• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect (PS3) |OT| Shepard's love is not exclusive

zroid

Banned
Criticis were assessing the game back in '07, people here are looking at it in hindsight so it's only natural that the opinions change. It also helps that it becomes easier to deal with the clunky mechanics in ME1 the more familiar you are with the game.

Perhaps, but not to such an extent. ME2 is overwhelmingly the favourite in the trilogy among the press (even today, most would say so), while ME1 appears to be that on GAF.

Well, by the time the trilogy drops in price, I'll probably be over my ME3 disappointment, and then I'll play it for myself! :)

dralla

My god, the music in this game is incredible.

People dislike the combat in this game, but I actually really enjoy it because I didn't play it like a shooter, I had the giant ability wheel up most of the time giving out orders.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
The atmosphere of 1 is great, but realistically given the 'galactic peril' they couldn't have maintained it across the whole trilogy. It had to kick up a notch at some point. It's a bit like demanding that the atmosphere of Fellowship survives across Two Towers and Return of the King. The gameplay in the first one is kind of 70% crap, 30% frustrating but decent though.

Having said that, I have ordered a copy because I never played ME3 and I want to play through the whole thing with the same Shepherd and bum Kaiden.

People dislike the combat in this game, but I actually really enjoy it because I didn't play it like a shooter, I had the giant ability wheel up most of the time giving out orders.

That just makes the agony that is each shooting gallery take 10 times longer to be over with.

Cornbread78

I couldn't get this to work in ME2, therefore I couldn't get any of the trophies for using biotics, explosive ammo etc, it just never really worked for me.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So any news on how ME1 runs and looks on PS3?
That's what I'm waiting to see.

ME1 on 360 had even more performance issues than the awful PS3 ports of ME2 and 3. If they do a respectable job improving the engine, it could be decent, but if it's just built around the older version of UE3 used in ME it could be an atrocity.

Noi

I am so torn between saving my $45 for Technika Tune or splurging on this and some other games. I haven't even finished ME3 cause it's so dull and would rather revisit ME1.

At least I can finally replay ME1 as I don't have my 360 anymore.

Will be fun to do a whole trilogy run-through this time with an imported Shepard on my PS3 though will they be patching ME2 so that I can actually import my Shepard from ME1 or am I forced to rebuy ME2 off PSN... I hope it's the former.

Eidan

I haven't played ME3 since I could never bring myself to finish the second one but the original ME is one of my favorite western RPG's of all time. I think these screens from the PC screenshot thread sum up the reasons why quite well (not mine):

I hate everyone that complained about the Mako.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

I took that pic a few days ago, RIP Mako! It was sad seeing this vehicule all over the place on Earth in ME3, only to never use it in the game.
masseffect2012-11-262clb89.png

There were things to complain about. I'd blame most of the issues on the ridiculously vertical terrain of the uncharted worlds, not the vehicle that was forced to drive on them. Main mission mako sections were pretty great. The problem is Bioware chose to simply cut the flawed aspects of the original game instead of improve on their implementation.

Bittercup

weird, why isn't this a general purpose Mass Effect Trilogy thread instead of just ME1?
There are already threads about the Trilogy. But since the Trilogy is on PC and Xbox360 more or less just a repack of the already existing games there's probably no need for an additional OT.
The only thing new and exciting about the Trilogy is ME1 for PS3 :)

lucius

I enjoyed the Mako just on Insane difficulty there is one part where it is a bit frustrating. Yeah Pinnacle Station is the worst DLC in the whole series so not losing anything, even those gun packs and costumes they sold for a few bucks where more worthwhile. Bring Down the sky is fun though, I will buy this again for $15.

omonimo

Banned
That's what I'm waiting to see.

ME1 on 360 had even more performance issues than the awful PS3 ports of ME2 and 3. If they do a respectable job improving the engine, it could be decent, but if it's just built around the older version of UE3 used in ME it could be an atrocity.

I concur about mass effect 3 but from when mass effect 2 run good on 360? From I remember it run pretty bad too on 360 (not like the first, of course), there is an article about it on DF which complains about fps average.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I concur about mass effect 3 but from when mass effect 2 run good on 360? From I remember it run pretty bad too on 360 (not like the first, of course), there is an article about it on DF which complains about fps average.

