• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect (PS3) |OT| Shepard's love is not exclusive

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

jdT21.png

bXkZ2.png

Developer: Bioware
Publisher: EA

Release Date:
  • US - 4th December
  • EU - 7th December

Price:
  • US - $15
  • EU - €15?
  • UK - £??

Size:
Digital: US - 8GB, EU - 11GB
Physical: 4GB+ Install

Editions:
Physical Copy included with the Mass Effect Trilogy.
I7pbQ.png

Digital on the PlayStation Store
Ps_store_logo.png

DLC:
"Bring Down the Sky" included with physical copies on disc or as part of the digital download.
"Pinnacle Station" will not be included or sold after release due to technical difficulties.

Character Transfer:
With the release of Mass Effect for PS3, PlayStation gamers will be able to import their ME1 characters into Mass Effect 2 thanks to an upcoming patch. It will allow you to play all three games in the series with the same Shepard from start to finish continuing your "choices" without the need of the Genesis comic and will allow certain sidequest elements to show up across the games, eg. Conrad Verner.

Um4wU.png

The galaxy is trapped in an endless cycle of extinction. Every 50,000 years, an ancient machine race invades the galaxy. With ruthless efficiency, the machines wipe out all advanced organic civilization. They leave behind only the scattered ruins of technology, destroying all evidence of their own existence.

Few believe this ancient legend. You, however, know it to be true. The fight to stop this extinction event has become the most important mission in the galaxy.

It is your mission. As Commander Shepard of the SS Normandy, you will take your elite recon squad across a galaxy in turmoil, in a desperate race to stop the return of an enemy without mercy. To stop this enemy, you must act without remorse, without hesitation, and outside the limits of the law. Your only imperative is to preserve the safety of civilized life in the galaxy - at any cost. You must become the tip of the spear of humanity, for you alone know the full extent of what is at stake if you should fail.

D30Jz.png

YdN33.png
CfG1U.png
VRn5H.png

cNgqQ.png
eA7xJ.png
OuATq.png

qxquv.png

Trailers:

Screenshots:

gRC0y.png

TBA

lhPdJ.png

TBA

Gadirok

I'm looking forward to this. I don't own a 360, so I will be picking this up and starting the series from scratch. Especially now that I realize that the Resistance collection doesn't come in a new case, and is just a box with the dualpack greatest hits and original release of Resistance 3. I already own those copies so no point in getting that again (was hoping they would pack all 3 discs into one case with dual coverart.

Will likely pick this up when it's in the $30-40 range. $60 is just too much for me to spend on 3 games I already own for the 360 and would just be picking up for the novelty of playing the original on the PS3 and to replay them again.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I'm excited to hear how it runs. The 360 version loads like molasses and the PC version as a bunch of texture issues (like Garrus' face). It'd be nice to finally play a version with few flaws.

I haven't played ME3 since I could never bring myself to finish the second one but the original ME is one of my favorite western RPG's of all time. I think these screens from the PC screenshot thread sum up the reasons why quite well (not mine):

Gadirok

You're so lucky!

Yeah, I remember my cousin playing Mass Effect 3 when it came out and I was asking him how it was. He told me I should check it out, but I mentioned that the first one wasn't on the PS3 and that I would have to jump in from 2.

He mentioned something about a comic that covers the first game thats included with 2 but I want to start series in chronological order.

Only exception I ever made to that rule was Ratchet and clank:UYA, and Infamous 2.

Does that comic still come with this collection though?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I wonder how the framerate and texture pop-in will be? The 360 version suffered badly from "early UE3 game syndrome".

Probably just as bad unless they moved to the Mass Effect 2 version of the engine?

In any case no Pinnacle Station is good news, weak DLC.

Games kinda boring though, a bunch of filler until you get to the
"Impossible Situation"/Wrex issue
then it starts to pick up.

Seen this written quite a bit. So presumably still worth a buy if one's already played the second and third game?
Honestly, if youre interested in the universe, its definitely worth it to see how the series started. The shooting of course is not as good, and inventory management can be a pain, but the side quests are a lot of fun imo and theres really nothing in the other two games like traveling in the mako on some desolate planet, wondering if youre going to discover an outpost or a crashes survivor or anything.

That is of course if the port is any good. Though I cant think of how they could mess up performance more than the 360 version.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Will update the OT a bit more today and hopefully as we get closer to release, there is a surprising lack of real info or images for the release besides from one of Biowares guys twitter, lol.

Bittercup

Probably just as bad unless they moved to the Mass Effect 2 version of the engine?
It's a hybrid of the ME1 engine with the improvements they made for the engine of ME2 and ME3 for PS3.
Performance and texture loading problems should be better.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Wondering if this will run on the Mass Effect 4 engine.

Not sure if serious.

Enjoy playing this great game PS3 GAF! The combat, Mako controls and inventory might turn you off, but everything else is excellent.

Hopefully, it doesn't run as badly as the 360 version.

Whatever you do, pick Wrex as your teammate Shepard!

I'm excited to hear how it runs. The 360 version loads like molasses and the PC version as a bunch of texture issues (like Garrus' face). It'd be nice to finally play a version with few flaws.

