• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 1, 2013 (Dec 31 - Jan 06)

nickcv

Repost from last thread.

This is what's currenty announced for Wii U in Japan:

01.31.13 Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 (Koei)
02.21.13 Tank! Tank! Tank! (Namco)
03.14.13 Need for Speed: Most Wanted - A Criterion Game (Electronic Arts)

early 2013: Game & Wario (Nintendo)

spring 2013: Dragon Quest X: Mezameshi Itsutsu no Shuzoku Online (Square Enix)
spring 2013: Pikmin 3 (Nintendo)
spring 2013: Wii Fit U (Nintendo)

tba: Bayonetta 2 (Nintendo)
tba: LEGO City Undercover (Nintendo)
tba: Monolith Soft project (Nintendo)
tba: Rayman Legends (Nintendo)
tba: Super Smash Bros. (Nintendo)
tba: The Wonderful 101 (Nintendo)

aaaand we are done
:(

Japan is embracing 3DS as its main console

what makes you think so?

LqVqu.png

DISCLAIMER: Famitsu Top 30 Software
277y3.png

Subaru

I'm just thinking that the sales dept. are gonna talk tomorrow with Iwata and tell him that he NEEDS to make a new Nintendo Direct to show Wii U software. Just to create some hype, you know? Kid Icarus and Luigi's Mansion were delayed but at least was some software that we knew that someday would be launched.
Show us Mario Kart 8 and Retro Studios Game!

Kazerei

Banned
A more "zoomed out" picture of the Wii U hardware sales.

It won't join the "winner's circle" (3DS, GBA, Wii, NDS, PS2), but it won't join the "loser's circle" either (GCN, PS3, DC, PSV). Will probably be somewhere in between, like the PSP.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
When they announced their "launch window" lineup, I thought Nintendo had positioned themselves well. But as every week goes by, it looks more and more like they really overelied on NSMB U.

I can kind of understand why.

They probably looked at the line-up of "2D Mario, Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, Wii Sports Successor" and were like "Well this looks fine."

I don't think they expected that to not be enough, but I also feel they didn't consider how much competition their own handheld could conceptually be to their platform.

tuffy

When they announced their "launch window" lineup, I thought Nintendo had positioned themselves well. But as every week goes by, it looks more and more like they really overelied on NSMB U.

I believe the "evergreen" nature of NSMBU and Nintendo Land could help keep the Wii U sales from completely falling apart - analogous to how the 3DS limped along for a long time but never sank to Vita levels. But like the 3DS, Nintendo needs to announce that major titles are coming and get them out by the end of the year.

Road

http://i.imgur.com/FKOVf.png

It won't join the "winner's circle" (3DS, GBA, Wii, NDS, PS2), but it won't join the "loser's circle" either (GCN, PS3, DC, PSV). Will probably be somewhere in between, like the PSP.

The 3DS saying "Fuck this loser shit. I'm outta here" will always be funny.

it's N/A
there's no data for vita software this week

Maybe include "Famitsu Top 30 Software " or something on the charts, to avoid the confusion?

Smellycat

Amazing numbers for the 3DS! If only it can repeat these numbers outside of Japan... :\

Mario Kart should hit the 2 million mark before the then of January.

Nintendo "thinks" the major problem with the 3DS launch was because they showed software too early and that had people angry about buying the 3DS early.

So with the WiiU, they won't show anything anytime soon to avoid this problem. This is what they learned from 3DS.

The problem is, both Wii U and the 3DS software launch sucked, but the 3DS still had the promising future.

Brilliant strategy, lets have an awful launch lineup and not show any future titles, that will move units!

It really is amazing how incompetent this company has been the last 3 years.

They probably looked at the line-up of "2D Mario, Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, Wii Sports Successor" and were like "Well this looks fine."

I don't think they expected that to not be enough, but I also feel they didn't consider how much competition their own handheld could conceptually be to their platform.

In Japan? I think they saw the potential for the 3DS to do it and just decided to go with it either way. I actually think they are more concerned with the Wii U and (to a much lesser extent) the 3DS performance outside of Japan.

This is Nintendo being complacent wrt Wii U in the Japanese market.

Nekki

2 more weeks (give or take) until MK7 reaches 2M. A couple months for SM3DL. Where does MH3G stand in totals?? (Sammy i'm summoning you)

I just noticed Yakuza 5 is tracking quite nicely, slightly behind 4, but still great numbers.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

Still seems like a miscalculation. Looking back at 2006, Nintendo was much more aggressive with fist party stuff. In addition to Wii Sports and Wii Play, you had Zelda, Pokemon, and Wario by December and Fire Emblem by the end of February 2007.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I believe the "evergreen" nature of NSMBU and Nintendo Land could help keep the Wii U sales from completely falling apart - analogous to how the 3DS limped along for a long time but never sank to Vita levels. But like the 3DS, Nintendo needs to announce that major titles are coming and get them out by the end of the year.

Yes- both titles are selling well and should help avoid a total Vita situation. But that isn't saying much.

Nekki

Nintendo "thinks" the major problem with the 3DS launch was because they showed software too early and that had people angry about buying the 3DS early.

So with the WiiU, they won't show anything anytime soon to avoid this problem. This is what they learned from 3DS.

The problem is, both Wii U and the 3DS software launch sucked, but the 3DS still had the promising future.

Brilliant strategy, lets have an awful launch lineup and not show any future titles, that will move units!

It really is amazing how incompetent this company has been the last 3 years.

"Flipped like a pancake"

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Great numbers for the 3DS!

Now, if only some of those Japan titles would get localized ... :(.

I think the Wii U will decline throughout most of Q1 and bump when DQX hits stores. Though Q2 and Q3 are probably going to be steady declines until the Holiday titles. We'll see what Nintendo has in store at E3 and their various Nintendo Direct presentations.