Uh no. The "articles" all just say how its a major improvement over the first game. ME2 on 360 sticks to 30 during gameplay almost the entire time, it only drops frames in the interactive cutscenes.

Never played the first one so I would like to try it.

This doesn't have that weird 'create a male Shepard' hack the other two games had does it?

Melchiah

Release Date:
US - 4th December
EU - 7th December

As the 7th day is friday, and the EU PSN is updated on wednesdays, will the digital released date be the 5th or the 12th? Hopefully the former.

I'm really looking forward to this. I've played the first 15-20 hours two times, first on my friend's 360, then on my laptop (which wasn't really an optimal solution). Glad I can finally play the game through on a big screen, like it's meant to be experienced.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Never played the first one so I would like to try it.

This doesn't have that weird 'create a male Shepard' hack the other two games had does it?

What do you mean by "'create a male Shepard' hack"? You can create your own Shepard if that's what you're asking.

Oh yeah, i miss having the option for a simple scar in ME2 and ME3 character creation. Stupid Cerberus technology repairing badass scars. :(

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
What do you mean by "'create a male Shepard' hack"? You can create your own Shepard if that's what you're asking.

Oh yeah, i miss having the option for a simple scar in ME2 and ME3 character creation. Stupid Cerberus technology repairing badass scars. :(

I think he's just a Fem-Shep fan and is taking a shot at the legitimate and one true Shepard.... male default soldier Shepard. Mwuahahahaha.

dEvAnGeL

this is without a doubt the best game out of the 3, if i could only have LEGION and THANE KRIOS in this game it would be my favorite game of all time, already finished the game on 360, have it on pc but i hate M/K combo so i haven't really play it ( don't hate on me please ) and if the game runs better on ps3 i will be picking this up again, im just gonna wait for the inevitable digital foundry face off

Mad_Ban

Quite looking forward to seeing how this is on PS3 :) It'd have to be a very special port to get performance worse than the 360 version :p

Tizoc

As the 7th day is friday, and the EU PSN is updated on wednesdays, will the digital released date be the 5th or the 12th? Hopefully the former.

I'm really looking forward to this. I've played the first 15-20 hours two times, first on my friend's 360, then on my laptop (which wasn't really an optimal solution). Glad I can finally play the game through on a big screen, like it's meant to be experienced.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing was available on EU PSN for pre-order with it's release date being 16 Nov. in UK. If you bought it on the 14th, it'd start DLing on the 16th.
So I'd say the same will be for this digital release.

dralla

I couldn't get this to work in ME2, therefore I couldn't get any of the trophies for using biotics, explosive ammo etc, it just never really worked for me.

Combat is different in ME1, you have access to a ton of abilities at all times, I think each character has 7+ abilities, so you have plenty of options to work with. I wish they would've kept the style of combat from 1 instead of turning it into a shooter in the sequels.

ME2 was rock solid during gameplay on 360. Huge improvement over the first game. Some cutscenes might stutter here and there, but the game itself played beautifully.

An-Det

I hope the port turns out well, the game is fantastic and deserves it. I might pick up the trilogy edition down the line and play it then, but I've 1k'ed all the ME games so I'm in no hurry to replay it. The fastest I beat ME1 was in about 12 hours, which was also my Liara/Garrus Ally achievements playthrough. God I love this game, I hope newcomers will as well.

I enjoyed the Mako just on Insane difficulty there is one part where it is a bit frustrating. Yeah Pinnacle Station is the worst DLC in the whole series so not losing anything, even those gun packs and costumes they sold for a few bucks where more worthwhile. Bring Down the sky is fun though, I will buy this again for $15.

I always found the Mako to be useless on Insanity except to move faster. I remember when I was doing a run on insanity with my solder, the Mako would be perpetually smoking and near death, while I could jump out, turn on Immunity loop, and stare down multiple Geth Colossus without breaking a sweat.

