• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect (PS3) |OT| Shepard's love is not exclusive

xion4360

There is also a bunch of minor ME1 characters that shows up in ME2 that i assume were not there before on ME2 PS3 before the Trilogy package. Like Fist, Helena, that "Thorian Asari", Parsini or the Asari in Virmire before
you meet Sovereign
. Am i missing anything else?

Assuming you don't kill any of them. :D Should be worth it for PS3 players new to ME1 to replay ME2.

Those and Conrad are it pretty much, plus some emails.

Can we get someone to livestream it or at least upload a video on Youtube please.

KageMaru

Still my favorite title in the trilogy.

Sucks that the flaws from the 360 version remain, you would figure they would use the newest iteration of the engine. Still I hope ps3 owners can look past the flaws and enjoy the game.

Mxrz

EA is annoying. Not putting the ME3 DLC in the trilogy makes it tempting to just ignore ME3 altogether and snag this off the PSN instead. But then I'd probably buy ME3 on impulse one day, and miss out on the snazzy ME1/trilogy box and still have to pay for the DLC.

Foxix Von

EA is annoying. Not putting the ME3 DLC in the trilogy makes it tempting to just ignore ME3 altogether and snag this off the PSN instead. But then I'd probably buy ME3 on impulse one day, and miss out on the snazzy ME1/trilogy box and still have to pay for the DLC.

Eh.... I honestly wish I had stuck with my decision to avoid ME3. Playing it was a mistake. No, not because of the ending. I just felt it stripped away most of the features and focus that made me fall in love with the series. That and the terrible writing felt like they were basically butchering my favorite characters.

That being said I already own 2 & 3 for the PS3 and 1 & 2 for the 360. It'd make more sense for me to just get use some coupons at best buy and get a $20 PSN card for $10 to buy ME1 and call it a day.

There is also a bunch of minor ME1 characters that shows up in ME2 that i assume were not there before on ME2 PS3 before the Trilogy package. Like Fist, Helena, that "Thorian Asari", Parsini or the Asari in Virmire ... . Am i missing anything else?

Assuming you don't kill any of them. :D Should be worth it for PS3 players new to ME1 to replay ME2.

Those and Conrad are it pretty much, plus some emails.

Wait, is this legit? There are characters in ME2 from ME1 that are only on this release and are not on the ME2 retail release? Am I understanding this right? Please explain. What impact does this have? Fewer side quests?

Foxix Von

Wait, is this legit? There are characters in ME2 from ME1 that are only on this release and are not on the ME2 retail release? Am I understanding this right? Please explain. What impact does this have? Fewer side quests?

Actually this is a really good question. I assumed that this was basically being patched in... but is this exclusive to the trilogy?

Patryn

No, they were always there. It's just that it was impossible to have them show up until now, when you could import an ME1 save. The save importation tracked a ton more than just the few choices you got in the comic, and the default flags had all those characters not showing up. Now you can play ME1 and end up with a save where those flags are flipped and the characters will show up.

xion4360

Actually this is a really good question. I assumed that this was basically being patched in... but is this exclusive to the trilogy?

Im sure it was or will be patched in. Or perhaps it was always in the code to begin with.

EDIT: Cleared up.

No, they were always there. It's just that it was impossible to have them show up until now, when you could import an ME1 save. The save importation tracked a ton more than just the few choices you got in the comic, and the default flags had all those characters not showing up. Now you can play ME1 and end up with a save where those flags are flipped and the characters will show up.

Thanks! This clears things up. :)

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Just glanced at a stream... it looks like it takes a lot longer to save to me. Or am I imagining things?
I saw 1 auto save when I popped in and it did look like it took a second or two more than the 360 version. Worst part of it is it pauses the game during the operation just like the 360 version.

I can't tell if some of the choppiness is because of the game running at a bad framerate, or the stream is just shitty =/
Stream quality is low. The other one is a bit more stable.

Hobbun

Will ME3 in this trilogy have the DLC for the extended ending?

Not sure if that’s “Bring down the Sky”, but I’m guessing it’s not.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

Bring down the sky is a ME1 DLC, and I don't know if the extended cut is included or not, but even if it isn't, it's a free download anyway.

Killthee

They wanted to avoid paying new certification fees so they're just using the builds they already have certified (launch retail build) for this new trilogy pack. You can download the free Extended Cut dlc by logging into the PS Store.

As for Bringing Down the Sky, that's a dlc pack for ME1. It's included for free in all versions (standalone ME1 PSN release, retail/PSN trilogy).

Bittercup

Oh, only 10 save slots per character profile :( And the save file is copy protected that I can't even juggle with an USB stick to get more slots.

I'm now on Therum. Still no fps-problems and texture loading problems are extremely few and only for a second on rare occasions. Mostly after quick-travelling on the citadel when the game makes an auto-save right after arriving. During normal gameplay I haven't seen any texture pop-ins.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I have played all the games on PC, but Ill buy this anyway and do a full run with controller an couch. Im a Mass Effect junkie.

Rothgil

Neo Member
Played this for a bit, I've completed the game on 360 when it originally came out and later on PC.

Several things:
-lengthy install at the start
-I've had no texture pop-in or DREs which were really common on 360 and seen every now and then on PC.
-Saving takes a while
-Performance, save for the aforementioned textures and DREs, is about on par with 360 maybe smoother. It's been a while since I played that version.

