• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CES Oculus Rift Reactions

mr2xxx

Banned
Want one so bad but I'm debating if I want to get a dev. kit. Have they announced a time frame for the consumer version?

Atrophis

Sad that mainstream news sites completely ignored the Rift. BBC had articles about a smart fork but nothing about the future of gaming!

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I can't wait to get one of these. Is it too late to buy a Dev kit?

Can't wait to use this with Star Citizen.

Nibel

I think they are pretty on point with stating "this is a digital drug"

I can imagine people who will never take off these glasses :lol living in their own created world

Want one so bad but I'm debating if I want to get a dev. kit. Have they announced a time frame for the consumer version?

I think it may be a while. The way they were talking about it sounded like at least a year from now, maybe 2 years.

Edit: hawken is missing from your list. ^

mr2xxx

Banned
Is there any software I can play with the dev kit?

"The virtual reality Oculus Rift peripheral sounds like a nice bit of kit, but without games that support it the technology will surely fail to capture the imagination of PC gamers worldwide. Well, with the help of an open source community, a toolset called Vireio Perception implements VR support for games such as Mirror's Edge and Skyrim.

Community portal Meant to Be Seen has a page dedicated to the toolset, which also brings Oculus Rift technology to Left 4 Dead, Half-Life 2, Portal 2, DiRT 2, Dear Esther and Unreal Tournament 3. 'Cyberreality' explains how the technology works: "Perception is basically a new stereo 3D driver with 3DOF head-tracking."

Keyouta

I'm really hyped. I bought a dev kit and am hoping to make something for it. The supported software with the dev kit seems pretty good too.

Also, Star Citizen + this will be so awesome!

Pretty much how I feel about the Rift.

shut-up-and-take-my-money-23274.jpg

This might be a weird question, but I can't see 3D effects whether they be active, passive, lenticular, etc. Is this product of any use to me? I've been feeling the hype for so long but have been thinking I'll be left out (THANKS MOM).

BHK3

Banned
Games currently with full or partial support:
  • Left 4 Dead
  • Half-Life 2
  • Portal 2
  • Skyrim
  • Mirror's Edge
  • AaaaAAAAA!!!!!!!!
  • Unreal Tournament 3
  • Dear Esther
  • DiRT 2

And Doom 3 of course.

HNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG WHO DO I GIVE MY MONEY TO???!!??

This might be a weird question, but I can't see 3D effects whether they be active, passive, lenticular, etc. Is this product of any use to me? I've been feeling the hype for so long but have been thinking I'll be left out (THANKS MOM).

Yes. Still has full field of view to make you feel immersed in the game, plus head tracking so it feels like you're really looking around in the game.

I'm sold on this thing. I just hope it gets good software support and expands to consoles. In my mind, this would have been the thing for Nintendo to develop for their Wii successor. Hell, they easily could have financed this.

Zomba13

Would love to see this in action.
Btw any indication for how it'll work for peeps with glasses?
Or we just SOL?

I'm wondering this too.
From what I've seen it might work fine without them. Like, it uses the lenses to magnify the screen so it's be like if the screen was right in front of you. Might work out ok if you're short sighted but not if long sighted.
I hope it works with glasses though. Nvidia's 3D glasses do. If it doesn't I'd have to get contacts again just for this.

I'm wondering this too.
From what I've seen it might work fine without them. Like, it uses the lenses to magnify the screen so it's be like if the screen was right in front of you. Might work out ok if you're short sighted but not if long sighted.
I hope it works with glasses though. Nvidia's 3D glasses do. If it doesn't I'd have to get contacts again just for this.

I've seen people demo it with glasses.

syko de4d

here are some Press reactions

Techreport
http://techreport.com/news/24211/oculus-rift-is-freaking-amazing

Not only does the Rift provide a sense of reality unlike anything else, but it's so comfortable and convincing that I wanted to remain in the virtual space and had no sense of fatigue from having been there.

Toms Hardware
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/oculus-rift-hands-on-preview,3408.html

I felt like I was present for the start of something bigger than anything in the flashiest, most colossal booths on the CES show floor. It was a privilege to see history in the making.

Forbes
http://www.forbes.com/sites/eliseac...ever-an-interview-with-creator-palmer-luckey/

Will Oculus Rift Be The "Coolest Gadget Ever?" An Interview With Creator Palmer Luckey

allthingsd
http://allthingsd.com/20130111/oculus-rift-virtual-reality-headset-puts-you-right-in-the-game/
But, based on my brief interaction with the Oculus Rift, I’d say this is something that should excite both consumers and console makers. While motion-sensor products like the Kinect have breathed some new life into consoles and are making games more immersive, the Oculus Rift takes it a step further and makes virtual reality, well, a reality.

dvice
http://dvice.com/archives/2013/01/heads-on-with-t.php
The effect of this is immediate and dramatic, because it fools your brain into thinking that you're somewhere else. Really. It's amazing

From other Post:
From PopSci Article titled "CES 2013: Oculus Rift Virtual Reality Headset Is Freaking Amazing": "It's impossible to really get across how world-shifting the Rift is; it's exactly like we'd dreamed virtual reality would be. You put on these goggles and you slip into a completely new world, in which your body movements respond pretty much the way they would in the real world. It's comfortable, too, and not particularly heavy, which I was worried about. Feels mostly like ski goggles."

