• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CES Oculus Rift Reactions

Rootbeer

Banned
Tempted to try and snag a dev unit... but I think i can wait... 100% sold though, I don't see how anyone couldn't be. This will change everything. At 299 it is a bargain. Hell charge 399 see if I care.

You don't understand the appeal of virtual reality?
(also, optically, the display isn't close to your face)

Not when you still be sitting in a chair or standing in one spot. It doesn't really mean virtual reality to me; you are still playing Doom 3. Also, what do you mean it's not close to you face optically? The display is only 6-7 long; I think I'd have a huge problem with what I'm looking at being that close to my face.

Zulithe, what is it going to change? I don't see this changing how a game is made anymore that 3d did.

chiablo

I wonder if they can take games that currently support TrackIR and emulate that behavior with an Oculus. If that's the case, the hardcore flight sim fans will cover the world in ejaculate.

Durante

Also, what do you mean it's not close to you face optically? The display is only 6-7 long; I think I'd have a huge problem with what I'm looking at being that close to my face.
I mean that -- due to the way the optics are designed -- for your eyes/brain, it won't be like looking at a display that is close to your face, it will be like looking far away. Actually a more relaxed state than looking at a monitor.

I could see Sony embracing something like this in the future, given they have the hardware pedigree and did build and sell the HMZ-T2 which would be a good jumping point for their own. Or they just work with the Oculus team, too.

I'm excited to try something like this out. Not sure it will take off en masse, but it seems to be certainly disruptive.

Not when you still be sitting in a chair or standing in one spot. It doesn't really mean virtual reality to me; you are still playing Doom 3. Also, what do you mean it's not close to you face optically? The display is only 6-7 long; I think I'd have a huge problem with what I'm looking at being that close to my face.

Zulithe, what is it going to change? I don't see this changing how a game is made anymore that 3d did.

They're pushing the fact that the full experience can only be yielded through games built for the OR from the ground up. They're also exploring different control options like movement tracking. The ideal game for the device will probably be played standing up so you can turn around. The screen being that close could be bad for your eyes, but the lenses make it feel closer than it is, I believe. Plus you'll be focusing on artificial depth so that may help.

What was that comment of the newer prototype getting rid of the "blacks on the side"?
Isn't this supposed to have full coverage of the entire field of view?

The test unit we used isn't final. The final product will have 7" wide screen and no black edges.

red731

Sold.

I honestly think I couldn't handle Doom 3, it would be too nuts, i would go insane.

SCP, Amnesia, Slender...think about that.

ed: Bisnic, there was an interview and whilst the guys were talking, there was one guy demoing the Oculus - when he unstaped himself, he had glasses.

DieH@rd

Banned
That list specifically is culled from someone else setting up their own drivers for it
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=15570

He does plan on selling it

Actually Vireio project was moved few days ago from "commercial" to "open source" state. :)

The test unit we used isn't final. The final product will have 7" wide screen and no black edges.
FOV is 110 degrees diagonal and 90 degrees horizontal. More than enough to pull you inside the game world.

Rootbeer

Banned

Have you been watching the same videos as me? I have not tried it myself but I think you have to appreciate how virtually every one who tries this thing on is pretty blown away by the level of immersion it provides. When you couple the headset with the other features they have talked about adding, like devices you put on your hands so you can see them in the game world (and with time maybe even add virtual 'touch' sensation... lots of possibilities), it's spelling out a very compelling and unique future for gaming that I'm really excited about.

Amneisac

Seems really cool, I'm curious if there will be any adjust-ability of the screens themselves. I have Duanes Syndrome and it means my eyes don't move well together and I'm stereo blind. I can't look through binoculars and see one image in other words. I am assuming this wouldn't really work for me, or at the least I'd have to keep one eye closed the whole time.

Man....Battlefield with the Oculus? Getting in a jet and flying around or going in a helicopter and buzzing around or zipping around in a jeep? Racing or flight sim/combat games would seem to be even better than normal FPS games I'd think. This thing can't come out soon enough.

I'm really curious how other types of games would work with this, like third person games or strategy games or non first person games.

