• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect (PS3) |OT| Shepard's love is not exclusive

SkylineRKR

Lovely how Euro has a proper box for ME1. Looks quite surreal indeed. I think the impressions here convinced me. I'm going to trade in 2 and 3 for the trilogy.

Mad_Ban

Not to blow my own horn, but I've played through the 360 version many times (installed, uninstalled) and I like to think I'm alright at spotting tech stuff, so I'll put up some quick impressions when it's downloaded.

Shakka

Does anyone know if you can play this in English (with English voice over) if you download it from e.g. the German store?

Bittercup

Does anyone know if you can play this in English (with English voice over) if you download it from e.g. the German store?
Should be possible. At least the retail version is multilingual and I don't see why they should cut that from the PSN version. From the size of the download it's safe to assume all languages are included.

I have a feeling I saw someone on the comments ask on twitter and the answer was no.
That was a bit confusing. Someone asked on twitter about the French PSN version and he said no, but meant that there is no option in-game to change the language like in ME3 and not that there are no English voices. If you change the system settings you can still change the language.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I have a feeling I saw someone on the comments ask on twitter and the answer was no.
This is probably what you are talking about.

lkMJ1l.png

O6NVdl.png
It should work via the console settings.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
That was a bit confusing. Someone asked on twitter about the French PSN version and he said no, but meant that there is no option in-game to change the language like in ME3 and not that there are no English voices. If you change the system settings you can still change the language.
This is probably what you are talking about.
It should work via the console settings.

Yup, guess I missed the end part so cheers guys, good for those who want the other languages.

Mad_Ban

Game is completely v-synced. I'm guessing this explains many of the framerate drops in similar places to the 360 version (which isn't v-synced at all). AF also seems to be a tad better in comparison.

I need to replay the opening on the 360, but it seems some characters have higher resolution textures on their clothes in comparison too. Most noticably on Anderson and Pressley's shoulders. That being said Chakwas has a horribly low-res uniform.

Also, I'm no professional, so I'd wait on DigitalFoundry for a complete answer.

RPGCrazied

Game is completely v-synced. I'm guessing this explains many of the framerate drops in similar places to the 360 version (which isn't v-synced at all). AF also seems to be a tad better in comparison.

I need to replay the opening on the 360, but it seems some characters have higher resolution textures on their clothes in comparison too. Most noticably on Anderson and Pressley's shoulders. That being said Chakwas has a horribly low-res uniform.

Also, I'm no professional, so I'd wait on DigitalFoundry for a complete answer.

So all 3 games are vsynced? Woot. I tried 3's demo and it had no tearing, this pleases me greatly. I care not about fps. Long as it isn't a slideshow or something.

So I got up to walking around the Citadel. Here's some quick observations from a PSN copy downloaded on a 7200RPM 500gb HDD:

+ Indeed it's very surreal playing this on a PS3!
+ Just feels smoother overall than 360 version.
+ They reduced the overdone motionblur. Reduced or maybe they couldn't replicate it, I don't know for sure
+ That texture flicker that you would see on Geth models in some cinemas (like the white one) on Eden Prime is seemingly gone. Interesting nip/tuck as I always remember being there on both the 360 and PC versions.
+ Some kind of AA? I don't remember the edges being so smoothed over
+ Trophies are a match for the 360 achievements, complete with their own menu/unlocks like before
+ 7.1 audio sounds pretty good!
+ Auto saves now do take longer
+ Once again, overall image/UI is nice and crisp!
+ Some PC textures used? IE: Sheperd's hair stubble
+ Vsync!
+ Dreaded UE3 texture pop is now almost entirely gone! Like I only saw one instant of it thus far during a cinema. Non during gameplay, not even during Equipment/Weapon menu transitions Now, it fades in ala Gears of War 2.
+ Elevator loadtimes seem like they're only as long as the audio clips that play over them
+ The Random loading halts when running around the Citadel are still here =/
+ Framerate still get's dicey in stressful spots like heavy firefights and the Citadel. To be fair, I remember my desktop though couldn't even run the open districts of the Citadel at a locked 60fps.

I still want to make it up to the effects heavy planets like Noveria to see how the framerate holds up.

Overall though, at this point I'm thinking it's safe to declare this to be the definitive console version of Mass Effect 1. Edge of Reality should be commended for successfully bringing over what was a technical mess on the 360.