Patryn

Moved this from the Omega thread, because this is more relevant here:

I think another way to look at it though is that the first game was more of the start up of a grand space opera; and as I said in my wall of text above, more immediate or urgent. So yes, I think as a self-contained story as much as an act can be, it did it the best by far.

However, the second wasn't really a slouch in the writing aspects either, it simply changed the format to more of an episodic nature. Instead of one grand chapter, it was broken up into many more bite-sized chapters that didn't have to be played in an entirely sequential order. I truly believe that the second had much more emotional involvement than the first, whereas the first had more awe factor, especially because everything was fresh.

Yeah, if you end up enjoying the second, you probably should pick up the third just to see the story completed. I dunno about the combat not bothering someone though. I typically don't play FPS/TPS (been there, done that from the 90s on up) and I absolutely loved the combat in the second aside from the lame squad AI (especially on Insanity). The actual combat mechanics may have been improved in the third, but it definitely doesn't feel the same as the second. The second had a ton of action, but it wasn't so overbearing as it is in the third--where it just feels like it's non stop, and the way the enemies would move sometimes was borderline comical. Bioware claimed to have massively improved the AI in the third, but all they really did was give it a very minor tweak and threw twice as many enemies at you hoping that you wouldn't notice.

Ironically, I didn't feel quite as emotional invested in ME2 as I was in ME1. I never really felt the Collectors as an enemy or a threat, thought the main storyline (which, to me, doesn't encompass the recruitment or loyalty missions) was very poorly done, and I don't think I quite liked the ME2 squad members as much as some people did. I also feel that the shorter mission structure never really allowed me to fully immerse. The constant loading screens kept taking me out of the game. It's part of why I actually really appreciate ME1's loathed elevators that much more in hindsight.

Then again, I'm one of those people who kind of shrugs at Tali, so I'm an outlier.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I also feel that the shorter mission structure never really allowed me to fully immerse
That's my chief complaints with ME2 and 3.

I prefer the feeling of visiting a planet and spending time there both in exploration and in combat. The shorter action heavy missions of the second two games never really allowed the environments to spread out.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
That's my chief complaints with ME2 and 3.

I prefer the feeling of visiting a planet and spending time there both in exploration and in combat. The shorter action heavy missions of the second two games never really allowed the environments to spread out.
Say thanks to gameplay metrics. People were dropping these big missions.

Yuripaw

Banned
I played through 1 & 2 on 360 and 2 & 3 on PS3 - didn't notice any difference to be honest.

I played through ME2 and 3 on all platforms,(except the Wii U ME3)...I'm surprised you didn't notice much difference. To be honest, the PS3 versions of the games have always seemed to run the worst to me. ME2 had horrible load times compared to the other versions, and I experienced more lock ups on that version.

ME3 got almost unplayable by the later parts of the game because of some really terrible framerate. I heard it was caused by some memory issue, and that the memory needs to be cleared. I dunno, but I'm hesitant to play the PS3 version again, because it got really really bad in the later parts of ME3.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Does that comic still come with this collection though?

ME2/3 are exactly the same copies as from when they released, so ME2 comes with the cerberus network pass that the comic comes free with.

But if you are importing from ME1 the comic is ignored and the game just continues straight into ME2 as all your choices have been made, Liara who was also the default character they showed on the PS3 version at the beginning of the game regardless of comic choices etc. can now be replaced with Ashley/Kaiden if they were your romance option.

Not sure if want. I mean, I want to play these games but the performance issues I've read about ME2 and 3 is a huge turn off. I don't suppose they went back and optimized the games for this rerelease right? :(

I played ME2/3 on both 360 and PS3, I have the platinum for both, while not up there with the 360 version the performance is fine but can get a little janky in places.

weird, why isn't this a general purpose Mass Effect Trilogy thread instead of just ME1?

The trilogy has already been released on 360/PS3, ME2/3 have both already been out on all platforms, so ME1 is the only new thing coming with the Trilogy and is the only game PS3 players have yet to get.

THat's how i play ME3 single player as well. Its only the multiplayer that is more of a "shooter" since you cant use the wheel.

Top Bottom