wonders: World Tour
12. SpellSword
13. Tiny Wings
14. Gardenscapes HD
15. Fruit Ninja
16. Hero academy
17. Monsters ate my Condo
18. The World Ends With You
19. Pocket Academy
20. Solitaire

Mind that this isn't a list of the games I recognised to have the best quality ( I wouldn't consider most casual games) but rather the list of games I obsessed more about. The order was determined by order of remembering, which is as good a parameter as any.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I really want to check out ZiGGURAT but it doesn't seem to be available in the US right now. What's up with that?

Some favorites of mine. Outside of Doom Classic, all of these are 60 fps. In fact, 95% of the games I keep on my phone at 60 fps.

Sonic CD - Without a doubt my most played iOS game. For me, it's the incredible time trial mode in which the objective is to bring your overall time under 25 minutes for the entire game. I found a new appreciation for Sonic CD that I never had. It even handles beautifully with a touchscreen, amazingly enough.

Dynamite Jack - A surprisingly awesome stealth puzzle game. The controls, level design, and feel of the game are all spot on. It doesn't look like much from shots, but it's a really slick game.

Super Crate Box - As hard as this is I am stunned by how well it plays with a touch screen. Love the hell out of it. More importantly, the iPad version works great with the iCade making this one of the best games to play using that setup.

Grim Joggers - One of my favorite runners. The inclusion of multiple characters all running together makes for an interesting addition to the genre but it's the excellent random level generation, amazing music, and great visuals that really pull you in. I've had a ton of fun with this one.

Edge EX - One of the best games on iOS. Basically Marble Madness in cube form with a really slick presentation.

Darius Burst - A wonderful PSP shooter translated well to iOS. Extra modes, improved visuals, and great controls are all part of the package. Cave shooters are great too but they look rather poor on the high-res phone screens and resort to ugly scaling. If you enjoy horizontal shooters give this a shot.

Hook Worlds - My favorite of the Hook games.

Doom Classic - The best translation of an FPS to a mobile device. If you setup the control properly you end up with a unique feeling game. You use your thumb to slide the character around the environment. It has just the right momentum that you feel as if you have perfect control. The fact that it does NOT use dual stick controls make a world of difference here.

Mos Speedrun - A great platformer with a lot of challenge. Also supports iCade.

Rayman Jungle Run - A translation of Rayman Origins to iOS. Focuses on timing based levels and quick reflexes. This is how you bring a franchise over to a touchscreen. The actual Origins game would never work here but this just plays great!

There are loads of other great iOS games as well, of course.

bjork

I'm somewhat out of the loop because I still use a 2nd generation touch, but based on what I've played:

1. Solitaire - I use the mobileware one almost daily, it's just solitaire but I like it
2. Canabalt - simple and great for short plays, easy controls, perfect for the device
3. Game Dev Story - not really sure why, other than it's just fun and nice
4. Arctopia - fun Fire & Ice clone
5. Sword and Poker 2 - took the best parts of the first and made a better and longer game
6. Fishtropolis/Textropolis - simple word games that are good time killers

Getting an iphone in the mail this week, looking forward to playing more recent things, and enough so I can actually have a top 10.

Dusky

1. Cut the rope
2. Jetpack Joyride
3. Super Hexagon
4. Fruit Ninja
5. Ghost Trick
6. The World Ends With You: Solo Remix
7. Infinity Blade 1/2
8. Tiny Tower
9. Angry Birds
10. Plants vs Zombies
11. Temple Run

May add more later...

