• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3: The NeoGAF Tournament (a Professor Beef joint)

iyQfcD1iBx4rQ.jpg

IT HAS BEGUN

Welcome to the UMvC3 NeoGAF Tournament, hosted by yours truly. If you would like to sign up, please make a post with your GAF username, system of choice (PS3, 360, PC), and your username for that system. You may enter both sides if you wish. Please post in the following format:

GAF username
System - username
System - username

I'll be taking signups through the weekend, and probably into the week after, depending on the number of entrants over the weekend. Now that that's out of the way, here are some things you need to know.
  • Standard tournament rules apply (best 3/5 per round, loser can switch teams, etc). Finals on each side of the bracket will be FT5, however.
  • Players have one week to finish their bracket match. For example, let's say duckroll beats EviLore on Tuesday. That means duckroll has until the upcoming Tuesday to beat Cyan, and EviLore has until that same Tuesday to beat Account Approvals. If one person doesn't put any effort into contacting the other, the latter will get the win. If neither person does, it will be settled via coin flip.
  • If you can't make your match and KNOW you can't play it within the span of a week, let me know and I will DQ you so we can hurry and advance the bracket. If for some reason you can't connect to your opponent via Capcom's fantastic revolutionary netcode, then find a third person to host a room and see if you can connect that way. If that still doesn't work and you cannot find a solution, it will be settled via coin flip.
  • Seriously though, guys. It's 2013. We have many different ways of communicating with each other. You can PM people on GAF. You can send them messages via Steam, AIM, Skype, Google Talk, Facebook, Friendster, or even on your console. There's a spreadsheet that has everyone's PSN/360 usernames here. I even made an IRC room. The point is, there should be no excuses for not having a way to contact your opponent. Make an effort. Don't be lazy like Virtua Fighter players. Be proactive, like Smash players.
    Kappa
  • I made a Challonge account just for the occasion. When sign-ups are finalized, I'll post the link to the bracket so there's no confusion.
If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know and I will be happy to reassure you or make fun of you depending on what you say.

BRACKETS CAN BE FOUND HERE:
PS3

Dahbomb

Oh wait nvm pic didn't load for me.

The MK "It has begun" pic will be used until the end of time. Legendary.

Tell me if you guys can see the brackets or not. This is only a test, so don't worry about it starting.

PS3

Upon further consideration, any alternative would probably be equally terrible... I've just had bad luck with flaky participants.

Just stick to your guns about deadlines.
I always do. Here's hoping you don't get stuck with flakes.
Not that Beef wrote, it's just a douchey thing to do.

lol

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I could stream/record the 360 side if my schedule matches up. I should be available most weeknights.

JeTmAn81

Not that Beef wrote, it's just a douchey thing to do.

Deal with it. It's unreasonable to expect that every participant will have a wired connection, especially when it's not specified in the rules. If you want to avoid lag, don't play online.

Beef, you should sign up.

Deal with it. It's unreasonable to expect that every participant will have a wired connection, especially when it's not specified in the rules. If you want to avoid lag, don't play online.
You're actually the only PS3 player on Marvel-GAF who is wireless that I know of. Considering that you're just too lazy to move your system out of respect for others (your 360 is wired), it seems like it's worth pointing out. No, it's not unreasonable to expect someone entering a tournament to put a bit of effort into ensuring a good connection for online play. It's not like you have an inability to rectify your situation.

Forgot to sign up for my own gotdamn tournament. smh

And give it a rest, Karst. Having a wired connection is nice, but isn't required, and I won't make it one. Settle it via PM or something, but keep that discussion out of this thread.

JeTmAn81

Beef, you should sign up.

You're actually the only PS3 player on Marvel-GAF who is wireless that I know of. Considering that you're just too lazy to move your system out of respect for others (your 360 is wired), it seems like it's worth pointing out. No, it's not unreasonable to expect someone entering a tournament to put a bit of effort into ensuring a good connection for online play. It's not like you have an inability to rectify your situation.

The PS3 is downstairs because it's my only Bluray player and theres no room upstairs. Also I have a much better router now. And I know there will be others in these tournaments with wireless connections so either ban everyone else or quit griping. You're not even the one running this thing.

Forgot to sign up for my own gotdamn tournament. smh

And give it a rest, Karst. Having a wired connection is nice, but isn't required, and I won't make it one. Settle it via PM or something, but keep that discussion out of this thread.
If he'd just be honest and say "I don't care how good my connection is, and I'm not willing to put effort into it", instead of making a bunch of shitty excuses, I wouldn't push it at all. I'm totally attacking the bullshit angle here, I'm not trying to make up rules for your tournament.

The PS3 is downstairs because it's my only Bluray player and theres no room upstairs. Also I have a much better router now. And I know there will be others in these tournaments with wireless connections so either ban everyone else or quit griping. You're not even the one running this thing.
You don't have to explain the "I'm too lazy". Clearly I'm not running the tournament, or making the standards. I am a player discussing player etiquette with another player, though.

Top Bottom