• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect (PS3) |OT| Shepard's love is not exclusive

breakfuss

So stoked for this. Already played through on 360, and while it's certainly the least polished of the series, it's still my favorite. The lore is just incredible (especially to those playing for the first time). Anyway, I hope it's running on an improved engine (can't seem to find any info on that), but no biggie if it isn't.

Replicant

1. Please be on disc instead of requiring me to install it on PS3.
2. Please let me reuse my ME3 character model. I didn't spend 2+ hours sculpting his face only to have to make a new one in ME.
3. Please have decent graphic/framerate.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
1. Please be on disc instead of requiring me to install it on PS3.
2. Please let me reuse my ME3 character model. I didn't spend 2+ hours sculpting his face only to have to make a new one in ME.
3. Please have decent graphic/framerate.

1. ME1 in the Trilogy is on Disc in its own separate case, whether it will have an install or not we don't know yet, but it is quite old at this point so it is possible it runs off the disc just fine.

2. That isn't going to happen, there isn't anything special about this version besides optimisations, otherwise it is just the 360 version. They messed with face codes from ME1 > ME2 > ME3, it doesn't work backwards so you will have to make a face from scratch from ME1 or use the default Shepard.

You can however use the ME2FaceDatabase website ME2>ME1 face converter to get slider positions to get a similar face, you just put in the character code and it tries to figure it out for you.
I'm not sure if it will work with ME3 codes because they have slight differences from ME2, but it will probably be your best solution.

3. We can only hope, lol.

I played all 3 games straight through earlier this year after the ME3 ending controversy broke out, and, while I enjoyed them all immensely, I feel that the first game is the strongest of the three, simply because it felt like a space adventure game. I mean, the uncharted worlds were simply just some random height maps that they threw some textures, a skybox and a couple of copypasta rooms on, but it still gave me a feeling of exploring the final frontier that the other two never delivered on, and in my opinion, they should have focus on delivering a more detailed and varied version of that rather than just scrapping it because the dudebros out there don't want to do things that aren't shooting people.

The first game probably has the most satisfying plot of the trilogy, with a much more optimistic and enjoyable tone, and it is probably the only game in the trilogy to deliver a satisfying ending. 2 and 3 whipped the first game's ass when it came to characters, though.

Also, fuck whoever decided taking the elevators out was a good idea. All that bitching seemed to really be directed at the long-ass load times, which are still there in the sequels, but with the elevators replaces with the stupid immersion breaking "Now Loading" screen that every other game uses.

I'm probably not going to double dip, but I do say that it is tempting, since it is suppose to run much better. If they have a patch that also restores all the little things from the ME1 sidequests that couldn't be included in PS3 ME2&3, then I might just bite.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Looks like they sent out review copies, but there's an embargo on them.

Tagg9

The fuck? It's a goddam port of a 5 year old game. Why would you embargo that shit?

So that when reviews come out, the game is readily available for people who want to buy it.

Or the port is crap and EA don't want people to know until after they've purchased it.

So that when reviews come out, the game is readily available for people who want to buy it.

Or the port is crap and EA don't want people to know until after they've purchased it.

Probably sucks ass.

If this thing ends up running significantly worse than the 360 version, then I think the team responsible for the port deserves The Congressional Medal of Incompetence, because there is just no excuse for that shit.

moonbox

Banned
It would have been nice if they redid the combat system for ME1 to be more on par with ME2/ME3's. But oh well....

Necron

Actually looking forward to finally being able to play the first Mass Effect game on my PS3 via PSN. I hope it's a good port...

Quick

Banned
Got it for $5 on Steam, but considering I have the PS3 versions for 2 and 3, I'll be double dipping to possibly play all three back-to-back.

Ok I dont know if I should just play 3 on ps3 using my ME2 save or go back and play 1 and 2 again?

I played 1 on PC before I played 2 on ps3 but I knew a ton of small choices didn't carry over since the comic only let you pick 5 big ones.

What should I do?