Elf Defense

1. Jetpack Joyride - Most played IOS game. Just a well polished endless runner. Currently in the #800's on the leaderboards.
2. GoatUp - Fun and trippy. It feels like an arcade classic, but it's a new idea.
3. Groove Coaster - Nice presentation and good music. Would recommend to anyone.
4. Ascension - I have yet to play online, but this is always fun for a random game or two.
5. Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords - I believe they no longer sell this. One of my most played games, but can be tedious.
6. Coin Drop! - Surprised that I'd put this one so high, but I had a lot of fun beating old scores. I was in the top 100 before I stupidly removed myself.
7. Hot Springs Story - My first Kairosoft game. Played the game obsessively until I beat it. The only other game I've bought from them since is Pocket Academy and that seemed samey.
8. Beat Hazard Ultra - Good way to listen to some new tunes while enjoying cool visuals.
9. Sid Meier's Pirates! - One of my first iPad games. Feels like a complete game because it is. Dancing was surprisingly the most fun part.
10. 10000000 - Great game while it lasts (about 5 hours)
11. Ticket to Ride - I only have the Pocket edition because it was free so my playing has been limited. Once I have the iPhone I will play this one a lot.
12. Wooords - The best word game concept for a touch interface
13. Caylus - I've only played a few games agaisnt the computer (which destroys me), but I can tell this will be permanent on my iPad.
14. Monsters Ate My Condo - Fun game, but goes on too long. Sequel sounds like it fixed that issue, but I don't like IAP.
15. Death Rally - Fun game while it lasts. It's hard to have perfect touch controls in a game of this type. They've done a good job.
16. Words with Friends HD - It's Scrabble. I play it from time to time with the gf.
17. SpellTower - Just picked up thanks to Starbucks.
18. Zen Pinball - ZP is one of my favorite games on PS3 and this product seems to function just as well, but I still mostly play on console.
19. Carcassonne - I still need to try this online so I have little to say. UI seems very nice.
20. Elf Defense - It's fun, but it's clear they want you to buy things. I got half way through the Hard Missions before deleting the whole thing.

hyp

1. ziggurat - one of the most simple high score attack shooters yet a true test of skill. it never leaves my phone.
2. x-baseball - one of the most simple home run derby style games, purely high score attack
3. happy street - i usually hate these f2p style "build your town" type of games but this one has style and charm.
4. amazing breaker - similar mechanics to bust-a-move and pool except youʻre launching projectiles to break glass objects.
5. power of coin - coin pushing crack w/ powerups!
6. space miner - space shooter with subtle rpg elements that has a lot of longevity.
7. sword & sworcery - pixely adventure game with a unique universe.
8. jetpack joyride - endless runner with the right amount of upgrades and ranking system to keep you comin for more.
9. infinity blade 1/2 - the definitive iOS hack and slasher.
10. temple run - another endless runner with a unique twist via its turning and jumping mechanic.
11. junk jack
12. trainer drop
13. groove coaster
14. super hexagon
15. rayman jungle run
16. aquaria (iPad)
17. skylanders cloud patrol
18. 10000000
19. mr. aahh!!
20. waking mars

will continue to add comments – and possibly change my mind :p

1. Bug Princess 2 - My favorite of the Cave games on iOS. Bug Princess 2 Black Label might be better, but to be honest I can't tell a difference and this one is half the price.
2. Squids - Surprisingly well done turn based strategy/action game with an even more suprisingly solid story.
3. Pinball Collection - Hands down the best pinball game on iOS with very reasonably priced tables. Zen pinball doesn't come close.
4. Ghost Trick - Incredible game that more people need to play.
5. The World Ends With You - Lots of thought and love was put into this port and it shows.
6. Disc Drivin' - Best asynchronous multiplayer on the platform (sorry Carc).
7. Super Hexagon - One of the rare games where you can feel yourself gradually getting better. Kickass music.
8. 9 Ball+ - Probably my most played game on iPhone 4. Superb twist on multiplayer 9 ball.
9. Dodonpachi Resurrection - My second favorite Cave shooter. Surprisingly accessable and gorgeous gameplay.
10. Pocket Academy - My favorite of the Kairosoft games. Deceptively difficult, and rewards proper planning.
11. Layton Brothers: Mystery Room - Layton flavored Phoenix Wright style game. I've only played through %60 of this so far, but if the last couple of missions are like the first couple, this game will be in my top 5.
12. League of Evil 1 - Great Super Meatboy-esque platformer. Better than the sequel in nearly every way.
13. Sword & Poker 2 - Ugly as sin but absolutely delightful game.
14. Final Fantasy Tactics - A not-too-shabby port of a spectacular game.
15. Soul Calibur - The best fighting game on iOS. Soul Calibur works very well on the touch screen. I wish there were matchmaking.
16. Bastion - Though I don't think the controls translated to the touch screen work nearly as well as some proponents claim, this is one of the best experiences to be had on the iPad or gaming in general.
17. Ticket to Ride - My favorite board game on iOS. Wish the iPad version had asynch so I could actually play it more than once a month.
18. Plants Vs Zombies - Nothing really needs to be said.
19. Final Fantasy III - Solid port of a fun but tragically flawed version of the game. Still had a blast.
20. Epic Astro Story - My 2nd favorite Kairosoft game. Brings some interesting new twists to the Kairosoft formula.

