• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CES Oculus Rift Reactions

DieH@rd

Banned
This might be a stupid question but here it goes....

Is this like watching a Dome Imax movie with 3D glasses on?

I understand the 110FoV but this thing also has 3D right?

Yes it has 3D. But instead of your "cinema/hdtv" glassess filtering the data, with OR each of your eyes receives its own picture. There is no crosstalk or drop of brightness. Its pretty much best and most relaxing way to see "artificial 3D".

luffeN

Watched the video. Extremely cool. But it again made me come back to the same question. Small thing but if I play the game with a keyboard and a mouse do I have to learn to type blind? If game uses a large set of keys looks like we would need to be able to hit them without looking. Controller is easy of course.

So you will learn how to type blindly while playing games! :D And could this theoretically "cure" fear of height?

1-D_FTW

What if...

...in the future the whole PC will be embedded in the "glasses"? Can you imagine that? Fanless, ultra small form factor PC that weights 200 grams max inside the Occulus.

Running Doom 3 or Skyrim.

/Neo "Whoa!"

This is what I always thought Valve was gunning for with Linux. They're on record as stating these are going to be entirely new platforms in the future. So this is the vision they seem to have for AR/VR.

FinKL

You guys seriously need to stop posting this shit....

...or I'm going to order a dev kit just to get it sooner, I can't possibly be more excited about this.

I'm seriously debating... $300? You also consider the consumer version will probably be out at the end of 2013/2014 at a more expensive price. I think there will be a market for these once initial impressions hit April.

Maybe they are holding out on the consumer version to explore options in next gen consoles?

syko de4d

So you will learn how to type blindly while playing games! :D And could this theoretically "cure" fear of height?

i imagine it could help some people with they phobias. Height, Spiders, small room etc.
We will see.

I just want to chill on a Beach Chair on the VR Moon and listen to my Spotify Playlist :D

So you understand what this device does but it doesn't hold appeal?

Think of it this way, it's just better display tech - like a higher res screen, or a better contrast ratio, or just bigger display.

Except the display is "everywhere you look". And it's not like looking at a screen that is completely wrapped around you, everything has depth, and it's very naturally feeling and easy on your eyes - supposedly less strain than looking at a monitor.

The 'immersion' factor is what makes this amazing. Looking at a monster on a screen is one thing, looking at a monster 'in it's face' is another.

And I'd say that's fine, not everyone is going to be excited about this and I wouldn't think any less of you for not enjoying it. But for video game enthusiasts and other sorts of 'nerds' - the idea of visual immersion is extremely appealing, and this seems to be the first device that really delivers, turning cynics into saints preaching on it's behalf.

Well I feel like I'm hearing the same thing I heard when we got Ipads and other touch tablets. 'This is going to change everything' I think there lots of assumption come with new tech about how it's going to be used and lots of people assume it's going to be used in a very specific way that they would like to see it used. I think there is going to be lots of reality that comes with it and we will have to wait and see.

Now nobody take this the wrong way, but the idea of so many people wanting to immerse themself in these total world experiences kind of scares me. Immersion is fine but I'm very ok with being aware that I'm only playing a game. I'm not sure what it is but people wanting to 'escape' to another reality or virtual reality' bothers me.

Goron2000

best junior ever
Oh boy another thing to worry about for us Univision folks, first 3D and now VR. Not to shit on your parade guys I'm sure it's awesome just wish I could experience it.

chiablo

Something tells me this isn't going to work very well with third-person games where turning your head from side to side will rotate the camera rotationally around the character.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The optics change the perceived distance of the screen. The lenses bend the light in such a way that your eyes focus as they would when you look at the horizon. This is called an infinity focus.

As to what it is going to change? Palmer Lucky talked about how up to now games have needed to focus largely on accomplishing tasks to be entertaining. Most games are a checklist of challenges for the player to overcome and not much more. When a game steps out of that pattern, even a little bit, it is usually really cool. With the added immersion of good vr, games can focus on exploration and environment more.

Think about minecraft. Doesn't really have tasks, just lets you loose in a sandbox. Stuff like that could be great (really want minecraft support for OR)

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
When I finally can play Skyrim with this thing I will need to warn my wife to check on me from time to time to make sure I eat/sleep/pee

Just get a load of protein drinks and wear a nappy. Sorted.

Omikaru

Next time I upgrade my PC's GPU, it will hopefully be bought alongside one of these.

I don't think I've ever been more hyped about technology in my life.

Spookie

After dismissing this last year after watching the videos this week I've added another item to my Christmas wish list. :(

DieH@rd

Banned
Something tells me this isn't going to work very well with third-person games where turning your head from side to side will rotate the camera rotationally around the character.

Well, they can always implement this:
oculustpheadtrackingjgkmn.png

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Well I feel like I'm hearing the same thing I heard when we got Ipads and other touch tablets. 'This is going to change everything'
Maybe not the best example because touch screen devices like the iPads and the like are changing everything - and super quickly. iPad came out in 2010, and since then the tablet market has exploded and is being utilized in a lot of different ways, and company adoption of tablets keeps going up and up - and now more and more laptops/ultrabooks are being designed with tablet functionality in mind. It has changed everything~

I think there lots of assumption come with new tech about how it's going to be used and lots of people assume it's going to be used in a very specific way that they would like to see it used. I think there is going to be lots of reality that comes with it and we will have to wait and see.