Also its kind of weird that ME1 might be the best running Mass Effect game on ps3.

Danny-Boy

I'm pumped. Played it a few years ago on PC. I hate playing on keyboard & mouse. The game was so good I hardly noticed. It's a shame 2 and 3 turned out to be crap.

yurinka

The fuck? It's a goddam port of a 5 year old game. Why would you embargo that shit?
Because a 5 year old game with several flaws in addition to hypothetical new ones derived from the port doesn't look very well today so they may prefer to keep these guys quiet as long as possible to loose as less sells as possible.

Valnen

It would have been nice if they redid the combat system for ME1 to be more on par with ME2/ME3's. But oh well....

The only thing they really need to fix is to make it so squad powers activate when you tell them to. They never seemed to do that in 1, was instant in 2 and 3 though. Game would be fine with just that one fix.

Probably just as bad unless they moved to the Mass Effect 2 version of the engine?

In any case no Pinnacle Station is good news, weak DLC.

Games kinda boring though, a bunch of filler until you get to the
"Impossible Situation"/Wrex issue
then it starts to pick up.

You all are better off without Pinnacle Station, that really is one of the biggest piece of shit DLCs ever released.

Yeah, basically this. I still beat it because I had it, but nothing good was lost. Well, it does give you access to a way to randomly buy the best items in the game, but with how much money you make by the end that is pretty much game breaking.

lantus

Even with this game's very apparent faults, it is still my favorite in the series. I was devastated when Mass Effect 2 discarded so many of the things I loved about the original game.

fernoca

The 5th is when the game is released in the North America :/

But EA usually doesn't send review copies of games if they really suck. Like in the case of the Medal of Honor.

The 4th is the release date (Tuesday); so the reviews will hit...the same day as the game. :p

Not too worried; I already played all 3 of them on 360; getting this for collection's sake..and to try to play them all again on PS3 with one character.

Patryn

So i can spend 60 on ME3 for the wiiu or 60 for all three of them on ps3?

Yep! And as an added bonus, if you buy it on the Wii-U, you'll also save all the money and time you would have spent on the DLC, because it's never, ever coming to the Wii-U.

How can you turn down that deal?

lucius

The music and story is by far the best in the series that will not change no matter how the port turns out, so it's a buy for me even though I already own it. I will own the whole series digital now also.

Them not releasing any images of the first game running on PS3 is a little suspicious, don't you think ? The game comes out in two days...

fart town usa

Gold Member
Can't wait to play this. I played about half of the first game via PC but my laptop was fried during a lightning storm. Really looking forward to playing through it again.

As others have mentioned, the music is really great. For me, it created a sense of mystery surrounding everything that was going on. Such an awesome game.

Massa

So i can spend 60 on ME3 for the wiiu or 60 for all three of them on ps3?

Same thing happened with Mass Effect 2 being released at $60 on the PS3 when you could already get it for $15 on the Xbox 360. Such is the case with late ports, they're often more expensive on the new platform. We're seeing it on the Wii U and we saw it with the Vita throughout the year.

When all their other games are, no reason not to I guess.

It also allows them to control the timing of the marketing message for the game.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
So for a game coming out tomorrow there is almost no information on it actually coming out, besides the Bioware blog occasionally being update we probably wouldn't know it was coming out otherwise.

Wonder if the trophies will just be copy and paste achievements. Those were terrible.

Probably, I doubt there was a lot of effort put into the port besides getting it over and making sure it works.

rvy

Banned
Them not releasing any images of the first game running on PS3 is a little suspicious, don't you think ? The game comes out in two days...

What's suspicious about it? It will look and run like ass. Nothing suspicious about that. At least they ain't saying that the game uses the ME 3 engine now. Because that was seriously lolworthy last time around. ME 3 engine apparently removes Joker's neck, or whatever it was.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Were the early UE3 games really running that bad on consoles or was Mass Effect 1 a special case? It runs pretty good on PCs, and i'm sure you don't need a beast to run it decently. :lol

Seems like PC will still be the best way to experience ME1 if the PS3 version is as bad as the 360 one.

sleepykyo

Were the early UE3 games really running that bad on consoles or was Mass Effect 1 a special case? It runs pretty good on PCs, and i'm sure you don't need a beast to run it decently. :lol

Seems like PC will still be the best way to experience ME1 if the PS3 version is as bad as the 360 one.

