• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kaz Hirai: We will let Microsoft make the first move

You may have noticed that there are lots of rumours flying about regarding next-gen consoles. No one knows definitely when Microsoft and Sony will unveil their successors to the current Xbox and PlayStation, but Sony CEO Kazuo Hirai has said that it will let Microsoft make the first move.

In the Business section of The Times today, Hirai said, "Why go first, when your competitors can look at your specifications and come up with something better?"

With Nintendo already out the next-gen blocks with the Wii U, can Sony hold its bottle until the Microsoft announces? Surely his comments are slightly disingenuous, since there would be relatively little scope for changing the specs of the PlayStation this late in its development cycle. It's more likely that the additional time would be use to adjust the messaging surrounding the announcement.

Source

eVbuzno.gif

"In the Business section of The Times today, Hirai said, "Why go first, when your competitors can look at your specifications and come up with something better?"

Because.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Surely his comments are slightly disingenuous, since there would be relatively little scope for changing the specs of the PlayStation this late in its development cycle.

Yeah. If MS is launching this year they'd be pretty locked-in at this point on the specification side.

His comment doesn't directly refer to Microsoft. Are we sure this isn't another case like Jack Tretton's comments last E3 when he was really referring to Nintendo and their new system?

Duffyside

Banned
This strikes me as foolish, Kaz. As if Microsoft hasn't known what you're doing every step of the way for the last two years.

Unless you've foolishly not kept any studios aprised? Uh... then what are we going to play on Orbis?

... Uh oh. 2006 all over again...

Yeah. If MS is launching this year they'd be pretty locked-in at this point on the specification side.

His comment doesn't directly refer to Microsoft. Are we sure this isn't another case like Jack Tretton's comments last E3 when he was really referring to Nintendo and their new system?
That's what I'm thinking too. I'd like to know if the question is regarding release dates or reveals?

Derrick01

Banned
That didn't work out so well last time around.

Aren't they only a few million apart? And that's with PS3's horrible start. Finishing 1st or 3rd or launching 1st is only fanboy bullshit anyway. It doesn't have anything to do with good business necessarily.

DaBuddaDa

Why make anything then? Everyone in the world should stop developing and creating anything at all because someone, somewhere might rip it off later maybe.

rvy

Banned
Aren't they only a few million apart? And that's with PS3's horrible start. Finishing 1st or 3rd or launching 1st is only fanboy bullshit anyway. It doesn't have anything to do with good business necessarily.

I don't know any sales figures, but I always got the idea that Microsoft made a lot of money while Sony lost a lot of it. They didn't start making profit on sold PS3s until what... 2008?

injurai

Banned
This better mean they are delaying not because of hardware, but to build up an extremely strong launch support. Both 1st and 3rd party.

Busty

Banned
I see........,

I think the plan here is for Sony to wait for Microsoft to go first and show their new console while Microsoft waits for Sony to go first and show off their new console all the while both are giggling at the WiiU.

BadWolf

Hopefully this means they have something to hide, a cool/unique feature maybe for the console and/or controller.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Surely there wouldn't be radical changes to either system at this point, correct?
In the vg247 ps4 thread we had this debate, I think they could make minor changes till probably June/July if they are shipping in Nov/Dec. It will affect the supply for launch if they do that though.

javac

So its official? Even so, Its cant be that behind Durango right? A few months behind at best and surely not a repeat of last gen?

TriGen

We don't even have the context of the question. I doubt he was talking about next-gen systems. This is probably just like that thread where he said they want to make more expensive products -- and sell to people that want to pay the premium. He wasn't talking about selling PS4 at twice the price or anything. Without context it's meaningless.

Derrick01

Banned
I don't know any sales figures, but I always got the idea that Microsoft made a lot of money while Sony lost a lot of it. They didn't start making profit on sold PS3s until what... 2008?

That has nothing to do with launching behind MS though. That's the poor decisions Sony made with PS3's hardware design with Cell and Blu Ray.

Alienous

Wait, what?

So .. so, go second? Because that worked fantastically for the PS3.

Is Microsoft going to look at the Orbis specs and go 'Yeah, do exactly that and add an extra stick of RAM'? If they could come out with something better, they would.

Sounds more like a lack of confidence than anything else.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
There is only so much you can do when you are trying to build an affordable console and also make a slight profit on it. Unless one of them is prepared to take losses its impossible to outspec the other by a significant amount. It's also simply too late for last minute changes.

I hope they don't wait too long. I'm going to get either MS or Sony's next machine on Day One to go with my Wii U and PC. I'm leaning towards Sony currently (though that could easily change), but if they wait too long after MS launches, I'm not sure I could hold off on picking up Nextbox.

Sony used to be the leader....

Top Bottom