I am fucking dying to try this. If by some miracle it's ready for mainstream consumption within a few years, Sony should officially support it along with Move 2.0.

Jinko

This will be total mindfuck for the head. I just can't get over it.
I can tell that someone playing Mirror's Edge will fall forward while doing rolls.

ed: Imagine Alien game, where the Aliens have you prepared for facehugger facehug...or crush your skull with inside mouth.

Ever jumped off a cliff or something in a game and had that of shit this is guna hurt feeling ? can't imagine what that would be like with this. haha

1-D_FTW

That's probably the best video yet.

Despite my best efforts, I may cave anyways on this dev kit. This and a Motion Leap would be a real trip.

Racer30

The optics refracts the light coming from the screen onto your eyes into infinity...that makes it very relaxing for your eyes.

Imagine going back in time with this....to 1942, a nazi castle in the german alps for example, sneeking around :)

Damn I want this!!

Wallach

Man....Battlefield with the Oculus? Getting in a jet and flying around or going in a helicopter and buzzing around or zipping around in a jeep? Racing or flight sim/combat games would seem to be even better than normal FPS games I'd think. This thing can't come out soon enough.

I'm really curious how other types of games would work with this, like third person games or strategy games or non first person games.

It's crazy to think how all of the "small" aspects would change your minute-to-minute gameplay experience. Like actually just looking out the side/back of the vehicle you're driving to see your side view mirror or out the side windows. Nevermind all the moments in some games where you just stop and look around to appreciate the environment... you'll actually just be physically looking around as you move through the space.

I want this so bad.

The optics change the perceived distance of the screen. The lenses bend the light in such a way that your eyes focus as they would when you look at the horizon. This is called an infinity focus.

As to what it is going to change? Palmer Lucky talked about how up to now games have needed to focus largely on accomplishing tasks to be entertaining. Most games are a checklist of challenges for the player to overcome and not much more. When a game steps out of that pattern, even a little bit, it is usually really cool. With the added immersion of good vr, games can focus on exploration and environment more.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
It looks like a really cool piece of tech but I don't understand the appeal. That's not a knock against it but I have been thinking about why so many people are enamored by the idea of wearing a headset like this and having the display be so close to you face.

Well maybe you don't quite understand the difference - it pretty much 'tricks' your eyes into seeing a virtual world. Not a virtual screen, but your entire field of vision is this new view. Combined with quality 3D, it is unbelievably immersive.

Specifically, consider running into some... 10foot monstrosity in a game right now. in first person it's some large thing on your TV or computer monitor, kind of cool, but whatever.

Now imagine with this device, it looks like there is a 10 foot monstrosity standing in front of you, and you have to arch your neck back to see it's face.

Rootbeer

Banned
I'm afraid the hype for this thing is approaching unrealistic levels.
You mean buzz. Hype is just manufactured, marketed buzz. But buzz is real. It's comes from actual people using, being intrigued by, and sharing something. I think this is a major differentiating factor between something like the Oculus Rift and the pre-release hype of say, the Wii U, which quickly deflated once people got their hands on the real thing in their homes.

(Yes, I am a Wii U owner. Not hatin')

What if...

...in the future the whole PC will be embedded in the "glasses"? Can you imagine that? Fanless, ultra small form factor PC that weights 200 grams max inside the Occulus.

Running Doom 3 or Skyrim.

/Neo "Whoa!"

The funniest thing about the Oculus is that you really can't know what its like until you try it. You can bash it all you want (or love it all you want), but at the end of the day a youtube video can't give you the experience. How are you going to video review an OR game, IGN?

Have you been watching the same videos as me? I have not tried it myself but I think you have to appreciate how virtually every one who tries this thing on is pretty blown away by the level of immersion it provides. When you couple the headset with the other features they have talked about adding, like devices you put on your hands so you can see them in the game world (and with time maybe even add virtual 'touch' sensation... lots of possibilities), it's spelling out a very compelling and unique future for gaming that I'm really excited about.