Patryn

So I got up to walking around the Citadel. Here's some quick observations from a PSN copy downloaded on a 7200RPM 500gb HDD:

+ Indeed it's very surreal playing this on a PS3!
+ Just feels smoother overall than 360 version.
+ They reduced the overdone motionblur. Reduced or maybe they couldn't replicate it, I don't know for sure
+ That texture flicker that you would see on Geth models in some cinemas (like the white one) on Eden Prime is seemingly gone. Interesting nip/tuck as I always remember being there on both the 360 and PC versions.
+ Trophies are a match for the 360 achievements, complete with their own menu/unlocks like before
+ 7.1 audio sounds pretty good!
+ Auto saves now do take longer
+ Once again, overall image/UI is nice and crisp!
+ Some PC textures used? IE: Sheperd's hair stubble
+ Vsync!
+ Dreaded UE3 texture pop is now almost entirely gone! Like I only saw one instant of it thus far during a cinema. Non during gameplay, not even during Equipment/Weapon menu transitions Now, it fades in ala Gears of War 2.
+ Elevator loadtimes seem like they're only as long as the audio clips that play over them
+ The Random loading halts when running around the Citadel are still here =/
+ Framerate still get's dicey in stressful spots like heavy firefights and the Citadel. To be fair, I remember my desktop though couldn't even run the open districts of the Citadel at a locked 60fps.

I still want to make it up to the effects heavy planets like Noveria to see how the framerate holds up.

Overall though, at this point I'm thinking it's safe to declare this to be the definitive console version of Mass Effect 1. Edge of Reality should be commended for successfully bringing over what was a technical mess on the 360.

I'd really be tempted to get it again on PS3, but I hate the DS3 as a controller and love, love, love the 360 controller. Not sure I could handle the shift. Maybe if there was a demo and I could try it.

Bittercup

I'm not sure about that. The game looks smooth on many edges, but many seem to have no AA at all. Maybe the same as on the 360 where AA is applied before transparencies and effects leaving many edges with aliasing and the anti-aliasing itself not very noticeable. Or simply no AA at all.
Mass Effect 2 has zero AA as well and the image quality isn't really bad. Still looks smooth in most cases :)

I'm not sure about that. The game looks smooth on many edges, but many seem to have no AA at all. Maybe the same as on the 360 where AA is applied before transparencies and effects leaving many edges with aliasing and the anti-aliasing itself not very noticeable. Or simply no AA at all.
Mass Effect 2 has zero AA as well and the image quality isn't really bad. Still looks smooth in most cases :)

Yeah, maybe that's it then

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I'd really be tempted to get it again on PS3, but I hate the DS3 as a controller and love, love, love the 360 controller. Not sure I could handle the shift. Maybe if there was a demo and I could try it.

I doubt they would put in the work in for an ME1 demo at this point, maybe try the ME2/3 demos, while obvious later ME's feel different it will probably let you know if you will be able to enjoy the firs one.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
pretty dissapointed that there are no people in this thread who haven't played ME1 before.

B-Dex

Went with an engineer this time. Having fun so far. Gonna replay the trilogy with my new shep. Seems to run smoother than the original on 360. At least to me.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Just started it up, after playing it so many times over the years on 360, there is definitely a bit of an odd feeling playing it on a PS3, lol.

Still, that opening, a universe of unknown to explore, such potential and then we get given that ME3 ending after it all. It is sad but I think the ME3 ending will be one of those things that people will remember from this generation and the outrage it caused.

I bought the game off PSN. Its been too long but I don't remember anything from the profile reconstruction thing at all. What is it? I have to choose between things like Colonist etc? What does it do?

Just started it up, after playing it so many times over the years on 360, there is definitely a bit of an odd feeling playing it on a PS3, lol.

Still, that opening, a universe of unknown to explore, such potential and then we get given that ME3 ending after it all. It is sad but I think the ME3 ending will be one of those things that people will remember from this generation and the outrage it caused.

There was no other game this gen that gave me this wonderful feeling, maybe Skyrim a little bit.

Mass Effect 1 is truly a poster child for what this generation COULD achieve.

Instead, we got Call of Duty 4, 5 (W@W), 6, 7 (BLOPS), 8, 9 (BLOPS2) and 10 next year.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Can someone help me out understanding something? Are games on PSN language-locked or multi 5? I mean, if I buy Mass Effect 1 from Italian PSN, am I getting the game with multiple languages in it or ONLY italian? Thanks.

Micerider

The opening of Mass Effect, and the last 3 hours are a child dream come true.