Still seems like a miscalculation. Looking back at 2006, Nintendo was much more aggressive with fist party stuff. In addition to Wii Sports and Wii Play, you had Zelda, Pokemon, and Wario by December and Fire Emblem by the end of February 2007.

Exactly.

Nintendo's revealed lineup should have all been released by the end of this month.

- Wii Fit U
- NSMBU
- Nintendoland
- Wonderful 101
- Game and Wario
- Pikmin 3

All these games were revealed at E3 as launch games. They should be out by now.

The fact they are spreading games out must mean they don't have a lot lined up for Wii U, hitch is completely ridiculous.

Delayed 3DS games, non existent end of life Wii support, and little Wii U software.

This lack of output is the result of one man, Miyamoto. He is the bottleneck at nintendo

Yes- both titles are selling well and should help avoid a total Vita situation. But that isn't saying much.

Nintendo Land is surprisingly showing legs. After some poor figures week one, I was expecting it to slide down. But nope.

NSMBU sales...I don't know. NSMB2 is showing strong legs now (anyone got NSMB LTD for the same stage?); I think for a hardware seller that makes NSMBU pretty much on its own as less of a pull.

Claymores

Banned
Still think it's hilarious the hate the WII U is getting, it's selling well and they still try to spin the numbers as been bad.

Elios83

3DS is dominating the japanese market and Nintendo did a great job in securing the right contents to attract japanese gamers.
Wii U numbers are basically being held up by the festivities (which cannot even avoid weekly declines) but the system sales are clearly about to collapse. They will need to take actions to make this system a success.
Good PS3 and suprising Vita numbers.

BowieZ

Banned
The 3DS strategy to sell less than anticipated, lose money and then sell less than anticipated again? Genius!
I don't think the point is Nintendo planned to perform average at best (and let's be clear, it's not struggling, it's simply performing average, so far), and of course they had hoped to perform better, but I don't think they're necessarily worried, and the slow starts and eventual booms of past consoles, particularly DS and 3DS means they have experience with successful backup plans.

They have probably 10 key unannounced first party Wii U games ready to go in Japan by Holiday 2013, with a little last minute fast tracking here or there, by my calculations. So profit may be slim for the first year, but relative success is really in Nintendo's hands.

The only thing I don't understand is their announcement of such high expectations. I can maybe understand making a mistake with 3DS's initial sales projections but their lofty Wii U predictions (5m worldwide by March 31) bewilder me, especially considering Nintendo's conservatism. Is there some strategy involved here, to appease investors? Even GAF could have provided more realistic numbers.

Still think it's hilarious the hate the WII U is getting, it's selling well and they still try to spin the numbers as been bad.

It's sold some good numbers indeed

But it has been declining every week throughout the holidays, even on weeks it should have received a bump in sales. This is a bad sign.

It will plummet next week and will remain at those levels (20-30k) until they eventually release something.

Since they haven't even revealed anything, it's going to be a while...

05./08. [3DS] Inazuma Eleven Go 2: Chrono Stone - Neppuu / Raimei <RPG> (Level 5) {2012.12.13} (¥5.500) - 43.223 / 357.613 (-9%)
09./02. [3DS] Fantasy Life <RPG> (Level 5) {2012.12.27} (¥5.800) - 33.510 / 167.518 (-75%)
16./21. [3DS] Professor Layton Vs. Ace Attorney <ADV> (Level 5) {2012.11.29} (¥5.980) - 27.533 / 259.701 (+58%)
27./29. [WII] Inazuma Eleven Go Strikers 2013 <SPT> (Level 5) {2012.12.20} (¥4.980) - 13.460 / 55.298 (+10%)
30./16. [3DS] Inazuma Eleven 1-2-3!! Endou Mamoru Densetsu <RPG> (Level 5) {2012.12.27} (¥5.800) - 11.894 / 34.688 (-48%)

Level-5 is doing nicely.
Inazuma Eleven Go 2 will outsell the predecessor (many thought the IP was basically fucked); Strikers 2013 and the collection are putting respectable numbers given how cheap projects are (and they might sell well over time). Fantasy Life is going to sell over 200k units, and nobody expected that, neither Level-5: its dropoff is due to stock problems mainly. The crossover is selling below expectations but at least it could manage to increase to increase this week and it might reach 300k units.

Overall, 3DS is a quite strong environment for third parties. I'm expecting more announcements in the incoming weeks.

Kacho

It was selling well, but look at the numbers for this week (a big spending week) and imagine what those numbers will be going forward.

Exactly.

Nintendo's revealed lineup should have all been released by the end of this month.

- Wii Fit U
- NSMBU
- Nintendoland
- Wonderful 101
- Game and Wario
- Pikmin 3

All these games were revealed at E3 as launch games. They should be out by now.

The fact they are spreading games out must mean they don't have a lot lined up for Wii U, hitch is completely ridiculous.

Delayed 3DS games, non existent end of life Wii support, and little Wii U software.

This lack of output is the result of one man, Miyamoto. He is the bottleneck at nintendo

I don't think that's being fair.

The Wii U was released prematurely, IMO -- not relevant to its launch lineup but its hardware presentation. It's one thing to release a console with a slow OS and ridiculously big patches, but another thing to release software before they think they're ready. They can fix the hardware issues with patches but there's no fixing rushed games. Pikmin, Game & Wario, 101 etc are all delayed for a legitimate reason and I'm willing to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt here.

Elios83

PSP isn't somewhere between in Japan, it has dominated that market for two years and its LTD numbers are close to PS2.
PS3 is 'somewhere between'.

Top Bottom