hyp

looking at these lists made me realize how diverse iOS gaming has come from the early days. crazy it just keeps getting better.

Booter

1) super hexagon - innovative, addicting, it completely makes proper use of the ios device's capabilities in a wonderful way
2) dungeon raid - incredibly addicting, the best roguelike on ios (imo)
3) jetpack joyride - extremely polished, a joy to play.
4) power of coin - less a game and more of a mind-control device, created by yuji naka's company PROPE

mza_5559909027512160075.320x480-75.jpg

5) pexer's tower - best played on an ipad, this ignored indie game has some great music and interesting gameplay

mza_1246066178910239936.320x480-75.jpg

i dont think i even have 20 games on my iPad, i'll just go for top 10. All these are highly recommended :D

1. Super Crate Box
2. Death Rally
3. Canabalt
4. Pinball Dreams
5. Getaway
6. Elder Sign
7. Robot Unicorn HD
8. DodonPachi Resurrection
9. Pinball Arcade
10. League of Evil

deim0s

Let's see here:

1. Ascension - Deck building game, fast UI makes it easy to play - a great port to IOS.
2. Carcassone
3. Game Dev Story - How can you not play this? Be a dev for a day!
4. DoDonPachi Ressurection - Bullet hell on the iPhone? Yes, pls.
5. Espagaluda II - Same as above.
6. Kingdom Rush - Not really a fan of TD games, but this made me play one.
7. Ticket to Ride Pocket - Excellent translation from the board game to the phone.
8. Nightfall
9. Magic The Gathering 2013 - MTG crack on the phone.
10. Grand Prix Story - more from Kairo Soft.
11. Sword & Sworcery - pixel art and awesome atmosphere/music.
12. Infinity Blade - swipe left, swipe right, swipe left, swipe, swipe swipe!
13. Real Racing 2
14. Groove Coaster
15. Starbase Orion - 4x Space strategy game.
16. Space Invaders Infinity Gene
17. Secret of the Monkey Island 1/2 - Nostalgic reasons.
18. Worms 2 Armageddon
19. Sid Meier's Pirates!
20. Summoner Wars - Crash-prone on my end, what's Hero Academy?

Never knew I could list 20 games, half of it ain't on my IOS device anymore - only the top 10 and 15.

J0dy77

Ziggurat's been mentioned a ton of times in this thread and it's not available on the US store? What gives?

shira

Diablo needs to be on iOS eventually

1. Civilization Revolution
2. Chrono Trigger
3. Phoenix Wright
4. GTA: Chinatown Wars

All ports, but that's what I want. Decent games, decent graphics, cheap price. Cross compatible. Pick up and play.

vidcons

Banned
1. Ziggurat - It's the most amazing response to any argument about touchscreen videogame controls and game design. Looks great and is addictive as hell.

2. Canabalt - Creators of Ziggurat had great things to say about this one for good reasons. Namely, it kicks ass.

3. The Blocks Cometh - Imagine Tetris has co-op mode. One person plays tetris like normal and the other controls a character dodging the blocks and climbing up. It's pretty sweet.