The only texture issue on PC is Garrus face and it can be easily fixed by modifying a file or installing a mod, so it's not like it is much of an issue. :) I doubt the PS3 version will be better than the PC one, but at least it will be better than the mess that is ME1 on 360.

"Character Transfer:
With the release of Mass Effect for PS3, PlayStation gamers will be able to import their ME1 characters into Mass Effect 2 thanks to an upcoming patch. It will allow you to play all three games in the series with the same Shepard from start to finish continuing your "choices" without the need of the Genesis comic and will allow certain sidequest elements to show up across the games, eg. Conrad Verner."

Perfect. I'll wait for the patch. Thanks OP for the info! :D

pargonta

I may buy this again just to be able to holster my weapon at will.

it'll be interesting to see how it runs though. most interesting.

I found out about this series when the Mass Effect 3 demo was on PSN. Went out and purchased ME2 and it quickly became one of my favorite games this gen. Enjoyed ME3, but felt like ME2 was the better game. Not sure if its worth it go and play the first one now.

Honestly, if youre interested in the universe, its definitely worth it to see how the series started. The shooting of course is not as good, and inventory management can be a pain, but the side quests are a lot of fun imo and theres really nothing in the other two games like traveling in the mako on some desolate planet, wondering if youre going to discover an outpost or a crashes survivor or anything.

That is of course if the port is any good. Though I cant think of how they could mess up performance more than the 360 version.
Thanks. :)

Yeah, I liked the universe in general, so it would be good to play through the beginnings. Hopefully it runs okay.

theDeeDubs

Seen this written quite a bit. So presumably still worth a buy if one's already played the second and third game?

It's definitely worth playing. Just be prepared for a major downgrade in combat (gunplay, biotics, defense stripping) especially at the highest difficulty. I felt ME1 had the best overall vibe and use of music though. I've 1k'd and Platinumed all of them on both systems and I'll be replaying this on the PS3, which speaks for the quality of the game itself because it takes three thorough playthroughs to 1k/plat ME1. Coming from playing the superior 2 & 3 first might leave you wondering what all the fuss of 1 was about though.

Also curious if they made any adjustments to Immunity in this port.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I feel like giving ME1 as a christmas gift for my brother who only own a PS3 and played ME2 and ME3, but i personally do not own a PS3 and I heard that ME1 as a standalone game is only available through PSN.

So am i screwed?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Only ME game I actually enjoyed, and boy did I.

Too bad about the framerate on the last part of the game on 360... if they got some of this sorted out on PS3 I might play through it again.

I found out about this series when the Mass Effect 3 demo was on PSN. Went out and purchased ME2 and it quickly became one of my favorite games this gen. Enjoyed ME3, but felt like ME2 was the better game. Not sure if its worth it go and play the first one now.

ME 1 made me buy an xbox(Had no intentions of buying one before). The world captured me... Felt I was Really discovering Worlds. It didn't feel as much as a shooter than it does now, but god, it was awesome.

PS3 users, I have a message for you:

There's a choice to be done near the end of the game, you should know what to do at that point.

Don't dissapoint me.

Enjoy the game ;)

Only played Mass Effect 2 and would love to start the trilogy from the beginning. ME2 was really good so i'm hoping I enjoy this one as well. I think i'm gonna play with a female Shepard this time.

Got the series (all DLC) on PC and 360 on their release's, finally getting all three for PS3. Yeah I have a problem. It might be that I want to play ME1 again.

zroid

Banned
Such a weird disconnect between most critics and GAF, it seems, with respect to which of ME1 or 2 is the better game.

I jumped straight into ME2 and it ended up being one of my favourite games of the gen. It's a shame that I'm not entirely recovered from the ME3 fiasco, so I don't think I'm ready to start ME1 right now.

Cornbread78

Oh $hit, psyched for this, and I'm glad there's an OT for it.

Question.

If you play through one, do the decision carry over to two, then to three?

ME1 is 15$ or 20$ on PSN? Guess i'll go check if I can find a PSN card for that price somewhere.
Its $15. PSN cards come in 20s and 50s. I guess youll have to trust your brother in getting what you wanted to get him, cause he might use the card to buy something else. Sony really should look into some kind of gifting option for PSN.

I've never played any of the games but I've always been jealous of this xbox exclusive. I hope the price drops to something reasonable in a bomba fashion, or maybe if the PS+ discount is good for the PSN version i'll consider getting each game on my own for cheaper than trilogy.. but than that's a lot of effort for saving 20 euros.

Baron

Huh. Already played the first on 360 and love it. I had started a second play-through on 360 in anticipation of 3 releasing earlier this year, but never got past the first 3 or 4 hours. Maybe I'll give it another go-through on PS3. I hope the port is done well - $15 is a very, very nice price.

neoemonk

Curious how the load times are on PS3. I bought ME2 from the PSN and the loading screens are incredibly slow. I still haven't played ME3 though and I really love the first game so I have some interest in this trilogy set.

Baron

Curious how the load times are on PS3. I bought ME2 from the PSN and the loading screens are incredibly slow. I still haven't played ME3 though and I really love the first game so I have some interest in this trilogy set.

Yeah, I wonder how they'll work the endless elevator rides on the Citadel. If it's running from the HDD, maybe they'll change the hardcoded load times and quicken things up a bit.

Top Bottom