Assumptions are going to happen, you're right. So I think that's why I'm trying to be hyped specifically about those things that people who have tried it have repeatedly spoken about as amazing - ie, scale and immersion.

Now nobody take this the wrong way, but the idea of so many people wanting to immerse themself in these total world experiences kind of scares me. Immersion is fine but I'm very ok with being aware that I'm only playing a game. I'm not sure what it is but people wanting to 'escape' to another reality or virtual reality' bothers me.
Well if you're worried about the ethics of something like this, I think that's a different thing. And I do think it might be an interesting conversation, especially if this device delivers on it's hype, even a little bit. Regardless - if I am going to say anything about the ethics in this thread it's simply "everything in moderation" - people take drugs, people go on vacation, people read novels and people do all sorts of things to 'escape their reality' - this is just another avenue.
Have there been reports of people get sick from playing with this for longer than the 10 minute PR-sessions?

A few people. Apparently it's been pretty random, some people who never normally get motion sick are getting motion sick, and some people who always get motion sick are fine - it's a mixed bag.

However the company is looking at tech they can implement to fight this - and things like positional tracking (which will be in the consumer model, guaranteed) and faster and faster screen refresh rates should alleviate these problems for more and more people.

Artanisix

I think using the word "escape" is being unfair. People don't want to escape this reality, they want to go visit a new reality. Very different things.

I predict they'll get purchased by a hardware maker of some type (Msft, Sony, Nintendo, Apple, Valve, etc.) if the device is truly ground breaking.

We'll see. Always good to see us moving more toward VR though.

syko de4d

If MS or Sony don't plan supporting it now I don't see future support for nextbox/PS4

all games with VR need VSYNC 60FPS and Stereo 3D and we all know that 60fps does not happen alot on consoles ^^

MS and Sony should just install the drivers etc. that oculus rift need to work on consoles and let the developer do with it what ever they want but i can´t see that happen.

Alchemy

You could also not use head tracking in games that aren't first person.

Goron2000

best junior ever
Stereoscopy works that way (like it does in reality!), but all the other features that make it "VR" instead of "3D" should still be the same without stereoscopic depth perception.
The FAQ without mentioning 3D says that you need two equal eyes as there are two images projected to your eyes.

Razorskin

----- ------
Watched the video. Extremely cool. But it again made me come back to the same question. Small thing but if I play the game with a keyboard and a mouse do I have to learn to type blind? If game uses a large set of keys looks like we would need to be able to hit them without looking. Controller is easy of course.

I guess you'd have to, but luckily I'm already a master a typing without looking at my keyboard.

ekim

all games with VR need VSYNC 60FPS and Stereo 3D and we all know that 60fps does not happen alot on consoles ^^

MS and Sony should just install the drivers etc. that oculus rift need to work on consoles and let the developer do with it what ever they want but i can´t see that happen.

Mh. Why 60 FPS?

For me, it's less about escaping reality and more about a much more intuitive and effective way of moving the game camera. It has very immediate benefits when it comes to any cockpit based games. I can look into turns easily, with 1 to 1 head tracking or follow a target with my eyes and head instead of aiming the entire vehicle.

KKRT00

Any info how would it exhaust eyes? How long can You play with it?

Skyrim in VR would be godlike, same goes for Battlefield 3 MP.

chiablo

Mh. Why 60 FPS?

For the same reason they needed the sensors to operate at 125+Hz, anything less and you can't replicate the experience of "being there" in the virtual world. VSync must be on so that tearing doesn't occur, which will also tear you out of the experience.

DieH@rd

Banned
For the same reason they needed the sensors to operate at 125+Hz, anything less and you can't replicate the experience of "being there" in the virtual world. VSync must be on so that tearing doesn't occur, which will also tear you out of the experience.

Well, imagine cyberpunk game and diving trough cyberspace... there, tearing will add to the impression of the "fucked up virtual reality" that is poking your brain.

Mr.Green

The FAQ without mentioning 3D says that you need two equal eyes as there are two images projected to your eyes.

There are two images projected to your eyes just like in the real world. Looking through the Rift is exactly* like looking at the real world.

*You fucking know what I mean.

Bricky

I hope this amazing thing succeeds not only because it deserves it, but also because of the impact it would have on the importance of atmosphere, details and HUD-design in games if it's actually succesfull. Even just walking around in Skyrim seems like it would be an amazing experience, so I can't even begin to imagine how exciting games which are actually made with VR in mind will be.

Also, we're one step closer to the scenario in the book Ready Player One. Oasis here I come!

Amir0x

Banned
Definitely seems like it's doing what it's supposed to. We're closer to full virtual reality, which is where we'll end up in 50 years (at the consumer level). Gotta see it myself to see if there's any critical drawbacks like autostereoscopic 3D or most motion controller tech today, though, before I get on board. People tend to really oversell these gimmicks in articles.

Top Bottom