4. Beat Hazard ULTRA - It's no Geometry Wars but when you want to listen to music and fiddle with your fingers, Play. This. Game. Comes with a lazy one-stick mode for those who are not up to the challenge of using both thumbs for all of Jethro Tull's Thick As A Brick.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Diablo needs to be on iOS eventually

1. Civilization Revolution
2. Chrono Trigger
3. Phoenix Wright
4. GTA: Chinatown Wars

All ports, but that's what I want. Decent games, decent graphics, cheap price. Cross compatible. Pick up and play.

Why did you post that scary pic? wtf dude.

And uh, I had no idea ZiGGURAT was delisted. Sorry dudes...I have no idea why? Toucharcade forum noticed it a couple days ago so it must be recent

massoluk

Banned
Not listing anything yet. So that game I always saw on the subway is called Temple Run, huh? I swear to god that's the only game I see people play on the subway in the past few months.

Ikon

1. Plague Inc - Pretty much the only game I play on my iPhone anymore. If anyone knows of any similar games or just a tip of what I might like if I like this then please notify me!
2. Canabalt - Love the graphics and music. The gameplay is sweet too although I've played it so much by now that I'm quite tired of it.
3. Tiny wings - Trying to get as long a fever as possible is great fun and the feeling you get when you're doing well is fantastic.
4. Chrono Trigger - The SNES version is one of the absolute best games I've ever played. The iPhone version is inferior IMO but there's still a ton of greatness there.

I have only been playing iOS games for a less than a year, so a lot of my picks are probably already there/used last year, but that speaks to the quality of releases. My backlog is SO huge that I’m still playing year old games!

1. Cut the Rope- this is the game that made me fall in love with iOS as a gaming system. Simple, intuitive, addicting, charming, physics based puzzle game. Way more creative and enjoyable than something like Angry Birds. I LOVE this game. If one of my friends gets an iDevice I usually gift them this game. SO GOOD.
    GW4ul.jpg
  2. Game Dev Story – Quite literally video game crack. From the first second I opened the game I didn’t put it down for something like 6 hours later. Love the idea of being my own game developer. One of my all time favorites.
    jjBFL.jpg
  3. Plants vs. Zombies – Completed it on PC. Completed it on X360. Close to completing it again on iPhone. Will complete again on iPad. It’s just THAT good.
    joHK4.jpg
  4. Kingdom Rush – Awesome TD game. Love the art style, the humor, the game play. Everything about it rocks.
    fhkfS.jpg
  5. Squids – I really fell in love with this game. Fantastic soundtrack, engaging story, beautiful visuals and a lite-rpg element that makes this game a joy to play.
    EVaZo.jpg
  6. Where’s my Water – Thought it looked stupid (still not a fan of its art style) but ended up loving it. I’m still trying to collect everything and play through all the levels. TONS of content for .99
  7. Infinity Blade – Awesome! Amazing looking game, fun punchout-esque game play.
  8. Power of Coin – Definitely not for everyone, but my god, while I was playing it I was HOOKED. No real game play to speak of, and it’s hard to put my finger on why I enjoyed it so much but I did.
  9. Pocket Frogs – One of the first games I downloaded. Not for everyone as it’s just like a frog breeding game but it appeals to my collective nature. I have been playing this almost every day for a year and I still only have around 1750 of the 19,000 possible frogs.
  10. Temple Run – Best endless runner (imo). Hate the art style but it’s functional for what it sets out to accomplish. Has an insanely addictive “Just one more run” type hook and is at its best when your competing against friends high scores.
  11. Run Roo Run – Not really a runner, more of a fun little time trial course. Normal levels are easy and extreme levels are punishingly tough but it’s a great game all around. I was number 1 in one of the chapters and top 10 in several other ones before people started cheating :(
  12. Jetpack Joyride – finely polished endless runner type game, but with so so so much more content than most.
  13. Ticket to Ride Pocket – played this asynch for months before burning out a bit. Loved it.
  14. Scribblenauts Remix – Love the creativity, have more fun setting up scenarios in the home screen than I did the actual game for the most part. This is really the type of game that would benefit from free weekly levels though.
  15. Tiny Wings HD – Beautiful, simplistic, fun.
  16. Tiny Tower – Not really a game, but it has had me hooked for months now
  17. Dead Trigger – Awesome graphics, tons of unlockables, fun gameplay all for free? Great deal
  18. Turf – Honestly I like the idea of Turf more than I like the game itself. This is mainly due to me living in area that doesn’t have a super high concentration of people. The game has amazing potential if everyone with a phone played though. Fun and humorous presentation
  19. Magic Piano – I don’t know if this even counts but it makes me want to actually learn to play the piano. It’s a Guitar Hero esque game for piano. Its annoyingly obvious that they expect you to buy IAP for a bunch of songs but the song list is incredibly solid and its fun to master.
  20. Angry Birds – Honestly Angry Birds irks me. I’m sick of the over exposure, I’m sick of the fact that people with iDevices will pick this game over the 100s of better options but I just cant leave it off the list due to the sheer volume of content packed in for only .99. Its just staggering.

