• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Ops II Gets To $1 Billion In Sales in 15 days

ohlawd

Good shit Treyarch, good shit.

This series is popular because it's uncontested in the console department. Its only competition is Halo and its on one console lol. Why are people even asking such a question? Plus pew pew pew'ing people is fun.

ironcreed

Banned
It's by far the most popular franchise right now. Bigger than Madden, Halo, 2K and everything else. I know several people who ONLY play CoD games lol

3870190_o.gif

I dont know why its that hard to understand why its still popular.

It used to me quake and Unreal Tourny games that ran the show. Those got replaced with CoD style combat.

Until someone changes the style again to be fast, fun and accessible it will keep selling well.

Battlefields great but its not as simple and quick to get into. Others that try and copy the formula dont succeed because CoD does it better. Its pretty simple really.

I was playing unreal tournament games up until CoD took over. Before that it was what? duke nukem and doom? Id say the first quake as well maybe.

There has always been the few online games that do well and others having much smaller player bases on the sidelines. Most accessible and simple fun game will win as they appeal to the most people. This is even more true since gaming has got more popular.

Skunkers

Can anyone else back that up? CoD4 had one of my fav FPS campaigns. Might have to pick this up

Oh absolutely. I was less than impressed by BO1 and MW3 so I planned to skip this one until I played a bit at a friend's house. The "future warfare" setting is an awesome change of pace, and is realized fairly well. Also, the branching storyline makes the game a lot of fun to replay, as I've gotten some pretty drastically different outcomes on subsequent playthroughs. It may not be for you if you're looking for a more plodding, realistic pace to it; as some of the later levels pretty much outright put you on the set of a Michael Bay movie. But I thought that was awesome.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
If you're talking about individual games, GTA4 sold 20+ million copies iirc. Mario Kart Wii easily destroys any CoD game (32+ million copies).

Yeah, but that fact is never highlighted much, no?

This. There is definitely a decline going on in CoD now.

Elite was not considered a success.

I can, loved the campaign in this instalment.

I think so, too. Every year my friends list are populated with CoD players whenever one is launched. For Black Ops 2, there are lots of people playing it, but t's mostly mixed now. Ironic since this is the first CoD game I've been digging in a long while.

The only annoying thing with CoD continually selling like this is the fact that Acti/Treyarch/IW can treat people like shit.

Black Ops 2 for the PS3 is borked as shit right now. I can't even count how many times it crashed my PS3. Not to mention I can't even tell if it's my net that's lagging or the framerate...based on my experience, sometimes it's both. Not even touching lag compensation, which makes shooting everyone head-on such a bitch. I'm rocking a 1.5 K/D in the game, but truth be told, that should be higher.

I'm still hoping Respawn's game will be my replacement twitch-shooter fix, while Battlefield is there for my main FPS MP.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
doesnt need to sell as many copies as the last if its making more money just means people are buying the more expensive editions, which means people are hooked onto Call Of Duty than the year before. if they are making more money then it doesnt matter if the unit sales are down....

antitrop

Wait, didn't I just read a few days ago that Black Ops II was selling much slower than Modern Warfare 3?
Fucking video game news.

I do think that Black Ops II is a MARKED improvement over MW3. I think MW3 is a straight up bad game, like a 4/10, I despise it with every ounce of my being. Black Ops II is a fantastic product, however, and I feel like it clearly establishes Treyarch as the leader of the CoD franchise with Infinity Ward now being the B-team. (Rather, the F-Team, if you take into account how much of a terrible pile MW3 was).

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
I would think sales would have to be way up to beat it considering they're not getting another $50 from people buying Elite.
There was no $150 edition of Modern Warfare 3. I think they deliberately funneled people to the $99 edition to get them to try Elite.

thefit

Well deserved.

Best CoD single player campaign since Call of Duty 4.

What?....no I'm sorry but its boring and the music blows. As someone that has had them all on pc no less this is by far the most boring story even more than Black Ops 1 with its horrible seizure cut ins.

AHA-Lambda

Wait, didn't I just read a few days ago that Black Ops II was selling much slower than Modern Warfare 3?
Fucking video game news.

I do think that Black Ops II is a MARKED improvement over MW3. I think MW3 is a straight up bad game, like a 4/10, I despise it with every ounce of my being. Black Ops II is a fantastic product, however, and I feel like it clearly establishes Treyarch as the leader of the CoD franchise with Infinity Ward now being the B-team. (Rather, the F-Team, if you take into account how much of a terrible pile MW3 was).

I still wouldn't take it as news of no decline though.

Rad-

I don't understand why people hate on them for being successful.

Industry ruining? Really? What do you expect them to do? Release one or two games and step aside from what makes them millions of dollars each year?

Make the games great for one. CoD4 was the only genuinely good one out of them. You didn't see that many people hating on that. It started after it because the following games were so underwhelming in comparison.

Well I haven't played BO2 yet so can't pass judgement on that.

Top Bottom