PS3 Mass Effect 1 is quite new but...has the trilogy integrated potential improvements on any platforms (PS3 as much as Xbox 360 and PC)?

Would love to replay all of them on PC, but no controller is a downer.

Bittercup

I bought the game off PSN. Its been too long but I don't remember anything from the profile reconstruction thing at all. What is it? I have to choose between things like Colonist etc? What does it do?
This reconstruction is just a nice idea to make sense why you you create your own Shepard. The profile is corrupt so you fill in how Shepard looks and his/her background.
Colonist etc are just for Shepard's background. Each has a unique assignment and it's mentioned several times in the game from other NPCs who make references to your past.
It's just a RP-thing, chose what you like :)

Can someone help me out understanding something? Are games on PSN language-locked or multi 5? I mean, if I buy Mass Effect 1 from Italian PSN, am I getting the game with multiple languages in it or ONLY italian? Thanks.
The game is multilingual.

PowderedToast

played about two hours, first time i opened a container and was greeted with unique weapons and armor i was like "wtf" lmao

then i remembered this one is an actual rpg

PowderedToast

The unique weapons were much less unique than the sequels' weapons.

i don't remember but regardless, receiving weapons + armor in containers and sorting your inventory is a big part of the rpg experience for me

yea it might mean close to fuck all in the end but it gives the illusion i'm tuning my character and roleplaying yanno

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
What exactly is a "unique" weapon anyway?

I mean whether you have a Hurricane VI or a Viper VI or a Scimitar VI doesn't make one more unique than the other, especially when they all share the same 2 or 3 shotgun models.

The only thing i would call unique is the Spectre weapons, and those can be bought from a merchant.

Melchiah

pretty dissapointed that there are no people in this thread who haven't played ME1 before.

Well, I haven't played it through before, only a few of the first missions.

I played the game for 3½ hours yesterday, and it looks and runs noticeably better compared to the vanilla PC version on my laptop, which struggled with keeping at 30fps. It's been 2½ years since I played the beginning on 360, so I don't really remember how that looked or ran.

On a minus side, some dialogue was on mute in Eden Prime. And coming from the PC version, I must say I really hate the encryption mechanic of the lockers. I always save the game before I try to open them, and yesterday I had to try five times before I could open one. It doesn't really help, that loading the save takes forever. It's somewhat a minor issue, but I wish they had gotten rid of that extremely annoying mechanic, that doesn't add anything positive to the game.

Kyoufu

I've played this to death and I can't remember what the encryption mini-game was. :lol Just the QTEs right?

Bisnic

Simon thing? Do the console versions of ME1 have a different minigame than on PC? Because it's nothing like Simon. You just have to move an arrow toward the middle of a circle while avoiding walls and moving obstacles.

Kyoufu

Simon thing? Do the console versions of ME1 have a different minigame than on PC? Because it's nothing like Simon. You just have to move an arrow toward the middle of a circle while avoiding walls and moving obstacles.

Yeah the PC version had an "improved" mini-game which I fucking hated.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

Console versions just have a simple four button UI that you hav to press after it highlights one of the four main controller buttons. I had no idea the PC version had a different mechanic till I just looked it up after your comment.

Bisnic

Yeah the PC version had an "improved" mini-game which I fucking hated.

Eh, it's not that bad with the easy and medium decryption lockers.

The hard ones though... i just use omnigels on them, i have plenty of that crap anyway. :p

I have never played ME1 before given that I only have a PS3.

Loved 2 and quit 3 SP when I got addicted to MP.

Downloaded and installed ME1 last night and will begin playing tonight.

Looking forward to it.

Obviously I have some story spoilers as I played the interactive comic ahead of ME2 but I've heard experiencing the story is worth it.

lucius

Don't forget to click on different squad mates in different spots multiple times some of the one liners are funny.

Bisnic

Don't forget to click on different squad mates in different spots multiple times some of the one liners are funny.

I like that part on Virmire where Liara says she hates it when she have sand in her... nevermind.

Melchiah

I've played this to death and I can't remember what the encryption mini-game was. :lol Just the QTEs right?

The PC version:
owTJ9l.png

It was also annoying, but less so than the console version, which involves pushing three of the four symbol/ABXY buttons as fast as lightning without any error. At least the PC version was a bit more forgiving.

The ME2 mini-games were far less frustrating IMO.

The worst thing is, that in the beginning you don't have enough Omni-Gel, so you might miss out on some sidequests or equipment if you can't open them.

EDIT:
The Simon thing?

What's that?

Top Bottom