All mine played on iPhone 4s

1) Galaxy on fire HD - Great space sim. Follow the story or just trade, mine and merc your way to better ships and weapons, looks amazing too.

2) Plants V Zombies - Best tower defence ever

3) Civilisation Rev - Civilisation simplified and works perfect on touch. Really like this version.

4) Mage Gauntlet - best virtual controls yet with cool retro graphics and gameplay

5) Beat Hazard Ultra - twin stick space shooter that changes to your music. Will make eyes bleed.

6) Super Brothers - Sword and Sorcery - more an experience than a game but everyone should try it. Loved every minute of it

7) Rayman jungle run - Platforming on IOS done perfectly.

8) Dead space - actually a bit creepy if you play it in the dark and with head phones. Sure it nothing compared to its console brothers but it controls really well and looks fairly decent.

9) Crazy Hedgy - One of my fav 3d platformers on the system. Controls using the gyro and works really really well.

10) Lost winds 1 and 2 - looks great, plays great, nice little story and touch mechanics that feel natural

11) Anomaly Warzone earth - tower attack game. Works really well and looks awesome.

12) World of Goo - make bridges and stuff out of goo balls and get them to the pipe.

13) Shadow Gun - borrows heavily from gears of war. looks great. plays pretty well as well.

14) The walking dead - Its the walking dead game..... its awesome.

15) Bejewled - one of the best and most popular match 3 games out there.

16) Dungeon Raid - really good puzzle rpg. can lvl up and stuff to.

17) Aralon - 3d RPG that looks and plays really well. Bit rough around the edges but I really liked this.

18) Rimelands - turn based isometric rpg. Really good fun. Dice rolls and everything.

19) Final Fantasy 3 - DS version in HD

20) Sonic and Sega all star racing - as long as you dont use gyro steering it plays really really well.

edited to lower it to 20 and add numbers... oops

1. Carcassonne
2. Ascension
3. Le Havre
4. Kingdom Rush
5. Summoner Wars
6. Junk Jack
7. Lost Cities
8. 10000000
9. Infinity Blade
10. Elder Sign

PFD

1. King of Dragon Pass - amazingly deep strategy game, and the UI is far better than the old PC version, especially on iPad
2. SpaceChem - extremely rewarding when you finally solve a puzzle
3. Osmos HD - very soothing puzzle game, and looks spectacular on the new iPad
4. Scribblenauts Remix - tons of random fun, never gets old
5. Windosill - short but sweet, very fun to replay with different friends and see their reactions
6. Contre Jour - great soundtrack, awesome puzzles
7. Starbase Orion - best iOS 4X title, with great dev support
8. Spelltower - awesome word game
9. PuzzleQuest 2 - a great take on match-3 with RPG elements
10. League of Evil 2 - best 2D platformer on iOS imo
11. Crazy Hedgy - best 3D platformer
12. Ravenmark - great TBS with deep mechanics and elaborate story
13. Hunters 2 - great TBS
14. Cursed Treasure HD - my fav tower defense on iOS
15. Tilt to Live HD - flawless use of tilt mechanics
16. Super Hexagon - can be hard to get into, but amazing once you get 'in the zone'
17. Aquaria - beautiful 'metroidvania' for the iPad
18. Galaxy on Fire 2 HD - a fun space shooter with sick graphics
19. Slide HD - you'll never find a better same-device coop game for 4+ people
20. Avadon HD - awesome isometric RPG

Will probably edit this list before Saturday, wanted to post it now incase I forget.