I did watch the video but if you are saying that eventually this can be combined with a bunch of other devices they haven't made yet to change gaming then I understand a bit more. I just don't have any interest in being in the game. I went through my childhood with people promising and freaking out about that idea. Dactyl nightmare was cool but I've never felt like I wanted to walk around in a virtual space and pretend to touch objects.

Now imagine with this device, it looks like there is a 10 foot monstrosity standing in front of you, and you have to arch your neck back to see it's face.

I'd say 'whatever'. Again I'm not bashing the device, but I don't think I have any interest in the experience

And, I would still question whether this changes anything, even if it has the POTNETIAL to change everything. I guess I don't expect anyone to make these kind of total experiences from the ground up (that can only be played on this device?) until we see maybe %50 of potential users owning them

So this isn't something like a monitor but an actual piece of hardware that requires games to be made individually for it?

Was hoping I could just plug this into a 720/Ps4 :(

Artanisix

That reaction video was amazing.

Fucking fuck fucker fuck me in the fucking ass. I didn't want to spend $300 on a dev kit buuuuuuuuut I have to. I figure I didn't buy a 360 or PS3 or a Wii U so I am justified in spending a little on some new tech.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I want this thing on my face so bad. I absolutely can't wait for it to be widely supported.

One thing I don't know yet: Will the Oculous Rift work for games that aren't specifically designed for it or for movies?

Would it just not work at all, or would it be like the Sony HMZ where it's like you're looking at a big screen?

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I did watch the video but if you are saying that eventually this can be combined with a bunch of other devices they haven't made yet to change gaming then I understand a bit more. I just don't have any interest in being in the game. I went through my childhood with people promising and freaking out about that idea. Dactyl nightmare was cool but I've never felt like I wanted to walk around in a virtual space and pretend to touch objects.

So you understand what this device does but it doesn't hold appeal?

Think of it this way, it's just better display tech - like a higher res screen, or a better contrast ratio, or just bigger display.

Except the display is "everywhere you look". And it's not like looking at a screen that is completely wrapped around you, everything has depth, and it's very naturally feeling and easy on your eyes - supposedly less strain than looking at a monitor.

The 'immersion' factor is what makes this amazing. Looking at a monster on a screen is one thing, looking at a monster 'in it's face' is another.

I'd say 'whatever'. Again I'm not bashing the device, but I don't think I have any interest in the experience

And I'd say that's fine, not everyone is going to be excited about this and I wouldn't think any less of you for not enjoying it. But for video game enthusiasts and other sorts of 'nerds' - the idea of visual immersion is extremely appealing, and this seems to be the first device that really delivers, turning cynics into saints preaching on it's behalf.

This might be a stupid question but here it goes....

Is this like watching a Dome Imax movie with 3D glasses on?

I understand the 110FoV but this thing also has 3D right?

Durante

One thing I don't know yet: Will the Oculous Rift work for games that aren't specifically designed for it or for movies?

Would it just not work at all, or would it be like the Sony HMZ where it's like you're looking at a big screen?
Out of the box, it won't work.

For movies, the issue is that the FoV is far too big. You have to create a virtual movie screen to watch it on, and lose a lot of resolution in the process.

For games, they need to either be made Rift-compatible by the developers (the whole point of this dev kit), or some manner of support has to be hacked into them by the community.

kidko

When I finally can play Skyrim with this thing I will need to warn my wife to check on me from time to time to make sure I eat/sleep/pee

mrklaw

MrArseFace
For anyone who owns sonys tv headset. Are there any side effects in staring at a screen 3 inches away from your face hours at a time?

No, apart from caving your skull in from the weight.

Interesting reactions. Seems one guy could see the edge of the display, but otherwise really positive. I love how one of them was just looking at the floor for a while.

syko de4d

What if...

...in the future the whole PC will be embedded in the "glasses"? Can you imagine that? Fanless, ultra small form factor PC that weights 200 grams max inside the Occulus.

Running Doom 3 or Skyrim.

/Neo "Whoa!"

5-6inch smartphones in 2013 will run with 8 cores, Full HD, Tegra 4 etc...

it should be not that different to build in a 7 inch smartphone instead of a 7 inch screen. Just wait 5-10years ^^

Top Bottom