Well, Last Remnant ran pretty bad on the 360 and Square gave up on trying port it over. So it wasn't common, but it wasn't completely rare.

Patryn

It was UE3. One of the ironies of this console generation is that Dyack was actually kind of right, and Epic was kind of selling a half-done engine.

Waaghals

Mass Effect was a complete train wreck on 360. It ran at a near constant sub-30 fps, dipping into the teens during one of the boss fights with biotics.

It could be better than the 360 version and still perform badly, would still be an upgrade though. if it ends up running okay, it will be a massive achievement.

Killthee

Mix of both I think. Early UE3 console games had issues, but Mass Effect 360 was one of the worst at hiding them. Texture pop in that could get pretty bad at times, frequent tearing (END GAME SPOILERS), unstable frame rate during heavy firefights, autosaving interrupted the game by pausing it (END GAME SPOILERS), and sometimes loading would also cause random pauses when going back and forth in certain sections like in Noveria.

diffusionx

Gold Member
It was UE3. One of the ironies of this console generation is that Dyack was actually kind of right, and Epic was kind of selling a half-done engine.

Dyack was completely correct, every UE3 game had huge problems back then, except for Gears.

But this game was the worst of them probably. Technically it had so many issues. It had lots of non-technical issues too. I think ME1 is hugely overrated, though it's captivating in some ways. It's not a bad playthrough.

Killthee

I can't tell if this tweet is positive or negative, lol. By surreal, he could mean "it runs like a dream" or he could mean "it runs like a nightmare"
I think he just means it's weird that 5 years after it originally came out he's playing a heavily hyped MS published exclusive that everyone assumed was never ever coming to the PS3 on his PS3. It would be like playing MGS4 on a 360.

Still not sure if I want to pick up the trilogy $60 or buying ME3 and DLing ME1 for about $30 (already own ME2 on PS3). I'd save money but I sorta want ME1 on disc (if it runs well) and a nice package for the whole trilogy. Also worried if I buy the trilogy I will be stuck with 3. It's the only game I haven't played and I'm skeptical of even starting it after seeing the backlash.

Either way, interested to see how ME1 even runs on PS3.

Yuripaw

Banned
I think he just means it's weird playing a heavily hyped, MS published, never ever coming to PS3, game on his PS3 5 years after the game originally came out. It would be like playing MGS4 on a 360.

I guess that's probably true. I dont really think like that anymore, because if this generation has taught me anything...there is no such thing as console exclusives anymore. As soon as Mass Effect became an EA property, it was always possible to bring ME1 over to other platforms. Just because Microsoft published the original game, they didn't own the IP, or the game. Same thing happened with Ninja Gaiden 2. Microsoft published that game, and it was still brought over to PS3 later with more features.

Only reason MGS4 is still only on PS3, is is that it would take too much work to port it over because of the way it was made. If they could do it easily and cheap, and bring it over to other platforms, they would I'm sure.

Bittercup

My copy of the ME Trilogy (EU version) just arrived:
cimg2018hrl35.jpg

ME1 has a mandatory install (says 3566MB on the back) and is taking rather long.
Sadly no manual. Just the usual 5 pages black&white with security and health informations etc.

I can make screenshots when the install is complete :) 47%

cimg2018hrl35.jpg

ME1 has a mandatory install (says 3566MB on the back) and is taking rather long.
Sadly no manual. Just the usual 5 pages black&white with security and health informations etc.

Do you live in germany or austria ?

Killthee

http://www.abload.de/img/cimg2018hrl35.jpg

Sweet! Can you tell us if the ME1 trophies match the original achievements on the 360.

Here's the achievement list:http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Achievements

Top Bottom