I can't say I would really recommend it to casual ME2/3 players. It's very rough around the edges. If you're a diehard ME fan and don't own a PC or 360 then go for it.

Melchiah

Played this for a bit, I've completed the game on 360 when it originally came out and later on PC.

Several things:
-lengthy install at the start
-I've had no texture pop-in or DREs which were really common on 360 and seen every now and then on PC.
-Saving takes a while
-Performance, save for the aforementioned textures and DREs, is about on par with 360 maybe smoother. It's been a while since I played that version.

That was an issue with ME3 as well. I don't remember how it was in ME2.

Killthee

Standalone release and trilogy bundle are up on the NA store. Use search or go to Games -> New on PS3 -> All New Releases -> Filter: PS3

Yuripaw

Banned
This is why I hate the time of day PSN updates >_< game is finally available, but now gotta sit most of the evening for the 7gb+ download. They need to do at like 3am on tuesday morning, especially since PSN is now releasing retail games on release date.

Lime

This release never got an UE upgrade, I presume? The lighting in ME1 could especially benefit greatly from the UDK improvements since 2007.

RPGCrazied

So whats the word? Does it run better on PS3 than 360? Zero tearing makes me happy. Though texture pop in is annoying as well. I'm glad to hear it runs a bit better at least. Got the trilogy ordered today.

iLLmAtlc

That was an issue with ME3 as well. I don't remember how it was in ME2.

I can't imagine a single thing ME2 was able to do better than ME3, performance wise. You guys remember how damn long it took to get from floor to floor on the damn Normandy in ME2? That shit was crazy.

How much is Mass Effect 3 going for on PSN now? (i'm at work)

I ask because I already own ME2 via PSN and wanted to see if it would just be cheaper to DL ME1 and 3 instead of buying the hard copy trilogy

thanks!

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I remember counting Mississippis (sometimes 4+) when waiting for textures to load on the 360, it can't be as bad as that.

It is $15 on PSN I think.

Replicant

Can I just buy the 1st disc without the other 2? I don't see the point of buying the trilogy since it doesn't even come in a fancy Steelbook.

Sora_N

Finally I can buy the PS3 version of ME, I didn't like playing on PC.

I already own ME2 though (it was $9.99)

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I can't imagine a single thing ME2 was able to do better than ME3, performance wise. You guys remember how damn long it took to get from floor to floor on the damn Normandy in ME2? That shit was crazy.

Ironically, the loading times on the Normandy in the PC version of ME2 only takes 2 or 3 seconds.

Everywhere else in the game? Gotta wait around 20 secs.

Massa

Can I just buy the 1st disc without the other 2? I don't see the point of buying the trilogy since it doesn't even come in a fancy Steelbook.

No disc, if you just want ME1 your only option is to buy it on PSN. Releasing a $14.99 retail disc is just not viable.

I'm still amazed that this game is coming out for the PS3. Or just came out, I should say.

Glix

No disc, if you just want ME1 your only option is to buy it on PSN. Releasing a $14.99 retail disc is just not viable.

I'm still amazed that this game is coming out for the PS3. Or just came out, I should say.

Why is this? Budget games come out all the time

fernoca

US packaging for the lazy:
VusMC.jpg

EvrnE.jpg
..so nice. Getting mine this Friday, when I get paid!! :p

CronoShot

Got the Trilogy today, starting ME1. I've played bits and pieces of ME1 and ME2, but this will be my first real playthrough of the trilogy.

Before I start, is there any surefire way of getting a good looking face? I know ME2 has codes you can use, but is there anything like that for ME1? I'm terribly at making create-a-character, but I don't just want to use Default Shepard either.

Killthee

..so nice. Getting mine this Friday, when I get paid!! :p
It really is. I think I'm just gonna wait on a price drop for it instead of purchasing the PSN version of ME.

Why is this? Budget games come out all the time
I can't recall a budget game from this gen launching at $15. The two coming out this month (Walking Dead & Guardians of Middle Earth) are $30 and both of them are new games. I can't imagine them making much of a profit on a $15 retail release of a port of a 5 year old game.

Got the Trilogy today, starting ME1. I've played bits and pieces of ME1 and ME2, but this will be my first real playthrough of the trilogy.

Before I start, is there any surefire way of getting a good looking face? I know ME2 has codes you can use, but is there anything like that for ME1? I'm terribly at making create-a-character, but I don't just want to use Default Shepard either.
You can try using the ME2 face database and their ME2->ME1 tool.

Melchiah

Finally I can buy the PS3 version of ME, I didn't like playing on PC.

Same here. In fact, I deleted the game from my laptop immediately when I heard it was coming to PS3.

I'd buy the trilogy, and double-dip ME2+3, if it only had fem-Shep on the cover. What point is there to buy a game, which features some guy you've never played as on the cover?

RPGCrazied

Probably to early to tell, but does three have the extended ending dlc on disc? I already have it downloaded just in case though.

Zen

Banned
If the PS3 version of ME really does run well, then i'll definately double dip. One of the best games ever for me. Janky at times, flawed, but I'll always love it far more than the two sequels despite that.

I'll probably buy this trilogy even though I play ME on the PC, I love ME1 that much.

Yuripaw

Banned
I haven't played any of these games, so I'm definitely interested.

Ya know...as much as I hate the ending of the third game, and how it kinda ruined a lot of the series for me...I still say go for it. The first ME is still a hell of a game, the second game has some much better gameplay and great characters. ME3...well...the multiplayer's awesome

Top Bottom