From PopSci "The Rift is certainly one of the most amazing things I've seen at CES this year--hell, in any year. It's not really possible to describe what it's like to use it, but as soon as I put the goggles on and turned my head, I think my mouth dropped. It's flat-out awesome."

From PCWorld "Oculus Rift VR headset prototype works so well it’s a little scary"

From PCMag "After the 3D effect of the Oculus Rift, the head tracking provided the most sense of immersion. I didn't just see objects with depth, I saw them as if I was looking at them with my own eyes. The Oculus Rift tracked every movement of my head as I looked around, tilting and shifting the picture appropriately. I found myself watching a snowflake fall from the sky and moving my head to follow it. I looked from high above my head down to the ground as the snowflake fell. I couldn't see my feet or any other part of my body, but, again, this is a software issue. The effect was still incredible."

From TechRadar "The experience is extremely fluid and natural, to an amazing degree. And in less than a minute, one comes to the realization that this is the bold face of the future of gaming that so many have longed for."

From IGN "This virtual world became more palpable, more real, more believable and instantly became more of a character than just about any other game world I had ever played through. And perhaps that’s the best way to phrase it. In the past, I simply played through worlds. I moved through them. This one made me feel like I was physically in that space. Living in it. Unable to look away, because it was all around me. It’s immersion on an entirely different level."

From CNET "guess what it comes down to is this: the Oculus Rift is the virtual reality we've been promised since the dawn of video gaming, and really, the early days of science fiction. It leaps past all other attempts at the technology and moves into the realm of total immersion. The feeling is so natural that it's effortless to suspend disbelief that you are standing in that place, in that world. And that's with the prototype's crappy LCD screen and early pre-pre-preproduction software and drivers.
When this thing finally ships, with a better screen (can a boy dream for OLED?), and a bunch of software available, it could be a radical shift in gaming and who knows what else."
Makes the hair stand up on the back of your neck to think about the possibilities."

Chris Pirillo tries out the Oculus Rift at CES: "I'm in it. I'm IN the game"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBylGcvRuek

MTBS-TV: Interview With Palmer Luckey, Oculus VR at CES 2013...in 3D!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSuGXPydIiI

Live from the Engadget CES Stage: an interview with Oculus's Palmer Luckey and Nate Mitchell
http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/11/oculus-interview/

This should be enough Press Reaction to hype you all :)

Peterthumpa

What was that comment of the newer prototype getting rid of the "blacks on the side"?
Isn't this supposed to have full coverage of the entire field of view?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Watch these uncut reactions from Candid Anthony and friends as they use the Oculus Rift for the first time. This is truly what next gen gaming will be about. If you get a chance to use this at PAX or E3, DO NOT MISS OUT! It's an incredible experience.

Youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KJo12Hz_BVI

http://www.stfuandplay.com/video/episode/davis-daily-ces-oculus-rift-reactions#.UPW1ZaGH2dM

That was a super cool video. I'd sooner have one of these then a Xbox 720 or PS4. It looks awesome.

Since this is like full peripheral vision can it be set to not do that say if you want to watch a movie? Like the Sony HMZ is like a movie screen can this be set to do that or can it only do peripheral vision like this?

Regardless this looks cool, controlling a character might be difficult it seems but i would have to try it. Next gen consoles have to have this thing be compatible. Hopefully the consumer version is also 300 that would be great.

What was that comment of the newer prototype getting rid of the "blacks on the side"?
Isn't this supposed to have full coverage of the entire field of view?

Right now I believe it has a fov of 110 degrees. It's not quite there, but if you aren't looking super far to the left or right you can't even tell. And because of head tracking, you'll move your head more than your eyes (like real life).

Watched the video. Extremely cool. But it again made me come back to the same question. Small thing but if I play the game with a keyboard and a mouse do I have to learn to type blind? If game uses a large set of keys looks like we would need to be able to hit them without looking. Controller is easy of course.

Yes, but they've mentioned that they are trying to explore alternate control schemes as well. mouse/keyboard may be super accurate, but it doesn't necessarily fit the more immersive realistic experience they're going for.

cdevl

Watched the video. Extremely cool. But it again made me come back to the same question. Small thing but if I play the game with a keyboard and a mouse do I have to learn to type blind? If game uses a large set of keys looks like we would need to be able to hit them without looking. Controller is easy of course.

Since this is like full peripheral vision can it be set to not do that say if you want to watch a movie? Like the Sony HMZ is like a movie screen can this be set to do that or can it only do peripheral vision like this?

I wonder if watching a movie would be akin to watching a movie in a dome IMAX theater? Probably even more so.

I think this thing could totally overshadow nextgen consoles if it catches on. Granted, I'm sure MS and Sony will have their own versions of this soon enough, just like they ended up with their own motion control after the Wii came in and surprised everyone.

chiablo

You guys seriously need to stop posting this shit....

...or I'm going to order a dev kit just to get it sooner, I can't possibly be more excited about this.

Top Bottom