• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Ops II Gets To $1 Billion In Sales in 15 days

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
So what is a challenging FPS on consoles anyway?
halojts.jpg

peetfeet

What sort of comparison is that? Does a ticket to the movies cost the same as a full price CoD game? Nope.

Kade

So what is a challenging FPS on consoles anyway?

Halo series
Far Cry series
Crysis series

Basically any FPS that has actual AI and enemy variety. Some of the Call of Duty games on Veteran are pretty challenging as well but that's because of a variable change as opposed to carefully designed encounters, placements and the composition of obstacles and enemies.

Violater

I guess but in type of entertainment, when is the best thing also the most popular? COD at least has the advantage of being the best at what it does.

Yes it is the best at cashing in, which is fine for the people making the money but not for what it has basically done to the industry.

LowParry

Halo series
Far Cry series
Crysis series

Basically any FPS that has actual AI and enemy variety. Some of the Call of Duty games on Veteran are pretty challenging as well but that's because of a variable change as opposed to carefully designed encounters, placements and the composition of obstacles and enemies.

Ohhhh, for single player. Yeah, completely agree. I thought MP was in question. Dur.

Zaptruder

Banned
I don't understand why people hate on them for being successful.

Industry ruining? Really? What do you expect them to do? Release one or two games and step aside from what makes them millions of dollars each year?

Oh, I don't blame them for milking it.

I'm just dismayed that it keeps selling.

Anyway, in response to another dude that I'm too lazy to hit the back button to quote: Last 12 months would be BF3. And Crytek Warfighter (or whatever that one is). But the influence doesn't have to be just in modern shooters... it's more pervasive than that.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Black Ops 2 is definitely a better game compared to past CoD efforts. However, interesting here is that Activision hasn't revealed how many units have been sold, nor are they thumping on how it's the best-selling CoD in history, etc. Maybe because it's not?

Up to now, I don't think Acti has released the sales figures for MW3's overall sales figures broken down per platform, no? Analysts are saying that it is lower than Black Ops 1. So, the franchise money train is getting a bit slower, I expect, but we won't see it get affected much until BF4 or Respawn's game, Destiny, take a big chunk out of it.

I can already tell next year's MW4 vs. BF4 sales war will be very interesting. Yes, chances are MW4 will beat it, but seeing as BF3 already hit 17 mil shipped, it's the closet any game got to CoD sales, right?

Cloudy

Banned
It's by far the most popular franchise right now. Bigger than Madden, Halo, 2K and everything else. I know several people who ONLY play CoD games lol

meta4

I dont get it. Even if my favorite franchises get released every year I would prob get tired of them. Hell if Portal/Half Life/UC/GTA etc get released every year I would get bored eventually. How the hell does this franchise still make people buy it every freakin year. It just does not make any sense..

AHA-Lambda

Black Ops 2 is definitely a better game compared to past CoD efforts. However, interesting here is that Activision hasn't revealed how many units have been sold, nor are they thumping on how it's the best-selling CoD in history, etc. Maybe because it's not?

Up to now, I don't think Acti has released the sales figures for MW3's overall sales figures broken down per platform, no? Analysts are saying that it is lower than Black Ops 1. So, the franchise money train is getting a bit slower, I expect, but we won't see it get affected much until BF4 or Respawn's game, Destiny, take a big chunk out of it.

I can already tell next year's MW4 vs. BF4 sales war will be very interesting. Yes, chances are MW4 will beat it, but seeing as BF3 already hit 17 mil shipped, it's the closet any game got to CoD sales, right?

This. There is definitely a decline going on in CoD now.

I would think sales would have to be way up to beat it considering they're not getting another $50 from people buying Elite.

Elite was not considered a success.

Can anyone else back that up? CoD4 had one of my fav FPS campaigns. Might have to pick this up

I can, loved the campaign in this instalment.

kswiston

When are we going to see this series plateau?

The series started to plateau with Black Ops. MW3 sold quicker at the beginning, but ultimately failed to sell as many copies as Black Ops by a decent margin. I expect the same sort of thing for Black Ops 2. Still, I don't think Activision cares much when that plateau is 25-30M copies an entry.

2San

Ohhhh, for single player. Yeah, completely agree. I thought MP was in question. Dur.
Well if we are talking shooters in general, Gears of War has a pretty nice skill progression. It's not as crazy has the arena shooters of old, but there's definitely a learning curve in place. With a heavy focus on team work.

LowParry

I dont get it. Even if my favorite franchises get released every year I would prob get tired of them. Hell if Portal/Half Life/UC/GTA etc get released every year I would get bored eventually. How the hell does this franchise still make people buy it every freakin year. It just does not make any sense..