1. Peggle
2. Bring Me Sandwiches!!!
3. Whale Trail
4. Temple Run
5. Dungeon Raid
6 .NBA Jam
7. Words with Friends
8. Monsters Ate My Condo
9. GTA III
10. Tilt To Live

11. Fortune Street
12. Squids
13. Super Crate Box
14. Real Racing 2
15. Sword & Sworcery
16. Reckless Getaway
17. Wimp: Who Stole My Pants
18. Bike Baron
19. Jet Car Stunts
20. MiniSquadron

Mikeside

1. Tiny Wings - One word: Charm. More Words: This game has an abundance of charm. It's also addictive as fuck. I love the music, the art and the "yaaahhhoooooo"
2. Game Dev Story - Again, so addictive. Though I hate when my Mushroom MMO series fails to break 10m sales :(
3. McPixel - I fucking love McPixel because *explodes*
4. Sword & Poker - I think this may have been the first iOS game I really enjoyed, but I still come back to it and its sequel fairly often.
5. Tilt to Live - Who'd have thought that the thing to perfect the twin-stick shooter genre would be getting rid of the sticks? Genius.
6. Battleheart - Give me Battleheart 2 with more loot and on a larger scale & I can die happy.
7. Rayman: Jungle Run - Gorgeous little platformer/endless runner.
8. Extinction Squad - Love the art, love the humour and the gameplay keeps me coming back. Love love love.
9. Monsters Ate My Condo - Again, it's all about the character and the simplicity of play. They really could make a cartoon about this game. I'd watch it religiously.
10. Fruit Ninja - An obvious classic. I love slicin' me some fruits. It's like a better, more streamlined version of Metal Gear Rising. Probably.
11. Dead Space - Despite the controls frustrating me, this is obviously a really well put together game in a series I love.
12. Space Miner: Space Ore Bust - One of the first games I played on iOS. Where's the damn sequel?!
13. Total War: Battles - The full titles intimidate me like you wouldn't believe so I'm glad this is such an accessible little gem.
14. Elder Sign: Omens - I imagine this is a fantastic boardgame, but to me it'll always be a solo game of shitting myself on my last doom counter.
15. Trainyard - I think a gaffer made this? Love the art and the puzzles are great fun too.
16. Burnout Crash - Not sure what I love about this so much, but there it is.
17. Cut the Rope - Everyone I know loves this game and it's not hard to see why - it's like a Mario game in that it introduces a gimmick and plays with it until it's just about to get boring, then it swaps it up for something new.
18. Super Crate Box - The only frustrating thing about this game is that I set a high score that I've come nowhere near to beating in months.
19. Reckless Racing 2 - Was a toss up between Real Racing 2 and this, but this is just so much more fun to play, at the end of the day.
20. Sword & Sworcery - OK, it might seem stuffed up its own arse at times, but this is a gorgeous, fantastic game to play.

iceatcs

1. Kingdom Rush
2. Squids & Squids Wild West.
3. Battleheart
4. Lost Winds 1 & 2
5. Walking Mars
6. Aquaria
7. Shellrazer
8. Dynamite Jack
9. Galaxy of Fire 2 HD
10. Brainsss

I will update more and each comment later when I with iPad soon.

lucius

LostWinds 1/2, Squids games and Crazy Hedgy seem like games I would really like, never even heard if them before. Will add to Appshopper list and a few others.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Hey people! This is technically the last day to vote, so get to it! I'll probably do the roundup tomorrow so get your votes in!

Tizoc

My fav. iOS games in no particular order:
1- Treasures of Montezuma 3: Got addicted to it playing on the Vita and the iOS ver. is just as fun, unlocking stuff and playing to earn a high score is fun too.

2- Ghost Trick: Plays just as good as the NDS ver. and I decided to double dip, in case someone else was playing on the NDS.

3- Run Roo Run: A simple platformer with nice graphics and music. Currently free as of this post.

4- Rayman Jungle Run: Similar to Run Roo Run, and getting 100% in each stage is a challenge

1. Carcassonne
2. Jetpack Joyride
3. Super Hexagon
4. Broken Sword
5. The Last Express
6. Ticket To Ride
7. Superbrothers Sword & Sworcery
8. World of Goo
9. Summoner Wars
10. Kingdom Rush
11. Plants Vs Zombies
12. Pulse
13. Groove Coaster
14. Beat Sneak Bandit
15. Pinball Arcade
16. Ziggurat
17. Angry Birds: Space
18. Bean's Quest
19. The Walking Dead
20. Super Crate Box

Enco

1. Jetpack Joyride - My most played iOS game. Hell, I've played it more than lots of retail games. Great fun.

YM5Lg.jpg

2. Fruit Ninja - Another brilliant game from HalfBrick. Lots of great updates and several awesome modes and things to unlock.

mzl.ihfvxfyg.320x480-75.jpg

3. Tilt to Live - Several game modes and an awesome look.

454448.jpg

4. Super Hexagon
5. Age of Zombies
6. Cut the Rope
7. Game Dev Story
8. Hard Lines
9. Junk Jack
10. Grim Joggers
11. Bike Baron

So many brilliant games.

Gaspode_T

Just listing top 10 games I have come to care about deeply, only commenting on the ones I didn't notice mentioned:

1. Carcassonne
2. Zookeeper Battle
3. Groove Coaster
4. SpellTower
5. Hero Academy
6. Dungeon Raid
7. Piczle Lines - Relaxing puzzle game with surprising amount of content
8. Magnetic Billiards Blueprint Edition - Made by legendary UK devs who made the game Wetrix for N64, on a style perspective this game outshines so many others
9. W.E.L.D.E.R. - One of the word games that puts a nice twist on letter games, maybe deeper and more challenging than others.
10. Doodle Fit - Another relaxing puzzle game, amazing art and music and many imitators already

Honorable mentions:

11. Forget Me Not
12. Call of Atlantis HD - Maybe the best casual match 3 I have ever played
13. Gardenscapes - One of the best hidden object games I have ever played
14. 4 Elements - Another extremely polished and well made take on casual match 3 (okay now I am appearing like a Playrix fanboy)
15. Minatour Rescue - Maybe the Llamasoft game with the most classic gameplay (Space War...) and might be easier to get into than some of his other games

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
1. Hero Academy
2. Game Dev Story
3. Plants vs Zombies
4. Cut the Rope
5. Words With Friends
6. Feed Me Sandwiches
7. Tiny Wings
8. Geodefense
9. Doodle Jump
10. Infinity Blade

hiryu

1. Infinity Blade 2 - based on time played this would be number 1. I love it and play it more than most console or PC games as well. Tons of free updates as well. This is iOS gaming done right.

2. Magic 2013 - So much content in this as well and the multiplayer is great.

3. Dungeon Raid - my go to game on my phone. Anytime I'm sitting somewhere waiting out comes Dungeon Raid.

4. 10000000 - played the crap out of this for the week it took me to get everything. Wish there was more content but an awesome game totally worth the money.

5. Kingdom Rush - my favorite tower defense game

6. Sword and Sworcery - love the art, music, and atmosphere. Worth it for the experience alone.

7. Jetpack Joyride - I used to play this a bunch

8. Canabalt - simple but great music and art

9. Spellsword - great game. Nice art and nice idea.

10. League of Evil 2 - awesome platformer with great controls.

Top Bottom