Because it's a fun game that probably fills up on you friends list each year?

Well if we are talking shooters in general, Gears of War has a pretty nice skill progression. It's not as crazy has the arena shooters of old, but there's definitely a learning curve in place. With a heavy focus on team work.

Gears. It did have some learning curve behind it. The whole wall bounce thing. Hip fire with a shotty. Missing that game already. If only Epic went back to the ways of Gears 1...

danmaku

If you're talking about individual games, GTA4 sold 20+ million copies iirc. Mario Kart Wii easily destroys any CoD game (32+ million copies).

Can anyone else back that up? CoD4 had one of my fav FPS campaigns. Might have to pick this up

While its def better than MW2 and 3 its kinda on par with BO1 and not even close the feeling I had when I played MW1.

MW1 has something about it. It had movie style set pieces, it had stealthy bits, it had full gun fight bits, it had a sense of urgency and it had a story that while wasn't high quality writing, was simple and action movie like enough to give it a great feeling over all.

All the COD games after feel like they are trying to top it by replacing the things that made MW1 great with more splosions and CRAZY plot twists.

This game has some good bits and some really dumb bits. The choices you have are OK I guess and a nice extra but some bits feel really forced and don't really give you an option when you think it should have one. Bad guy hulking out was dumb and so on.

However the story wasn't as much a mess as some of the others and that helps it rise above them. But still not even close to MW1. Stuff like the AC bomber mission and the sniper mission just havn't even come close to being matched. Those seem to be the best bits about MW1 that the following games got rid of for more splosions and CRAZY plot twists.

Il prob go back and play MW1 again at some point. (played it on all difficulties on xbox and later got it for PC and played it again). I had no desire to replay MW2 apart from to get the achievements. BO1 I didn't bother replaying (I guess I had got over achievement lust or something) and MW3 I just played some round my mates house and decided to skip it. I might replay this one because of the choice system but I don't exactly have a strong pull to do so.

The multiplayer is kinda fun still. Already stopped playing but thats a combo of getting kinda bored and the annoying stutter I cant fix on my PC version (common problem). Fix the stutter and Il prob start playing again. The spawn system assures that kill streaks are harder to achieve and can be annoying....flip side is that high score streaks are not as common as BO2 which is kinda nice.

I can see why people love the online..... I do for about a week or 2... I just personally get kinda bored of it quickly and move on but go back and have a blast now and then.

Dysun

Black Ops 2 is probably the best CoD to date. Congrats to Treyarch

I know I've played (and enjoyed) it more than any other recent release

While its def better than MW2 and 3 its kinda on par with BO1 and not even close the feeling I had when I played MW1.

MW1 has something about it. It had movie style set pieces, it had stealthy bits, it had full gun fight bits, it had a sense of urgency and it had a story that while wasn't high quality writing, was simple and action movie like enough to give it a great feeling over all.

All the COD games after feel like they are trying to top it by replacing the things that made MW1 great with more splosions and CRAZY plot twists.

This game has some good bits and some really dumb bits. The choices you have are OK I guess and a nice extra but some bits feel really forced and don't really give you an option when you think it should have one. Bad guy hulking out was dumb and so on.

However the story wasn't as much a mess as some of the others and that helps it rise above them. But still not even close to MW1. Stuff like the AC bomber mission and the sniper mission just havn't even come close to being matched. Those seem to be the best bits about MW1 that the following games got rid of for more splosions and CRAZY plot twists.

Il prob go back and play MW1 again at some point. (played it on all difficulties on xbox and later got it for PC and played it again). I had no desire to replay MW2 apart from to get the achievements. BO1 I didn't bother replaying (I guess I had got over achievement lust or something) and MW3 I just played some round my mates house and decided to skip it. I might replay this one because of the choice system but I don't exactly have a strong pull to do so.

The multiplayer is kinda fun still. Already stopped playing but thats a combo of getting kinda bored and the annoying stutter I cant fix on my PC version (common problem). Fix the stutter and Il prob start playing again. The spawn system assures that kill streaks are harder to achieve and can be annoying....flip side is that high score streaks are not as common as BO2 which is kinda nice.

I can see why people love the online..... I do for about a week or 2... I just personally get kinda bored of it quickly and move on but go back and have a blast now and then.

Thanks bud, I'll wait till it's around 20-30 bucks.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Congrats.

Hope Activision starts doing something fresh and interesting with that extra money they've got sitting around with other games.

Say what you want about Call of Duty, but they give the fans what they want every year. I don't have Black Ops 2 yet but from what I've played of the MP at a friend's house it is the best one since 4.

Top Bottom